Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PoPs library notes

​In this thread I'll post various thoughts and/or excerpts from books I'm currently reading.
    No.​

The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Have you tried anything from Robbin Hobb yet.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

I haven't. Which books do you recommend?

I'm currently reading "Why Gender Matters." So far it has touched on the differences in how boys and girls learn and why this needs to be common knowledge in the education sector.
    No.​

The Dragon of Katsurahama Nordlending's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I haven't. Which books do you recommend?

I'm currently reading "Why Gender Matters." So far it has touched on the differences in how boys and girls learn and why this needs to be common knowledge in the education sector.
    I can make you a list. It will be mostly fantasy.

Robin Hobb has written a lot of books contained in the same world. Usually changing the main characters for each trilogy.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Currently reading 'Revenge' by Martina COLE. Stopped till after the exams but, but a thrilling one if you ask me ... not suitable for very young ages though
    Last edited by DreX; 05-02-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post

Robin Hobb has written a lot of books contained in the same world. Usually changing the main characters for each trilogy.

I've read 9 of his books, The fool is my favorite character in the books I've read, closely followed by Vrit (that's the name in french). I haven't read anything of "the fitz and the fool trilogy" (didn't know it even existed), now I'll consider putting that on my todo list !

So far the book is really good. I'm only about 20% through and there is already a wealth of information I've come across.

The author brings up a good point in saying lots of people, and especially institutions, treat both genders exactly the same in the name of 'equality' but fail to realize this is harming children. For example, at least one anecdote in this book talked about how a child was wrongly diagnosed with ADD and given medications.

Some things I've learned thus far:

- Girls generally hear better than boys. Sometimes this translates to boys not paying attention in class because they can't hear the teacher as well. Conversely, girls may be uncomfortable at the volume boys are comfortable at. They might feel they are being yelled at or that the teacher shouts.

- The collection between the amygdala and cerebral cortex is weaker in males. Which is why males tend not to want to overly talk about their feelings and may even have a harder time describing their feelings.

- Risk is a big thing. Boys and girls respond very idea to the idea of risk generally. Girls are usually overly cautious. It may be beneficial to teach them to take calculated risks from a young age. Boys are the other way around. What's interesting is that boys seems to need a certain amount of risk in their lives, hence males doing lots of stupid stuff. The way to handle this is to let them do activities that provide a controlled level of risk such as sports, play fighting and so on. It seems like men who didn't engage in activities like this as children or adults end up becoming more violent as time progresses, not less. Without an outlet they just sort of explode. This is a solid point against banning things like dodgeball from schools or not letting your kids roughhouse.

- Seems like men tend to become better friends after a fight, whereas fights end up often destroying friendships completely for girls. This has been observed across species.

- Men respond to threats differently than women. It seems different chemicals are secreted, though I forget the names. Seems like most studies on the 'flight or fight' response has been done on male animals because scientists assumed that this would not be a gender specific thing and male animals were easier to test of. But recently it's come to light that this is incorrect. Males respond to threat with a feeling of exhilaration, hence they are more risk prone. Women respond with a sense of disgust or uneasiness, hence they are generally more risk averse.

That's it off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post

I'm usually more of a non-fiction guys nowadays but this looks promising. I'll check them out.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 05-02-2017 at 12:16 PM.
    No.​

@Pimp of Pimps;
    That's some good info.

@Bold;

I'm sure you'll find this info interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    @Pimp of Pimps;
    That's some good info.

Thanks. This is just scratching the surface though.

Unfortunately it seems like some people don't want to admit facts like these and it results in a wider gap between the genders.

The second bullet I just added by the way, you may have missed it but IMO it's one of the more interesting ones.

Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 05-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    No.​

@Pimp of Pimps;
    I've discusses that and some other matters before, but reinforcing your points is always a good thing. Wish I had more time to do what you're doing now, gather more information.
    Generally I've got enough to support my claims, but you can never have too much information.

@Pimp of Pimps; Interesting bits of info indeed. I'll see if I can find the french translation of that book

Glad you like it. I'll post some more info later today.
    No.​

Nice post.

Had no clue about that amygdala thing.I thought it only governed our fears and reactions to intense experiences. It's a tiny part of the brain but it has a big influence on how we behave.

As I understand it, the threat response and desire for risk has a lot to do with testosterone. It's the most important hormone men have. It makes us more aggressive (in a good way, more driven, bold and determined), helps lose fat, build muscle, ages us better, makes you happier and more confident, betters athletic and sexual performance and a long, long list of other benefits. I think it's necessary for all men to do what they can to raise their testosterone naturally. It'll solve a lot of their smaller problems.

Unfortunately, modern life has caused a severe drop in testosterone levels for men. This pattern won't change anytime soon unless people take it into their own hands.

An exerpt from the book.

Laboratory animals also exhibit sex differences in learning under stressful situations. Professor Tracey Shors and her colleagues at Rutgers, Princeton, and Rockefeller University have demonstrated that stress improves learning in males while it impairs learning in females. 14 “Exposure to the stressor had diametrically opposed effects” on learning in females compared with males, Professor Shors has reported. 15 She has also shown that exposure to stress enhances the growth of neural connections in the male hippocampus while it inhibits growth of connections in the female hippocampus. Shors has conclusively demonstrated that the beneficial effect of stress on learning in males depends on prenatal masculinization of the male brain. 16
    No.​

@ReXDrake;

Apologies if this doesn't interest you, but you seem to like having general knowledge so I'd thought I'd mention you just in case you find this stuff interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Nice post.

Had no clue about that amygdala thing.I thought it only governed our fears and reactions to intense experiences. It's a tiny part of the brain but it has a big influence on how we behave.

As I understand it, the threat response and desire for risk has a lot to do with testosterone. It's the most important hormone men have. It makes us more aggressive (in a good way, more driven, bold and determined), helps lose fat, build muscle, ages us better, makes you happier and more confident, betters athletic and sexual performance and a long, long list of other benefits. I think it's necessary for all men to do what they can to raise their testosterone naturally. It'll solve a lot of their smaller problems.

Unfortunately, modern life has caused a severe drop in testosterone levels for men. This pattern won't change anytime soon unless people take it into their own hands.
    It seems to be that misinformation in regards to the differences between the genders is most detrimental when it comes to education.

For example, the author cites an anecdote where a child by the name of Matthew started showing a lack of interest in school in kindergarten. The year before, when he was in preschool, he was well behaved and enjoyed learning. But in kindergarden he started showing behavior issues and neglecting anything the teacher said. The author surmised the issue might be that kindergarten classes nowadays focus heavily on trying to get kids to learn written language. Meaning the alphabet, forming correct sentences, associating small words with pictures etc. The issue is that when it comes to the language centers of the brain boys develop at a much slower rate than girls. Matthew was being bombarded with things he just couldn't understand because his brain hadn't developed that area enough yet. He advised the mom to put him back in preschool for a year, but she refused. Fast forward a year and other doctors but the kid, who is a first grader, on 6 different medications to help his behavioral issues.

Even in cases less extreme where kids aren't diagnosed with anything, often times they are unofficially considered as the 'dumb kids' which does not do anything good for them. All because they weren't taught in accordance to their development.

Girls suffer from the educational model as well, but more in high school and middle school. I haven't read this part in detail yet though.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 05-02-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    No.​

@ReXDrake;

Apologies if this doesn't interest you, but you seem to like having general knowledge so I'd thought I'd mention you just in case you find this stuff interesting.

It seems to be that misinformation in regards to the differences between the genders is most detrimental when it comes to education.

For example, the author cites an anecdote where a child by the name of Matthew started showing a lack of interest in school in kindergarten. The year before, when he was in preschool, he was well behaved and enjoyed learning. But in kindergarden he started showing behavior issues and neglecting anything the teacher said. The author surmised the issue might be that kindergarten classes nowadays focus heavily on trying to get kids to learn written language. Meaning the alphabet, forming correct sentences, associating small words with pictures etc. The issue is that when it comes to the language centers of the brain boys develop at a much slower rate than girls. Matthew was being bombarded with things he just couldn't understand because his brain hadn't developed that area enough yet. He advised the mom to put him back in preschool for a year, but she refused. Fast forward a year and other doctors but the kid, who is a first grader, on 6 different medications to help his behavioral issues.

Even in cases less extreme where kids aren't diagnosed with anything, often times they are unofficially considered as the 'dumb kids' which does not do anything good for them. All because they weren't taught in accordance to their development.

Girls suffer from the educational model as well, but more in high school and middle school. I haven't read this part in detail yet though.
    the education system as a whole is quite a mess. like your notes suggest, it does have a lot to do with these attempts to treat both sexes equally. it continues all the way to university where schooling is pretty much brainwashing children now rather than educating them.

self fulfilling prophecy is a real thing too. i didn't care for sociology when i was younger. my teacher told me i'm really good at it too (even though i could tell i wasn't much better than anyone else). ended up being one of the best students which was a pleasant surprise for me. pretty sure that wouldn't have been the case if she hadn't planted that idea in my head.

it's tricky. i'm genuinely considering homeschooling for when i have kids, but i'm unsure how that'd affect their social development.

Yes, there are actually differences that can really help in the long run if they're paid attention to. As you've noted, there are even scientific studies done only on males and then medical results are blanketed for females as well which can be really harmful as it is not alwas a 1:1 ratio.

There are differences. Not in the height of intelligence or things of that nature but in the way that a brain learns, takes in info, how the body reacts. These differences can create enormous ripples not just throughout a person's life but throughout society as a whole.

I just finished the sections on drugs and sex. It mentions a few anecdotes to get the points across.

One interesting thing mentioned is that the sexual scene amongst younger people (teenagers) has shifted from being female-dominated to male-dominated. By that I mean that a few decades ago it was all about the guy pleasing the girl romantically and that leading up to sex. Now it's becoming more and more common for females feeling pressured or insecure being the stepping stone tosexual relations. This is specifically for the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    the education system as a whole is quite a mess. like your notes suggest, it does have a lot to do with these attempts to treat both sexes equally. it continues all the way to university where schooling is pretty much brainwashing children now rather than educating them.

self fulfilling prophecy is a real thing too. i didn't care for sociology when i was younger. my teacher told me i'm really good at it too (even though i could tell i wasn't much better than anyone else). ended up being one of the best students which was a pleasant surprise for me. pretty sure that wouldn't have been the case if she hadn't planted that idea in my head.

it's tricky. i'm genuinely considering homeschooling for when i have kids, but i'm unsure how that'd affect their social development.
    Since I'll probably be having kids within the next few years, I'm really thinking hard about how to properly educate them as well. I want them to have the social benefits that being in school provides, but I want them to learn the right way based on their gender and individual needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
    Yes, there are actually differences that can really help in the long run if they're paid attention to. As you've noted, there are even scientific studies done only on males and then medical results are blanketed for females as well which can be really harmful as it is not alwas a 1:1 ratio.

There are differences. Not in the height of intelligence or things of that nature but in the way that a brain learns, takes in info, how the body reacts. These differences can create enormous ripples not just throughout a person's life but throughout society as a whole.
    Exactly. It's not so much what each gender is or is not capable of, it's how they learn and develop as well as the why of why they do things.

For example, when it comes to math boys and girls learn differently. It seems like mathematics and spatial thinking is handled by the hippocampus in males, but in the cerebral cortex in females. Therefore math should generally be taught to each gender differently. Males can generally understand math for math's sake, the way it's usually taught. Girls learn math much better if it's connected to real life examples and the like.
    No.​

Quote Originally Posted by DreXel View Post
    Currently reading 'Revenge' by Martina COLE. Stopped till after the exams but, but a thrilling one if you ask me ... not suitable for very young ages though
    What is it about?
    No.​

Since I'll probably be having kids within the next few years, I'm really thinking hard about how to properly educate them as well. I want them to have the social benefits that being in school provides, but I want them to learn the right way based on their gender and individual needs.
    Maybe some super-high-end elite boarding schools in Switzerland

Otherwise, it'll be homeschooling. I think the issue with homeschooling nowadays is most parents don't know how to raise children because we've left it to the education system. So they copy what schools do by drilling information into them all day. Shooting for high scores on tests. I'd lean more to a relaxed, social side of things.

I think the first requirement of good homeschooling is being an excellent role model. Practice what you preach so it has a deeper influence on your children. If you want to instill a love of reading to your children, read a lot of quality books yourself , read to them and have books around the house that children will enjoy and will have good influences on them. As well as those that will give skills that will prove fruitful down the road. Be physically fit, eat well, make them tasty smoothies from a young age that are actually very nutritious, etc. As long as you don't force it on them, but rather just be these things your kids will take on these things. It's like how Alexander the Great wasn't born an excellent military commander, but rather Phillip did everything he could to make it so.

I've also read that nobility used to raise their children by fostering them away to family members or family friends they knew would be a good influence on them. I'd let my kids stay with family members/friends that are great influences for extended periods on occasion. That way they can interact with adults early as well as the other children. That way they're not just stuck with me and mum all the time. Teaching them sales from a young age should also develop their social skills as well. Let them go door-to-door like Buffet did as a kid to sell stuff and engineer that streak into them.

I think homeschooling can be done, you just have to be very deliberate about everything you do.

This excellent short series shows how the greats achieved growth. Following two losers in Da Vinci and van Gogh as well as some others.

What one man can do, another man can do.
    Last edited by Bold; 05-03-2017 at 09:46 AM.