Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feminism

good idea gone wrong overall

exceptions making the good idea still remain relevant

Men and women are different mentally and physically. This is true regardless of if you're talking about society now or 10,000years ago.

"Don't count the days, make the days count"

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a discussion on two entire groups rather than two individuals so that's not a comparable example.

If men and women were equal, one could function without the other.
    I don't see what makes the example ungeneralizable. Men and women will be good at different things, with some characteristics that are more prominent in men than in women and vice versa.

I see no logical link in the two parts of your sentence. Since neither can live without the other the necessity of complementarity in no way implies unequality (it doesn't really implies the opposite either, though it's more in favor of equality)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    If you're going to use an appeal to nature, you have to justify why gender dynamics from when we hunted with spears are important to adhere to today.
    Because the way our instincts affects us hasn't seen much change in the past few thousands of years. After all, what the two sexes find attractive varies, our desires differ, our brains are even different.

very capable female leaders for instance.

“With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! Whether it's impossible or laughable, this is the path that ALL great men walk! If there's a wall in our way, we'll break it down! If there's no path, we'll make it with our own hands! The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!Everlasting Combination: Gurren Lagann! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! Believe in you who believes in yourself!! Isn't your Drill the one that will pierce the heavens, the earth and through to tomorrow?”
    -- Kamina

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Because the way our instincts affects us hasn't seen much change in the past few thousands of years. After all, what the two sexes find attractive varies, our desires differ, our brains are even different.

very capable female leaders for instance.
    But you haven't illustrated why your appeal to nature is important. Only why we follow them (also, you haven't substantiated your claim.)

We'd still be drawing cave paintings if norms weren't challenged on the basis of "it's not natural". Demonstrably, our intellect makes us malleable creatures and we can operate above our instincts (for better or worse). If a woman is a more competent leader than a man, is it fair that she gets the shaft just because nobody takes her seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    Men and women are different mentally and physically. This is true regardless of if you're talking about society now or 10,000years ago.
    Woman are pretty good at multitasking while men have a pretty lineal way of thinking.

Either way, this movement has a good intention but the way it is taken and some who defend it curse it IMO.

We, women have been getting many "privileges" (that we deserve to be honest) in the late years such as voting, going to school, have a career, have a work, get a good pay, to be considered in important positions etc. There are some places that still are a bit sexist but is more in the work field that anything (How can I allow a woman be my boss?) Natalie Portman before getting the Black Swan role was asked that if she wanted to participate in that movie she needed to do a romantic comedy, with Ashton Kutcher. She was ok with it until she found out Ashton got payed the double as her. The double for the solo reason he was a man. Works in Hollywood can be pretty sexist in which it doesn't matter if you have more career and are more talented/considered a oscar run up, etc, if you are a woman you get lower pay. Then there are things like the "Black book" but I don't think is important here.

These are the things that I think is bullshit and that is good to fight for our right when we actually have facts that support we are good at something and just for our gender we are not allowed to achieve our goal.

Nevertheless, I don't understand what other things they are fighting. Abortion? From 1969 to mid 1970 there was a huge number of abortions performed and that number have been decreasing because of the easy access to anticonceptives which is a good way to deal with this problem with sexual education.

A better "body image"? and "accept yourself"? In the 80's an anabell or strawberry shortcake was the ideal doll, all filled with cuteness and so on. Now we have pretty sexualized barbie dolls, brats, monster high?, ever after dolls with high heels, short dresses, super skinny waists, heavy make up, big boobs. The idea to erase this is amazing and I totally support it, our kids should be kids and grow according to the age. This doesn't apply only to girls tho, boys who have easy access to very violent games, guns, violence and to be stronger is an idea that should be eradicated. Discipline and a good education should take care of this.

Women not being seen as a sexual object is another thing I agree. Hard to actually to fight this considering that most of the people who are feminism tend to have slutty tendencies, I will take the "free the nipple" movement as an example. It is a biological thing that men can't think properly when they see boobs, now imagine if they see a girl walking topless... seriously, you are provoking and you know it. Some men might get a hard on, others might approach you and attack, the best educated will leave but do you actually need to walk topless? what does this prove? what do you achieve to walk topless? It is absurd. Breastfeeding is different tho, is a natural act but women tend to cover (at leas here) when they are in public places. The whole "you should be allowed to breastfeed naked" is absurd (again personal opinion)

Pubic hair, etc is too look more attractive, men are more attractive to that so? I don't see the problem with this. You can look like a gorilla if you want to but you can't force the male population to like you for that because your self esteem will go down.

Either way I can go on and continue with the topics that "bother" but I'll go with some truly privileges women have that men don't.

- It is seen bad when a men is being raped by a woman
    - If a woman is a mother has more privileges and people has more sympathy for her
    - If a woman attack a man tends to be considered "self defense" even if it isn't
    - Men continue to have the pressure to be the pilar of the house and the one that needs to bring money
    - A woman can abort but it is seen bad for a guy to not want to marry the woman that gets pregnant

etc.

I think this generation of feminism overexagerate and doesn't appreciate the progression we have made as a society.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh to put a cherry on my post, in Mexico there are three systems of hospitals.

Private (paid)
    Social (paid by taxes and you have access if you work)
    Popular (free for everyone)

Ofc private is first world class service but lately there have been cases that when a woman gives birth the doctors are performing something in their vagina so they won't be able to be moms again, I guess the DIU, WITHOUT ASKING HER.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is savage.
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
    My Blog

More life to the Boss Alex D. Boss's Avatar
    This essay is too strong for me

Yeah, it's in the Cafe somewhere I think. topics like this need to be repeated once in awhile though imo.

What do you think of Susan b. Anthony?

"Cersei is as gentle as King Maegor, as selfless as Aegon the Unworthy, as wise as Mad Aerys. She never forgets a slight, real or imagined. She takes caution for cowardice and dissent for defiance. And she is greedy. Greedy for power, for honor, for love."

Regardless, it is about having the right for woman to break out of man's world.
    sigpic8970_3.gif

I will Take Them All!

Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    B

A

S

E

D

Susan B(ased) Anthony

More life to the Boss Alex D. Boss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kong View Post
    Susan B(ased) Anthony

Feminism is a contagious mental disorder. In the early stages it's crucial to give a strong dose of reason, logic and statistics to the afflicted victims before the special snowflake delusions kick in. The later stages Feminism are sadly incurable and the illness spreads quicker than wildfire through the medium of liberal media.

Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar
    All the true feminist wants is equal opportunity, equal pay, equal rights, and equal respect.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

if modern feminists focused their efforts into improving conditions for women in third world countries where they are not treated equal, their time would be of better use.

Slayer destroys feminism
    sigpic8970_3.gif

I will Take Them All!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikamara View Post
    All the true feminist wants is equal opportunity, equal pay, equal rights, and equal respect.
    Can you really say that when everyone seems to disagree on what feminism is? It's not a centralized movement.

"Don't count the days, make the days count"

Can you really say that when everyone seems to disagree on what feminism is? It's not a centralized movement.
    That's the problem with feminism. Have you ever seen a group of women together? They can't agree on anything.

I cringe a little tbh when I see members who are vocally anti feminist and have no opinions on any other political issue though. It really makes me suspect they've been scorned by women.

it's a movement so it has it's good and it's bad, one thing I don't like is when people think the term has monopoly over gender equality though.