Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is it about?
    it has the same air as 'The adventures of Sherlock Holmes' by Conan Doyle, except that it's far more informal and linguistically easier.
    haven't finished it, and im not really good in narration but here's what the back cover says

"BE SURE YOUR SINS WILL FIND YOU OUT.
    Michael Flynn is untouchable in a world of power, money and violence. He fights for what he wants and he takes it, whatever the cost. He learns the rules of the Life from the best and when his mentor, legendary Face Patrick Costello, is taken out, no one questions that Michael Flynn is his natural successor. For Michael, loyalty - and crime - pay.
    Michael Flynn rises to heights beyond anything the criminal underworld has seen. He owns everyone and he rules his empire with an even but fierce hand. No one would dare challenge him.
    Then the unthinkable happens.
    Perhaps Michael Flynn is not so untouchable after all, and he must learn that ..."

in short, it's a gangster dude who's daughter was dragged into a mess and became a whore, due to his neglect. She ran away from home (or at least she went missing) for as of yet no known reason, and he's searching for her, with a blood lusted fangs.

well, tbh i kinda think that ur tastes aren't for crime novels, so nevermind it anyways

- Men respond to threats differently than women. It seems different chemicals are secreted, though I forget the names. Seems like most studies on the 'flight or fight' response has been done on male animals because scientists assumed that this would not be a gender specific thing and male animals were easier to test of. But recently it's come to light that this is incorrect. Males respond to threat with a feeling of exhilaration, hence they are more risk prone. Women respond with a sense of disgust or uneasiness, hence they are generally more risk averse.
    Interesting. I read an article a while back explaining this and apparently one gene is responsible for this difference and that gene produces more stress hormones. Men and women are capable of fight or flight response but the latter prefers a "friend-or-befriend" response to dangerous situations. They did a test on monkeys and two females ended up grooming each other while the males fought to death.

The tendencies are consistent but men can also respond with a friend-or-befriend mentality and women can also respond in ways that are more risk prone. Like a kick in the dick when being held gunpoint for her purse. Ultimately boils down to chemistry and how much epinephrine, cortisol, norepinephrine, testosterone you're secreting. Males just have that one gene protein that can excrete a lot more than women can.
    Last edited by Loki; 05-03-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Maybe some super-high-end elite boarding schools in Switzerland

Otherwise, it'll be homeschooling. I think the issue with homeschooling nowadays is most parents don't know how to raise children because we've left it to the education system. So they copy what schools do by drilling information into them all day. Shooting for high scores on tests. I'd lean more to a relaxed, social side of things.

I think the first requirement of good homeschooling is being an excellent role model. Practice what you preach so it has a deeper influence on your children. If you want to instill a love of reading to your children, read a lot of quality books yourself , read to them and have books around the house that children will enjoy and will have good influences on them. As well as those that will give skills that will prove fruitful down the road. Be physically fit, eat well, make them tasty smoothies from a young age that are actually very nutritious, etc. As long as you don't force it on them, but rather just be these things your kids will take on these things. It's like how Alexander the Great wasn't born an excellent military commander, but rather Phillip did everything he could to make it so.

I've also read that nobility used to raise their children by fostering them away to family members or family friends they knew would be a good influence on them. I'd let my kids stay with family members/friends that are great influences for extended periods on occasion. That way they can interact with adults early as well as the other children. That way they're not just stuck with me and mum all the time. Teaching them sales from a young age should also develop their social skills as well. Let them go door-to-door like Buffet did as a kid to sell stuff and engineer that streak into them.

I think homeschooling can be done, you just have to be very deliberate about everything you do.

This excellent short series shows how the greats achieved growth. Following two losers in Da Vinci and van Gogh as well as some others.

What one man can do, another man can do.

Homeschooling definitely had its perks when done properly. I think I might just eventually move back to Pakistan. I wouldn't have to worry about homeschooling there because of the system that's in place.

Those videos seem promising. I'll check them out.

Checking in

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    Checking in

Just read some of these post. What do you think?

Just read some of these post. What do you think?
    I needed to prove white he was wrong. When I get more time will give a full read since you deserve my 100% attention

I finished the book. I give it a solid 5/5. It goes into great detail about the differences in how males and females use their brains and its affect on society.

So far the book is really good. I'm only about 20% through and there is already a wealth of information I've come across.

The author brings up a good point in saying lots of people, and especially institutions, treat both genders exactly the same in the name of 'equality' but fail to realize this is harming children. For example, at least one anecdote in this book talked about how a child was wrongly diagnosed with ADD and given medications.

Some things I've learned thus far:

- Girls generally hear better than boys. Sometimes this translates to boys not paying attention in class because they can't hear the teacher as well. Conversely, girls may be uncomfortable at the volume boys are comfortable at. They might feel they are being yelled at or that the teacher shouts.

This is not just "girls and a boy" thing. There are three types of people and that affects how they learn: Viewers, Listeners and Kinestesic (or whatever is in english) The first one is obvious, people learn more via images and reading, I think society in general are more inclined be like this, specially today in the way kids use apps for learning. Listener are also obvious, people who prefer to listen, Idk if it is more inclined to women but I am more definitely not like this in education, I love to listen irl to people's problems but at school lol nope, Kinestesic is when you have to TRY things, move, do something, i.e. Lab experiments, fuck up a project, etc. When I took a test I am balanced in all three with a little preference in kinestesic.

- The collection between the amygdala and cerebral cortex is weaker in males. Which is why males tend not to want to overly talk about their feelings and may even have a harder time describing their feelings.

I honestly don't know if it is a biological thing or not, we have very sensitive men that express a lot but I am more inclined to agree because men with good voices (Freddie Mercury, Elton Jon, George Michael) are gay lol.

- Risk is a big thing. Boys and girls respond very idea to the idea of risk generally. Girls are usually overly cautious. It may be beneficial to teach them to take calculated risks from a young age. Boys are the other way around. What's interesting is that boys seems to need a certain amount of risk in their lives, hence males doing lots of stupid stuff. The way to handle this is to let them do activities that provide a controlled level of risk such as sports, play fighting and so on. It seems like men who didn't engage in activities like this as children or adults end up becoming more violent as time progresses, not less. Without an outlet they just sort of explode. This is a solid point against banning things like dodgeball from schools or not letting your kids roughhouse.

I don't know about this one, I mean I classify perfectly in here but I am pretty much a "strange person" where I live for being too quiet and cautious. Most girls and women here take risks being fucking dumb and stupid. And there are more men who think about their actions than women. Must be a cultural thing.

- Seems like men tend to become better friends after a fight, whereas fights end up often destroying friendships completely for girls. This has been observed across species.

If a woman fights is done forever, yes.

There you go Pops

@Tifa;

Some excerpts from the book like I promised you.

In terms of weight loss, intermittent fasting has shown to be a very powerful way to shed those unwanted pounds. In a study review from 2014, it was shown to cause weight loss of 3-8% over periods of 3-24 weeks. That is a very large amount compared to most weight loss studies. In addition, people also lost 4-7% of their waist circumference during the same duration. Lowering waist circumference means that people lost significant amounts of the harmful belly fat that builds up around your organs and causes disease. Since this diet is extremely safe, easy to comply with, and promotes long-term adherence, it serves as the most effective weight loss strategy around.

VanDerschelden,Michael (2016-09-18). The Scientific Approach to Intermittent Fasting (p. 40). Kindle Edition.
    According to the American College of Cardiology, fasting triggered a 1,300% increase in human growth hormone secretion in women, and an astounding 2,000% increase in men! This statistic alone is a definitive reason to drop what you’re doing and incorporate intermittent fasting into your lifestyle immediately. HGH, commonly known as your fitness hormone, plays a huge role in your health, fitness, and longevity. It actively promotes muscle growth, and even further boosts fat loss by increasing your metabolism. The fact that it simultaneously aids in muscle building and fat loss explains how HGH can help you get lean and lose weight without sacrificing your beneficial muscle mass you’ve worked so hard for.

VanDerschelden,Michael (2016-09-18). The Scientific Approach to Intermittent Fasting (p. 51). Kindle Edition.
    A recent article in the journal Cell Metabolism describes how intermittent fasting promotes neurogenesis of the hippocampus and improves cognitive performance in mice. Intermittent fasting literally produced multi-system regeneration of brain tissue. Immune and brain function significantly improved, lifespan was increased and the risk of inflammatory and metabolic diseases reduced significantly. In the mouse brain, neurons were regenerated, especially in the hippocampus. Together, this improved learning ability, memory and concentration. Researchers followed this study up by performing a human pilot study and found the exact same results on the improvement of brain function in humans.

VanDerschelden,Michael (2016-09-18). The Scientific Approach to Intermittent Fasting (pp. 59-60). Kindle Edition.
    In a study out of The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, Mattson noted that intermittent fasting (IF) and caloric restriction (CR):

“Enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity. Cardiovascular stress adaptation is improved and heart rate variability is increased.”

In addition, Mattson stated that subjects:

“Maintained on an IF regimen exhibit increased resistance of heart and brain cells to ischemic injury in experimental models of myocardial infarction and stroke. The beneficial effects of IF and CR result from at least two mechanisms — reduced oxidative damage and increased cellular stress resistance.”

VanDerschelden,Michael (2016-09-18). The Scientific Approach to Intermittent Fasting (pp. 176-177). Kindle Edition.

"...it was shown to cause weight loss of 3-8% over periods of 3-24 weeks. That is a very large amount compared to most weight loss studies."

Noice. Thank you Pops!

Quote Originally Posted by rubber View Post
    Dammit I deleted that so I could be saved from your rebuttal.

I regret ever giving you the opportunity to be more right about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Masakazu Chiba View Post
    What truth? The fact that you're an annoying dimwit? Most of your posts are cringe. Nothing worse than a cocky asshole who gets proven wrong and lies to save face. The fact that you have a gold bar pretty much exemplifies that rep is worthless. You are the face of awful modern day TMF posters. SpiRo back into whatever cave you crawled out of, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    Just because someone likes dick in their ass doesn't mean they're not your brother.

will put it on my reading list

"Looking nationwide, there are three major demographic disadvantages in American education:

• Race/ ethnicity: being African American or Hispanic, rather than white or Asian, drops your NAEP score by roughly 20 points

• Low household income: being eligible for free school lunches drops your NAEP score by roughly 15 points

• Gender: being a boy, rather than a girl, drops your NAEP score by roughly 15 points"
    "Critics of American education often point out, quite accurately, that the United States spends more money per pupil than most other developed countries and yet accomplishes less. On the international test most widely administered around the world, the United States ranks at #24 in reading, well below countries whose per-pupil spending on education is much lower, such as Estonia (# 11), Poland (# 10), and Finland (# 6). Finland, incidentally, consistently scores very well on these international rankings. What’s special about public education in Finland? Here’s one interesting feature: Children in Finland don’t begin any formal schooling until they are 7 years old."
    "This new reality—that American kids are now at greater risk of anxiety and depression, more likely to engage in delinquent behavior, and more likely to be disengaged from school, compared with kids who have just arrived here from overseas—is true across all age groups. And the older the child—the more time the American kid has been exposed to American culture—the more true it is."
    "Thirty years ago, most elementary schools didn’t expect a 5-or 6-year-old boy to sit still and be quiet for hours at a stretch. Today many do. The result, as child psychiatrist Dr. Elizabeth Roberts has observed, is that “parents and teachers today seem to believe that any boy who wriggles in his seat and willfully defies his teacher’s rules has ADHD.”"
    @Bold; @Zentos;

You guys might find these quotes interesting.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 07-14-2017 at 10:39 PM.

@Bold; @Zentos;

You guys might find these quotes interesting.
    I've known most of these. It certainly does give insight to certain issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    I've known most of these. It certainly does give insight to certain issues.

It really does. Another thing it mentions is how certain medications, such as adderall, can actually shrink the motivation centers of the brain. Causing people to become less motivated than they should be when taken off the drugs.

It really does. Another thing it mentions is how certain medications, such as adderall, can actually shrink the motivation centers of the brain. Causing people to become less motivated than they should be when taken off the drugs.
    There's a whole lot of unresolved issues out there that have been pushed this far by the widespread ignorance of the whole nation. Not only in the USA of course, but it's really painfully obvious there.

Love reading shit like this. I'm all for homeschooling now personally. It's better to make a success out of yourself and then teach what you know directly to your kids.

I don't plan on having a TV either. At worst, I'll have a Laptop for them to use with YouTube subscriptions to high quality content (like Charisma on Command ) that has significant education value. As long as I keep mainstream garbage to a minimum, that should still largely work out.

I intend on having a library of books that kids will enjoy and a few that can challenge them if it intrigues them. too

I think being an excellent role model as well as having all the good habits you're trying to instill in your kids will do massive things for your child's development. Especially if you still remain a fun, loving parent. Being directly involved in raising your child in all areas of their life seems to be the best decision you can make.

i'm indifferent towards home schooling. it can be incredibly rewarding and can foster self-motivation and the freedom to pursue topics of personal interests long term. i've also heard positive success stories. but it can be a delicate task teaching your own child which heavily depends on the parent's motivation and discipline

it doesn't offer the same structure traditional schooling and its difficult to quantify their performance. this is especially important during this school-age stages where competency is such an important virtue to achieve and is a major source of the child's self esteem. failure to achieve this psychosocial stage according to erikson can lead to chronic inferiority. it can be a major boon tho if they successfully get through this stage during home schooling because they'll be poised to find their identity and role in life entering into the adolescent stage. this is where the self-motivation and the freedom to pursue topics of personal interest become incredibly rewarding for the home schooled child

i personally feel a lot more confident putting them in a system with structure and with teachers who are more qualified than me. of course, i wouldn't completely leave it on their hands. part of achieving competency is reinforcing it at home and at school. i'm grateful to be surrounded by teachers who are caring and have taught me valuable lessons in life. i'll do my part at home as a parent and the teacher's can do their part on their end. plus the social aspect of school is often missed and can be incredibly beneficial to the child's well-being

The latest book I'm reading: "The Secret History of the American Empire"

@Nikamara;

You'll probably like this, it's by John Perkins.