Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Danganronpa V3

Any of you guys having trouble with the Free Time Events? My first two with Gonta were fine, but the next two I didn't get any more fragments from him. I gave him different presents but I looked it up after and they were all the best presents to give him.

I'm guessing his later FTEs were locked in Ch1 but there didn't seem to be any way to tell until you give him a present.

After trial 2, I'm starting to doubt V3 is the same continuity as DR1 and 2. Mostly because if it is, I might be depressed if the story is going where i think it's going.

Anyone want to guess what the endgame for the outside world is like? (Eg: The tragedy/New world program)

Quote Originally Posted by Genbu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After trial 2, I'm starting to doubt V3 is the same continuity as DR1 and 2. Mostly because if it is, I might be depressed if the story is going where i think it's going.

Anyone want to guess what the endgame for the outside world is like? (Eg: The tragedy/New world program)
    no guesses on the endgame, but i feel like it's becoming more and more clear what the answer to the continuity question is going to be

i am on the freetime segment of C3 atm, and i just saw another hint that the new hope's peak storyline is quite simply just a fictional story in the NDRV3 storyline. the first hint (ultra despair girls 2) i just brushed off as a tongue-in-cheek joke by the writers, but with ouma's comment about junko sacrificing mukurou and referring to it as an anime, i am basically sure that hope's peak is quite literally just a work of fiction in a work of fiction.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's not only the DR-related hints that make me think that either. there have been so many references to actual things that exist in our world (men in black, fate, the white house/kremlin in ouma's first friendship convo etc.) that it truly cannot be a red herring if they spent so much effort into setting up the NDRV3 universe as being consistent with our modern universe. obviously there's always the possibility that they are setting up those expectations simply to squash them later (an anti-twist so to speak), but i am growing increasingly unsure of that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag View Post
    no guesses on the endgame, but i feel like it's becoming more and more clear what the answer to the continuity question is going to be

i am on the freetime segment of C3 atm, and i just saw another hint that the new hope's peak storyline is quite simply just a fictional story in the NDRV3 storyline. the first hint (ultra despair girls 2) i just brushed off as a tongue-in-cheek joke by the writers, but with ouma's comment about junko sacrificing mukurou and referring to it as an anime, i am basically sure that hope's peak is quite literally just a work of fiction in a work of fiction.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's not only the DR-related hints that make me think that either. there have been so many references to actual things that exist in our world (men in black, fate, the white house/kremlin in ouma's first friendship convo etc.) that it truly cannot be a red herring if they spent so much effort into setting up the NDRV3 universe as being consistent with our modern universe. obviously there's always the possibility that they are setting up those expectations simply to squash them later (an anti-twist so to speak), but i am growing increasingly unsure of that possibility.

This thought never crossed my mind but Kodaka's big enough of a hack to pull it off after DR3's mess. I don't believe that's the twist though. Rantaro called the that it was a killing game in the prologue and if it really was an anime, I highly doubt Tsumugi wouldn't have caught on where only role so far has been to make dumb anime references. If she can't do even that right then she might be the most worthless addition to the DR story of all.

I'm on chapter 3's trial right now and my guess is that the world has LITERALLY ended. That's pretty much the theme I've been getting so far (even the name of the wall that surrounds them) and Monokuma has said that he's the ruler of the world multiple times now. Monokuma talks in riddles and tells half-truths but he never outright lies. The twist I'm predicting is that the school the characters are in is the only safe haven in the world like Hope's Peak in the first game and Monokuma has infiltrated it as a homage.

Then there's the nature of the Exisals, which serve as the monobeasts for the second game. Only way these machines can exist are if: They're in a digital world like DR2 or, as I believe, this game is taking place several years into the future in the main continuity.

At this point, I'm sure Ouma's the mastermind as he's the supreme ruler, just like Monokuma is. This would also coincide with my belief that the identity of the mastermind is irrelevant in this killing game because there's nothing left for whoever wins or loses.

What I'm unsure of is the funeral that was held and what group it is Ouma leads. The former especially makes no sense to me yet unless this really is a virtual world and they've been captured by the ultimate hunt group.

