View Poll Results: How would you rate the Skypiea arc

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10/10

    16 66.67%
  • 9/10

    2 8.33%
  • 8/10

    1 4.17%
  • 7/10

    1 4.17%
  • 6/10

    1 4.17%
  • 5/10

    0 0%
  • 4/10

    1 4.17%
  • 3/10

    0 0%
  • 2/10

    0 0%
  • 1/10

    2 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    Formerly Nekomamushi Big Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,908

    One Piece Arc Popularity Poll:Skypiea

    Rate it on a scale of 1 to 10 from how much you enjoyed it and post what you think about it.

    Excellent arc. Has a lot of Oda's best storytelling and worldbuilding to date. Most of the fights were enjoyable and Enel was a great villain. Wiper was a great side character and Conis and co were pretty nice too as side characters. It had good moments for all the straw hats. It did feel a bit slow at times but not to the point where it became a problem for me. I rate it a 10/10. Not quite as good as Alabasta but definitely one of my favorite arcs.
    Last edited by Big Mom; 01-11-2017 at 06:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Ink Spot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Horn of Africa
    Posts
    3,377
    Was wondering if Jaya was skipped or something?

  3. #3
    Formerly Nekomamushi Big Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,908
    Wasen't skipped. I just somehow forgot about it, i have posted it now.

  4. #4
    Super Saiyan God Chen Xin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    32,768
    I remembered watching this for the first time and it was instantly my favorite arc.

    Still is even now.

  5. #5
    Hands down the best Arc Oda ever wrote. The whole build up and climax of the arc is just flawless.

    It had; an antagonist of supreme showing, a level that wasn't seen before.

    It had a political structure with the seas etc.

    It had a longstanding history and archeological value that ties really well with the world of One Piece.

    And maybe the best flashback we've seen in One Piece. (Norland Kalgarra! <3)

    But what to me stands out as why this arc was the greatest is; it had .... ROMANCE!

    From the build up in Jaya about an island in the sky (which sounds preposterous enough) but then the actual scientific theories that made it plausible! How awesome is that!


    The shadows of the giants that were shown on the sea; all the mythological legends that were shown and told about that you weren't sure if it was just big talk, or if they had some real merit!


    A city of gold that is in the sky!

    The showcasing of the struggle of the Skypeians, and their history. Good stuff.

    The introduction of Haki.

    Through this arc the world of One Piece became something extraordinary, with legends and tales we couldn't even fathom up till then!

    And the ringing of the bell... sends shivers down my spine every time I see it again...


