Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @Void;

I did not forget about it, but that's what I'm saying. When he's a killer 1 chapter and hippie the next, that's not a warning. The only display of humanity he had beforehand was when warning women and children to escape, but he was just a kid at the time.

I'm not saying it was poorly written. People can break and make a 180° change in real life as well. What I'm saying is that it took me by surprise.

Edit: Alright, I'm done. You are right, he fought the group of warriors and the spear guy, but it's still...meh.

I have to say I'm just not enjoying the second part as much as I did the first. After all, I was after a battle manga. There are only so many series that I found entertaining that weren't based on fighting, namely Death Note and Shokugeki.

Maybe if I approached it with another mindset. I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but people were comparing it to Berserk and Kingdom. With the intro that we've been given, it's only natural that I was expecting an action packed series. Had I been warned beforehand, I might've find it more enjoyable. This was I felt..tricked, I guess?

I'll probably keep reading it, but I might drop it as well.
    Last edited by Zentos; 03-13-2017 at 08:22 PM.

you could still take the action, Thorkell is there after all and these are Vikings, it's just that you're refusing to accept more time for character development over your dose of action

I on the other hand, like the second half of the series more

give Drifters a try next

@Void;

I can't see what's to develop. He's turned into a hippie and won't fight unless it is to protect, but even then, he will only disarm/incapacitate the enemy.
    There's no depth to that attitude. Killing Floki would save so many people, himself and his party included, but he won't do it. His stubbornness just put his friends in danger, and if Garm was any smarter he'd kill Thorfinn's party to invoke his rage. If he killed him, none of this would've happened.

You don't get to play house after you've been a killer for more than a decade. More people will die, and already have back at the farm and elsewhere, because he's being like this. Your inner struggles don't mean jack shit if others have to die just so you could feel better. Romanticizing cowardice is just as bad as doing the same to killing. Just like most things in life, both the black and the white are bad, and a middle ground needs to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Void;

I can't see what's to develop. He's turned into a hippie and won't fight unless it is to protect, but even then, he will only disarm/incapacitate the enemy.
    There's no depth to that attitude. Killing Floki would save so many people, himself and his party included, but he won't do it. His stubbornness just put his friends in danger, and if Garm was any smarter he'd kill Thorfinn's party to invoke his rage. If he killed him, none of this would've happened.

You don't get to play house after you've been a killer for more than a decade. More people will die, and already have back at the farm and elsewhere, because he's being like this. Your inner struggles don't mean jack shit if others have to die just so you could feel better. Romanticizing cowardice is just as bad as doing the same to killing. Just like most things in life, both the black and the white are bad, and a middle ground needs to be found.
    that exactly why I said you're one of those people

He's a murderer that's killed just for the sake of getting closer to killing his original target. Well Askeladd's gone now so what next? He's a broken man who has nothing.

No depth? You justify killing him again and where would you draw the line? It'll turn into an endless cycle, kinda like what happened to Light.

That's why he's trying to find a way to atone, you don't wash blood with blood. And you're simplifying things way too much, some things cannot be solved through immediate violence. Killing is not a long term option, you kill Floki and there's gonna be someone out for revenge or another guy pops up. This is all I'm gonna say on this.

@Void;

Different times call for different measures. Just the fact that he's not a rapist or kills for fun makes him a lot more humane than the others. What will he do when someone who is a lot more violent than Garm comes across his family?
    And I don't justify his killings. At least not the ones he did for the sake of some revenge. I justify the means to protect his loved ones when they are being chased by murderers.

@Void;

Drifters chapter 33. It's short, so I won't make a separate log.

It seems you knew what strikes home for me.

The beginning was slow once again. In fact, I didn't like being kept in the dark for 12 chapters before we finally got a hint at what's going in.

The latest revelation is that the Black King is trying to civilize the monsters. Talk about a plot twist.

So far it's been action packed, Toyohysa is and Oda and Yoichi aren't losing to him either.
    There's a mission on both sides, I wonder how it will turn out and if the Black king can reign in his army.

@Void;

Drifters chapter 33. It's short, so I won't make a separate log.

It seems you knew what strikes home for me.

The beginning was slow once again. In fact, I didn't like being kept in the dark for 12 chapters before we finally got a hint at what's going in.

The latest revelation is that the Black King is trying to civilize the monsters. Talk about a plot twist.

So far it's been action packed, Toyohysa is and Oda and Yoichi aren't losing to him either.
    There's a mission on both sides, I wonder how it will turn out and if the Black king can reign in his army.

what do you mean by that?

Toyohisa batshit insane though

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post

what do you mean by that?

Toyohisa batshit insane though
    It wasn't until chapter 12 that the concept of drifters and offscourings was explained.

Before that all we had was Toyohisa going from place to place and slashing things, while adding a whole lot of characters and fights(the invasion of the Black king on the northern wall). No plot or coherency, just like..bursts of action. In chapter 12 things start get wrapped into a story with a direction and that's where it gets good.

On chapter 54, should be done with it in a moment.

Alright, done with chapter 64. They are in a really shitty position in this war.
    Last edited by Zentos; 03-14-2017 at 09:39 PM.

It wasn't until chapter 12 that the concept of drifters and offscourings was explained.

Before that all we had was Toyohisa going from place to place and slashing things, while adding a whole lot of characters and fights(the invasion of the Black king on the northern wall). No plot or coherency, just like..bursts of action. In chapter 12 things start get wrapped into a story with a direction and that's where it gets good.

