Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Star Trek Discovery - Should you watch it?

This is for everyone viewing the thread with no prior experiences from older Star Trek tv shows or even movies.
    Discounting the reboot trilogy.

Should this be your first Star Trek show?

In my highly esteemed, never wrong, objective opinion,

No.

If you have no frame of reference to what the series as a whole has been about, don't start here.

There are few reasons.

1) It's a prequel that has nothing to do with the original series. By prequel I refer to it taking place a decade before the original Series in 60's started.

2) Serialized instead of episodic.

It's been established fact that all star trek shows prior were episodic in nature. An episode's plot would be started and resolved in the span of 45 minutes or so. Overarching plot lines would exist but they would not be referenced in each episode.

You would need to watch the whole season to stay on track of everything and right now I don't think the series is worth it.

3) first impression effect

Some of us, myself included saw Star Wars prequels first before episodes 4, 5 and 6. I use that as a reference because it's a good comparison to make.

Those were more impressive looking and more action based. Going from them to the older ones made them look boring and dated.

Original Series has aged like milk. Few episodes are fine to watch because they had great writing and stories. Another good point of the episodic structure.

Star Trek: The Next Generation is the show I'd recommend you check out BEFORE you try this.

Watch its pilot, and then any singular episode like "Measure of a man", "Who watches the watchers", ",Offspring" or "Lessons" for example

For everyone who knows what old trek was, I'd be happy to discuss this new show.

See you in the desert... Makenzye's Avatar
    Have to agree that some of the story pay off only comes from knowing the story in the future.

Some of it also feels like fanfic brought to life some with the main character.

Love the design of the ship, though an important aspect of the ship is hard to take seriously for some people.

Also it is dark like the damn night. Seriously there seem to only be fifteen damn lighbulbs on the whole ship or something.

I also have heard that some people say skip the first two episodes entirely as the third episode serves as a "second pilot" and was much better received by many "hardcore" Trek fans if that means anything to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When the showrunners said that Klingons are in this show like "white supremacists", and they referenced Trump, I was really worried. No alien race is without redeeming qualities in star trek. No matter what analogy they are in the episodes they appear. Klingons are proud. Not an analogy for racism.

But yeah, episode 4 is alright, though the problem is, the cast is unlikable. I find myself rooting for the Klingon main character because his plot arc is more sympathetic compared to the dready atmosphere in the USS Discovery ship. The characters aren't established like they are in orville.
    Yeah, that was a really weird statement to make. Like I sorta understood what they were getting at, but it was a clunky and ill-advised way of describing what they wanted to tell.

Though to be fair, Klingons do tend to be pretty racist. As do Romulans.

Oh shizz. I'm posting this in the wrong place. Let me copy/paste this in the other thread. Here we go.

My big problem, and it's only a weird one, is the designs. Like the Klingon designs always seemed to favor a more simple straight forward approach and all these designs seem like the most ornate ships in Star Trek. Especially weird as this series takes place only ten years before the the original series.

I do like all the updates to how the Federation ships work, though I think that viewscreen is overused.
    Last edited by Makenzye; 10-13-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Technicalities and all that are fine. They shouldn't emulate the older style. If ships looked like they did in the old shows from inside it'd be absurd.

I think the dimness is related to Captain Lorca. I heard he's hypersensitive to light?

And yeah episode 3 was better than the pilot two-parter.

As for klingons and romulans being racist, i agree on romulans, but klingons only treated weakness as a fault and as their social structure was built on strength, they viewed other races as weaker. If you showed them your strength you were accepted. If that makes it clear.

Prejudice is their fault. That's all it should be

- - - Updated - - -
    @Makenzye;

Technicalities and all that are fine. They shouldn't emulate the older style. If ships looked like they did in the old shows from inside it'd be absurd.

I think the dimness is related to Captain Lorca. I heard he's hypersensitive to light?

And yeah episode 3 was better than the pilot two-parter.

As for klingons and romulans being racist, i agree on romulans, but klingons only treated weakness as a fault and as their social structure was built on strength, they viewed other races as weaker. If you showed them your strength you were accepted. If that makes it clear.

Prejudice is their fault. That's all it should be

- - - Updated - - -
    @Makenzye;
    That's sort of racism, but I always saw it more as "speciesism" or something like cultural/tribal superiority and that's why they stay independent of the Federation as opposed to just straight, "We can't even conceive of other races." Like, I guess you would say American and British sports teams at the Olympics. Except played on an interstellar scale. They respected strength, but it only ever seemed to keep them from immediately killing whoever was in front of them. lol Usually the rank and file Klingons tended to be dismissive and brutish of non-Klingons but that always seemed to be more quickhand so the Klingons didn't just look like window dressing. I wouldn't say it's in the, "Let's dress up in our hoods and burn crosses" variety but I'd say they had some problems with racism. Not like the Romulans, though. Those guys were just straight racist.

The Discovery klingons seem a bit more racist in some ways. But I think it's more the fanaticism being emphasized with Klingons in Discovery with some sort of superiority of their culture and religion. They've always had racist undertones before but I never felt racism was the thing for them. Not when there's races like Ferengi who do make rules based entirely on race or gender. Especially weird since apparently there's like fifteen races of Klingon now. If racism was straight their thing, they'd have a lot more problems with infighting than they already do.