    People think it's the alone of being forever alone that hurts the most, but that's not true. Everybody's alone sometimes, whether for periods when they're not dating anyone or just for a weekend while their spouse is at a conference. Alone is part of the human condition. It's the forever that pulls down the corners of your mouth just a little bit when you give someone a smile meant to indicate that everything's okay with you even though you want to scream that nothing's okay and never will be. It's the forever that tastes bitter in the back of your throat when you see a happy couple walking in the park or laughing in a restaurant. It's the forever that has you wide awake staring at your ceiling into the wee hours of the morning.Forever alone.
    There's an ongoing half-serious claim in our culture that men think about sex all the time. Every 17 seconds or so. That may be true for some guys but not a forever alone. After awhile you stop being able to think about sex, at least the way other people do. You can think about it abstractly, or when watching other people perform a stylized version of it alone in your room while you use your hand to joylessly complete a sad shadow of the biological imperative, but you stop being able to imagine sex as something you could be a part of. You see a woman in the springtime, her midriff peeking out from between the soft cotton of a shirt and the rougher waist of a pair of jeans. You start to imagine her naked, constructing a fantasy in detail, the way her breasts would sit against her chest, the soft down or absence thereof on her pubic area, and then you try to insert yourself into her presence and the fantasy crumbles to dust under the weight of its own absurdity. You know there's no chain of events, no course of actions, that could lead to that ill defined imaginary room where the two of you would meet in an act of carnal congress. There's no way to there from where you are, it's not even an alternate universe, it's an inconceivable one. It's like trying to imagine a world where everything else is the same except elephants float around like helium balloons and have to be anchored by their trunks or they'll float away. An inherently absurd thought. That's the idea of you and her being intimate. So you look away from that tiny sliver of skin, trying to keep your face from contorting in pain and bitterness. Where other men might smile at her you don't, because your smile sucks, and you suck. Forever alone.
    Eventually you don't even bother to build the image only to have it blow it away like a sand painting in a tornado. You imagine lesser things. The brush of a cool, soft, feminine hand against yours. Mundane couple bullshit like eating pancakes on a Sunday morning or watching a movie or just sharing your day with someone who gives a fuck and is not your mother. The other party in these pathetic little domestic tableaus is ill defined in your mind, because if you imagined her clearly enough to make her realistic then you know she wouldn't want you. And even with this feminine blur, this placeholder, this blurry silhouette of nothingness you project your emotions onto, the person she's with isn't really you. It's a better version of you, a thinner less obnoxious version who will control his temper before saying something cutting, who doesn't geek out and talk too much, who is free from the flaws who make you who you are and assure that nobody else will ever want to share their life with that person. Then you realize that you're fantasizing about an Archie Comics version of yourself making tomato soup for an undefined feminine projection blob, and you realize that even the part of you that creates these images doesn't want to be with you and can't imagine anyone who might. Forever alone.
    Around you the world stays mostly the same. People fall in love, hit milestones, get married, have kids. You're even jealous of the divorcees because you know that this is just a bump in the road for them, part of their journey. You're still at the starting line watching them recede, wanting to chase them and catch up, knowing you never will. But while the world is almost static, you are aging. Moving through your life alone. You start to get bitter at the milestones you've missed and the chances you'll never have. You see the graying of your hair and the years piling on like rust eating at the hull of a decommissioned ship and you realize that your opportunity for young love is already past. Even if you got it together and got in the game you'd just have a shot at middle aged love. It doesn't matter if you think women age like a fine wine, what wine connoisseur wants to live his life without ever tasting the shocking astringency of the harsh tanins of youth. Even if that's not your thing you don't want to cut it off forever. But you have. You won't even have memories of those very good years, as the song says, to keep you warm as you slide towards your dotage. All you have is your bursting store room of regrets and bitterness, and you can always cram in more. And you know that that rusty battleship will some day have a hole in its hull and be fixable, good for nothing more than salvage scrap. You add up the time it would take to lose the weight, get your teeth fixed, figure out your professional career, the time until you can smile at that woman in the coffee shop with confidence rather than the stomach sickness of self hate, and you realize it all adds up to a very big number. Everyone thinks of themselves as eternally 22 but at some point you are forced to admit that you are 37 and half your life is over and the back nine of the remaining half is not a time when people finally get that whole dating thing right. If the window is not closed its halfway there and sliding fast. Forever alone.
    All this breeds desperation and depression so you shove it back because you need to function, you need to keep eating and staying warm, you can't just stop and feel. But your dam is fragile and it leaks. And when you see that girl whose hand you want to brush against, who could sit with you looking into your eyes through the steam coming off her coffee cup and just be, who could understand you (she probably couldn't, but this is something men like to project on to women) you feel the dam start to buckle and the river behind it start to surge and you don't want to break down crying in the coffee shop because that's not what people do and if you can't have love at least you can have dignity, or the appearance of dignity, or the delusion of the appearance of dignity, so you turn your face to the side, you hope and pray she doesn't try to draw your attention (generally safe on that count, old chum) and you put one fucking foot in front of the other and continue down your sad and barren blighted path. Forever alone.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    15,174
    Luffy peaked as a character in Skypiea. While Enel and Wiper were full of zeal and madness, Luffy just kept a Zen attitude the entire time, and that's what allowed him to defeat Enel.


