3 37.50%
  • 3/5

3 37.50%
  • 4/5

1 12.50%
  • 5/5

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting from ch 207, when Nene was introduced as raised in a soba restaurant, her soba hype didn't end for a single moment until the judging. Yes, in fact, I expect someone like that to know everything there is to know about the mentioned ingredient.

She didn't fail because her dish wasn't thought through, she didn't fail because he pulled something out of his ass, she failed because she failed in processing her own ace in the hole.

You're free to be fine with it, I'm not, nor will I be.

i am not sure how you can seriously compare an entire country's cuisine (italy) to a single dish from another country (soba), no matter how complex it may be. these are some strong mental gymnastics, the fault in this argument is so obvious that i have trouble believing that you don't see it yourself.

nothing souma should have learned in these couple of weeks should have surprised nene. the dynamics of this match are like some random shmuck schooling a great philosopher by using some argument they learnt on the internet. mind you this is the 'elite' ten. nene absolutely did not do her reputation nor her standing in the school justice, she was legitimately bested by an almost sandbagging souma. nene's match was nothing more than a hype match for souma and it was in her specialty.

she was said to be the best soba artisan period in the academy some chapters ago i am pretty sure. the author just makes shit up as he goes lol, once you start even remotely thinking in the large picture when it comes to sns, the story always emerges as very flawed.

nene's loss contradicts concrete-established facts. when academy chefs have always been said to be the cream of the crop and the E10 supposedly is guaranteed to be among the leading cooks of their generation, the notion of nene winning losing should have never even been considered. that's truly the problem with sns, it takes itself very serious at times but features pseudo-cooking and inconsistent storywriting. and when most things can be explained away with suspension of disbelief, these developments can only be explained with the inaptitude of the writer and his editors

Quote Originally Posted by Strain View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i am not sure how you can seriously compare an entire country's cuisine (italy) to a single dish from another country (soba), no matter how complex it may be. these are some strong mental gymnastics, the fault in this argument is so obvious that i have trouble believing that you don't see it yourself.
    You do have a point there.

nothing souma should have learned in these couple of weeks should have surprised nene. the dynamics of this match are like some random shmuck schooling a great philosopher by using some argument they learnt on the internet. mind you this is the 'elite' ten. nene absolutely did not do her reputation nor her standing in the school justice, she was legitimately bested by an almost sandbagging souma. nene's match was nothing more than a hype match for souma and it was in her specialty.

she was said to be the best soba artisan period in the academy some chapters ago i am pretty sure. the author just makes shit up as he goes lol, once you start even remotely thinking in the large picture when it comes to sns, the story always emerges as very flawed.

nene's loss contradicts concrete-established facts. when academy chefs have always been said to be the cream of the crop and the E10 supposedly is guaranteed to be among the leading cooks of their generation, the notion of nene winning losing should have never even been considered. that's truly the problem with sns, it takes itself very serious at times but features pseudo-cooking and inconsistent storywriting. and when most things can be explained away with suspension of disbelief, these developments can only be explained with the inaptitude of the writer and his editors
    That's what I said my main gripe was, that the writer did not show that this temperature could affect some dishes, I still wouldn't be happy about Souma beating Nene, but it would be a little bit better if they talked about it earlier in the arc in my opinion.
    She actually didn't do that bad, it's the way that the writer portayed how she didn't know this that makes it look worse. While her dish was nerfed by the temperature we have the WGO Judges having great reactions to her dish do we do know that her skills are good enough that while her dish was not at full capacity it was still a high level dish.

But even during the match a couple chapters ago we see Nene and Souma doing exactly what Isshiki said this chapter, it's just the way it all played out that makes it worse imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    Starting from ch 207, when Nene was introduced as raised in a soba restaurant, her soba hype didn't end for a single moment until the judging. Yes, in fact, I expect someone like that to know everything there is to know about the mentioned ingredient.

She didn't fail because her dish wasn't thought through, she didn't fail because he pulled something out of his ass, she failed because she failed in processing her own ace in the hole.

You're free to be fine with it, I'm not, nor will I be.
    She was not raised in a cold location and she was taught via tradition, her missing something that specific when it doesn't affect her family's tradition at all since they lived in Tokyo is not a strike against her.

I agree with that.

I don't really care if you are fine with it or not I'm just disagreeing with the notion that Nene gets put down for something like that. Sure it shows a lack of knowledge about everything around Soba but that's it.
    Last edited by Flow; 05-12-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    She was not raised in a cold location and she was taught via tradition, her missing something that specific when it doesn't affect her family's tradition at all is since they live in Tokyo is not a strike against her.

I agree with that.

I don't really care if you are fine with it or not I'm just disagreeing with the notion that Nene gets put down for something like that. Sure it shows a lack of knowedge but that's it.
    Well that just further enforces the point being made here, she's got no place in the elite ten. The only reason she was put there was because of her background and the fact that she supported that faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    Well that just further enforces the point being made here, she's got no place in the elite ten. The only reason she was put there was because of her background and the fact that she supported that faction.
    Not really, the fact that the judges gave those reactions when her dish was not at full potential just shows you how good she was.

She was in the Elite Ten before Azami if you "That faction"=Central.
    Last edited by Flow; 05-12-2017 at 06:30 PM.

She failed because somehow and magically she was able to pass her entire school life through razor specific soba based competitions. Utility and flexibility are used as tests to weed out the others.

Honestly, the stuff she failed on was more first year junk than anything. And -especially- being a Soba master who understands other chef's minds and public attitude toward the types of 1/3, 1/2, etc. she shouldn't have been blindsided by something like temperature. That should've been something she knew from long ago just by doing soba alone. In fact, I'd be more surprised she didn't have specific recipes known from all over the country because of the temperature differences and regional tastes.

Eh I think I'm just going to stop.

Eh I think I'm just going to stop.
    No go.

I think the Nene competition was just handled poorly. Which is a shame because the hype for her was sky high. They could've done the same result with the same methodology if they worked a little bit more on -why- she did things the way she did and improved the chapter overall.

Tootsuki must really suck if it doesn't even teach these basic level stuff

It's a shitty chapter

but people are dragging the Temp thing to hard it can to even the best people

Kind of a lame way to have Nene lose IMO. What, she's never had to deal with different room temperatures before?

Still not as bad as Souma being outright better than her I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    She failed because somehow and magically she was able to pass her entire school life through razor specific soba based competitions. Utility and flexibility are used as tests to weed out the others.

Honestly, the stuff she failed on was more first year junk than anything. And -especially- being a Soba master who understands other chef's minds and public attitude toward the types of 1/3, 1/2, etc. she shouldn't have been blindsided by something like temperature. That should've been something she knew from long ago just by doing soba alone. In fact, I'd be more surprised she didn't have specific recipes known from all over the country because of the temperature differences and regional tastes.
    No go.

I think the Nene competition was just handled poorly. Which is a shame because the hype for her was sky high. They could've done the same result with the same methodology if they worked a little bit more on -why- she did things the way she did and improved the chapter overall.
    Alright if you insist.

The thing is the tests that we've seen first years do, wouldn't make Nene realize that her traditional cooking wasn't something that she could always use. Going by memory the stuff they usually had to do to pass were usually making a specific dish, make a dish out of random ingredients, a speed challenge, sell a certain amount of dishes, and make a notable change in a restaurant. Might have forgot some. But none of those things would have made Nene realize that she couldn't always rely on traditional cooking especially if her traditional cooking was that good.

All she learned was traditional japanese skills, that's why I think her not thinking about the temperature isn't really big deal for me. The temperature was likely at a point that her family never had to deal with due to living in a relatively warm location.

But the writer did show several times that when it came to Soba Nene was only going by books/traditions and we see Souma doing what Isshiki said which was thinking about the judges themselves.

And those scans were from Chapter 208 which was 6 chapters ago. So the writer was clearly going to make Souma win this way but like you said he should've done more. All we got was that Nene did things the way she did because she liked the sense of accomplishment she gets when she improves on her skills and the fact that she liked it when people watched her practice her traditions as well. But in the end despite how it played out Nene's dish has one of the best reactions in this series despite being nerfed, that's pretty good in its own right.
    Last edited by Flow; 05-12-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Alright if you insist.

The thing is the tests that we've seen first years do, wouldn't make Nene realize that her traditional cooking wasn't something that she could always use. Going by memory the stuff they usually had to do to pass were usually making a specific dish, make a dish out of random ingredients, a speed challenge, sell a certain amount of dishes, and make a notable change in a restaurant. Might have forgot some. But none of those things would have made Nene realize that she couldn't always rely on traditional cooking especially if her traditional cooking was that good.

All she learned was traditional japanese skills, that's why I think her not thinking about the temperature isn't really big deal for me. The temperature was likely at a point that her family never had to deal with due to living in a relatively warm location.

But the writer did show several times that when it came to Soba Nene was only going by books/traditions and we see Souma doing what Isshiki said which was thinking about the judges themselves.

And those scans were from Chapter 208 which was 6 chapters ago. So the writer was clearly going to make Souma win this way but like you said he should've done more. All we got was that Nene did things the way she did because she liked the sense of accomplishment she gets when she improves on her skills and the fact that she liked it when people watched her practice her traditions as well. But in the end despite how it played out Nene's dish has one of the best reactions in this series despite being nerfed, that's pretty good in its own right.
    Whew. Never throw in that towel.

I'm thinking those books probably would've warned about certain temperatures and noodles and regional types of Soba and why they are that way, and doubly so if she is extremely studious and her focus is cooking itself of which the environment and temperatures are big factors. I just couldn't imagine her family being so well versed in Soba and such a prestigious family would somehow just not know about something the WGO themselves would talk about and reference in other competitions. Heck, she should've seen this herself in other Tootsuki Shokugekis. It seems like something which should have and could have come about as seasons change. A parallel would be like me trying to explain the history of comics and leaving out things like generational values and the Comics Code to help them understand just what they're reading and why it's that way. Or even worse: Be the authority of comic history and not know of the Comics Code or how generations affected comic output. What made it bad is she clearly is extremely knowledgeable about variations and specifics and even the risk of using different types of noodles enough to note and analyze Souma's own work. Honestly, it could have been fixed when she noticed Souma was challenging her directly and focused so hard on making sure her family's traditional Soba was so completely recognized that she let her pride and drive blind her to her more developed skills. That way I could see her just wanting to win at that specific craft as opposed to winning with whatever it took. This way just made it seem like they're both first years with similar skills but the only difference is Souma somehow naturally grasped the concept better than Nene, who definitely should know about this sort of thing.

While I think that first years aren't necessarily steered away from their personal dishes, a lot of the tests are specifically about cooking things outside of their norm which would cover things like temperature and regional variations to teach them observation and flexibility. Basics the Elite 10 would've had to beyond mastered to get into the world they are in. Such as the breakfast buffet or even earlier on when Alice talked about how environment could affect her foods and why she had personal machines to help with overcoming that very weakness.

Whew. Never throw in that towel.

I'm thinking those books probably would've warned about certain temperatures and noodles and regional types of Soba and why they are that way, and doubly so if she is extremely studious and her focus is cooking itself of which the environment and temperatures are big factors. I just couldn't imagine her family being so well versed in Soba and such a prestigious family would somehow just not know about something the WGO themselves would talk about and reference in other competitions. Heck, she should've seen this herself in other Tootsuki Shokugekis. It seems like something which should have and could have come about as seasons change. A parallel would be like me trying to explain the history of comics and leaving out things like generational values and the Comics Code to help them understand just what they're reading and why it's that way. Or even worse: Be the authority of comic history and not know of the Comics Code or how generations affected comic output. What made it bad is she clearly is extremely knowledgeable about variations and specifics and even the risk of using different types of noodles enough to note and analyze Souma's own work. Honestly, it could have been fixed when she noticed Souma was challenging her directly and focused so hard on making sure her family's traditional Soba was so completely recognized that she let her pride and drive blind her to her more developed skills. That way I could see her just wanting to win at that specific craft as opposed to winning with whatever it took. This way just made it seem like they're both first years with similar skills but the only difference is Souma somehow naturally grasped the concept better than Nene, who definitely should know about this sort of thing.

While I think that first years aren't necessarily steered away from their personal dishes, a lot of the tests are specifically about cooking things outside of their norm which would cover things like temperature and regional variations to teach them observation and flexibility. Basics the Elite 10 would've had to beyond mastered to get into the world they are in. Such as the breakfast buffet or even earlier on when Alice talked about how environment could affect her foods and why she had personal machines to help with overcoming that very weakness.
    I'm just tired.

We can't really say for sure.

I think you are underestimating how cold the temperature was. They were in Hokkaido during the winter and she is from Tokyo and it's pretty clear that it does not snow near Totsuki Academy considering how the First Years reacted to the snow especially people like Sakaki and Yuuki who have likely been there since middle school. The season change wouldn't be that drastic.

Hokkaido has it's own type of dishes likely accustomed for the cold we've seen that during Erina's lessons, I don't see Nene's family focusing on something that they won't have to worry about to begin with. I don't see a restaurant getting that knowledgable about their dish like Alice does because Alice's whole gimmick is science I would think she would know about the components in Soba better than Nene's family but Nene's family would obviously cook them better. Like you said she was clearly knowledgable about Soba, but all those things were drilled into her by her family, why learn about something that won't affect you. That woud've made this match better yes.

Not really, most of the test weren't really about cooking outside the norm, remember we've been going mostly through Souma's perception and he is great at that due to his experience which gives him a goos boost, Nene likely doesn't have that type of experience due to the way her family works. Azami even called her cooking textbook cooking. We've always seen comments when someone truly went out of the norm, like Takumi vs Mimasaka they announced that he did something clearly outside the norm. The breakfast buffet was the challenge when Souma made the omelets correct? If so that didn't require anyone to think outside the box aslong as your dish was good enough to attract people. Marui passed and we know he is just walking textbook. I don't remember Alice saying that tbh, but given that she traveled to different environment a lot, it would make sense that she would know.

This was an okay chapter, a 3/5 for me. I dislike how Soma won against Nene, even though I understand it.

I did like the little bits of humor that were in this chapter about how the judge Anne brought along non-cooking related books and it looks like the Rebels can still go through the cage bars, as we saw in the last chapter. That little design mistake is funny/quirky, so the humor brings it up a bit. However, I dislike how all of a sudden, Nene is all "I'm not as good a chef as he is." Seriously, you're the best female 2nd-year? Have some pride! Anyway, it looks like this match was a literal example of how the setting affects the condition in a fight(TMF battle reference). How does someone raised in soba since in birth not know about how temperature could affect your own main ingredient? Is first-flour soba supposedly some infalliable ingredient? The flavor could never be affected by anything? idk, but still Soma isn't technically stronger than Nene now, but the setting of the Shokugeki just allowed him to win the match. He was weaker, but he won(another TMF battle reference). I find that okay, still flawed, but an okay way to win.

Overall, some of the humor, and both a positive and a negative for how the match was won, I give this chapter a 3/5.

It makes no sense how Nene wouldn't recognize the room's temperature and adjust.

2/5

okay, this was worse than what the spoilers indicated. If Souma won because creativity/innovation/thinking outside the box, okay, but biggest reason why she lost was because of something someone of her supposed stature in her specialty could've avoided is bs.

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

And here I was getting ready to read a below par chapter after reading the comments to get the feel of the chapter since my internet problems delayed my reading schedule and to my surprise the chapter didn't turn out to be as bad as people make it out to be.

I mean after reading Chap 213 I was kinda worried that win might prove to be fatal to Nene's hype but the reason for her loss is as solid as one can make. All this talk about her being nerfed and the loss not satisfying is just you guys looking down on the author's work.

I mean its not like the thing about temperature came as a surprise to many, just that certain circumstances and coincidences( e.g the soba theme not about Souma's choices) led to Nene being caught napping or off guard, and the author had Isshiki explain such things right down to the last detail. At the end of the day this is a Shokugeki which is meant to hold futures of many at stake so its not surprising for an elite ten member to miss out on some details whether minor or major due to pressure and tension whether one is aware of them or not.

"From this chapter one can take this match as an equivalence of a war between a strategical commander and an instinctual commander. Since Nene acquired her skills by having the beat in to her since a young age, which is similar to how strategical commanders are usually raised since they are properly taught in the art of war (military arts) for years. While Souma on the other hand acquired his skills by working in a real restaurant, similar to how most instinctual commanders have their instincts sharpened by being on the frontlines without prior knowledge about military arts (others do have prior knowledge but most acquire it on the battlefield itself)."

So in conclusion on this particular occasion Souma's battle sharpened instinct perceived the battlefield's (arena's) conditions better than Nene's hard earned logical reasoning, none of this has anything to do with Nene's dish being nerfed or her skills not being elite ten tier as most think. Well that is unless anyone here can come up with a better scenario were Nene's loss can be accepted by all without any complaints.

well you know... even without Nene coming from cold region, what happened during Winter then?

surely her family does something extra during Winter if the cold really does something significant to the dish?

Nene is a fooder even Julio seems more impressive though he will be stomped by Isshiki.

Only top 5 and higher elite ten are worth more than two cents.