Yeah, Lorca had some sort of eye damage and he has to have it dark but from the way the halls are built and stuff it's just funny how one light follows people down a hallway. lol

With designs, I meant I like how they updated how some of the stuff worked but the overall designs of the ships felt... wrong. I mean definitely wouldn't want like the big block bright plastic knobs and terrible projector screen swirly displays, but it would be nice to keep some of the ship aesthetics a bit closer to what we've seen. It's stupid, but continuity is sort of a thing and when I don't see it visually I have a hard time just accepting it's taking place at the same time. Sort of like if I saw a movie where the American Revolution was played out with automatic rifles and motorcycles or something.

It's not possible to do a period piece from a future scenario.

Do you know section 31? It's the federation's black ops.

Like Roots is to konoha

It's not possible to do a period piece from a future scenario.

Do you know section 31? It's the federation's black ops.

Like Roots is to konoha
    Yeah. I figured that's what the black badge was for. But it would be pretty funny for an organization that's meant to be unknown have a special badge.

Jfc....

Episode budget of 10 million

That's Game of Thrones level money

Episode 5 thoughts. Spoiler free

Rainn Wilson was good guest actor in this, I still dislike the crew dynamic, but one character gained few points in my book. Lorca had some humanization as well. I guess this made those 2 feel like actual human beings. Or aliens, but you get the point. No klingon plot advancement, but we got to hear what they sound when their mouth isn't so full of junk... which leads me to believe they realized as well how the klingons sound and eased their talking a bit.

Mirror universe next. The meme now is that this side is the mirror universe.

Ripper

So I've broken my personal rule with this series: The rule regarding how I ingest a show. In particular my idea I should watch something before I view another's opinion on it. And since I won't fork over cash for CBS Go, that's how I've been keeping up. Meaning if I'm off on something please forgive me on it.

It's a pretty dark little series so far. The characters seem to be trying to grow their interest through trying to make them seem mysterious in their backgrounds as opposed to being appealing as characters. Sorta glad how the latest episode ended basically getting rid of the convenience the series already received in the last episode. Might even hint as to why we don't ever see this again.

The ship design? Sharp. Though the concept behind the ship seems a little silly. lol

So yeah, lorca scenes are best in this series. Because you get emotion and care for his survival. Shame the lead actress can't deliver her lines with more heart. I mean it's always either technical talk, or some life advice. There's no small talk, no bonding. Just "the quantum field distortion warps the space-time around the nebula. We should probe it"

So yeah, lorca scenes are best in this series. Because you get emotion and care for his survival. Shame the lead actress can't deliver her lines with more heart. I mean it's always either technical talk, or some life advice. There's no small talk, no bonding. Just "the quantum field distortion warps the space-time around the nebula. We should probe it"
    I think for Sondra (I think that's her real name) they're really trying to play up how "Vulcan" she is, with very little nuance or complexity as a being of "pure logic" rather than "rule by logic." It looks like they might be trying to grow her from the outside than from the inside, which will be kind of sucky because she'll either be seen as character degeneration or forced character change.

But it looks like most people agree with you about Lorca. Most fans seem more interested in him than pretty much anybody else, a close second being Saru who seems to be a fan favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I think for Sondra (I think that's her real name) they're really trying to play up how "Vulcan" she is, with very little nuance or complexity as a being of "pure logic" rather than "rule by logic." It looks like they might be trying to grow her from the outside than from the inside, which will be kind of sucky because she'll either be seen as character degeneration or forced character change.

But it looks like most people agree with you about Lorca. Most fans seem more interested in him than pretty much anybody else, a close second being Saru who seems to be a fan favorite.
    Saru is a bit meh for me until I see an episode with him on the focus.

Oh right they don't do that

Saru is a bit meh for me until I see an episode with him on the focus.

Oh right they don't do that
    Honestly, she might have been a better and more interesting character if she were a side character and the "main character" was a more optimistic person being brought on to Discovery against the backdrop of all the mystery and potentially shady stuff going on.

Honestly, she might have been a better and more interesting character if she were a side character and the "main character" was a more optimistic person being brought on to Discovery against the backdrop of all the mystery and potentially shady stuff going on.
    Like Tilly?

Like Tilly?
    I dunno about her. Mostly seem to just see her as the "cute" one. It might be interesting to see someone go from cadet on up, though.

I was thinking more along the line of the the chief engineer guy, who clearly is there for the exploration and science. Maybe not him exactly but maybe someone like him.

I dunno about her. Mostly seem to just see her as the "cute" one. It might be interesting to see someone go from cadet on up, though.

I was thinking more along the line of the the chief engineer guy, who clearly is there for the exploration and science. Maybe not him exactly but maybe someone like him.
    He'd need to be on the bridge to be part of the away missions.

They...they still have those right?

He'd need to be on the bridge to be part of the away missions.

They...they still have those right?
    Im hoping so. So far it looks like they're content to keep everybody on ship with the only off ship stuff being a vision or something.

Im hoping so. So far it looks like they're content to keep everybody on ship with the only off ship stuff being a vision or something.
    Which is a shame given the 10 million episode budget.

They don't even have any great sets in the ship. Not ones where I'd enjoy to be

I think the new movies ruined Star Trek as a series... They took it into that "action" genre rather than adventure one. The true essence of Star Trek was "To go where no man has gone before". Unfortunately I believe that the new series got the bad influence from the movies

But that's just my opinion.
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
    I think the new movies ruined Star Trek as a series... They took it into that "action" genre rather than adventure one. The true essence of Star Trek was "To go where no man has gone before". Unfortunately I believe that the new series got the bad influence from the movies

But that's just my opinion.
    Third one is actually good, apart from the villain, but yeah, alex kurtsman written nothing but terrible movies like Star Trek Into Darkness and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and he's a co-creator of this