  7. #7
    - One of the best settings in one piece
    - Probably the best side character in wiper. For my ancestors is one of the best moments in the series
    - Great interactions between strawhats
    - Enel face is one of the funniest moments in the series
    - fatal four way steel cage match between zoro, wiper, ganfall and ohm is a personal favourite of mine.

    I really like skypiea, i really do but i wasn't big on the antagonists. Enel had some really great moments but he wasn't nearly as gripping and cool as Crocodile to me. Liked ohm but overall they were a step below baroque works and cp0 for me.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    1/10

    didnt even watch it

  10. #10
    If I were to pick one arc that really represents what the core and heart of what the series is all about, it would be Skypeia. Taken as the sum of its parts with the Jaya buildup, Iíd say itís the greatest arc in One Piece. The adventure, the world building, the characters, the story, the actionÖ itís all some of the best weíve gotten in the story. Skypeia represents the epitome of the Piratesí Romance.

    The location of Skypeia is an interesting mesh of themes. On one hand you have the Shandians and Upper Yard which is heavily based on various Native American cultures. The heavy dense jungles, the tepees, the sacrificial alters, their beliefs in honoring ancestors and the trees, traditions of dancing around the fire place, the designs of their temples, their clothing and accessories, and even have their own El Dorado with Shandora. Itís difficult to create a culture from scratch and have the audience relate to it, so bringing in these aspects from actual historical groups gives us a sense of familiarity towards them and makes it easier to understand and get a feel for the people, their motives, and struggles. Noland himself even fits in with this being more like the European explorer, going on expeditions funded by the royalty to chart and document new lands and adventures, except Noland is actually a good guy.

    On the other hand weíve got the Heaven theme blended into things. There are a lot of religious symbols and themes thrown into the mix. Thereís the pearly gates serving as the entrance to Skypeia, the angel appearance of the sky people, the 4 priests and their names linked with Buddhism, the sheep or goats serving as the bulk of his militia, the prayers of the islanders, the location being on the clouds, the giant arc, and the general vocabulary referencing things like sins, judgement, and God. They are two unique worlds that each could have served as their own arc location, but they blend together seamlessly to create one very unique and memorable location. The reason it works so well is because there are a lot of parallels between the two to make the connection with, the giant snake is an animal that fits with the South American environment but it also has symbolic ties to different religious beliefs, the land the Shandians call their home is what the Skypieans see as a divine holy garden not to be soiled. Of course thereís also the strong religious influence to each location, with the contrast being the East vs West interpretations on God. There is more East vs West contrast in the arc we see it both with the Norland and Calgara and with the two major supporting characters being the tribal Wiper and knight Gan Fall. Despite the contrast, one isnít really elevated above the other or made to look bad, they all come out of the situation looking as strong characters that the readers can relate to.

    Throughout the arcs Oda had been steadily advancing his world building to further and further levels, and this arc is where things really reached the higher levels that made One Piece into a fully flourished world. The Baratie arc let us know a bigger world was out there, the Arlong Park arc set up pieces on the table for later use, the Drum arc set those pieces in motion, the Jaya arc showed us those pieces in motion, but Skypiea changed the game. As the series started becoming less narrow and focused and growing more into a grand and larger world, there was still one thing it was missing, a proper mythos. It was still just the story of One Piece, a band of pirates heading to find the ultimate treasure hidden by Roger. The Norland and Calgara flashback gave the world some history, we donít just get exposition on what happened sometime far in the past, we get an actual fully developed story taking place 400 years prior to the main timeline. That story has its own world, its own characters, its own cultures, locations, events, and even its own history and mythos within the flashback itself. Suddenly one of the big plot points in the series is about unraveling a mystery of what happened centuries prior to the story beginning, this is where the story stopped being confined to just the present and had its own rich and deep lore hidden within it.