On chapter 54, should be done with it in a moment.

Alright, done with chapter 64. They are in a really shitty position in this war.
    oh okay

overall thoughts?

@Void;

I like it. It's action packed and has a lot of comic relief. It's not completely brute forced since we see characters like Oda pull strategical and political moves. It's a shame it's so short and comes out so rarely.

Have you got anything to add?

@Void;

I like it. It's action packed and has a lot of comic relief. It's not completely brute forced since we see characters like Oda pull strategical and political moves. It's a shame it's so short and comes out so rarely.

Have you got anything to add?
    what do you think of the roster of historical figures? You like them or you think they're lacking?

what do you think of the roster of historical figures? You like them or you think they're lacking?
    I didn't really pay any heed to it, but I should've since they are the center pieces.

They are lacking. There's not a lot of them and they seem to be grouped. You have the ancient era, medieval europe, medival-modern japan and some odd balls.
    He shouldn't have made all of them so powerful and important. It would've for better plot if any notable character was a historical figure.
    And why do certain have magical powers, while others have..a sword?
    The idea is fun and innovative, he should've used it's strengths more.

I didn't really pay any heed to it, but I should've since they are the center pieces.

They are lacking. There's not a lot of them and they seem to be grouped. You have the ancient era, medieval europe, medival-modern japan and some odd balls.
    He shouldn't have made all of them so powerful and important. It would've for better plot if any notable character was a historical figure.
    And why do certain have magical powers, while others have..a sword?
    The idea is fun and innovative, he should've used it's strengths more.
    well, can't have too much of a good thing, though I meant lacking was as in any you would want to see?

That's their purpose though, they're either great warriors, strategists or leaders. It'd be too saturated if everyone was a Drifter.

Ends/Offscourings seem to be the main ones with powers, though Abe no Seimei has "his" since his job/legacy dealt with those kinds of things.

@Void;

There's a whole lot of renowned conquerors like Ghengis Khan for example. Maybe some political or diplomatic figures like the founding father of america.

Not too many, I agree, but at the moment we are reduced to like 10.

It's still odd, they didn't have them in their previous life. Although looking at how strong Toyohisa, he might as well have gotten a power boost. Jean died to fire and got fire power. He got killed by weapons so now he..wields them better?

How's the Promised Neverland or Vagabond? I need more.

dissing my vinland saga

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    dissing my vinland saga

No, only Thorfinn for being a pussy.

@Void;

There's a whole lot of renowned conquerors like Ghengis Khan for example. Maybe some political or diplomatic figures like the founding father of america.

Not too many, I agree, but at the moment we are reduced to like 10.

It's still odd, they didn't have them in their previous life. Although looking at how strong Toyohisa, he might as well have gotten a power boost. Jean died to fire and got fire power. He got killed by weapons so now he..wields them better?

How's the Promised Neverland or Vagabond? I need more.
    unless they made Genghis a good guy, he's a serial rapist that I don't think will mesh well with the current cast

Well, we got Hilter but Oda wasn't a warrior, he was a warlord so there's that. Rasputin and Anastasia were also political figures.

Well, pretty much only the Ends gain power and that's by Easy tempting them an escape from their regretful and disdainful deaths. Toyohisa pretty much almost went out on his own terms, with Naomasa running away the only thing that pissed him off but didn't push him over the edge.

Never tried the first one but Vagabond is a mixed bag for you. Plenty of action early on but it turns into a more philosophical driven story later. You tried rape story Berserk yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    dissing my vinland saga

you don't even read it anymore

No, only Thorfinn for being a pussy.
    Thorfinn is BEST FUGGIN MC

EVER

you don't even read it anymore
    I'm not gonna read one chapter every two months, ok

when they stack up a little I'll be back on it

@Void;

Never said they had to be good. Add some on both sides. But with this snail's pace it's fine if we get chapters.

I don't mind philosophical plots. What I mind is a beast turning into a pussy. And I don't agree with his philosophy, to make matters worse.

I'm lazy so I copied this from my chat with Crispy:

As far as anime goes I've watched hellsing, death note, hxh, big 3, fma, ft, attack on titan, kabaneri and tokyo ghoul, maybe some that I've forgotten. But I've dropped anime and am mostly reading manga. Read the ones mentioned earlier as well as gantz, berserk, claymore, d.gray man, akame ga kill, blue exorcist, assassination classroom, world trigger, terra formars, toriko and breaker, to name a few. At the moment I'm reading OP, FT, black clover, my hero academy, shokugeki, sds, opm, tokyo ghoul and kingdom. Think that's all.
    @Crispinianus;

I'd like his change if it was handled differently and if his philosophy made sense.

I'm lazy so I copied this from my chat with Crispy:

As far as anime goes I've watched hellsing, death note, hxh, big 3, fma, ft, attack on titan, kabaneri and tokyo ghoul, maybe some that I've forgotten. But I've dropped anime and am mostly reading manga. Read the ones mentioned earlier as well as gantz, berserk, claymore, d.gray man, akame ga kill, blue exorcist, assassination classroom, world trigger, terra formars, toriko and breaker, to name a few. At the moment I'm reading OP, FT, black clover, my hero academy, shokugeki, sds, opm, tokyo ghoul and kingdom. Think that's all.
    Pretty sure he stalked all of that already though

@Crispinianus;

I'd like his change if it was handled differently and if his philosophy made sense.