View Poll Results: How would you rate the Skypiea arc

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10/10

    16 66.67%
  • 9/10

    2 8.33%
  • 8/10

    1 4.17%
  • 7/10

    1 4.17%
  • 6/10

    1 4.17%
  • 5/10

    0 0%
  • 4/10

    1 4.17%
  • 3/10

    0 0%
  • 2/10

    0 0%
  • 1/10

    2 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    How? Baroque Works where instrumental in Crocs plans of creating a civil war in Alabasta, its not like they where just randomly just dropped into the arc. If anything they where a lot more relevant than the priests, considering the priests didnt really even have a purpose except to keep out trespasses out. They where just kinda there

    Honestly most of the character writing in Skypeia was done in such a half hearted lazy way, theres no way it is objectively the best arc. The only memorable/relevant character they made from the arc was Enel and maybe Wiper which says a lot considering hes on the freaking moon now.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing happened for the majority of the first part. We got to see BB first encounter the SHs but that was it, the rest of it we just saw the shs trying to navigate safely up the jump stream which took lord knows how many chapters
    The meeting with Blackbeard and the buildup to the knockout stream was all part of Jaya. Skypeia starts when the touch down on Sky Island.

    Then they got to skypiea and it took far too long to establish Enel as the main antagonist, we got a lot of stuff no one really cares about in how Gran Fall lost to Enel and became the God of Skypiea. Build up was far to slow here
    Enel was established as the main antagonist pretty quickly. One of the first things we see on Skypeia is a man running from the four priests only to get struck down from lightning, that's scene establishes scene as the main villain. The entire beginning of the arc is then largely spent building him up further, having the armed guard enforce his law and then the attempted murder of Skypeia. His lack of physical presence was to convey his rather godly presence, he doesn't have can wipe people out from across the island. We also don't really go into any detail on how Enel actually conquered the island from Gan Fall, so I'm not sure what that complaint is about.

    When they finally got to the Skypiea jungle, we got 4 severly underwhelming opponents in the priests they all had the same observation haki gimmick and that was about it. I bet most people cant even remember the name of one of let alone all 4. I remember Gedatsu and thats about it.
    I wouldn't say they were severly underwhelming opponents. Satori challenged Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp in a three on one match and was giving them a good fight. Shura served as a hype tool for the reject dial but was a pretty dominating presence beforehand, completely overwhelming Chopper and defeating Gan Fall. Ohm actually defeated Chopper and had a rather short but sweet fight against Zoro in the iron cage.

    The mantra was a shared theme between all of them, but their gimmicks were in their trials and the dials that they used. Satori used orbs and an impact dial, Shura used strings and heat dial combo with his lance and bird, Gedatsu used swamp clouds and the jet dial, and Ohm used the iron cloud dial and his dog Holy. They each had their own unique combat styles, designs, and characteristics to set them apart from one each other. They didn't even all use their mantra in the same way; Satori was using it to dodge everything that came his way, Ohm was using it to see his opponents through walls like a radar using the obstuctions to his advantage, Shura was using it as a hunter to track down his prey, and Gedatsu barely used his at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    > Nope, I just dont like it when author tries really hard to the paint an arc as a cool adventure to the point where it looks forced. Dressrosa and Fishman Island felt the same way
    Not sure what you're talking about here, Dressrosa and Fishman Island weren't really even adventure arcs. The most adventure we got during Fishman Island was during the voyage downward to the sea, the place itself wasn't well explored. Dressrosa was mostly action oriented with Luffy jumping straight into a fighting tournament and the birdcage coming up not too long afterwards.

    >I dont understand how spending like 5 chapters on a jet stream is world building and how hearing some tired tale for the next 10 chapters about how some scrub like Gran Fall lost to Enel is doing a good job setting the establishment. We get it theyre on an island in the sky skip to the part where theyre actually doing something interesting.
    The jet stream stuff was Jaya and they were only on it for half a chapter. There was never a 10 chapter stretch about Gan Fall losing to Enel, we get a very brief flashback of a defeated Gan Fall being thrown out of the palace, the rest was some quick exposition with the actual details surrounding it spaced throughout the length of the arc.

    > The priests weren't minor arc villains, they where the four main enemies after Enel. If you try to tell me the priests where done better than Baraque Works ill laugh in your face.
    Why do they have to be better than Baroque Works to be good villains? They were still better than most villain groups up until that point. They were still better than the Buggy Pirates, Black Cats, Arlong Pirates, Whiskey Peak, Wapol Pirates, Bellamy Pirates, Foxy Pirates, Gorgon Sisters, Fishman Pirates, etc.