To add to that theory is that there is always an irony to escaping the killing game. DR1 was trying to escape a school they manufactured to protect themselves from the outside world and trapping themselves with what they sought to escape from. DR2's was that they intentionally placed themselves inside the killing game as UD and leaving it was arguably more harmful than staying. For V3, they're the last hope of an extinct humanity yet end up killing themselves for a world that doesn't exist anymore. It would also make Tojo's efforts all the more meaningless since the crisis that threatened the country is already over.

And I just realized this

but with ouma's comment about junko sacrificing mukurou and referring to it as an anime
    I've either yet to come across this reference ( FTE?) or it flew by my head. But if nobody (Tsumugi again) responded to Ouma's comment, that means he could have actually been lying about it being an anime. That would also mean he knows about the Despair sisters.

Part way through Chapter 2, no murder yet.

Kokichi = Avalon, Kiyo = Crispy

Kokichi is hanging out with Gonta way too much, he better not trick him into killing someone

Case 2 in-depth analysis

GONTA LIVES TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY

#GONTAWILLSURVIVE

Chapter 3 thoughts

Better than the previous 2 games, which says pretty much nothing as DR1's case 3 made Celeste look incompetent and DR2's was just an incoherent mess. V3's murder itself was handled better but the waste of a culprit definitely wasn't. The trial had a good thing going with the addition of a long obscure ruling - what if 2 separate people killed culprits. This trial could have been infinitely more interesting if Korekiyo had killed Tenko with no repercussions. Killing off Ange as well (technically first) was retarded and did him no favors. Himiko's character development is going to be boring as all fuck; it'd have been decent if she had killed Ange initially and ends up getting voted as the blackened despite having a higher moral ground than Korekiyo. They could have done quite a bit and ended up wasting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Genbu View Post
    To add to that theory is that there is always an irony to escaping the killing game. DR1 was trying to escape a school they manufactured to protect themselves from the outside world and trapping themselves with what they sought to escape from. DR2's was that they intentionally placed themselves inside the killing game as UD and leaving it was arguably more harmful than staying. For V3, they're the last hope of an extinct humanity yet end up killing themselves for a world that doesn't exist anymore. It would also make Tojo's efforts all the more meaningless since the crisis that threatened the country is already over.

And I just realized this

I've either yet to come across this reference ( FTE?) or it flew by my head. But if nobody (Tsumugi again) responded to Ouma's comment, that means he could have actually been lying about it being an anime. That would also mean he knows about the Despair sisters.

before case 3 happens, they talk about killing games in the dining hall. ouma says that he once saw an anime in which the mastermind of the game committed the first kill by murdering their own relative in the game as an exercise of power (obviously referring to junko more or less directly causing mukuro's death in DR1).

anyways i might also just be taking all of that too seriously and it might just be meant to be tongue-in-cheek jokes by the writers.

case 3 thoughts

this case was very odd.. i almost don't want to talk about it.

now i am not necessarily only talking about shinguji. however, that twist was weird even for DR-standards. it's not that i dislike the twist for being strange, it was just set up very awkwardly. there was not a single hint at shinguji's demented mind, then he does a 180 and the weirdest characterization in the history of the franchise happened. the sister bullshit was really so weird that the writers had to have been doped out of their minds to come up with it.

the case itself had a very strange flow to it also. after getting to the core of the first murder, they switch you to the second one, then after solving that one they make the connection back to the first one. now i obviously realize that it was the whole intent, but i feel like the transition itself between the murders was very artificial and did not feel natural at all.

shinguji committing a double kill was also a complete waste of what could have been an incredibly interesting development.

they could have made tenko the culprit in angie's case and shinguji kill tenko, resulting in the students having to live with a confirmed murderer among their ranks because of the new school regulation. or they could have picked anyone else other than shinguji to commit the second murder. but this was just a complete waste in my opinion, there's nothing interesting about yet another double kill by one culprit. i guess they really want case 3 in danganronpa to be a doublekill with one culprit given that was the case in DR1 and DR2 too, but i would much prefer if they just simply stopped with these similarities that are incorporated in every new game.. never saw the value in them and they just lessen my interest in the plot.

the monokuma rule being added after shinguji already committed the second kill was an incredibly forced development imo and something that felt very out of character for monokuma to do. i was really ticked off by that, there's also no way in hell shinguji wouldn't ask monokuma what would happen if he killed tenko after he killed angie. monokuma was always written in a way that made it clear he was completely aware of everything happening in the academy, and you can always call out to him at any point in time and he'll show up. but shinguji was completely unaware of the new rule until monokuma added it, meaning he never asked him privately, which is just completely moronic and tough for me to believe.

now i will agree that NDRV3's case 3 is better than DR1's and DR2's, but as genbu said, the competition isn't exactly fierce.

DR1 had the worst culprit in the history of the franchise and DR2 was a case that you could solve before the trial even happened, with another garbo culprit. but this case is just so strange on so many levels and completely dropped the ball on what could have been unique developments with very promising dynamics for the cast, but instead we got lipstick shinguji and his mentally ill pipe dreams.

pre case 4 thoughts

now i just finished case 3 and unlocked the new areas, but do the writers seriously want to tell me that nobody in the cast,
    literally nobody, makes any kind of semblance to remember that the mastermind door of case 1 was unlocked with a keycard?
    it might be a different door that is unlocked by it but ouma's comments so far heavily implied that it was the mastermind door in the library. but it doesn't matter if that particular door is opened by the card or not, why does literally no one mention this? what a completely unnatural and quite frankly garbage development.

the ultimate detective can memorize some stupid-ass song from many centuries ago in a couple of minutes, but he's supposed to just conveniently forget the entirety of his plot from prologue to chapter 1 where he tried to find the mastermind?

this is just plain horrible writing, again i don't care if the door turns out to not be opened by the keycard but for nobody from the ultimates to make that connection doesn't require suspension of disbelief but the player excusing and ignoring the obvious writing inconsistency that is present here.
    Last edited by Sin; 10-01-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag View Post

before case 3 happens, they talk about killing games in the dining hall. ouma says that he once saw an anime in which the mastermind of the game committed the first kill by murdering their own relative in the game as an exercise of power (obviously referring to junko more or less directly causing mukuro's death in DR1).

anyways i might also just be taking all of that too seriously and it might just be meant to be tongue-in-cheek jokes by the writers.

case 3 thoughts

this case was very odd.. i almost don't want to talk about it.

now i am not necessarily only talking about shinguji. however, that twist was weird even for DR-standards. it's not that i dislike the twist for being strange, it was just set up very awkwardly. there was not a single hint at shinguji's demented mind, then he does a 180 and the weirdest characterization in the history of the franchise happened. the sister bullshit was really so weird that the writers had to have been doped out of their minds to come up with it.

the case itself had a very strange flow to it also. after getting to the core of the first murder, they switch you to the second one, then after solving that one they make the connection back to the first one. now i obviously realize that it was the whole intent, but i feel like the transition itself between the murders was very artificial and did not feel natural at all.

shinguji committing a double kill was also a complete waste of what could have been an incredibly interesting development.

they could have made tenko the culprit in angie's case and shinguji kill tenko, resulting in the students having to live with a confirmed murderer among their ranks because of the new school regulation. or they could have picked anyone else other than shinguji to commit the second murder. but this was just a complete waste in my opinion, there's nothing interesting about yet another double kill by one culprit. i guess they really want case 3 in danganronpa to be a doublekill with one culprit given that was the case in DR1 and DR2 too, but i would much prefer if they just simply stopped with these similarities that are incorporated in every new game.. never saw the value in them and they just lessen my interest in the plot.

the monokuma rule being added after shinguji already committed the second kill was an incredibly forced development imo and something that felt very out of character for monokuma to do. i was really ticked off by that, there's also no way in hell shinguji wouldn't ask monokuma what would happen if he killed tenko after he killed angie. monokuma was always written in a way that made it clear he was completely aware of everything happening in the academy, and you can always call out to him at any point in time and he'll show up. but shinguji was completely unaware of the new rule until monokuma added it, meaning he never asked him privately, which is just completely moronic and tough for me to believe.

now i will agree that NDRV3's case 3 is better than DR1's and DR2's, but as genbu said, the competition isn't exactly fierce.

DR1 had the worst culprit in the history of the franchise and DR2 was a case that you could solve before the trial even happened, with another garbo culprit. but this case is just so strange on so many levels and completely dropped the ball on what could have been unique developments with very promising dynamics for the cast, but instead we got lipstick shinguji and his mentally ill pipe dreams.

pre case 4 thoughts

now i just finished case 3 and unlocked the new areas, but do the writers seriously want to tell me that nobody in the cast,
    literally nobody, makes any kind of semblance to remember that the mastermind door of case 1 was unlocked with a keycard?
    it might be a different door that is unlocked by it but ouma's comments so far heavily implied that it was the mastermind door in the library. but it doesn't matter if that particular door is opened by the card or not, why does literally no one mention this? what a completely unnatural and quite frankly garbage development.

the ultimate detective can memorize some stupid-ass song from many centuries ago in a couple of minutes, but he's supposed to just conveniently forget the entirety of his plot from prologue to chapter 1 where he tried to find the mastermind?

this is just plain horrible writing, again i don't care if the door turns out to not be opened by the keycard but for nobody from the ultimates to make that connection doesn't require suspension of disbelief but the player excusing and ignoring the obvious writing inconsistency that is present here.
    To be fair, your theory isn't impossible. The only hole there is really Tsumugi (and mine has holes too)...but if you flip this train of thought around and go with the meta fiction angle, wouldn't this make it highly likely that the cosplayer is the mastermind? At least, that'd make her lack of a response to the KG references sensible.

I don't want it to happen though because she's fucking useless and nothing has hinted otherwise all game. And "everything was anime" cheapens the entire series. That'd definitely leave a bad aftertaste if executed poorly and given DR's track record of endgames, I can't see it happening any other way.

As for the keycard, you can bet your ass the writers just intend for the viewers to have forgotten that detail. Its really dumb now that i think about it.

Can't believe V3 passed up a chance to have Korekiyo commit a blatant murder and escape without repercussions. That could have been hella interesting and the first of the lot.

Case 3 stuff

It was good, but I feel it could've been better. When Angie started to low-key brainwash students one by one, I thought she was playing the long game and would end up killing someone in Case 4 or 5; then even if we find the truth, it doesn't matter because she's manipulated most of the class to her side. Finding to way to work around that and defeat her would've been an incredibly satisfying pay-off IMO. Instead she dies because Kiyo wants mates for his dead sister. Myah.

As for Kiyo, I kinda figured it was him before the trial (well, between him and Himiko). The Sister twist didn't was shocking but I'd spent spent some free time with him beforehand so it wasn't totally out of the blue. And they gave him a decent enough reason to commit two murders, but again, potential was there for something better, like someone killing Tenko and getting away with it because Angie's murder is the on that matters. But it was refreshing to not see a 'noble' motive for once, I dunno if I coulda handled 3 in a row.

In other news, Gonta is alive. Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised he survived this long, here's hoping he makes it to the end credits.
    Last edited by DoflaMihawk; 10-01-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Chapter 2 thoughts:
    Alright V3, let's calm down and stop killing the good characters. Tenko and Himiko are insufferable morons, Angie isn't much better, and Tsumugi is so insignificant that I actually forgot she existed yesterday, so I think it's about time that this game starts clearing out the filler.

What I'm really concerned about though is that unlike the other games, Monokuma didn't set a limit for many people that are allowed to be killed at one time. And considering that the writers love to have multiple victims in Chapter 3 of these games, I'm half expecting a triple murder here. I just hope Kaito, Miu, Gonta, and Kokichi won't be involved in whatever happens. They're easily the standouts of this cast imo.

Anyway, Kirumi's murder plan was fucking stupid. She could've just drowned Ryoma and left his body there, or threw it in the pool and no one would've been able to figure it out. Instead she had to go and leave a ton of evidence behind, while only achieving what? Dramatic effect? The whole inner tube rope thing was an interesting idea, but it was completely. unnecessary.

Also, Hang-Man's Gambit, I can't be the only one who never even knew that Ropeway was a word until just now. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

One thing that I am appreciating though, is the dynamic during class trials. In DR1 and 2, it always felt like Kyoko and Nagito were always two steps ahead of Makoto/Hajime at all times, and that like 90% of each trial was just going over stuff they already had figured out. In this game, Shuichi is pretty much the only one figuring shit out, and I think it's nice to have the MC be the smartest person in the room for once.

But despite my complaints, I'm still having alot of fun with game. Ryoma's death sucked, but at least it sorta peeled the band-aid off so to speak when it comes to characters I like dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    Chapter 2 thoughts:
    Alright V3, let's calm down and stop killing the good characters. Tenko and Himiko are insufferable morons, Angie isn't much better, and Tsumugi is so insignificant that I actually forgot she existed yesterday, so I think it's about time that this game starts clearing out the filler.

What I'm really concerned about though is that unlike the other games, Monokuma didn't set a limit for many people that are allowed to be killed at one time. And considering that the writers love to have multiple victims in Chapter 3 of these games, I'm half expecting a triple murder here. I just hope Kaito, Miu, Gonta, and Kokichi won't be involved in whatever happens. They're easily the standouts of this cast imo.

Anyway, Kirumi's murder plan was fucking stupid. She could've just drowned Ryoma and left his body there, or threw it in the pool and no one would've been able to figure it out. Instead she had to go and leave a ton of evidence behind, while only achieving what? Dramatic effect? The whole inner tube rope thing was an interesting idea, but it was completely. unnecessary.

Also, Hang-Man's Gambit, I can't be the only one who never even knew that Ropeway was a word until just now. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

One thing that I am appreciating though, is the dynamic during class trials. In DR1 and 2, it always felt like Kyoko and Nagito were always two steps ahead of Makoto/Hajime at all times, and that like 90% of each trial was just going over stuff they already had figured out. In this game, Shuichi is pretty much the only one figuring shit out, and I think it's nice to have the MC be the smartest person in the room for once.

But despite my complaints, I'm still having alot of fun with game. Ryoma's death sucked, but at least it sorta peeled the band-aid off so to speak when it comes to characters I like dying.
    Kirumi did all that for the same reason most culprits complicate their crimes. Leaving Ryoma in his room would mean anyone coulda done it and pretty much leaves it to chance. Moving Ryoma to the gym makes people misinterpret the time of death and implicates Himiko because it's her magic show.

Yeah ropeway stumped me aswell, stupid game.

Agreed, I like that there doesn't seem to be a character that's solved the mystery before the trial.

Chapter 4 thoughts

FUCK THIS GAME

Anyway this case didn't start off too great IMO. Things like the world being looped I could see coming from a mile away (though I admit I got a kick out of seeing everyone in chibi form). This is the first time in the game I felt like I was waaay ahead of Shuichi. I guess they were trying to emulate the mystery of the funhouse from Case 2-4 but this was way more predictable.

The ending though... Jesus. I called Kokichi getting Gonta to murder early on, but when it didn't happen in the earlier cases, I thought it never would. This has to be the most heartbreaking ending to a case ever (Gonta's VA killed it, I broke down when he just accepted everyone voting him without knowing why) and Kokichi takes Nagito's spot as the biggest dickhead in the series. I'm going to be so pissed if I don't get to take him down as a culprit.

But it's scary to think thay Kokichi's real plan hasn't even begun yet. I think i'm more hyped for the final cases than I ever was for DR1 or DR2

Chapter 4 thoughts

Mixed bag. Miu's plan was even more reminiscent of Sayaka's murder than Kaede but it pretty much described her character perfectly. It was brilliant in planning but utterly idiotic in execution; she made so many flops that she would have been executed even if Kokichi died. The fact that she just walks right by a window and gets spotted by Tsumugi meant she'd never escape suspicion.

Still, I don't remember seeing what her motive was.

As for Gonta...called it. Self-less bara character never makes it past trial 4. Too bad because these parallels are shit. V3 is losing points and becoming predictable because its trying to follow the same pattern as the previous games. As a result, I'm willing to bet cash that Ouma will be the next victim ala Komaeda. Ch.5 is all about unsolvable murders or indiscernible culprits. As for the trial itself? Kaito is once again an incredible standout as the heart of the group. Shuichi's development also continues to progress in the right direction. He's overly competent (compared to Naegi and Hajime) and that's led the others to depend on him far too much, which isn't necessarily a good thing. Depending on where that goes, he'd easily be the best protagonist.

Chapter 5 thoughts

Kokichi is the mastermind... BUT ITS A LIE

Monokuma joining the class trial

Kaito Bromota dying on his own terms

Keebo wrecking the school

Best case in the game. You could argue that it's too similar to 2-5, but I think there's enough differences (victim and culprit cooperating, Monokuma not knowing the culprit etc.) to give the case its own identity.

But if this is all Junko's doing again, case 6 is gonna be a massive letdown.

Chapter 6 thoughts

That was the most meta thing I've ever experienced in a video game. I honestly don't know if it was the greatest ending of all time or the worst. Either way, it's pretty much the best possible way to cap off the series if this it where it ends. I thought DR2's ending was a mindfuck, but it's got nothing on this. The V3 twist stunned me completely.

Plain old Tsumugi being the mastermind was a tad disappointing, as it felt like that was really her only role as she didn't do shit up till Ch6.

That said, I'm looking forward to Cormag's rant on it.
    Last edited by DoflaMihawk; 10-02-2017 at 09:58 PM.

Chapter 7 thoughts

That was a lie, there is no chapter 7

Chapter 3 Pre-Trial:
    As much as I don't really care for the Kubs, I'll admit that I enjoyed Monodam's hostile takeover. I'm looking forward to Monokuma inevitably re-gaining control later on.

Angie dying next was sickeningly obvious, but I'm not complaining. Himiko is the most-likely killer imo. Tenko would be too obvious, and no one else besides maybe Kiyo makes any sense.

Story Prediction: V3 takes place in an alternate continuity where almost all Ultimates were hunted down after something equivalent to the Calamity was almost caused by some of them. But then a natural disaster (like that meteor shower) destroyed society, and Ultimates were needed to help re-build it, so the government rounded up some normal high schoolers, wiped their memories, gave them fake identities, and put them in a VR simulation where they could artificially become Ultimates by using the Ultimate Research Labs, only for the leader of Ultimate Hunt to infiltrate the simulation and institute a killing game. This would tie into what Monokuma said at the start, this game exists "only for killing" because the mastermind simply wants to kill everyone before they can become real Ultimates.

EDIT: Fuck, I just did the seance. What the hell game? Double murders are such a waste.
    Last edited by Gorilla; 10-03-2017 at 08:51 PM.

chapter 1, before the trial
    during the investigations, my mind ran on three names one after another. At first, i thought kokichi could have been the one who used the door for the monokumas, and killed rantaro who discovered him. Then I thought of gonta, although i didn't see him scoring the kill willingly, and finally miu, who could have slipped the drone through the vent and dropped the ball on rantaro's head with it. Any other outcome would be surprising for how things are so far, i'll play the trial tomorrow so we'll see

extra: cast thoughts

Kokichi Oma - love the design and the character
    Kaede Akamatsu - water & soap girl, very pleasant on her simplicity
    Keebo - a nice weirdo, but the robophobia thing bends me everytime
    Himiko Yumeno - a cutie with cute personality quirks
    Gonta Gokuhara - i'll feel like shit when this guy's gonna die, too good for this world

Kirumi Tojo - pretty, maybe prettiest but got boring in short time
    Ryoma Hoshi - surprisingly deep and interesting to talk to
    Tenko Chabashira - unidirectional but entertaining
    Miu Iruma - an uggo with a funny personality
    Tsumugi Shirogane - same as above but less solid
    Shuichi Saihara - dumb clothes and dull personality, grew on me a bit cuz he's a nice guy

Maki Harukawa - a jerk
    Kaito Momota - a whatever
    Angie Yonaga - annoying since day one
    Rantaro Amami - "ultimate who cares", monokuma was accurate
    Korekiyo Shinguji - downright disgusting