View Poll Results: Gay marriage: yay or nay?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 93.75%
  • No

1 6.25%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage

Quote Originally Posted by Alex D. Boss View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes.

Let them marry. They're also humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Boss View Post

I don't agree with homosexuality but I also can't dictate what a government or people that don't adhere to the same beliefs as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    The definition of homophobia is

a) Having a dislike of homosexuals
    b) Being prejudiced against homosexuals

You can like homosexuals and think they shouldn't be married, likewise you can be brought up with a belief that the ceremony of marriage is something that can only take place between a man and a woman and that without there being both a man and a woman present marriage by definition cant exist. That doesnt mean youre prejudiced though, you could for instance be in favour of a civil communion between gay couples that offer all the benefits that a marriage would.
    You can't get married because of my beliefs.. How is that a valid argument against marriage equality.

The same stance was used to justify racism not too long ago.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/5096/frankysig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    I don't agree with homosexuality but I also can't dictate what a government or people that don't adhere to the same beliefs as I do.
    Why not? Are you saying that if you had it your way homosexual relationships and intercourse would be prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    Why not? Are you saying that if you had it your way homosexual relationships and intercourse would be prohibited?

For people who claim to be Muslim, Christian and so on, yes.

If you claim to adhere to a set of beliefs, stick with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasendori View Post
    You can't get married because of my beliefs.. How is that a valid argument against marriage equality.

The same stance was used to justify racism not too long ago.
    Separate but equal

Social liberalism will win out in the end, that is the way the tides are shifting. Gay marriage was but the first step, next finds marijuana legalization. Only a matter of time

then lolis for everyone

For people who claim to be Muslim, Christian and so on, yes.

If you claim to adhere to a set of beliefs, stick with them.
    So youre for the imposition of a set of religious principles onto everyone, whether they believe in that religion or not. Sorry, but I see that as extremely bigoted and oppressive.

Its fine to personally be against homosexuality, but to say that if you could, youd outright stop or punish others for living their life in a certain way is very concerning

So youre for the imposition of a set of religious principles onto everyone, whether they believe in that religion or not. Sorry, but I see that as extremely bigoted and oppressive.

Its fine to personally be against homosexuality, but to say that if you could, youd outright stop or punish others for living their life in a certain way is very concerning
    He clearly said "for religious people"

I said the exact opposite...

That's not what he said, Rex.

"It doesn’t matter how many times you get knocked down. All that matters is you get up one more time than you were knocked down."

Is it not also a tenant in many religions and moral codes to do unto others?

Not actually sure about Islam but ithe Golden Rule is probably paraphrased somewhere.

But we'll just talk on Christianity.

I don't really see how both tenants can be respected to their fullness in regards to law and social structure.

Id assume most people wish to live their lives as freely as possible, being able to marry whomever they want. Likewise I assume religious people would like to within their own lives and adhere to religious principles.

By dictating how other people live their lives, are you not breaking the golden rule? I'd assume you wouldn't want a government to not disallow long held religious practices performed with the sanctity of the state?

How can religious people reconcile this? The only answer I see is to say that you wouldn't want to principle "live and let live" to apply to yourselves? That in itself might solve this conundrum but I find it hard to believe. Especially when it itself is a major tenant of some religions.

How can a religious person, especially a Christian since I know for a fact that the Golden Rule and the disapproval of homosexuality appear in the holy texts.

If both ideas are fundamental to the text in the sense they are explicit rules/guidelines/laws/etc. how do reconcile that both ideas can't coexist? Surely an omniscient entity like God wouldn't allow logical inconsistencies such as this?

The implication is that if you are following the golden rule and prevent someone from doing so and so, you would want someone to stop you were you doing the same thing.

And anyways, the golden rule has a prerequisite. Actual belief and servitude in your faith.

There's no contradiction.

The implication is that if you are following the golden rule and prevent someone from doing so and so, you would want someone to stop you were you doing the same thing.

And anyways, the golden rule has a prerequisite. Actual belief and servitude in your faith.

There's no contradiction.
    Why are you against gay marriage though, Pops? Is it just cause the Quran said so?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Chair View Post
    Why are you against gay marriage though, Pops? Is it just cause the Quran said so?

People can do whatever they want. But if they claim to adhere to a set of beliefs or enter into an agreement, they should hold themselves to it.

And yes, I'm against homsoexuality because my religion tells me so.

That's extremely disrespectful to non religious people. The Golden Rule doesn't only apply to people who are following it because of their religion.

Atheists and Agnostics still follow the Golden Rule, we just don't have a supposed all knowing entity telling us to do so.

If anything following the ideal in our cases is stronger since we're following not because we are told to do so, but because we know it's the right thing to do.

Also, on your other post. How can you have so much trust in something?

And you obviously do not follow your religion in detail. I assume you live in a civilized society. Why are you not slaughtering non believers that you see? If you truly followed the tenants of your religion, you'd be doing so. It explicitly says so, multiple times, in your holy texts. Why do you get to cherry pick certain teachings of your religion, whilst ignoring others?

Quote Originally Posted by McCree View Post
    That's extremely disrespectful to non religious people. The Golden Rule doesn't only apply to people who are following it because of their religion.

Atheists and Agnostics still follow the Golden Rule, we just don't have a supposed all knowing entity telling us to do so.

If anything following the ideal in our cases is stronger since we're following not because we are told to do so, but because we know it's the right thing to do.

Also, on your other post. How can you have so much trust in something?

And you obviously do not follow your religion in detail. I assume you live in a civilized society. Why are you not slaughtering non believers that you see? If you truly followed the tenants of your religion, you'd be doing so. It explicitly says so, multiple times, in your holy texts. Why do you get to cherry pick certain teachings of your religion, whilst ignoring others?
    You're right, but I never said that. Don't forget it was you that decided to present things from a Christian angle, which is why I used the word faith instead of just belief. You can't try and limit the conversation to Christianity then try to expand it when I respond in kind. Point is, there is no logical contradiction here. Person A can still follow the golden rule and infringe on a supposed right of person B, because person A would want himself to be treated that way were he doing the same thing as person B. Though, again, I've never called for people to be held to the same standard as my beliefs. That's not my job.

You're very lacking when it comes to theological knowledge and epistemology. Doing something because you are told and doing something because you think it's the right thing to do are not always mutually exclusive, I do everything I do because I think it's right too. Nor does my faith command me to do what you claim it does (it literally states the opposite). The latter point is especially disturbing because it's that sort of oblivious thinking that leads to unwarranted hate against others. Dehumanize them so that oppressing them becomes justified. If you don't have sufficient knowledge and insight about a subject, don't speak authoritatively about it.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 03-08-2017 at 05:04 AM.

I said the exact opposite...
    That's still unfair to other religious folk, who should be able to observe their faith however they wish. You might hold to your religion very closely, but theres nothing saying other people have to.