    As far as BW goes, the Priests were still better than anyone not named Nico Robin, Daz Bones, Bon Clay, or Galdino. I don't look at Kumadori, Blueno, Kalifa, or Fukurou and think of them as ahead of the Priests either. There's not some jarring contrast in quality between the actual characters of the two groups here.

    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How? Baroque Works where instrumental in Crocs plans of creating a civil war in Alabasta, its not like they where just randomly just dropped into the arc. If anything they where a lot more relevant than the priests, considering the priests didnt really even have a purpose except to keep out trespasses out. They where just kinda there
    Their role was to give a face to God's army and provide resistance against the main characters so it isn't just an army of nameless goons. To say they didn't have a role in the arc is like saying the CP9 didn't have a role in Enies Lobby, they are the obstacle or the heroes to overcome. You can say they weren't effective at their job, but unlike Baroque Works and CP9 they actually succeeded in taking down at least one of the Strawhats as well as a few named characters. Chopper was out for the arc once Ohm was done with him.

    Honestly most of the character writing in Skypeia was done in such a half hearted lazy way, theres no way it is objectively the best arc. The only memorable/relevant character they made from the arc was Enel and maybe Wiper which says a lot considering hes on the freaking moon now.
    Noland and Calgara?

    How does Enel being on the moon say a lot about Skypeia's characterization? You're establishing a link out of nothing. If you're talking about relevance then Enel discovered a damn civilization and ancient paintings possibly featuring the ancient weapons while on the moon, which was a major discovery that added more for the world building of One Piece then any other villain we've seen. Not sure what relevance has to do with characterization anyways, the most garbage written characters can be the most relevant to a story and the most quality characters can be a one and done. It's really meaningless to harp on such a thing and ultimately it's a criticism that can apply to basically every arc in One Piece. Wiper was easily one of the best arc support characters Oda has produced and Gan Fall was better than the usual.

  3. #23
    - LAZERHAWK - Cake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    10,063
    I skipped this arc, found it too boring.
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

    Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

  4. #24
    GP why do you always do this man

    You write like a 1000 word response because you know im too lazy to read/respond to you, be more concise please it isnt fair when you do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The meeting with Blackbeard and the buildup to the knockout stream was all part of Jaya. Skypeia starts when the touch down on Sky Island.

    Okay

    Enel was established as the main antagonist pretty quickly. One of the first things we see on Skypeia is a man running from the four priests only to get struck down from lightning, that's scene establishes scene as the main villain. The entire beginning of the arc is then largely spent building him up further, having the armed guard enforce his law and then the attempted murder of Skypeia. His lack of physical presence was to convey his rather godly presence, he doesn't have can wipe people out from across the island. We also don't really go into any detail on how Enel actually conquered the island from Gan Fall, so I'm not sure what that complaint is about.

    When they first touched down on Skypeia a large part of the opening arc was spent healing the man who got struck by lightning, introducing the female lead of the arc, and then listening to her sop story about how tyrannical Enel is. Then we literally never see her again once they leave until Skypeia is about to be destroyed, then we got a lot of information about all sorts of stuff like dials that are barely even used again outside and the cherry on the cake was how gan fall lost to enel. It was a very slow and laboured starting to an arc. Fact. It wasnt done at all like Alabasta where BW and Croc was built up properly across the space of a good few islands, and guess what? Croc didnt need the lightning gimmick to be feared, from the moment he was introduced as a Shikibukai to where he orders a hit on mr prince when he pretends to have completed his mission we got an idea of just how powerful and sinister a character like croc was.

    I wouldn't say they were severly underwhelming opponents. Satori challenged Luffy, Sanji, and Usopp in a three on one match and was giving them a good fight. Shura served as a hype tool for the reject dial but was a pretty dominating presence beforehand, completely overwhelming Chopper and defeating Gan Fall. Ohm actually defeated Chopper and had a rather short but sweet fight against Zoro in the iron cage.


    The mantra was a shared theme between all of them, but their gimmicks were in their trials and the dials that they used. Satori used orbs and an impact dial, Shura used strings and heat dial combo with his lance and bird, Gedatsu used swamp clouds and the jet dial, and Ohm used the iron cloud dial and his dog Holy. They each had their own unique combat styles, designs, and characteristics to set them apart from one each other. They didn't even all use their mantra in the same way; Satori was using it to dodge everything that came his way, Ohm was using it to see his opponents through walls like a radar using the obstuctions to his advantage, Shura was using it as a hunter to track down his prey, and Gedatsu barely used his at all.

    They where severly underwhelming opponents. The moment that Luffy figured out the trick to beating Satori was making him lose his concentration, he was literally dispatched with the simplest of ease. It wasnt a proper fight at all like something like Kaku vs. Zoro was where it was a high intensity deathmatch, the whole thing felt farcical.

    It doesnt matter how they fought using mantra, the fight with shura lasted barely any time at all and was just wiper using a death dial, the fight with Ohm and his dog was kinda cool but Oda didnt even decide to give the fight the proper respect it deserved and just introduced Enel before it reached its proper conclusion.




    Not sure what you're talking about here, Dressrosa and Fishman Island weren't really even adventure arcs. The most adventure we got during Fishman Island was during the voyage downward to the sea, the place itself wasn't well explored. Dressrosa was mostly action oriented with Luffy jumping straight into a fighting tournament and the birdcage coming up not too long afterwards.

    Dressrosa had the freaking dwarves in it, it introduced an entirely new civilisation and race and the many different levels of DR created a very adventurey feeling to it. The arrival and leaving of FI took up a good chunk of the arc as well so dont just casually dismiss it. Besides here we got an expansion on the mermaids/fishmen. It was pretty adventurey.

    The jet stream stuff was Jaya and they were only on it for half a chapter. There was never a 10 chapter stretch about Gan Fall losing to Enel, we get a very brief flashback of a defeated Gan Fall being thrown out of the palace, the rest was some quick exposition with the actual details surrounding it spaced throughout the length of the arc.

    Hyperbole to stress a point.

    Why do they have to be better than Baroque Works to be good villains? They were still better than most villain groups up until that point. They were still better than the Buggy Pirates, Black Cats, Arlong Pirates, Whiskey Peak, Wapol Pirates, Bellamy Pirates, Foxy Pirates, Gorgon Sisters, Fishman Pirates, etc.

    What about the villains they werent better than?

    BWs, CP9, Doflas Crew, PH crew, etc. They where very plain and generic arc villains, they were just as unmemorable as many youve just listed

    As far as BW goes, the Priests were still better than anyone not named Nico Robin, Daz Bones, Bon Clay, or Galdino. I don't look at Kumadori, Blueno, Kalifa, or Fukurou and think of them as ahead of the Priests either. There's not some jarring contrast in quality between the actual characters of the two groups here.


    So basically the vast majority of baroque works then? Chopper and Usopp had one of their best ever fights against Mr. 4. Blueno kidnapped Robin, and the only reason you dont rate the others is because their opponents weren't the M3 fight whereas in Skypeia the priests where.

    Their role was to give a face to God's army and provide resistance against the main characters so it isn't just an army of nameless goons. To say they didn't have a role in the arc is like saying the CP9 didn't have a role in Enies Lobby, they are the obstacle or the heroes to overcome. You can say they weren't effective at their job, but unlike Baroque Works and CP9 they actually succeeded in taking down at least one of the Strawhats as well as a few named characters. Chopper was out for the arc once Ohm was done with him.

    You mean for the conflict that was barely even touched and only lightly scratched upon. I dont even remember the name of Wipers tribe for goodness sake, it was all completely eclipsed by Luffy vs Enel


    Noland and Calgara?

    How does Enel being on the moon say a lot about Skypeia's characterization? You're establishing a link out of nothing. If you're talking about relevance then Enel discovered a damn civilization and ancient paintings possibly featuring the ancient weapons while on the moon, which was a major discovery that added more for the world building of One Piece then any other villain we've seen. Not sure what relevance has to do with characterization anyways, the most garbage written characters can be the most relevant to a story and the most quality characters can be a one and done. It's really meaningless to harp on such a thing and ultimately it's a criticism that can apply to basically every arc in One Piece. Wiper was easily one of the best arc support characters Oda has produced and Gan Fall was better than the usual.

    Forgot all about Calgara til you literally just mentioned him. Noland wasnt a prominent character and only appeared at the end and beginning, wasnt prominent enough in the arc.

    Whats your point exactly? Enels time on the moon has been completely irrelevant so far since he hasnt emerged back in the story and im unsure if he even will. I will happily take back what i said when that time comes. Again whats your point, if youre calling this a 10/10 arc everything should be near perfect. The characterisation was mediocre at best (ill humor you) because the only real good characters who where prominent in the plot of the arc were Wiper and Enel
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I skipped this arc, found it too boring.
    Case in point, the arc wasnt even that enjoyable at all you can keep banging on about how its some great literary masterpiece but the fact of the matter is, it wasnt even very entertaining. You can be as snobbish as you like with grand themes, and say 'you just dont understand how brilliant this arc is because youre not looking at the bigger picture. Go reread Luffy vs. Lucci or something lol'. The fact of the matter is, a manga is meant to entertain you and skypeia did a very shoddy job at that and was poorly executed as an arc
    Last edited by White; 01-16-2017 at 04:37 AM.

  5. #25
    Easily in my top three favorite arcs.

    10/10. Can't rate it any lower than that.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When they first touched down on Skypeia a large part of the opening arc was spent healing the man who got struck by lightning
    What are you talking about? They never healed that guy at all, he got zapped by the lightning bolt to establish Enel and that's the last we saw of him.

    introducing the female lead of the arc, and then listening to her sop story about how tyrannical Enel is.
    She wasn't the female lead, she was a minor supporting character. That big lengthy introduction you're speaking of lasted from chapter 239-244 and it was used to establish the environment, villains, and culture of the island. That's a mere 6 chapters out of a 66 chapter arc, this isn't some big lengthy ordeal that drags through half of the arc and very little of it is spent on actual drama with Conis.

    She didn't have a sob story about Enel, she merely broke down and apologized to the Strawhat crew for selling them out, this scene lasted a fifth of a chapter.

    Then we literally never see her again once they leave until Skypeia is about to be destroyed, then we got a lot of information about all sorts of stuff like dials that are barely even used again outside and the cherry on the cake was how gan fall lost to enel.
    We do see her again, she arrives in the forest later on with her father to try giving the Strawhats an escape route, it doesn't work but that's where she learns about Enel's plan from one of the God's militia and she plays an active role in saving the Sky Island.

    Gan Fall never got a long winded story about his loss to Enel, I'm not sure where you're pulling this from. If this was such a big dragged out scene then explain to me how Enel took over the island from him. You can't because the manga never went into detail on it, all we were told is that Enel came to Skypeia and conquered it, brief exposition that ate up no meaningful time.

    It was a very slow and laboured starting to an arc. Fact. It wasnt done at all like Alabasta where BW and Croc was built up properly across the space of a good few islands, and guess what?
    It actually established the plot and got into the action against the villains quicker than either Alabasta or Water 7, that's objective going by chapter number.

    Croc didnt need the lightning gimmick to be feared, from the moment he was introduced as a Shikibukai to where he orders a hit on mr prince when he pretends to have completed his mission we got an idea of just how powerful and sinister a character like croc was.
    What kind of criticism is this? Crocodile didn't need lightning to be feared? Well Enel didn't need a Schichibukai title and several arcs of buildup to be feared. Different villains have different methods of establishing their threat level and power to the audience, for Enel he chose to convey the fear of god by giving him a sort of all knowing and all encompassing presence over the island. You're the only one I've seen try to downplay this, even people who don't like the arc at least admit to Enel feeling like an overwhelming and unstoppable force.

    They where severly underwhelming opponents. The moment that Luffy figured out the trick to beating Satori was making him lose his concentration, he was literally dispatched with the simplest of ease. It wasnt a proper fight at all like something like Kaku vs. Zoro was where it was a high intensity deathmatch, the whole thing felt farcical.
    He figured out the trick after a lengthy battle where Satori was clowning the whole crew, he was the introductory villain, he wasn't meant to be a grueling death match where the crew was pushed to their limits, the battle took a lighter tone to it. Zoro was forced to evolve and adapt in order to overcome the opponents he faced in the arc, developing the 36 and 108 pound cannons, and Ohm managed to defeat one of the Strawhats and put him out of commission for the arc which neither BW or CP9 managed. I'm not claiming these were the best fights in the series but they weren't bad fights and the Priests did have presence this arc.

    It doesnt matter how they fought using mantra, the fight with shura lasted barely any time at all and was just wiper using a death dial, the fight with Ohm and his dog was kinda cool but Oda didnt even decide to give the fight the proper respect it deserved and just introduced Enel before it reached its proper conclusion.
    Agreed, Shura got the shaft after a strong introduction. However, he overwhelmed Chopper with ease and defeated Gan Fall, giving the duo a crushing defeat. He showed himself a good and powerful presence during the time he was around. Enel wasn't introduced during the fight with Ohm, we saw him long beforehand before the whole island death match even started and he played a very active and hands on role throughout the whole arc.

    Dressrosa had the freaking dwarves in it, it introduced an entirely new civilisation and race and the many different levels of DR created a very adventurey feeling to it. The arrival and leaving of FI took up a good chunk of the arc as well so dont just casually dismiss it. Besides here we got an expansion on the mermaids/fishmen. It was pretty adventurey.
    Introducing a new race doesn't make it an adventure arc. There was very little actual exploration in the Dressrosa arc, Luffy jumped into a fighting tournament then Doflamingo turned things into his birdcage game-show shortly right after the tournament finished. Fishman Island had adventure elements but wasn't an adventure arc overall, he let that take a backseat to just moving the pieces on the board. I don't feel the island itself was a well explored or developed area, not nearly on the level of Skypeia.

    Hyperbole to stress a point.
    You didn't have a point, you're making up problems where there are none. You're inflating a few pages of dialogue or half a chapter of travel into a lengthy extended ordeal that dragged on and bogged down the arc and then claiming it as an objective look at the arc. There's nothing objective about it, if I said Zoro vs Mr. 1 was a boring fight because it dragged for 20 chapters then that's not me using hyperbole to make a valid critique, that's me inventing a nonexistent problem for the hell of it.

    What about the villains they werent better than?

    BWs, CP9, Doflas Crew, PH crew, etc. They where very plain and generic arc villains, they were just as unmemorable as many youve just listed
    Did you miss the part where I directly compared them to members of the BW and CP9. As an overall organization they might not hold up quite as strongly but as individual characters they weren't really worse than those crews you just listed. Jora, Mr. 4, Machvice, Kumadori, Fukurou, Kalifa, Lao G, Gladius, Dellinger Trebol, Pica... what makes these characters better than the Priests? The PH crew? You mean Monet, Brownbeard, and the Yeti-Cool Brothers? What was so special about them? As far as individual members go, I don't really see them as worse than what other arcs have provided. The Priests didn't get the luxury of having multiple arc buildup where they can serve as the primary threat, working with what they got, they did alright.

    So basically the vast majority of baroque works then? Chopper and Usopp had one of their best ever fights against Mr. 4. Blueno kidnapped Robin, and the only reason you dont rate the others is because their opponents weren't the M3 fight whereas in Skypeia the priests where.
    Blueno kidnapped Robin, Ohm knocked out Chopper, Shura wrecked the Going Merry, Yuma provided Robin's only true one on one fight... they all have their certain merits they bring to the table. As characters I'd say the Priests probably had more going for them than Blueno did, he was a rather one note assassin. Mr. 4 wasn't a good character, he was a good fight. Fact of the matter is, you put these priests on any other of these teams and they're not going to stand out as some jarring contrast of quality, they could easily fit into any of these other groups fairly well.

    Their ultimate role is to provide an obstacle for the main cast to overcome, being a roadblock that impedes them from their goal. That's the role of every arc villain and every arc villain's henchman, it doesn't make any sense to say they didn't have a role. They serve as the face to Gods army so it isn't just a bunch of nameless goats running around to get swept under the rug.

    You mean for the conflict that was barely even touched and only lightly scratched upon. I dont even remember the name of Wipers tribe for goodness sake, it was all completely eclipsed by Luffy vs Enel
    What the hell or you talking about? This conflict was the primary driving force behind the entire arc and was fleshed out more than basically every other conflict in the entire series. It got story books, a preceding arc, a flashback, and five different perspectives all touching upon this conflict that you claim was only "lightly scratched upon". Luffy vs Enel eclipsed the conflict? Luffy vs Enel was the climax of the conflict you baboon, it wasn't a separated event.

    Forgot all about Calgara til you literally just mentioned him. Noland wasnt a prominent character and only appeared at the end and beginning, wasnt prominent enough in the arc.
    Your poor memory isn't the fault of the arc. Noland wasn't a prominent character? He's literally what fueled this entire arc. How do you remember Noland but forget Calgara? All you've demonstrated is that you're in no position to be given out objective looks at this arc. You make a claim that the Shandians conflict was lightly touched upon then in the next statement you claim you forgot Wiper's big motivational driving force that was referenced throughout the arc.

