Thread: What if...

What if...

I've been thinking about something recently.

Imagine two supercontinents on a terrestrial planet in an outer galaxy. The two landmasses are completely separated from echother.

Then we'll have two scenarios.

In the first scenario, their was an ancient land bridge that closed off hundreds of thousand of years ago. Not before the ancestors of a modern intelligent species crossed said land bridge. The bridge closed off due to rising sea levels and the two groups were completely separated.

In the second scenario they're was no land bridge, but by fantastic coincidence multicellular life appeared on both landmasses around the same time.

Assume in both scenarios that Evolution through Natural Selection occurs like it would on Earth and that Plate Tectonics aren't a factor, besides this one land bridge closing, they're are no shifting of the worlds landmasses.

Now that the stage is set, I think there are some interesting questions we can talk about regarding society, evolution, human nature, etc.

Some food for though.

1. Do you think that in the first scenario, both species of intelligent life were able to thrive after being separated. Is intelligence a major factor in determining an alpha species of a area? Would both species build societies in similar ways? By that I mean, social classes, economies, armies, writing, science? In the second scenario, what are the chances that both landmasses have a dominant intelligent species?

2. If both groups became the masters of their environment, would both groups eventually find a way to meet echother? Is that inevitable? Do you think they would both come to the same basic structures regarding society, etc? Would they go to war, and for what reasons?

3. Would both societies create religion? Does it make you question the accuracy of religion once you realize that both continents religions would be different in their specifics at the very least, whilst their basic understanding of the natural world would similar? How accurate is this last statement?

4. Is science the basic final step in a societies growth? If it was, both groups would theoretically find out the same basic laws governing the universe? Would one society never even try?

I know there are tons of questions and ideas here and probably a number of logical gaps or misunderstandings, but still, this seemed to be an interesting way to discuss a variety of issues regarding different topics.

1)
    First scenario: Both species should be able to thive in each continents, given that they share similar condition. If one continent was desertlike and the other one luxuriant, then the group that ended up on the desertlike continent would likely perish. I think intelligence is the determining factor for a specie to dominate, as it requires intelligence to stop such growth. Society, however, should turn out different in both scenarios.
    Second Scenario: I think both masses have an equal chance to devellop an intelligent specie. However, they most likely wouln't appear at the same time. Being that they most likely will end up with different body types, imagine what would humanity be like without opposing thumbs.

2) At one point, either one or both group will be able to meet eachother, I think it inevitable. However I'm pretty sure it always ends in a bloodbath.

3) They would most likely both form religion, different ones. I always question the validity of religion. Religion comes from a place of uncertainty. You don't even have to take a look at those scenario for that. the many different religions that were created by humanity and contradict eachother.

4) Science is the final step and they both should come up with similar concepts. Both societies would come up with science as I think it's the step after religion, it comes from the natural desire of an intelligent specie to understand the world around it.

The success of each group would come down to a combination of factors, even if they were both the same species. Geography, natural resources, agriculture, weather, all play a part in shaping societies and culture. And in more ways than can be predictable.