    This is where Skypeia truly shines as an arc location; it has such a rich history behind it that no other arc comes even close to touching upon. We explore the very arc itself from three different perspectives, the flashback, Jaya, and Upper Yard. Beyond even Norland we learn the original Shandians were all but wiped out trying to protect a poneglyph from unknown attackers, giving us lore within the lore. We learn the story of Norland and the bell, which we first experienced as a Fairy Tale that became a popular childrenís fairy tale in the Blue Sea, showing the story get warped through word of mouth of the old King. We see how Norland discover part of the island missing and we see that same story through the perspective of Calgara as he was shot into the sky. We see the takeover as the Skypieans forced them from their land and started the civil war, how Gan Fall eventually inherited the throne and was conflicted on how to handle the war, and eventually learn of when Enel came and conquered. How at the time of the main story the descendants of Noland and Calgara refused to give up on this history. He went all in making Skypeia a location that came to life with its fleshed out and vibrant past. On top of that we even got their unique form of technology with the wavers and dials that that showed their culture and lifestyle of the native Skypieans and would end up being incorporated into the arsenal of the main cast. Even on a base level a sky jungle is just a cool place for an adventure and the flashback made for a really strong story.

    There wasnít a single character I thought was bad in this arcÖ well aside from Satoriís two brothers, could have done without them, but they were too minor to really matter anyways. I guess Oda felt Nami needed to have a fight this arc, but we wouldnít have been missing anything by cutting out the forgettable match against the two twins. The supporting characters Aisa and Conis were pretty good, they took action and helped with the plot, didnít just sit around being useless. Gan Fall was just a cool old geezer who was an enjoyable presence in the arc.

    Wiper I view as the greatest support character weíve seen in the series, unless one counts Whitebeard at Marineford. Part of what makes him work so well is that heís a true independent this arc, he has the same common enemy as Luffy but he is has his own motives and agendas and serves as an obstacle to the group as well, not just a standard ally. He battles both Luffy and Zoro and wants to kill Gan Fall, he serves as head of his own force with his own storyline and full character arc, and he doesnít lose out to any of the main cast. Itís rare to see a support character who actually manages to outshine Zoro and the others in an arc; the guy was so effective he actually managed to temporarily kill the arc villain. While Gan Fall is chivalrous, noble, and conflicted, Wiper foils him by being tribal, savage, with unbreakable determination. Heís a man with unwavering conviction who stops at nothing to achieve his goals.

    Enel was such a powerful presence in this arc, he was called a God and he really lived up to the title. Before we even saw him introduced, he was already smiting people from across the island for their transgressions. He didnít even have to be in the same area to kill someone, he could do it from anywhere and we didnít even know what he looked like. He carried had a very ominous and foreboding presence to him, when he said there would be 5 people at the end of his death match the first thought was which 5 were going to survive, that line was put there for a reason. This wasnít going to be Alabasta where everyone wins, we knew at least one of the Strawhats was going to be defeated early, and sure enough Sanji and Usopp take the fall to Enel and Chopper is picked off by Ohm. Even reaching the Big Mom arc messing with the Yonkou, I still donít feel she gives off as dominating a presence as what Enel did in this arc.

    He felt like something quite special as a villain. I think Skypeia being so separated really worked to Enelís advantage; it just allowed him to be his own separate and unique thing away from the usual world of One Piece. No bounties, no Marines, no Schichibukai, no Pirates, it was just Enel and his army up in the sky away from it all, which really gives the adventurous feel. Heís really a quite affable character in his mannerisms and interactions, he doesnít seem like an outright evil or malicious guy, but more like a legitimately insane madman who fully believes his delusions and thinks the world is all the natural will and order of how things should be. Thereís no ultimate scheme, hidden agenda, malicious intent, or anything to conceivably reason or bargain with; itís just a full on crazy person with unimaginable power who does random acts of chaos because he thinks heís God and itís his right, a true force of nature. He also has a really great design that fits him perfectly. The fight with Luffy had some great choreography and moments between the two and itís amusing how Enel actively tried avoiding a fight with Luffy once things stopped going his way. While it was a bit detached, the amount of weight behind the story made Enelís defeat the most satisfying in the manga for me.

    The other villains, the 4 priests and Yuma made for an enjoyable group of villains with good designs. Didnít feel like there were any weak links here, Yuma wasnít much but he did provide Robin her only true one on one match, which helped her feel more integrated in the group overall. Satori was decent for what he was, introducing the concept of Mantra and being the warm-up fight to let us know what weíre in for. Gedatsu is probably the weirdest character that Odaís created and served helped Chopperís advancement as a character. Ohm and Shura were both just pretty cool all around, though I wish Shura would have gotten more of a fight at the end, he was a pretty active force in the arc initially but got one shotted to show off the power of the reject dial. The action was pretty good all around, not to Alabasta levels, but still strong for whatís a more adventure oriented arc.

    The biggest flaw to this arc is again, Oda teasing the deaths of characters. If heís going to kill off a character then thatís something he needs to go all in on, you donít just get to throw in a death scene for cheap emotion then say ďjust kiddingĒ later on. Enel claims to have murdered the entire Godís militia once he no longer needed them and then the arc wraps up and theyíre all fine. Worse would be Pagaya, gets struck by lightning and seemingly killed off then literally just pops up in the middle of the group later on without even a shred of explanation for why heís still alive. Pagaya living does nothing for the story and neither do the random nameless fodder that served Gan Fall. It doesn't hold the overall arc back enough to change the score.


    Overall, this probably is Odaís best arc in the series, and might be my favorite arc overall. An easy 10/10

  11. #11
    which faggots rated this below 10

  12. #12
    Fοrum-Owner Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Right There.
    Posts
    3,181
    Tin outta focken tin m8

    One of my absolute favorite arcs with arguably the greatest FB in the entire series (though there are other contenders obviously).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rob always has the last word. In fact, I'd argue that Rob > God.

    At least Rob wouldn't give us the appendix and call it an intelligent design.

  13. #13
    Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bar Eden Hall
    Posts
    1,257
    This is a great arc
    the setting is the best in all of one piece, getting there alone was a grand adventure
    it had a lot of drama because of the political tension
    there were 4 factions at play and each had a different goal so there were many subplots but the setting kept them interrelated and so the plot wasn't messy and instead it was wildly vivid.
    I treasure the fight with enel not only because it was a great fight, but because this is last time we get to see luffy defeat a DF user by exploiting the DF's weakness.
    the feeling you get when that bell tolls sums up how I feel about this arc
    this arc is perfect 10/10
    Also Wiper is the greatest side character ever.


    ʕēᴥēʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

  14. #14
    Skypiea is probably the most overrated arc in the series, its good but it has nothing on Alabasta or even Arlong park. Only adventure preaching hipsters would tell you otherwise. Lets analyse it objectively:

    Nothing happened for the majority of the first part. We got to see BB first encounter the SHs but that was it, the rest of it we just saw the shs trying to navigate safely up the jump stream which took lord knows how many chapters

    Then they got to skypiea and it took far too long to establish Enel as the main antagonist, we got a lot of stuff no one really cares about in how Gran Fall lost to Enel and became the God of Skypiea. Build up was far to slow here

    When they finally got to the Skypiea jungle, we got 4 severly underwhelming opponents in the priests they all had the same observation haki gimmick and that was about it. I bet most people cant even remember the name of one of let alone all 4. I remember Gedatsu and thats about it.

    Then we finally got to the boss fight Enel which was done well we had a lot of really cool fight panels with Enel, but Enel pretty much one shotted everyone because barely anyone struggled against the priests. And then we had Luffy beat Enel which was another cool fight, but it doesnt excuse an entire arc of mediocrity.
    Last edited by Flair; 01-14-2017 at 02:23 AM.

  15. #15
    Check these edgelords voting 1/10.


    People think it's the alone of being forever alone that hurts the most, but that's not true. Everybody's alone sometimes, whether for periods when they're not dating anyone or just for a weekend while their spouse is at a conference. Alone is part of the human condition. It's the forever that pulls down the corners of your mouth just a little bit when you give someone a smile meant to indicate that everything's okay with you even though you want to scream that nothing's okay and never will be. It's the forever that tastes bitter in the back of your throat when you see a happy couple walking in the park or laughing in a restaurant. It's the forever that has you wide awake staring at your ceiling into the wee hours of the morning.Forever alone.
    There's an ongoing half-serious claim in our culture that men think about sex all the time. Every 17 seconds or so. That may be true for some guys but not a forever alone. After awhile you stop being able to think about sex, at least the way other people do. You can think about it abstractly, or when watching other people perform a stylized version of it alone in your room while you use your hand to joylessly complete a sad shadow of the biological imperative, but you stop being able to imagine sex as something you could be a part of. You see a woman in the springtime, her midriff peeking out from between the soft cotton of a shirt and the rougher waist of a pair of jeans. You start to imagine her naked, constructing a fantasy in detail, the way her breasts would sit against her chest, the soft down or absence thereof on her pubic area, and then you try to insert yourself into her presence and the fantasy crumbles to dust under the weight of its own absurdity. You know there's no chain of events, no course of actions, that could lead to that ill defined imaginary room where the two of you would meet in an act of carnal congress. There's no way to there from where you are, it's not even an alternate universe, it's an inconceivable one. It's like trying to imagine a world where everything else is the same except elephants float around like helium balloons and have to be anchored by their trunks or they'll float away. An inherently absurd thought. That's the idea of you and her being intimate. So you look away from that tiny sliver of skin, trying to keep your face from contorting in pain and bitterness. Where other men might smile at her you don't, because your smile sucks, and you suck. Forever alone.
    Eventually you don't even bother to build the image only to have it blow it away like a sand painting in a tornado. You imagine lesser things. The brush of a cool, soft, feminine hand against yours. Mundane couple bullshit like eating pancakes on a Sunday morning or watching a movie or just sharing your day with someone who gives a fuck and is not your mother. The other party in these pathetic little domestic tableaus is ill defined in your mind, because if you imagined her clearly enough to make her realistic then you know she wouldn't want you. And even with this feminine blur, this placeholder, this blurry silhouette of nothingness you project your emotions onto, the person she's with isn't really you. It's a better version of you, a thinner less obnoxious version who will control his temper before saying something cutting, who doesn't geek out and talk too much, who is free from the flaws who make you who you are and assure that nobody else will ever want to share their life with that person. Then you realize that you're fantasizing about an Archie Comics version of yourself making tomato soup for an undefined feminine projection blob, and you realize that even the part of you that creates these images doesn't want to be with you and can't imagine anyone who might. Forever alone.
    Around you the world stays mostly the same. People fall in love, hit milestones, get married, have kids. You're even jealous of the divorcees because you know that this is just a bump in the road for them, part of their journey. You're still at the starting line watching them recede, wanting to chase them and catch up, knowing you never will. But while the world is almost static, you are aging. Moving through your life alone. You start to get bitter at the milestones you've missed and the chances you'll never have. You see the graying of your hair and the years piling on like rust eating at the hull of a decommissioned ship and you realize that your opportunity for young love is already past. Even if you got it together and got in the game you'd just have a shot at middle aged love. It doesn't matter if you think women age like a fine wine, what wine connoisseur wants to live his life without ever tasting the shocking astringency of the harsh tanins of youth. Even if that's not your thing you don't want to cut it off forever. But you have. You won't even have memories of those very good years, as the song says, to keep you warm as you slide towards your dotage. All you have is your bursting store room of regrets and bitterness, and you can always cram in more. And you know that that rusty battleship will some day have a hole in its hull and be fixable, good for nothing more than salvage scrap. You add up the time it would take to lose the weight, get your teeth fixed, figure out your professional career, the time until you can smile at that woman in the coffee shop with confidence rather than the stomach sickness of self hate, and you realize it all adds up to a very big number. Everyone thinks of themselves as eternally 22 but at some point you are forced to admit that you are 37 and half your life is over and the back nine of the remaining half is not a time when people finally get that whole dating thing right. If the window is not closed its halfway there and sliding fast. Forever alone.
    All this breeds desperation and depression so you shove it back because you need to function, you need to keep eating and staying warm, you can't just stop and feel. But your dam is fragile and it leaks. And when you see that girl whose hand you want to brush against, who could sit with you looking into your eyes through the steam coming off her coffee cup and just be, who could understand you (she probably couldn't, but this is something men like to project on to women) you feel the dam start to buckle and the river behind it start to surge and you don't want to break down crying in the coffee shop because that's not what people do and if you can't have love at least you can have dignity, or the appearance of dignity, or the delusion of the appearance of dignity, so you turn your face to the side, you hope and pray she doesn't try to draw your attention (generally safe on that count, old chum) and you put one fucking foot in front of the other and continue down your sad and barren blighted path. Forever alone.

  16. #16
    Formerly Nekomamushi Big Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,908
    Those heretics votes won't count in this tournament. I see on that.

  17. #17
    Red Regalia Of Fire Rax, Hero Of Carnage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    39,993
    4/10

    It was alright. Another OP villain group where only the main villain mattered while the rest were bland.

  18. #18
    So let me get this straight.


    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Only adventure preaching hipsters would tell you otherwise
    You hate Adventure

    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing happened for the majority of the first part.
    You hate world-building and setting establishment

    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it took far too long to establish Enel as the main antagonist,
    You hate build-up and suspense

    Quote Originally Posted by White View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 severly underwhelming opponents in the priests
    You want every minor villain to be extreme diff fight


    So basically the reason you hate Skypeia is because your "ideal version" of One Piece is basically Luffy in a room constantly gauntlet'ing brawler types like Lucci with zero buildup and zero plot.
    Go watch Dragons Ballz then






    Skypeia was hands down the best arc of One Piece
    Last edited by HisMajestyMihawk; 01-16-2017 at 12:06 AM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by HisMajestyMihawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    You hate Adventure

    You hate world-building and setting establishment

    You hate build-up and suspense

    You want every minor villain to be extreme diff fight

    So basically the reason you hate Skypeia is because your "ideal version" of One Piece is basically Luffy in a room constantly gauntlet'ing brawler types like Lucci with zero buildup and zero plot.

    Go watch Dragons Ballz then

    Skypeia was hands down the best arc of One Piece
    > Nope, I just dont like it when author tries really hard to the paint an arc as a cool adventure to the point where it looks forced. Dressrosa and Fishman Island felt the same way

    > I dont understand how spending like 5 chapters on a jet stream is world building and how hearing some tired tale for the next 10 chapters about how some scrub like Gran Fall lost to Enel is doing a good job setting the establishment. We get it theyre on an island in the sky skip to the part where theyre actually doing something interesting.

    > The priests weren't minor arc villains, they where the four main enemies after Enel. If you try to tell me the priests where done better than Baraque Works ill laugh in your face.

    > Did I say that

    On the contrary, Jaya is probably my one of my favourite arcs in One Piece and its probably the only arc where luffy didnt do any fighting.

    > I've already watched Dragon Ball Z m8

  20. #20
    I won't say the priests were better. IMO I agree the fight matchups were better in Alabasta

    I will however say that the Priests and the mantra ability overall tied much better into the whole sky/god setting

    From the ship falling from the sky to the ending where they leave skypeia, I consider Jaya as part of the Skypeia arc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •