Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are you sexist towards characters?

Do you have a sexist bias towards characters, say, if both a female and male character had the same qualities you'd definitely lean towards one over the other?

For example, if a character has the big eater characteristic, I'd prefer the female character over the male more often than not because I feel like it's super annoying and overused if it's a male character with that but strangely ... endearing on a female character.

Cause you want her to eat something else.

"Don't count the days, make the days count"

I wouldn't call that sexist.

how unbecoming of you pimps, to have such dirty thoughts

It's not really a matter of yes or no, just like other similar questions. Rather, it's how sexist are you? I believe it's a spectrum, which can obviously go from as good as zero, all the way up to hey there sugar tits.

In regard to fictional characters, I see myself as barely sexist(if any at all) as there are plenty of female characters that I consider good, and there aren't really any that had me thinking damn, if only it were a guy.
    It's a whole different matter that writers/artists often butcher their female cast, but that is the fault of the author. As G.R.R.M. answered, when questioned how his femalse characters are so good, "You know, I've always considered women to be people." Unfortunately, not everyone gets it.
    Last edited by Zentos; 03-20-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really a matter of yes or no, just like other similar questions. Rather, it's how sexist are you? I believe it's a spectrum, which can obviously go from as good as zero, all the way up to hey there sugar tits.

In regard to fictional characters, I see myself as barely sexist(if any at all) as there are plenty of female characters that I consider good, and there aren't really any that had me thinking damn, if only it were a guy.
    It's a whole different matter that writers/artists often butcher their female cast, but that is the fault of the author. As G.R.R.M. answered, when questioned how his femalse characters are so good, "You know, I always considered women to be people too." Unfortunately, not everyone gets it.
    Would you like to see a she-Zenou?

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Don Dedede View Post
    Would you like to see a she-Zenou?

Zutto zutto zutto zutto Makenzye's Avatar
    I don't think I am. Or at least if I have those qualities I don't recognize them in myself.

I'm sort of curious now if anybody has recognized those qualities in me.
    Not everyone who works hard is rewarded! However, all those who succeed have worked hard!

What about a male Riboku

So the Zenou category is your limit for parity

Quote Originally Posted by Dai Don Dedede View Post
    What about a male Riboku

So the Zenou category is your limit for parity

saying "hey there sugar tits" is the epitome of sexist?

Nah, but you got the point.

you got a point there, sugar tits

Nah, but you got the point.

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post
    you got a point there, sugar tits
    You into man boobs?

Probably. I'm dropping an anime if guys act like girls all the time. Like you can't force me to watch shit like Earth Defense. Or in Kuroko where they take each other on coffee dates...what guys do that? A basketball team no less? They're fucking jocks and I doubt Japanese jocks are any different from jocks in different countries. I'd be fine if they were confirmed gay, which they're not.

And I have a distaste towards political correctness. Like Gintama, the girls are coddled in a way that they don't take the brunt of the sexually physical jokes. I'm not saying Gintama is shit for this, I'm just saying I would've preferred equality in a series that women boast has it. It's okay for Gin and Madao to screw each other in the butt but it's not fair for any of the main girls to get anything up theirs? Even the body bag Sacchan and Kagura don't have underwear stretching gags like the leader of the fucking country gets. Guess I'll never get societal convention. Probably why when it concerns body gags the women don't make me laugh anymore. They're so sterile compared to the men's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    And I have a distaste towards political correctness. Like Gintama, the girls are coddled in a way that they don't take the brunt of the sexually physical jokes. I'm not saying Gintama is shit for this, I'm just saying I would've preferred equality in a series that women boast has it. It's okay for Gin and Madao to screw each other in the butt but it's not fair for any of the main girls to get anything up theirs? Even the body bag Sacchan and Kagura don't have underwear stretching gags like the leader of the fucking country gets. Guess I'll never get societal convention. Probably why when it concerns body gags the women don't make me laugh anymore. They're so sterile compared to the men's.
    hmm, interesting point, while Sorachi doesn't really shy away from women telling dirty jokes from what I've remember, you're right that the gags only apply to the guys

I imagine it'd be fanservice or disservice in some cases where the women engage in such things, dunno if Sorachi would want that but Gintama's not a big female fanservice thing like OP or FT. Or it'd be downright criminal in some cases, like with Kagura.

Perhaps it'd just be outright distasteful, since we're rigged that way like you've touched upon, it'd make me feel uncomfortable to see skiing underwear gag on females for example.

Yeah I know. Rape jokes are only funny when it's men involved, because if you do it to women it's tasteless. Societal conventions but what can I do. But it's not like Gintama is a bad manga. Just that where the men's jokes escalate as the series progresses, the women's jokes stay the same. Kagura still has booger, fart, and poop jokes but it can only go so far when the Shogun is having wedgie jokes and dick skiing jokes.

I think Gintama could pull off the underwear wedgie with the women. Not Kagura of course, she's underage lol.

No i pretty much pray for good female characters. I kinda dont like the female asexual archetype or a random crush on a jerk trope Also hate the feminism vibe but it can work if done right like Katara. I can't think of good female character because it's so rare but that was the reason I was so interested in claymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    I think you partially summed up one of my (admittedly few) big problems with Gintama. It doesn't even have to be something sexually related, Otae can treat Gintoki like shit, even when he doesn't deserve it, and she gets off scott-free most of the time, while in most cases if any of the guys tried something like that they'd immediately be punished. Sacchan is the only exception to the rule, and even then Sorachi felt the need to validate it by making her a masochist.

Granted, this sort of annoyance pops up in a lot of media, (off the top of my head, Persona 4 has an entire sequence dedicated to making the guys miserable when they've done nothing wrong, just for the sake of "comedy") but that doesn't stop it from being incredibly irksome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaang View Post
    No i pretty much pray for good female characters. I kinda dont like the female asexual archetype or a random crush on a jerk trope Also hate the feminism vibe but it can work if done right like Katara. I can't think of good female character because it's so rare but that was the reason I was so interested in claymore.
    Try out Seirei no Moribito. Balsa is a strong female character who can stand on her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    I think you partially summed up one of my (admittedly few) big problems with Gintama. It doesn't even have to be something sexually related, Otae can treat Gintoki like shit, even when he doesn't deserve it, and she gets off scott-free most of the time, while in most cases if any of the guys tried something like that they'd immediately be punished. Sacchan is the only exception to the rule, and even then Sorachi felt the need to validate it by making her a masochist.

Granted, this sort of annoyance pops up in a lot of media, (off the top of my head, Persona 4 has an entire sequence dedicated to making the guys miserable when they've done nothing wrong, just for the sake of "comedy") but that doesn't stop it from being incredibly irksome.
    I think it stems from real world values, where women can get away with certain things because most of them are less physically gifted than men (just the truth, not being sexist or anything). But in series where they're (according to the genderbender arc at least) more than competent and strong enough to tango with men, why aren't they given the same treatment, you know. It's not like Gintama treats their women as sex symbols.