Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    yeah renly was even showing ned a portrait of margarey to ned asking him if she looked like lyanna and ned was like
    No.​

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Renly is a pretty shitty person, he made fun of stannis's "ugly daughter" who has greyscale on her face (the stuff jorah had on his body in season 7)

    and he tried stealing stannis's crown

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,911
    In A Game Of Thrones he does question to Ned how he could give birth to such a insane son so he clearly knew something was up with Joffrey.

  4. #24
    Great warrior but honestly he is an incompetent, lazy buffoon of a king.

  5. #25
    The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    9,954
    Robert was a king of war. If he was still alive as one the kings running around he might be one of the strongest contenders.


    The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by felixng2015 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great warrior but honestly he is an incompetent, lazy buffoon of a king.
    He himself admitted he enver should have been king. Still, he was an overall good man despite his flaws and wasn't really power hungry. Which in of itself made his rule a decent one for most people.
    No.​

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He himself admitted he enver should have been king. Still, he was an overall good man despite his flaws and wasn't really power hungry. Which in of itself made his rule a decent one for most people.
    What exactly makes him a good man? I hardly consider a guy who fathered a ton of bastards who he didnt support a good man

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by felixng2015 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What exactly makes him a good man? I hardly consider a guy who fathered a ton of bastards who he didnt support a good man
    Who says he didn't support them?
    No.​

  9. #29
    He did support some at least, him or Jon Arryn paid that blacksmith to take Gendry in and teach him how to smith.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who says he didn't support them?
    Pretty sure only Jon Arryn helped out the bastards. Robert didn't really care, heck he isn't even a decent father to his "legitimate kids" and its not like he knew they were Jaime's.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by felixng2015 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty sure only Jon Arryn helped out the bastards. Robert didn't really care, heck he isn't even a decent father to his "legitimate kids" and its not like he knew they were Jaime's.
    That's not true. He did care about his baseborn children. Here are a few quotes from characters confirming this:

    From Ned:
    Ned remembered Roberts first child as well, a daughter born in the Vale when Robert was scarcely more than a boy himself. A sweet little girl; the young lord of Storms End had doted on her. He used to make daily visits to play with the babe, long after he had lost interest in the mother. Ned was often dragged along for company, whether he willed it or not. The girl would be seventeen or eighteen now, he realized; older than Robert had been when he fathered her.


    From Cersei:
    Her husbands by-blows had his look as well, though at least Robert had the grace to keep them out of sight. Once, after that sorry business with the cat, he had made some noises about bringing some baseborn daughter of his to court. Do as you please, shed told him, but you may find that the city is not a healthy place for a growing girl. The bruise those words had won her had been hard to hide from Jaime, but they heard no more about the bastard girl.
    From Sansa:
    Her hair was black as a ravens wing, so short and shaggy that Alayne suspected that she cut it with a dagger. Myas eyes were her best feature, big and blue...Yes, she thought, looking at her now, those are his eyes, and she has his hair too, the thick black hair he shared with Renly.


    Mya shook her head. I remember a man throwing me in the air when I was very little. He stands as tall as the sky, and he throws me up so high it feels as though Im flying. Were both laughing, laughing so much that I can hardly catch a breath, and finally I laugh so hard I wet myself, but that only makes him laugh the louder. I was never afraid when he was throwing me. I knew that he would always be there to catch me. She pushed her hair back. Then one day he wasnt."
    The Mya that is talking is Mya Stone, most likely Robert's first child. He would visit her, send her gifts and even wanted her to live with him in the castle. Or at least near him. Virtually no one is willing to let a 'filthy bastard' into their own house like that. The fact that he even considered it shows that he loved his children very, very much. If he ever stopped visiting them it was because 1.) he was king and couldn't go where he pleased whenever he pleased and 2.) Cersei threatened his daughter's life when he said he wanted to bring her to King's Landing.

    As for Cersei's kids, it's obvious he felt nothing for them because they weren't his children. He didn't know it, of course, but somewhere deep down he must have felt something wasn't right. He even questioned how someone like Joffrey could come from him.


