Muslim artist fired for including religious references in X-Men comics

https://www.rt.com/viral/384550-marv...on-references/
    @Makenzye;

This is what you were talking about, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.rt.com/viral/384550-marv...on-references/
    @Makenzye;

This is what you were talking about, right?
    Yessir. Willow Wilson went off on him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Yessir. Willow Wilson went off on him, too.
    So tell me more about this. Is this justified from MArvel or hypocritical?

Damn, that article missed the part where Syad made the comment along the lines of, "Disney runs Marvel, and when I upset the jews I got fired. Go figure."

- - - Updated - - -

So tell me more about this. Is this justified from MArvel or hypocritical?
    Marvel had no clue what went through their censors. So given the potential interpretation of the content (especially given the author and most likely intent) combined with the need to look like they do their job, they fired the guy. Chances are they would have fired him anyway. Which I sort of find surprising. Marvel has bizarre policies about their artists sometimes.

Well, it was stupid of him to include a verse like that. Without context it's not exactly one of those verses Jews or Christians would look at fondly.

I'm just wondering if Marvel is being hypocritical. Meaning if they have similar things from other religions they let slide.

Since I don't really know the big specifics of the passage, I can only give an overview and what seems to make it controversial. It, from what I understand, says that people shouldn't accept the authority or advice of Christians/Jewish peoples and this has been bandied about with a Christian governor in Indonesia's upcoming election (maybe past election now). Some I guess are taking it to extreme measures or something there (again I'm not too sure on what's going on and it seems everybody has an opinion on the matter) and taking it as Christian/Jews are bad people in general.

It seems some Muslims are pretty upset by this interpretation as I guess there's no real easy interpretation for the passage and many have tried. I guess it really boils down to the word "wali," as Willow Wilson has described it. She described wali as being pretty much anybody as a form of authority like a parent or guardian or lawyer or whatever, so it might have a looser or more casual interpretation but it seems people are trying to use it as a justification for Muslims to simply not elect or even take in the words/advice of non-Muslims.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it was stupid of him to include a verse like that. Without context it's not exactly one of those verses Jews or Christians would look at fondly.

I'm just wondering if Marvel is being hypocritical. Meaning if they have similar things from other religions they let slide.
    Marvel has always sort of tried to remove sneaky anti-whatever stuff that gets put into comics from time to time. They actually actively want some of their characters to be staunch religious types and generally like to be seen as a more observant company with a finger on the pulse of the world itself so as to not portray things in an incorrect or unfairly negative light, which they don't always accomplish.

This actually happens a little bit more often than people think: A few years ago one of the authors basically shoved the Tea Party in a protest and straight up portrayed them as racist, which Marvel had to reissue comics for just like they did here. But I don't remember if they removed the author or not. They probably gave him a slap on the wrist as his excuse was it wasn't the Tea Party, just sort of inspired by them in some ways.
    Last edited by Makenzye; 04-13-2017 at 02:19 AM.

ah.. this shit from my country

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post
    ah.. this shit from my country
    You're in Indonesia?

- - - Updated - - -

All I know is David Gabriel probably thought nothing on Earth could pull sight away from his blunder in the comics world.

Marvel is having one hell of a week.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Pimp of Pimps; What are your thoughts on the passage? Many Muslims pointed out how the Prophet had many non-Muslim friends and advisors, and Willow made the claim he had a Jewish friend/physician, so the extreme interpretation is completely unfounded. What do you think it's meant to say?

Since I don't really know the big specifics of the passage, I can only give an overview and what seems to make it controversial. It, from what I understand, says that people shouldn't accept the authority or advice of Christians/Jewish peoples and this has been bandied about with a Christian governor in Indonesia's upcoming election (maybe past election now). Some I guess are taking it to extreme measures or something there (again I'm not too sure on what's going on and it seems everybody has an opinion on the matter) and taking it as Christian/Jews are bad people in general.

It seems some Muslims are pretty upset by this interpretation as I guess there's no real easy interpretation for the passage and many have tried. I guess it really boils down to the word "wali," as Willow Wilson has described it. She described wali as being pretty much anybody as a form of authority like a parent or guardian or lawyer or whatever, so it might have a looser or more casual interpretation but it seems people are trying to use it as a justification for Muslims to simply not elect or even take in the words/advice of non-Muslims.
    The context of the verse is that the Muslim had just moved to Medina after being persecuted for so long in Mecca. They established a government and a constitution, living alongside people of different faiths. However, a party from the Christians and Jews living there with them wanted the Muslims out and so the verse is warning about them. It was revealed during a time of political unrest and upheaval and advising the Muslims to be wary of allying with non-Muslims over Muslims in this specific context. The term wali refers to a type of friendship where one is the protector or guardian over another. a parent would be the wali of their child, for example.

Nothing wrong with being friends with non-Muslims, as other verses signify. The Prophet himself was extremely close to his uncle, who was a pagan. There's no doubt though that 5:51 is a verse that's very easy to misinterpret without context. Not sure why he had to use that verse specifically.

Marvel has always sort of tried to remove sneaky anti-whatever stuff that gets put into comics from time to time. They actually actively want some of their characters to be staunch religious types and generally like to be seen as a more observant company with a finger on the pulse of the world itself so as to not portray things in an incorrect or unfairly negative light, which they don't always accomplish.

Well, so long as they aren't being hypocritical it makes sense they'd want to remove the reference. It is strange they made this so public though.

You're in Indonesia?
    as much as i hate it, yep lol

It's not about the religious references. it's just a racist/promoting hate to a governor which is from minority. The corrupt government doesn't want a good guy in the government since he make it really hard for them to take the country's money

and it's actually not about religion. it's just politicians using religions as tools for their interest. Sadly some people didn't even notice that it's just politicians using their religion as tools

The context of the verse is that the Muslim had just moved to Medina after being persecuted for so long in Mecca. They established a government and a constitution, living alongside people of different faiths. However, a party from the Christians and Jews living there with them wanted the Muslims out and so the verse is warning about them. It was revealed during a time of political unrest and upheaval and advising the Muslims to be wary of allying with non-Muslims over Muslims in this specific context. The term wali refers to a type of friendship where one is the protector or guardian over another. a parent would be the wali of their child, for example.

Nothing wrong with being friends with non-Muslims, as other verses signify. The Prophet himself was extremely close to his uncle, who was a pagan. There's no doubt though that 5:51 is a verse that's very easy to misinterpret without context. Not sure why he had to use that verse specifically.

Well, so long as they aren't being hypocritical it makes sense they'd want to remove the reference. It is strange they made this so public though.
    I figure it's just like how some people will pick and elevate/misinterpret verses in other holy texts to justify their own prejudices. As I read it, I figured it was meant for Muslims to be wary of those who might try to stray them from their path of faith and not so much hate/disassociate themselves.

It's probably because it was made public possibly before Marvel knew about it and the company felt like they had to respond since it was becoming such a big thing. Most things which are controversial would probably be ignored if it weren't so public.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post
    as much as i hate it, yep lol

It's not about the religious references. it's just a racist/promoting hate to a governor which is from minority. The corrupt government doesn't want a good guy in the government since he make it really hard for them to take the country's money

and it's actually not about religion. it's just politicians using religions as tools for their interest. Sadly some people didn't even notice that it's just politicians using their religion as tools
    Well, it's always good/bad to know that politicians are the same wherever they come from.

Not sure why he had to use that verse specifically.
    it's just one of the stuffs. they even use verses from other religions just for this election.

heck, they even invite zakir naik here just to say not to choose the candidate