Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Made in Abyss

Wanted to check this out before sleep yesterday, some time around 2-3am, thinking I'd read a few chapters. Well, things happened and basically I went to sleep at 6am.

I'll post a more detailed opinion later, but the fact that I didn't go to sleep before finishing it should speak for itself.

Welcome to the abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by Femto View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to the abyss.
    Thanks to your discussion in the CB.

Alright. Story spoilers ahead.

Not gonna lie, the first few panels almost had me drop it. The weird art and a main cast of 12 year olds did not appeal to me in the slightest. However, seeing how I ended up there on a recommendation, I thought I should just hustle through and see where that takes me (apparently it takes you to going to bed at dawn ).

Slowly but surely, the story started taking shape and the kids started their first expedition. Still, everything was quite tranquil. Even the snake encounter wasn't too scary. It seemed innocent - a wandering beast attacking the MC, only to get repelled by "a hero".

Fast forward and Riko and Reg meet their first real obstacle, Ozen. Luckily, she was actually there to help them, albeit in a very crude manner. Never the less, the encounter strengthened them and they were on their way deeper into the Abyss. Who could've known Ozen was very, very serious when she said Bondrewd wouldn't be as kind? We get a bit of a shocker there when we learn Riko's origin and how scary the Abyss can be.

Ever since they got into the 4th layer and fought the Tamaugachi, the story pretty much turned into a horror. Starting with Riko bleeding from every orifice and Reg's pitiful attempt to cut her hand off, it just kept getting worse. First we get to see Mitty, then we learn how she became like that and finally the terror that keeps watch of the game to the 6th layer. It just keeps mind fucking time and time again. He's basically farming children to turn them into abominations and even he himself isn't human anymore. He's just a scientific mind going from one body to another that does anything to advance his science. The Curse of the Abyss apparently triggers almost instantly at this point, seeing how Riko almost killed herself from climbing a flight of stairs.

Finally, they get into the 6th layer and things seem alright at the beginning. Alright only because we've seen some messed up shit already, adding more of the same isn't gonna be a problem. The current latest chapter ended on a cliff hanger with multiple plot points unveiling and a very strong suggestion that the Narehate have something nasty cooking for our MCs.

As I read through the story, the art that I found weird at the start instead transformed into a unique style that I came to love. There are so many shots of the Abyss that are breath taking and the ecosystems shown are absolutely amazing. The story is mesmerizing to the point where I could literally not stop reading. The contrast between the 12 year old main cast and the dark theme of the manga is so powerful that the story absolutely couldn't be pulled off with an adult cast. I was gonna say I don't have a single complaint but, alas - I'd rather if we weren't having naked children. It's not sexualized so it's tolerable, but I think the same messages could've been conveyed in other ways.

All in all, it's amazing.

@Pimp of Pimps; @Great Potato;
    Mind fixing the title?

Hold for applause (◡‿◡✿) Nikamara's Avatar
    I watched one episode of the anime :/
    It was very good, but I won't watch any more or read it.
    The set up made me feel like the orphans are child slaves.
    I bet this show will make me sad so I stopped. Just by skimming this thread, it seems my intuition was right. Something is amiss about that abyss and I'm staying the fuck away from it.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Assassin Game - SIGN UPS! click here!
    Nika's Fairy Tail Reading Log - click here!
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikamara View Post
    I bet this show will make me sad so I stopped. Just by skimming this thread, it seems my intuition was right. Something is amiss about that abyss and I'm staying the fuck away from it.
    You don't want to miss this.

1. Nice poetry.

2. No wonder you love Yowamushi

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, just about to start episode 10. Ozen was cool.
    http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic12330_1.gif

Hold for applause (◡‿◡✿) Nikamara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zu View Post
    1. Nice poetry.

- - - Updated - - -

I like action comedy and romance
    and I love sports manga the most.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Assassin Game - SIGN UPS! click here!
    Nika's Fairy Tail Reading Log - click here!
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

I like action comedy and romance
    and I love sports manga the most.
    I figured. I'm the same. Well without the romance.

1. Nice poetry.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts so far?

Thoughts so far?
    It's great. It makes a pretty stark transition though from being light and friendly to dark and morbid starting with Ozen. The closing theme seems like a cruel joke considering the nature of the show. Granted I haven't actually paid attention to the lyrics. The OST is pretty darn good. The awe and curiosity you get from the abyss and the gorgeous environments draw me in like no other. I've never been so enthralled by the setting of a manga/anime. Characters are good and all. My only gripe ---and it's bothering me a bit more than I anticipated from reading reviews --- are the sexual situations they put these children in and the jokes they make about it. Pacing seems weird as well. Anyways, all that being said, I'd probably rate it a 9/10 going into episode 12.

Now that I think about it...maybe sexual is the wrong way to describe it, but you know what I mean...I hope.

It's great. It makes a pretty stark transition though from being light and friendly to dark and morbid starting with Ozen. The closing theme seems like a cruel joke considering the nature of the show. Granted I haven't actually paid attention to the lyrics. The OST is pretty darn good. The awe and curiosity you get from the abyss and the gorgeous environments draw me in like no other. I've never been so enthralled by the setting of a manga/anime. Characters are good and all. My only gripe ---and it's bothering me a bit more than I anticipated from reading reviews --- are the sexual situations they put these children in and the jokes they make about it. Pacing seems weird as well. Anyways, all that being said, I'd probably rate it a 9/10 going into episode 12.

Now that I think about it...maybe sexual is the wrong way to describe it, but you know what I mean...I hope.
    Yeeeeah, some of the scenes are pretty wtf concidering they are 12 yo kids, well Riko is at least.

Thankfully there's very little of it.

Yeeeeah, some of the scenes are pretty wtf concidering they are 12 yo kids, well Riko is at least.

Thankfully there's very little of it.
    Yeah not a fan. Don't really know what the mangaka was thinking, but whatever

I said it bothers me more than I anticipated, but that's still not that much, considering what you just said, hence the rating being 9/10.

What I find interesting is how little time it seems they're spending on these layers.

so guys, how's this

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    so guys, how's this
    It's great.

It's great. It makes a pretty stark transition though from being light and friendly to dark and morbid starting with Ozen.

Oh man, if you only knew what's coming.

You can check my review when you're done with it. Or right now, if you like spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post

Oh man, if you only knew what's coming.

You can check my review when you're done with it. Or right now, if you like spoilers.
    Lol, I think I'll wait. So it gets more morbid though huh? Just got past the part where Nanachi asks Reg to do that one thing

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    so guys, how's this
    You need to watch/read this asap.

- - - Updated - - -

So it gets more morbid though huh?
    It doesn't stop, it just keeps getting worse and worse.

You need to watch/read this asap.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't stop, it just keeps getting worse and worse.
    But they're just kids!

But they're just kids!
    I know.

I know.
    It's an interesting juxtaposition. The kids and the Abyss that is.
    Last edited by Zu; 10-17-2017 at 08:05 AM.