    No.​

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not true. He did care about his baseborn children. Here are a few quotes from characters confirming this:



    The Mya that is talking is Mya Stone, most likely Robert's first child. He would visit her, send her gifts and even wanted her to live with him in the castle. Or at least near him. Virtually no one is willing to let a 'filthy bastard' into their own house like that. The fact that he even considered it shows that he loved his children very, very much. If he ever stopped visiting them it was because 1.) he was king and couldn't go where he pleased whenever he pleased and 2.) Cersei threatened his daughter's life when he said he wanted to bring her to King's Landing.

    As for Cersei's kids, it's obvious he felt nothing for them because they weren't his children. He didn't know it, of course, but somewhere deep down he must have felt something wasn't right. He even questioned how someone like Joffrey could come from him.


    If he really cared he wouldnt have fathered so many children he knew he wouldnt be able to take care off. And thats just one child out of how many? And i dont blame cersei one bit she is a cunt but robert was a horrific husband. She wanted to give it a shot but he didnt and was pining for a dead woman who never even wanted him. He would have cheated on lyanna and she knew it

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by felixng2015 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he really cared he wouldnt have fathered so many children he knew he wouldnt be able to take care off. And thats just one child out of how many? And i dont blame cersei one bit she is a cunt but robert was a horrific husband. She wanted to give it a shot but he didnt and was pining for a dead woman who never even wanted him. He would have cheated on lyanna and she knew it
    1. What do you mean by 'he knew he wasn't able to take care of?' He was born as the heir to House Baratheon, became lord at a young age and then was later king. He was more than capable of taking care of all of his children, baseborn or otherwise, if the mothers weren't capable of doing so. There's no indication in the series that any of his bastards that he knew about were not provided for one way or another. Of the two we're certain he knew of, one lived a fairly comfortable life in the Vale (he even visited her and sent her gifts, as I already highlighted) and the other had been formally acknowledged by Robert. Robert would also sent him generous gifts each year. There's zero indication in the series that he was indifferent to any of his actual children. On the contrary, everything indicates that he did love them and would have brought them closer to him if he could have.

    2. What do you mean you don't blame Cersei one bit? She threatened to kill a child. Robert was admittedly not a good husband by any means, but being a bad husband is no excuse for threatening to kill a child. And Cersei never tried to be a good wife. She maybe thinks she did, but she's also a sociopath.

    I'm not sure where all this talk of cheating comes from. Westerosi don't think like most of us do. It is not considered cheating for a man (especially a nobleman) to sleep with other than his wife, provided that the other woman was not married. It's not seen as honorable, but it's not seen as breaking any vows either and for the most part it seems the woman didn't mind. Even Catelyn didn't mind that Ned slept with another woman, she just didn't like the fact that Jon was kept so close.
    No.​

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1. What do you mean by 'he knew he wasn't able to take care of?' He was born as the heir to House Baratheon, became lord at a young age and then was later king. He was more than capable of taking care of all of his children, baseborn or otherwise, if the mothers weren't capable of doing so. There's no indication in the series that any of his bastards that he knew about were not provided for one way or another. Of the two we're certain he knew of, one lived a fairly comfortable life in the Vale (he even visited her and sent her gifts, as I already highlighted) and the other had been formally acknowledged by Robert. Robert would also sent him generous gifts each year. There's zero indication in the series that he was indifferent to any of his actual children. On the contrary, everything indicates that he did love them and would have brought them closer to him if he could have.

    2. What do you mean you don't blame Cersei one bit? She threatened to kill a child. Robert was admittedly not a good husband by any means, but being a bad husband is no excuse for threatening to kill a child. And Cersei never tried to be a good wife. She maybe thinks she did, but she's also a sociopath.

    I'm not sure where all this talk of cheating comes from. Westerosi don't think like most of us do. It is not considered cheating for a man (especially a nobleman) to sleep with other than his wife, provided that the other woman was not married. It's not seen as honorable, but it's not seen as breaking any vows either and for the most part it seems the woman didn't mind. Even Catelyn didn't mind that Ned slept with another woman, she just didn't like the fact that Jon was kept so close.
    No one including catelyn stark wants to have a bastard raised in their home. Even catelyn stark literally wished for jon snow to die.
    Catelyn did mind she would be able look past cheating however but not raising a bastard.

    Robert has some redeeming qualities but lets not think of him as a good individual. He's better than scum like cersei and littlefinger but thats not saying much. He's the guy who is fun to hang out with and party with but he's also the type of guy who would offload all of his responsibilities to someone else with no hesitation.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by felixng2015 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one including catelyn stark wants to have a bastard raised in their home. Even catelyn stark literally wished for jon snow to die.
    Catelyn did mind she would be able look past cheating however but not raising a bastard.

    Robert has some redeeming qualities but lets not think of him as a good individual. He's better than scum like cersei and littlefinger but thats not saying much. He's the guy who is fun to hang out with and party with but he's also the type of guy who would offload all of his responsibilities to someone else with no hesitation.
    Catelyn was ashamed that she hated Jon so much and she was ashamed that she ever thought Jon should die. And who cares what she thought anyway? Her opinion about Jon was stupid and she was an idiot for it. Regardless of what anyone thinks, you don't threaten the life of a child and you definitely don't tell your husband you'll kill his own freaking daughter if he brings her home. So I don't see how you can say you don't blame Cersei. You can absolutely blame her for everything.

    He wasn't a bad person if that's what you're getting at.He was very, very flawed for sure but that doesn't mean he was a bad person. You're taking everything good about him and putting it to the side for some reason. As for offloading all of his responsibilities, he obviously did that because he knew he wasn't actually a good king. The fact that he wanted desperately to leave but didn't because he knew the realm would suffer for it shows that he didn't offload his responsibilities for the hell of it. Besides, being irresponsible and being a bad person aren't the same thing.
    No.​

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I completely forgot about this conversation Robert had with Ned:

    So yeah, he knew something was up. Cersei probably stepped in whenever he tried to discipline Joffrey and even if he figured Cersei out early on there's no way he could separate from her since he needed Tywin so much.
    "And what were you telling him, pray? I did not fight a war to seat Robert the Second on the Iron Throne. You gave me to understand the boy cared nothing for his father."
    Why would he? Robert ignored him. He would have beat him if I'd allowed it. That brute you made me marry once hit the boy so hard he knocked out two of his baby teeth, over some mischief with a cat. I told him I'd kill him in his sleep if he ever did it again, and he never did, but sometimes he would say things . . ."
    "It appears things needed to be said." Lord Tywin waved two fingers at her, a brusque dismissal. "Go."

    Robert tried to discipline him. Cersei wouldn't allow it.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "And what were you telling him, pray? I did not fight a war to seat Robert the Second on the Iron Throne. You gave me to understand the boy cared nothing for his father."
    Why would he? Robert ignored him. He would have beat him if I'd allowed it. That brute you made me marry once hit the boy so hard he knocked out two of his baby teeth, over some mischief with a cat. I told him I'd kill him in his sleep if he ever did it again, and he never did, but sometimes he would say things . . ."
    "It appears things needed to be said." Lord Tywin waved two fingers at her, a brusque dismissal. "Go."

    Robert tried to discipline him. Cersei wouldn't allow it.

    Yeah. Cersei is messed up.
    No.​

  18. #38
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,743
    I don't know what Robert was supposed to do in this position, though. He couldn't touch Joff with Cersei around and if he did anything to her there would have been war.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know what Robert was supposed to do in this position, though. He couldn't touch Joff with Cersei around and if he did anything to her there would have been war.
    He should have married someone else. There is evidence that he tried early in their marriage.

    In the early years of their marriage, Robert was forever imploring her to hunt with him, but Cersei had always begged off. His hunting trips allowed her time with Jaime. Golden days and silver nights. It was a dangerous dance that they had danced, to be sure. Eyes and ears were everywhere within the Red Keep, and one could never be certain when Robert would return. Somehow the peril had only served to make their times together that much more thrilling. Go and hunt, Cersei had urged Robert, half a hundred times.My brother keeps me well protected.




  20. #40
    Cafe Conqueror X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Sensei View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He should have married someone else. There is evidence that he tried early in their marriage.

    In the early years of their marriage, Robert was forever imploring her to hunt with him, but Cersei had always begged off. His hunting trips allowed her time with Jaime. Golden days and silver nights. It was a dangerous dance that they had danced, to be sure. Eyes and ears were everywhere within the Red Keep, and one could never be certain when Robert would return. Somehow the peril had only served to make their times together that much more thrilling. Go and hunt, Cersei had urged Robert, half a hundred times.My brother keeps me well protected.



    Yeah, he tried to marry Lyanna... Like, there was no way he knew Cersei was going to end up as bad as she was.


    The Commander From Hell

    We The North








Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •