Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I laughed.

Also as someone that grew up not far off being poor, having pulled myself up by my bootstraps I know it's possible to elevate yourself.

It's hard but it's doable which is why anyone that acts like being poor is the sole reason for them not achieving anything I have no respect for.
    I respect that and I get what you're saying.

As we achieve success however, let's also do what we can to help those in worse positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    I respect that and I get what you're saying.

As we achieve success however, let's also do what we can to help those in worse positions.
    If you're suggesting donating to charity then I've got news for you most charities only give a fraction of what they receive to people in need.

And if you're suggesting being some kind of benefactor, unless you've got sunday times/forbes rich list money, it's only going to benefit a few people and only seems like you trying to appear benevolent.

however if you mean anonymously making donations to programs that help the disenfranchised then you're doing it for the right reasons and not kudos which I can get behind.

The ideal wealth distribution will never be achieved

If you're suggesting donating to charity then I've got news for you most charities only give a fraction of what they receive to people in need.

And if you're suggesting being some kind of benefactor, unless you've got sunday times/forbes rich list money, it's only going to benefit a few people and only seems like you trying to appear benevolent.

however if you mean anonymously making donations to programs that help the disenfranchised then you're doing it for the right reasons and not kudos which I can get behind.
    I've never trusted charities much.

I meant making a personal contribution to make their lives better in a specific way.

I've never trusted charities much.

I meant making a personal contribution to make their lives better in a specific way.
    which you would do under the veil of anonymity because you're doing it for noble reasons not kudos?

which you would do under the veil of anonymity because you're doing it for noble reasons not kudos?
    My goal is to be a wealthy guy who can walk down the street without anyone knowing who I am.

So I won't go out of my way to be anonymous but I won't do it because I care about being praised either.

My goal is to be a wealthy guy who can walk down the street without anyone knowing who I am.

So I won't go out of my way to be anonymous but I won't do it because I care about being praised either.
    Lol, if you don't care about the praise then why not do it anonymously?

It's obvious you do care otherwise why else make your influence and generosity tie back to you.

Lol, if you don't care about the praise then why not do it anonymously?

It's obvious you do care otherwise why else make your influence and generosity tie back to you.
    I don't want to do my work anonymously.

Helping the poor includes more than just sending money their way, that rarely fixes the problem.

I don't want to do my work anonymously.

Helping the poor includes more than just sending money their way, that rarely fixes the problem.
    >Wants to be anonymous
    >plans to hand out life changing money and influence

Sounds to me like you want to do it to give yourself a pat on the back rather than helping other people.

Someone that wanted to do this to give back who doesn't live in the public eye like celebrities would do stuff like this quietly and without drawing attention to themselves, it's why I've not listed what I personally do because I don't do it for kudos or recognition.

>Wants to be anonymous
    >plans to hand out life changing money and influence

Sounds to me like you want to do it to give yourself a pat on the back rather than helping other people.

Someone that wanted to do this to give back who doesn't live in the public eye like celebrities would do stuff like this quietly and without drawing attention to themselves, it's why I've not listed what I personally do because I don't do it for kudos or recognition.
    Where did I say I wanted to hand out life changing money and influence to someone? Where did I say I wanted to be anonymous?

Or were you talking about yourself there?
    Last edited by Fabulous; 07-16-2017 at 07:46 PM.

As long as two things are taken care of, there isn't a need to worry about exactly what level of wealth inequality is unacceptable. One, that everyone's basic needs are taken care of. Food, shelter, education, healthcare and so on. No one should be deprived of those things on the basis on their financial situation. Two, that money can not be obtained in an immoral way.

As for the issue of poverty itself, it is a systemic issue that requires a huge shift in the governmental and economic system running the world at the moment. But giving charity is always good, provided that your intentions are pure and you do your homework.

Where did I say I wanted to hand out life changing money and influence to someone? Where did I say I wanted to be anonymous?

Or were you talking about yourself there?
    you want to walk down the street and be inconspicious yet you want to be rich and a philanthropist

you said it yourself.

Since you aim to be rich how else is that statement meant to be interpreted? because if you're rich that implies disposable income, which means what you might consider a small insignificant amount can have a profound impact on the life of someone living below the poverty line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    Two, that money can not be obtained in an immoral way.
    What do you define as immoral?

Because there's plenty of respectable professions that could be considered immoral

IE banking IE investment and unscrupulous lenders, the medical industry where we charge people to save their lives (even in free systems where you're taxed idirectly), the pharmaceutical industry where exorbitant prices are charged for treatments, the defence industry where you make stuff to end the lives of other human beings it's a pretty long list tbh.

you want to walk down the street and be inconspicious yet you want to be rich and a philanthropist

you said it yourself.

Since you aim to be rich how else is that statement meant to be interpreted? because if you're rich that implies disposable income, which means what you might consider a small insignificant amount can have a profound impact on the life of someone living below the poverty line.

- - - Updated - - -

Because there's plenty of respectable professions that could be considered immoral

IE banking IE investment and unscrupulous lenders, the medical industry where we charge people to save their lives (even in free systems where you're taxed idirectly), the pharmaceutical industry where exorbitant prices are charged for treatments, the defence industry where you make stuff to end the lives of other human beings it's a pretty long list tbh.
    Let me clarify.

I want anonymity in terms of my personal wealth so people in general won't know me as a rich person.

However when doing work to help those in need, I don't want to be anonymous though I won't go out of my way to make myself known, and as I said before, helping others include more than just sending money their way, that rarely fixes the problem.

If I'm helping those in need, I'm going to tackle poverty itself, for example by creating and innovating desalination projects to the point you can build one in every city around the world and give everyone access to clean water they can also use to grow food, something like that

Imo donations are a lazy way and only works on a really small scale in the short term, think of real solutions instead.
    Last edited by Fabulous; 07-16-2017 at 08:40 PM.

It's true that what a person considers moral will vary from person to person depending on their upbringing, beliefs and so on. I'm a Muslim so I base my opinions on what is or is not moral, as well as my opinion on economics, based on that.

Interest, lack of access to free education and healthcare, dishonest business practices and so on all make the list for me. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with charging a person for medical treatment if you do private work, but I do think it's immoral for a government to not provide the option of basic, or at least affordable, healthcare to everyone. It is a long list, like you said.

Let me clarify.

I want anonymity in terms of my personal wealth so people in general won't know me as a rich person.

However when doing work to help those in need, I don't want to be anonymous though I won't go out of my way to make myself known, and as I said before, helping others include more than just sending money their way, that rarely fixes the problem.

If I'm helping those in need, I'm going to tackle poverty itself, for example by creating and innovating desalination projects to the point you can build one in every city around the world and give everyone access to clean water they can also use to grow food, something like that

Imo donations are a lazy way and only works on a really small scale in the short term, think of real solutions instead.
    Rofl, if you think making desalination is affordable or can be jumpstarted with a few thousand you're going to be in for a surprise.

also that's dumb, starting projects won't reduce the cost of it, if you really wanted to effect change you'd start a project to increase the research done into it to bring the overall cost down.