Thread: Moon Knight

Moon Knight

@Makenzye;

Tell me some good Moon Knight stories to read? Origin story in its modern form preferably

Thanks to Cake~

Many of Moon Knights start ups have some sort of call back to his origin, so any of them will really work. There's nothing too complicated about it anyway.

It's always a variation of: He was a mercenary who was hired and betrayed by Bushman concerning an archaeological dig in Egypt around some temple ruins. The doctor and his daughter were the scientists and Bushman was going to kill them. Marc intervenes and is left for dead by Bushman. Either he drags himself or is dragged into the temple in front of a statue of Khonshu and is then given a chance at life again as the Avatar of Vengeance. From then on he uses all his earnings and investments as the priest clad in white clothes who goes out and beats up whomever he thinks has it coming to them.

He also has multiple personalities who sometimes operate for or against him.

For good stuff with him in it? Volumes 5, 7, and 8. Though really only Volume 5 is the most graphic in his displays of violence. Volume 5 is also very different in how batshit insane Moon Knight is portrayed as being. In the other two volumes he always seems to be fighting off the insanity, but in Volume 5 he IS the insanity with a truly suicidal bend to how he operates. I actually based my Spotlight all that time ago on that Moon Knight. http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...l=1#post181590

Thanks.

I'm somewhat confused though. Moon knight volume 5? No subtitle?

Thanks to Cake~

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks.

I'm somewhat confused though. Moon knight volume 5? No subtitle?
    Comic companies usually relaunch older series with the same name and volumes are actually numbered by name and rarely use subtitles or pre-titles to differentiate them for purchasing sake. So that means I gave you slightly incomplete information and I was off by one volume. When I said Volume 5 I really meant Volume 4. Though technically it's only Volume 3. I'll explain below.

His series went something like this:

Moon Knight early 80's
    Marc Spector: Moon Knight late 80's
    Moon Knight late 90's
    Moon Knight 2006
    Vengeance of the Moon Knight late 2009
    Moon Knight 2011
    Moon Knight 2014
    Moon Knight 2016

Some of the confusion comes in how Vengeance of the Moon Knight is sometimes considered part of 2006 or 2011 Moon Knight (often 2011) since it was renamed partway through its run. Most of the confusion is how comic companies actually consider what makes a volume. Normally, titles with slightly different names do not count as an actual volume since volumes are only counted by actual name and doubly so since it just gets rolled into other series occasionally. So if we had a comic called "TMF" it would be considered Vol 1, and any other comic we release with the specific title "TMF" would be the next volume, but if we changed something and called it "TMF: The New Kids," that title would be considered it's own vol. 1 since it is considered a completely new series. Because of this, Marc Spector: Moon Knight and Vengeance of the Moon Knight are considered their own volumes completely independent of other Moon Knights. I should have said "4, 6, and 7 in titles," since that better reflects which ones to read. Otherwise you'll find that the 7th and 8th volumes don't exist. A famous incident of this is the Justice Society. My favorite run of their series isn't actually considered part of it because it wasn't titled, "Justice Society of America," and was named "JSA," giving it their own vol. 1 title.

Unfortunately for naming conventions, this means there's only 6 (or 7) actual volumes of Moon Knight and one that's considered it's own volume 1 (or two considered their own volume 1). And oddly enough that means Moon Knight had two vol. 1's in a row because of naming.

Either way, the Moon Knights from 2006, 2014, and 2016 are the ones I recommend most.
    Last edited by Makenzye; 06-05-2017 at 01:33 PM.