    You can say he's not prominent but that flashback was all he needed to become 30x the character that Blueno or Mr. 4 ever were.

    Whats your point exactly? Enels time on the moon has been completely irrelevant so far since he hasnt emerged back in the story and im unsure if he even will. I will happily take back what i said when that time comes. Again whats your point, if youre calling this a 10/10 arc everything should be near perfect.
    Enel's time on the moon expanded the world building and lore of the series to a colossal degree. We now know that space civilizations are a thing in One Piece and the origin of the sky people. What does current relevance even matter towards the effectiveness of a villain, Enel doesn't magically become a better character just because he shows up again. The fact you're only caring about current relevance and impact when discussing the worth of a character, instead of the actual characters themselves, just shows a really shallow view towards the series.

    The characterisation was mediocre at best (ill humor you) because the only real good characters who where prominent in the plot of the arc were Wiper and Enel
    You've done nothing to actually defend this stance, if your goal is to humor me then there has to be some actual meat to the argument for me to address. You're entire argument here is that they're boring in lame because you say so, with your vague and fuzzy recollection of the arc.

    Gan Fall is a lame character and weak characterized because? Explain to me what makes him a worse supporting protagonist then Genzo, Dalton, Pell, Chaka, Kohza, Toto, Paulie, Iceburg, Brownbeard, etc.; he's on the higher end of the scale there when it comes to the supporting cast. Right now it sounds like you're just trying to find flaws for the sake of finding flaws, but have no real justification on why they are flaws or how other arcs did it better. In that entire write up the only real argument I've seen from you is that the henchmen had better fights in Alabasta and Enies Lobby.

    Case in point, the arc wasnt even that enjoyable at all you can keep banging on about how its some great literary masterpiece but the fact of the matter is, it wasnt even very entertaining.
    First off, Cake isn't really in a position to make overall claims on an arc she claims to have skipped.

    Second off, this is looking quite subjective for someone who claimed to be taking an objective look at the arc.

    Third off, you've done nothing but spout inaccuracies, hyperbole, and unsubstantiated claims. You've clearly demonstrated that you have no idea what you're talking about here.

    You can be as snobbish as you like with grand themes, and say 'you just dont understand how brilliant this arc is because youre not looking at the bigger picture. Go reread Luffy vs. Lucci or something lol'.
    Lol, did you forget how you entered the thread, White?

    "Skypiea is probably the most overrated arc in the series, its good but it has nothing on Alabasta or even Arlong park. Only adventure preaching hipsters would tell you otherwise."

    The Strawman fallacy would be put to better use if you weren't the one who entered the thread calling out other people for their opinions. I'm simply defending my standpoint and pointing out some errors in your argument. List where in the thread I acted like a snobby art-critic saying the genius was too great for you to comprehend and that you should stick to EL.

    The fact of the matter is, a manga is meant to entertain you and skypeia did a very shoddy job at that and was poorly executed as an arc
    Skypeia did a shoddy job at entertaining me? I would disagree with that.

    White's Objectivity 101, say random critiques about the arc without backing them up, use opinion of someone who skipped the arc as confirmation bias that the arc was bad.
    Last edited by Great Potato; 01-16-2017 at 07:41 AM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are you talking about? They never healed that guy at all, he got zapped by the lightning bolt to establish Enel and that's the last we saw of him.



    She wasn't the female lead, she was a minor supporting character. That big lengthy introduction you're speaking of lasted from chapter 239-244 and it was used to establish the environment, villains, and culture of the island. That's a mere 6 chapters out of a 66 chapter arc, this isn't some big lengthy ordeal that drags through half of the arc and very little of it is spent on actual drama with Conis.

    She didn't have a sob story about Enel, she merely broke down and apologized to the Strawhat crew for selling them out, this scene lasted a fifth of a chapter.



    We do see her again, she arrives in the forest later on with her father to try giving the Strawhats an escape route, it doesn't work but that's where she learns about Enel's plan from one of the God's militia and she plays an active role in saving the Sky Island.

    Gan Fall never got a long winded story about his loss to Enel, I'm not sure where you're pulling this from. If this was such a big dragged out scene then explain to me how Enel took over the island from him. You can't because the manga never went into detail on it, all we were told is that Enel came to Skypeia and conquered it, brief exposition that ate up no meaningful time.



    It actually established the plot and got into the action against the villains quicker than either Alabasta or Water 7, that's objective going by chapter number.



    What kind of criticism is this? Crocodile didn't need lightning to be feared? Well Enel didn't need a Schichibukai title and several arcs of buildup to be feared. Different villains have different methods of establishing their threat level and power to the audience, for Enel he chose to convey the fear of god by giving him a sort of all knowing and all encompassing presence over the island. You're the only one I've seen try to downplay this, even people who don't like the arc at least admit to Enel feeling like an overwhelming and unstoppable force.



    He figured out the trick after a lengthy battle where Satori was clowning the whole crew, he was the introductory villain, he wasn't meant to be a grueling death match where the crew was pushed to their limits, the battle took a lighter tone to it. Zoro was forced to evolve and adapt in order to overcome the opponents he faced in the arc, developing the 36 and 108 pound cannons, and Ohm managed to defeat one of the Strawhats and put him out of commission for the arc which neither BW or CP9 managed. I'm not claiming these were the best fights in the series but they weren't bad fights and the Priests did have presence this arc.



    Agreed, Shura got the shaft after a strong introduction. However, he overwhelmed Chopper with ease and defeated Gan Fall, giving the duo a crushing defeat. He showed himself a good and powerful presence during the time he was around. Enel wasn't introduced during the fight with Ohm, we saw him long beforehand before the whole island death match even started and he played a very active and hands on role throughout the whole arc.



    Introducing a new race doesn't make it an adventure arc. There was very little actual exploration in the Dressrosa arc, Luffy jumped into a fighting tournament then Doflamingo turned things into his birdcage game-show shortly right after the tournament finished. Fishman Island had adventure elements but wasn't an adventure arc overall, he let that take a backseat to just moving the pieces on the board. I don't feel the island itself was a well explored or developed area, not nearly on the level of Skypeia.



    You didn't have a point, you're making up problems where there are none. You're inflating a few pages of dialogue or half a chapter of travel into a lengthy extended ordeal that dragged on and bogged down the arc and then claiming it as an objective look at the arc. There's nothing objective about it, if I said Zoro vs Mr. 1 was a boring fight because it dragged for 20 chapters then that's not me using hyperbole to make a valid critique, that's me inventing a nonexistent problem for the hell of it.



    Did you miss the part where I directly compared them to members of the BW and CP9. As an overall organization they might not hold up quite as strongly but as individual characters they weren't really worse than those crews you just listed. Jora, Mr. 4, Machvice, Kumadori, Fukurou, Kalifa, Lao G, Gladius, Dellinger Trebol, Pica... what makes these characters better than the Priests? The PH crew? You mean Monet, Brownbeard, and the Yeti-Cool Brothers? What was so special about them? As far as individual members go, I don't really see them as worse than what other arcs have provided. The Priests didn't get the luxury of having multiple arc buildup where they can serve as the primary threat, working with what they got, they did alright.



    Blueno kidnapped Robin, Ohm knocked out Chopper, Shura wrecked the Going Merry, Yuma provided Robin's only true one on one fight... they all have their certain merits they bring to the table. As characters I'd say the Priests probably had more going for them than Blueno did, he was a rather one note assassin. Mr. 4 wasn't a good character, he was a good fight. Fact of the matter is, you put these priests on any other of these teams and they're not going to stand out as some jarring contrast of quality, they could easily fit into any of these other groups fairly well.

    Their ultimate role is to provide an obstacle for the main cast to overcome, being a roadblock that impedes them from their goal. That's the role of every arc villain and every arc villain's henchman, it doesn't make any sense to say they didn't have a role. They serve as the face to Gods army so it isn't just a bunch of nameless goats running around to get swept under the rug.



    What the hell or you talking about? This conflict was the primary driving force behind the entire arc and was fleshed out more than basically every other conflict in the entire series. It got story books, a preceding arc, a flashback, and five different perspectives all touching upon this conflict that you claim was only "lightly scratched upon". Luffy vs Enel eclipsed the conflict? Luffy vs Enel was the climax of the conflict you baboon, it wasn't a separated event.



    Your poor memory isn't the fault of the arc. Noland wasn't a prominent character? He's literally what fueled this entire arc. How do you remember Noland but forget Calgara? All you've demonstrated is that you're in no position to be given out objective looks at this arc. You make a claim that the Shandians conflict was lightly touched upon then in the next statement you claim you forgot Wiper's big motivational driving force that was referenced throughout the arc.

    You can say he's not prominent but that flashback was all he needed to become 30x the character that Blueno or Mr. 4 ever were.



    Enel's time on the moon expanded the world building and lore of the series to a colossal degree. We now know that space civilizations are a thing in One Piece and the origin of the sky people. What does current relevance even matter towards the effectiveness of a villain, Enel doesn't magically become a better character just because he shows up again. The fact you're only caring about current relevance and impact when discussing the worth of a character, instead of the actual characters themselves, just shows a really shallow view towards the series.



    You've done nothing to actually defend this stance, if your goal is to humor me then there has to be some actual meat to the argument for me to address. You're entire argument here is that they're boring in lame because you say so, with your vague and fuzzy recollection of the arc.

    Gan Fall is a lame character and weak characterized because? Explain to me what makes him a worse supporting protagonist then Genzo, Dalton, Pell, Chaka, Kohza, Toto, Paulie, Iceburg, Brownbeard, etc.; he's on the higher end of the scale there when it comes to the supporting cast. Right now it sounds like you're just trying to find flaws for the sake of finding flaws, but have no real justification on why they are flaws or how other arcs did it better. In that entire write up the only real argument I've seen from you is that the henchmen had better fights in Alabasta and Enies Lobby.



    First off, Cake isn't really in a position to make overall claims on an arc she claims to have skipped.

    Second off, this is looking quite subjective for someone who claimed to be taking an objective look at the arc.

    Third off, you've done nothing but spout inaccuracies, hyperbole, and unsubstantiated claims. You've clearly demonstrated that you have no idea what you're talking about here.



    Lol, did you forget how you entered the thread, White?

    "Skypiea is probably the most overrated arc in the series, its good but it has nothing on Alabasta or even Arlong park. Only adventure preaching hipsters would tell you otherwise."

    The Strawman fallacy would be put to better use if you weren't the one who entered the thread calling out other people for their opinions. I'm simply defending my standpoint and pointing out some errors in your argument. List where in the thread I acted like a snobby art-critic saying the genius was too great for you to comprehend and that you should stick to EL.



    Skypeia did a shoddy job at entertaining me? I would disagree with that.

    White's Objectivity 101, say random critiques about the arc without backing them up, use opinion of someone who skipped the arc as confirmation bias that the arc was bad.
    Let me address a few of the points that completely ruin that monstrosity of a post and prove to you why your opinion is wrong.

    > Alabasta had the growing fear that Luffy and co where being chased down by Ace, Water 7 had the Usopp-Luffy conflict and the fact that Robin mysteriously disappeared. Exposition. Alabasta barely had any of that, and dont tell me we where supposed to be leaping for joy when we saw the priests. Satomi was a bad character who never should have been made, and that fight stretched out far longer than it should have for a joke/farcical fight.

    > Enel as a godlike being just sort of happened. Crocodile titles as a Shichbukai was built up all the way since Arlong Park when the name Shichibukai first got introduced. Then we had Whiskey Peak which was an entire island full of crocodile henchmen and even had the introduction of his right hand robin. Ever since Luffy first entered the perceived threat of Crocodile and BWs was always there. The priests weren't threatening at all, you agree Shura got the shaft, so what if Robin had her first ever fight? The fight was even more farcical than Luffy vs Satori she literally just used her hands to throw him off a cliff or into a boulder didnt she? The fact there was never another Robin fight again shows how much of a mistake Oda thought giving her that fight was.

  8. #28
    Fοrum-Owner Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Right There.
    Posts
    3,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I skipped this arc, found it too boring.
    Can you go fuck yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rob always has the last word. In fact, I'd argue that Rob > God.

    At least Rob wouldn't give us the appendix and call it an intelligent design.

  9. #29
    Ultimate Cook A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,748
    Just re-read this arc, Enel is the best character in the series.





  10. #30
    Say my name Ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    63,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just re-read this arc, Enel is the best character in the series.
    Enel is criminally underrated as a villain and character, he's so good

    and White has shit taste

  11. #31
    Ultimate Cook A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Enel is criminally underrated as a villain and character, he's so good

    and White has shit taste
    Agreed.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •