Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Danganronpa V3

Danganronpa V3

The demo of the game has came out, I played it the other day it was pretty good

I think you can get it on steam and playstation 4/psp

I played the demo on steam before and it was great

I think Gonta has to be my favourite character so far

The game itself comes out at the end of the month I think

@DoflaMihawk; @Crispinianus; @whoever plays it

Cool, I'll check it out tonight.

And how could you forget @Cormag;, the biggest DR fanboy on the site?

won't be getting it this week but i'll check it out eventually

God I can't wait to play this. I just REALLY hope that it has a better ending than DR2. Some actually good characters surviving would be nice.

I played the demo the other day and enjoyed it. Was a little disappointed that the trial wasn't anything more substantial, but at least the mini games for this one don't seem too bad. At the moment, Ryoma and Kirumi are my favorites, and I can't stand Tenko.

Played it last night, was Makoto really the killer?

Gonta, Angie and Ryoma would have to be my favourites just based on first impressions. Shuichi, Ranto, Miu, Kaito, Keebo and Kaede seem like obvious picks to be the final survivors, so I hope they go a different route. Kiyo is basically Crispy. Kokichi could be interesting, but if he keeps being a lying little shit like in the demo then I'm going to hate him. The rest were myah, but every cast DR has those so it can't be helped.

Looking forward to the game in any case, too bad North America gets it a little earlier than us

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Played it last night, was Makoto really the killer?

Gonta, Angie and Ryoma would have to be my favourites just based on first impressions. Shuichi, Ranto, Miu, Kaito, Keebo and Kaede seem like obvious picks to be the final survivors, so I hope they go a different route. Kiyo is basically Crispy. Kokichi could be interesting, but if he keeps being a lying little shit like in the demo then I'm going to hate him. The rest were myah, but every cast DR has those so it can't be helped.

Looking forward to the game in any case, too ba
    d North America gets it a little earlier than us
    We'll never know since the whole thing was demo exclusive

Its gonna be a pain the ass remembering all those people names again as well, so far I remember Gonta, Kokichi and Keebo i liked the kid with the hat too. I get the feeling hes gonna kill someone and get a really deep mondoesque backstory. The really vulgar girl is great too

So close...

Prediction Time: Without even starting the game, let's guess who lives, who gets killed, and who the killers are:

Victims:
    Gonta (Entomologist)
    Maki (Child Caregiver)
    Tsumugi (Cosplayer)
    Rantaro (???)
    Himiko (Magician)
    Tenko (Akido Master)

Killers:
    Shuichi (Detective)
    Angie (Artist)
    Kirumi (Maid)
    Kokichi (Supreme Leader)
    Korekiyo (Anthropologist)

Survivors:
    Kaede (Pianist)
    Keebo (Robot)
    Ryoma (Tennis Player)
    Kaito (Astronaut)
    Miu (Inventor)

i don't know most of them yet but the little magician is gonna be the cutie who dies on chapter 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    So close...

Prediction Time: Without even starting the game, let's guess who lives, who gets killed, and who the killers are:

Victims:
    Gonta (Entomologist)
    Maki (Child Caregiver)
    Tsumugi (Cosplayer)
    Rantaro (???)
    Himiko (Magician)
    Tenko (Akido Master)

Killers:
    Shuichi (Detective)
    Angie (Artist)
    Kirumi (Maid)
    Kokichi (Supreme Leader)
    Korekiyo (Anthropologist)

Survivors:
    Kaede (Pianist)
    Keebo (Robot)
    Ryoma (Tennis Player)
    Kaito (Astronaut)
    Miu (Inventor)
    I dunno about Ryoma surviving, he seems way too shady to me. The rest I agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    i don't know most of them yet but the little magician is gonna be the cutie who dies on chapter 2
    Nyeh, she's a mage actually.

http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...Danganronpa-V3

tfw you spent literal hours on compiling shit pre-release and nobody remembers it

anyways, codex just released the danganronpa v3 crack half an hour ago. i won't post a link, but i am just putting the info out there for those that want to pirate it.

i have not talked about danganronpa in months, and for good reason. let's take a time capsule to early february of this year

as some of you might know, NDRV3 was released in japan in late february. what most or all of you probably don't know is that the game was actually leaked and datamined in early february. it spread like a wildfire across all imageboards.

i've regularly checked out /drg/ (DR's general on /vg/) for a long ass time and was completely unaware that the game was leaked the day it happened, because by chance i checked out the board a couple of minutes after the leak/datamine actually happened. however, i lucked out like a motherfucker. i read a couple of posts where people were legit on suicidewatch before i pieced together that the game had been leaked. had i scrolled up a centimeter more i might have spoiled the entire game for me

so i nearly got spoiled 7 months before the game's release. after i dodged the leak, i stopped browsing all imageboards because it's impossible to not get spoiled if i didn't. i was actually making a conscious effort of dodging DR spoilers where i could, and after 7 months i am going completely spoiler-free into the game

i always wondered whether i would have preferred DR2 to DR1 had i not sullied my experience by spoiling myself a survivor before the game even started. so now i can be sure that if NDRV3 is garbage trash, it just genuinely is garbage trash

anyways that's the valiant story of my autismo journey to evade all spoilers, i'll gtfo from the forum for a couple of days until i finish the game

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag View Post
    http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...Danganronpa-V3

tfw you spent literal hours on compiling shit pre-release and nobody remembers it

anyways, codex just released the danganronpa v3 crack half an hour ago. i won't post a link, but i am just putting the info out there for those that want to pirate it.

i have not talked about danganronpa in months, and for good reason. let's take a time capsule to early february of this year

as some of you might know, NDRV3 was released in japan in late february. what most or all of you probably don't know is that the game was actually leaked and datamined in early february. it spread like a wildfire across all imageboards.

i've regularly checked out /drg/ (DR's general on /vg/) for a long ass time and was completely unaware that the game was leaked the day it happened, because by chance i checked out the board a couple of minutes after the leak/datamine actually happened. however, i lucked out like a motherfucker. i read a couple of posts where people were legit on suicidewatch before i pieced together that the game had been leaked. had i scrolled up a centimeter more i might have spoiled the entire game for me

so i nearly got spoiled 7 months before the game's release. after i dodged the leak, i stopped browsing all imageboards because it's impossible to not get spoiled if i didn't. i was actually making a conscious effort of dodging DR spoilers where i could, and after 7 months i am going completely spoiler-free into the game

i always wondered whether i would have preferred DR2 to DR1 had i not sullied my experience by spoiling myself a survivor before the game even started. so now i can be sure that if NDRV3 is garbage trash, it just genuinely is garbage trash

anyways that's the valiant story of my autismo journey to evade all spoilers, i'll gtfo from the forum for a couple of days until i finish the game
    Wow, I didn't know you almost got spoiled that early on. No wonder I haven't seen you talk about it.

I'll probably post my thoughts on each case as I complete them, in spoiler tags of course. Looking forward to discussing it with you when you're back.

Hoo boy, this game.

Pretty great so far, the humor has been solid and the cast (besides Tenko) is excellent. I'm not gonna go into specific spoilers yet, but having reached the end of the first trial:
    This game seems to be all about taking the player's expectations based on the previous games and turning them on their head.

There's something off about the story so far. If feels as if writers have made it very ambiguous if V3 even takes place in the same continuity as 1 and 2, and which I think is a means of playing with our expectations so that they can pull the rug out from under us with some crazy plot twists later down the line. I really can't wait to see where this goes.
    Last edited by Gorilla; 09-28-2017 at 07:20 PM.

chapter 1 thoughts

so the kaede chapter 1 twist actually happened. i feel compelled to mention that i literally called this a year ago:

http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...=1#post1348218

Now, where exactly am I trying to get at with all this? There are some story elements that the writers have not yet utilized in DR. Among these are the main character being a culprit, or the main character being a victim. These developments have an incredible amount of untapped potential, and I think Kaede's fate will ultimately be one of those options. I strongly suspect that you will play as Kaede in the Prologue/Chapter 1 and then switch to the actual MC afterwards. Again, really all of this is conjecture with somewhat flimsy basis, but I strongly believe in this theory.
    however, i did not expect shuichi as the follow-up protagonist. it became sort of obvious as chapter 1 dragged on (and it was basically locked in when ryoma implied that shuichi already knows that kaede is the culprit pre-trial), but i was wrong on predicting the new protag. nevertheless, i am both satisfied that i called it and i am also kind of bummed because i felt the execution of the twist was just sort of meh. i am interested to hear what genbu thinks about the twist, since he also called kaede being a red herring.

to put my thoughts on the game chronologically, the prologue started out incredibly strong. the twist right off the bat with the memory erasing was fucking cool as hell, and early chapter 1 was really strong too. i was really digging the group dynamics for the majority of CH1. with some exceptions, the characters seemed to interact much more than they already did in DR1 and DR2. prologue - chapter 1 was also really long (took me 5 hours to get to the class trial) and i thought the exposition of the game was just generally speaking excellent. the best in the series so far without a doubt.

now, the case of chapter 1. let me just put out that i did not like it a ton. whoever made the idea to make the voice lines horizontal AND vertical during class trials needs to be fired, it's completely retarded and makes following the class trial a monumental task, at least for me. i was dumbfounded at how obtuse it made following the statements.

as for the different trial elements, scrum debate was a complete disappointment. i hope it was just because CH1 is essentially a trial tutorial, but even on the hardest difficulty even having only a single working brain cell would have made you overqualified to have fun with the scrum debate. it's essentially playing memory with the cards already flipped up lol.

the sword thingy is the same element from DR2, just a bit more interactive this time around. nothing to say about that

the final argument (comic thingy) is basically the same as always, nothing to say about that

this game's bullet time battle equivalent is once more just a shittier, clunkier version of the first game's rendition. the first game really did it so much better than DR2, and now it trumps NDRV3 on that front too.

lies are whatever, i think it's really stupid that they don't let you morph your bullet into a lie without suffering a penalty. this way you can't actually check what lie your bullet will turn into, meaning you will have to suffer penalties just to learn what the lies you want to present are in the first place.

hangman's gamble was okay, again just way too easy to give any actual opinion.

now the trial itself was horribly convoluted for a first trial i felt like. all the cameras, photos, different angles and so on were a chore to keep track of even though the trial itself always made the next step to take very obvious. the problems i had mainly with this trial were often because i was unsure if i have to present front entrance photos or back entrance photos to object, even though i already knew what the objection was. DR always had that problem (you know the twist but you first have to figure out what truth bullet the game wants so you can get to the twist), this time i felt it was a bit worse than in the first two games.

i have no strong feelings about the first trial, i felt it was alright. i will say that it was obvious that rantarou is throw-away material and is either gonna be the victim or the culprit, though i expected him to be case 1's culprit. the cast itself is really enjoyable i feel like, only a few characters stick out as sucky to me. if angie is gonna stay this one-dimensional please kill her off in the next case, i would be also perfectly content with killing off the neo-aikido bitch i forgot the name of.

also, i just have to put out there that kouichi's seiyuu is a literal god. his various cries are the best voice acting i have ever seen in DR, i completely love his characters already just because of how amazing his VA is.

anyways, onward to post case 1. if i had to rate the parts so far:

NDRV3 prologue >>> DR1 prologue => DR2 prologue
    DR1 case 1 > DR2 case 1 > NDRV3 case 1
    Last edited by Sin; 09-29-2017 at 02:55 PM.

chapter 1 thoughts

so the kaede chapter 1 twist actually happened. i feel compelled to mention that i literally called this a year ago:

however, i did not expect shuichi as the follow-up protagonist. it became sort of obvious as chapter 1 dragged on (and it was basically locked in when ryoma implied that shuichi already knows that kaede is the culprit pre-trial), but i was wrong on predicting the new protag. nevertheless, i am both satisfied that i called it and i am also kind of bummed because i felt the execution of the twist was just sort of meh. i am interested to hear what genbu thinks about the twist, since he also called kaede being a red herring.

to put my thoughts on the game chronologically, the prologue started out incredibly strong. the twist right off the bat with the memory erasing was fucking cool as hell, and early chapter 1 was really strong too. i was really digging the group dynamics for the majority of CH1. with some exceptions, the characters seemed to interact much more than they already did in DR1 and DR2. prologue - chapter 1 was also really long (took me 5 hours to get to the class trial) and i thought the exposition of the game was just generally speaking excellent. the best in the series so far without a doubt.

now, the case of chapter 1. let me just put out that i did not like it a ton. whoever made the idea to make the voice lines horizontal AND vertical during class trials needs to be fired, it's completely retarded and makes following the class trial a monumental task, at least for me. i was dumbfounded at how obtuse it made following the statements.

as for the different trial elements, scrum debate was a complete disappointment. i hope it was just because CH1 is essentially a trial tutorial, but even on the hardest difficulty even having only a single working brain cell would have made you overqualified to have fun with the scrum debate. it's essentially playing memory with the cards already flipped up lol.

the sword thingy is the same element from DR2, just a bit more interactive this time around. nothing to say about that

the final argument (comic thingy) is basically the same as always, nothing to say about that

this game's bullet time battle equivalent is once more just a shittier, clunkier version of the first game's rendition. the first game really did it so much better than DR2, and now it trumps NDRV3 on that front too.

lies are whatever, i think it's really stupid that they don't let you morph your bullet into a lie without suffering a penalty. this way you can't actually check what lie your bullet will turn into, meaning you will have to suffer penalties just to learn what the lies you want to present are in the first place.

now the trial itself was horribly convoluted for a first trial i felt like. all the cameras, photos, different angles and so on were a chore to keep track of even though the trial itself always made the next step to take very obvious. the problems i had mainly with this trial were often because i was unsure if i have to present front entrance photos or back entrance photos to object, even though i already knew what the objection was. DR always had that problem (you know the twist but you first have to figure out what truth bullet the game wants so you can get to the twist), this time i felt it was a bit worse than in the first two games.

i have no strong feelings about the first trial, i felt it was alright. i will say that it was obvious that rantarou is throw-away material and is either gonna be the victim or the culprit, though i expected him to be case 1's culprit. the cast itself is really enjoyable i feel like, only a few characters stick out as sucky to me. if angie is gonna stay this one-dimensional please kill her off in the next case, i would be also perfectly content with killing off the neo-aikido bitch i forgot the name of.

also, i just have to put out there that kouichi's seiyuu is a literal god. his various cries are the best voice acting i have ever seen in DR, i completely love his characters already just because of how amazing his VA is.

I spent the entirety of the prologue and the first part of Chapter 1 completely distrusting Shuichi, so you can imagine my surprise at how things turned out. It didn't even occur to me that something could happen to Kaede until she started tripping death flags in the elevator scene, and the realization of what really happened hit me from there.

I'm kinda disappointed that Kaede isn't the MC, she was likable enough and did a good job of differentiating herself from the other Danganronpa MCs. That being said, I do really like Shuichi now, he's already a better protagonist than Hajime in my eyes.

I 100% agree with you about the cast so far. Tenko (the neo-akido bitch) needs to go, and Angie is definitely the only other weak link. Kokichi is pretty great. He's such a detestable little shit, they really nailed the whole "love-to-hate" thing with him.

As for the next case, I haven't started it yet, but I have a gut-feeling that Gonta will die, either as the victim or from being tricked into killing someone by Kokichi. He's too innocent to last very long imo, as much as it pains me to say so.

Chapter 2 thoughts

chapter 1 thoughts

My opinion with trial 1 was the same. Horribly convoluted for what ended up being a simply crafted murder. Kaede being the decoy protagonist like we predicted was both hilarious and underwhelming. I was similarly not surprised by Rantaro dying first but i think he'll have a post-humous impact on the story. He knew too much not to be relevant in some way.

Got nothing to say about the minigames, they're a chore that distracts from what everyone wants to see and weirdly enough, the taxi is EASILY the worst of the lot simply because of how much time it takes.

Split argument was admittedly atmospheric though.

Wouldn't downplay Angie like that. Getting the disturbing feeling that she's not Akane 2.0 but is actually a complete sociopath and dangerous.

I also agree completely on Ouma. He's the contender for the best character so far simply for presentation. His VA's delivery is excellent and more organic than Junko's.

My impressions for the cast before actually playing the game:

-Kaede (decoy protagonist)
    -Shuichi (deuteragonist mirroring Kyouko and possible antagonist)
    -Rantaro (Wild card. Could end up a red herring or a major player)
    -Ouma (Almost definitely the mastermind or at the very least, the primary instigator in each trial)
    -Miu (Throwaway char with weird quirk. Probably going to be killed hilariously)
    -Angie (Same as the above)
    -Keebo (Same as Rantaro but I have higher estimations because RoboNaegi)
    -Kirumi (Potential Best girl. Will undoubtedly be a Blackened and probably in a similar fashion as Peko)
    -Maki (Premier waifu character. See her going far but not much else_
    -Gonta (Will die in chapter 4. Non-debatable)
    -Korekiyo (...Celeste 2.0. 90% chance of Blackened going by design alone. Probably chapter 3. The insignia on his clothes though...)
    -Tsumugi (Throwaway character. No expectations)
    -Himiko (same as above)
    -Tenko (same as above)
    -Kaito (Might be a cool dude or might be useless. What's certain though, is that he'll be a moron. Hiro 2.0?)
    -Ryoma (Thought he'd be best boy for a year now)

EDIT: For the cast a whole? Not sure if its just me but I'm noticing a higher average for competence than in the previous games where you really only expected 3 characters + the blackened to play any major role in the trials. With V3 I could count 8 off the bat.

Miraculously managed to avoid spoilers for this game by ducking every DR related anything for a year. From what I've seen, the game developers are subverting (but also subtly referencing) old trials. At this point, I'm expecting the killing game will end with everyone dying and the identity of the mastermind won't even matter.
    Last edited by Genbu; 09-30-2017 at 02:53 AM.

Guys, how do I buy presents in this game? I checked the School Store and the only thing I can interact with is the Monokuma machine, tell me there's another way to get presents.

Also is it just me or do you move really fast outdoors? I feel like the Flash out there

Also, thoughts on Case 1

It was a strong opening IMO. Both the culprit and killer were unexpected for me. Characters with hidden talents tend to last to the end so it was a shock to see Rantarou go. I'm sure I discussed a theory with Cormag months ago about the MC being the blackened, but it'd be dumb to claim I 'called it' since it was simply one of many ideas I had floating around.

The minigames were ok, though the classic nonstop debate is still my favourite. Scrum debate was hilariously simple, I like the concept but the execution needs to improve in later cases. The only thing I really predicted was that the shot put ball was dropped from the shelf (literally my first thought about the case, never considered that shit about Gonta throwing it lol) but my theory about the mini mage crawling through the vent and dropping it on Rantarou's head went up in smoke fast.

Overall I think this beats DR Case 1, around the same level as DR2 Case 1

I just got the point where the second victim is found.

Why would you do this to me, game? At least get rid of the throwaways like Tsumugi and Tenko before killing off the cool people.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Guys, how do I buy presents in this game? I checked the School Store and the only thing I can interact with is the Monokuma machine, tell me there's another way to get presents.

Also is it just me or do you move really fast outdoors? I feel like the Flash out there

Also, thoughts on Case 1

It was a strong opening IMO. Both the culprit and killer were unexpected for me. Characters with hidden talents tend to last to the end so it was a shock to see Rantarou go. I'm sure I discussed a theory with Cormag months ago about the MC being the blackened, but it'd be dumb to claim I 'called it' since it was simply one of many ideas I had floating around.

The minigames were ok, though the classic nonstop debate is still my favourite. Scrum debate was hilariously simple, I like the concept but the execution needs to improve in later cases. The only thing I really predicted was that the shot put ball was dropped from the shelf (literally my first thought about the case, never considered that shit about Gonta throwing it lol) but my theory about the mini mage crawling through the vent and dropping it on Rantarou's head went up in smoke fast.

Overall I think this beats DR Case 1, around the same level as DR2 Case 1
    You can buy a few presents from the Casino that opens up after Case 1, but otherwise I think the Monokuma machine is the only way to get them.
    Last edited by Gorilla; 09-30-2017 at 04:54 AM.

I just got the point where the second victim is found.

Why would you do this to me, game? At least get rid of the throwaways like Tsumugi and Tenko before killing off the cool people.

You can buy a few presents from the Casino that opens up after Case 1, but otherwise I think the Monokuma machine is the only way to get them.
    Cool, at least I'll have another option when I start C2

Also I'm hoping one of those Monokubs die with each execution like the blue one did, God those things annoy me.

chapter 2 thoughts

quite frankly an amazing chapter. it had its problems, surely; but it was so much better than DR1's and DR2's second case. both of those games had subpar second chapters (i've explained why multiple times on here already so i will refrain), but this case blew my expectations out of the water.

now, it still had its fair share of (minor) problems, but let me just say what i thought the case did well:

- best execution in the series so far without a single doubt in my mind. the emotional value of tojo's climb surpasses every single execution so far, the only similarly emotional execution was (funnily enough) peko's in DR2's case 2, because fuyuhiko wanted to die with her. however, this one was so much better on so many levels, i can only praise the devs for it. it was beautifully gruesome and not in bad taste at all, it basically summarizes tojo's character in a single scene and the execution itself was simply cool as hell to look at. i always was indifferent about DR's executions, but this one changed my mind.

- the case itself flowed incredibly well for the most part. yes, there were some roadbumps here in there - the first phase of the case was basically shitty gimmick characters galore (tenko obsessing over himiko and her degen male bullshit, himiko with her magic bullshit, iruma with her lewd comment insertion every time she gets speaking time, angie with her atua bullshit), it was definitely not perfect on that front. however, as the trial entered its break the pacing picked up like crazy and i was extremely absorbed into the case once the break actually happened. definitely one of the better cases in the suspense-department because there wasn't really a part where i was bored with whats happening.

- tojo was a very good perpetrator. her being the prime minister is absurdly stupid, but that's exactly what i love about danganronpa. these completely moronic ideas that are still somehow believable to the player. i feel like this case will be a joy to replay because you can probably really try and catch all the moments where tojo shifted the trial to unimportant details as the students already mentioned as the trial neared its end.

- attaining the truth itself was not too hard and not too easy. every conclusion was a natural one i felt like, though i was a bit ticked off when the game first tried to establish that ryoma died before night time, even though it was obvious that it was during night time even then. but that's just minor criticism, obviously this case isn't DR2 case 5 level in terms of the coolness of its murder, but for a second case? couldn't ask for more tbh.

- ryoma was a great victim. not often does it happen in DR that i am satisfied with a character being the one on the receiving end of the murder, but it just felt right to have him bite the dust there. there was always a lot of discussion about ryoma basically being a lock-in early-game death because his voice actor is simply too much of a superstar in the industry so they would have to burn a shit ton of money just for having ryoma speak a lot in the game, but i was still caught off-guard by ryoma being case 2's victim.

- similarly to DR1's case 2, you can't really guess the culprit before the trial. except this time around, they actually did this right. long gone are the days where the knockout argument to deduce the culprit was mondo's usage of japanese honorifics (this was the case during the fantranslation days, the official translation made it a bit more obvious), this time around it made perfect sense to have an unguessable culprit simply because of it being a nigh-perfect murder as was pointed out during the trial.

- a lot of characters shined in this trial. ouma, gonta and kaito continued to be great. even though hagakure is my favorite character of the franchise, the days in which the moron of the games only was there for comic relief are also long gone. kaito is a moron but he actually has his qualities and place during the trials. ouma's shenanigans, while teetering on excessive at times, are simply very entertaining and gonta is such an endearing character that's impossible to not like him.

but even characters more on the minor side had their moments; shinguji was cool, and even angie was entertaining to me. however, what the fuck happened to tsumigi?? i feel like she literally didn't exist in this trial, i can only remember a single comment and that was that shitty peanut butter smiling joke. did the writers just forget to include her in the trial?

- shuichi is a nice MC so far, but there's nothing really worth talking about yet. his character development so far has been enjoyable and i assume after this case he will no longer be afraid to discern the truth. that development felt really organic but i hope they don't overdo it and make him hesitate for another trial before somebody else has to motivate him (kaede in case 1, kaito in case 2), that would be excessive.

- the monokubs are a very welcome addition and much better than monomi in DR2. monodam especially has nice late-game potential with him hinting at surpassing monokuma as the headmaster and whatnot, and their gags are usually pretty funny. of course a lot of them are just flat out garbage, but that's always gonna be the case when you implement three characters that exist only to relieve the tension with humor.

now, i don't want to delve into too much of the negative sides this trial had. genbu already mentioned that the taxi minigame was unnecessarily long, and quite frankly, it is. so long in fact that it ticked me off because it's a completely stupid minigame. in the first part you just have to mindlessly collect the item boxes to form the question, that's all. you don't have to collect the boxes in order like in hangman gambit, you literally just have to collect them. if i wanted to play a shoddy copy of mario kart with clunky controls i'd go on some flashgame website. then the second phase was just way too easy to be any fun, i'm not sure what the point was behind proving the window trick with the longest minigame in the franchise so far if the window trick itself was fucking obvious way before the minigame even started.

but all around a very rounded case with little bad sticking out and a lot of good. eager to see the next parts of the game. especially after imho a weak case 1 it's all the more welcome to have a surprisingly strong case 2.

prologue NDRV3 >>> prologue DR1 => prologue DR2
    chapter 1 DR1 > chapter 1 DR2 > chapter 1 NDRV3
    chapter 2 NDRV3 >>>>>>>> chapter 2 DR1 > chapter 2 DR2

- - - Updated - - -

more case 2 thoughts

however, much to my chagrin, i have only spent free time with rantaro during pre C1 because i knew he was going to be an early death and i still wanted to get his skill (which failed, i only got to his second friendship fragment). then i spent time with ryoma in pre C2 because he was never going to survive to endgame (who knows, maybe no one will survive to end game as genbu already mentioned lol), but then he also died before i got his skill (got to his third friendship fragment). it caught me by surprise because i was expecting ryoma to die during mid-game, so i felt like i could still get his skill before he bites the dust. now i've 'wasted' two free-time segments.

of course the main driving factor during freetime are the characters themselves and their stories. the skills do so little usually that they really don't matter. but i am always a bit disappointed when i (as i presume) get close to unlocking a skill and then the character goes dying on me. it's not the loss of the skill itself that i care about, it's more that the friendship segments are essentially races against time to me that you can kind of win or can't win by making educated guesses who is gonna exit the cast in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

I spent the entirety of the prologue and the first part of Chapter 1 completely distrusting Shuichi, so you can imagine my surprise at how things turned out. It didn't even occur to me that something could happen to Kaede until she started tripping death flags in the elevator scene, and the realization of what really happened hit me from there.

I'm kinda disappointed that Kaede isn't the MC, she was likable enough and did a good job of differentiating herself from the other Danganronpa MCs. That being said, I do really like Shuichi now, he's already a better protagonist than Hajime in my eyes.

I 100% agree with you about the cast so far. Tenko (the neo-akido bitch) needs to go, and Angie is definitely the only other weak link. Kokichi is pretty great. He's such a detestable little shit, they really nailed the whole "love-to-hate" thing with him.

As for the next case, I haven't started it yet, but I have a gut-feeling that Gonta will die, either as the victim or from being tricked into killing someone by Kokichi. He's too innocent to last very long imo, as much as it pains me to say so.

i think if the kaede twist hits you by surprise it could have been really cool, but all the stuff that happened before the release made it excruciatingly obvious that the devs were setting up kaede as the fake protag. if you are interested you can check out the post i made for that in the thread i linked, it's sort of a compilation of all promotional material etc. that heavily hinted at her being a red herring. i don't think the game itself made it all-too-obvious that kaede was not long for this world, but ryoma's library comment to shuichi was as subtle as a sledgehammer that kaede was the culprit. outside of that, i have no strong feelings about the twist.

yes, i agree on shuichi being (surprisingly) great so far. the development of him being unassertive and hesitant to ascertain the truth to becoming a more and more able detective feels very organic and well-written. i hope they don't just stop there and essentially turn him into a DR1 kirigiri who has not a single qualm about reaching the truth as the game goes on, still a long way to go but i would find that development very enjoyable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Genbu View Post
    My opinion with trial 1 was the same. Horribly convoluted for what ended up being a simply crafted murder. Kaede being the decoy protagonist like we predicted was both hilarious and underwhelming. I was similarly not surprised by Rantaro dying first but i think he'll have a post-humous impact on the story. He knew too much not to be relevant in some way.

Got nothing to say about the minigames, they're a chore that distracts from what everyone wants to see and weirdly enough, the taxi is EASILY the worst of the lot simply because of how much time it takes.

Split argument was admittedly atmospheric though.

Wouldn't downplay Angie like that. Getting the disturbing feeling that she's not Akane 2.0 but is actually a complete sociopath and dangerous.

I also agree completely on Ouma. He's the contender for the best character so far simply for presentation. His VA's delivery is excellent and more organic than Junko's.

My impressions for the cast before actually playing the game:

-Kaede (decoy protagonist)
    -Shuichi (deuteragonist mirroring Kyouko and possible antagonist)
    -Rantaro (Wild card. Could end up a red herring or a major player)
    -Ouma (Almost definitely the mastermind or at the very least, the primary instigator in each trial)
    -Miu (Throwaway char with weird quirk. Probably going to be killed hilariously)
    -Angie (Same as the above)
    -Keebo (Same as Rantaro but I have higher estimations because RoboNaegi)
    -Kirumi (Potential Best girl. Will undoubtedly be a Blackened and probably in a similar fashion as Peko)
    -Maki (Premier waifu character. See her going far but not much else_
    -Gonta (Will die in chapter 4. Non-debatable)
    -Korekiyo (...Celeste 2.0. 90% chance of Blackened going by design alone. Probably chapter 3. The insignia on his clothes though...)
    -Tsumugi (Throwaway character. No expectations)
    -Himiko (same as above)
    -Tenko (same as above)
    -Kaito (Might be a cool dude or might be useless. What's certain though, is that he'll be a moron. Hiro 2.0?)
    -Ryoma (Thought he'd be best boy for a year now)

EDIT: For the cast a whole? Not sure if its just me but I'm noticing a higher average for competence than in the previous games where you really only expected 3 characters + the blackened to play any major role in the trials. With V3 I could count 8 off the bat.

Miraculously managed to avoid spoilers for this game by ducking every DR related anything for a year. From what I've seen, the game developers are subverting (but also subtly referencing) old trials. At this point, I'm expecting the killing game will end with everyone dying and the identity of the mastermind won't even matter.
    i completely agree on split argument being atmospheric, the theme is amazing and it's just very cool from a gameplay standpoint. however even in case 2 it was just.. way too easy, considering it really is the turning moment of the trial i feel like they should be more gutsy and actually make that segment hard.

as i already mentioned in my C2 thoughts the taxi segment truly is an absolutely horrible ''''''''''''''update'''''''''''''''''''' to logic dive, and it's not like logic dive was state-of-the-art in DR2. they should really just drop the pure action segments or at least actually intertwine them with the logic part of the trial, because as it stands it's literally just a minigame with no intellectual challenge.

with tojo my pick for mastermind has died. at this point, i am pretty sure that gonta, ouma, tsumigi, tenko, iruma, shinguji, angie and maki are gonna be the mastermind, which is basically the entire cast. i can really only see kaito and keebo being the mastermind, however what is much more likely is that nobody of the students is the mastermind in my opinion. i already mentioned last year that it's just weird that the promo material mentioned professor adabashi (or whatever his name) is for kibou who's just completely irrelevant to the setting, feels like a cheap bread crumb they set up. kaito is probably just hiro 2.0 except more complex and i would hate for him to be the mastermind, but tbh with junko essentially being the DR2 mastermind i don't really expect too much about that development of the story anymore so my expectations are low.