Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Urouge vs Smoker

Location- Enies Lobby
    Mindset : IC
    Restriction : None

Urouge took out a sweet commander, no? Don't think this is a good match at all.

Urouge mid diff

I think this might be a bad match for Urouge.

Urouge seems more like a big tank with a lot of raw power, and that's only amplified the more he bulks himself up. Smoker is a very mobile fighter so I think he'd be able to connect with his seastone jutte, which is all he really needs against devil fruit users, even Law would have got caught under that if not for a last second teleportation. Urouge could turn the tides if he takes enough damage, but I don't think it would get to that point; Smoker is more likely to try trapping him with smoke or seastone then he is to try beating Urouge unconscious in an extended fight.

Urouge is a brawler type with a DF, and more or less in the same ballpark as Smoker. The Vice-Admiral was outmaneuvering Law, so smacking the Mad Monk with that jute shouldn't be too much of an issue. Even though Urouge packs more of a punch and has higher HP, he's gonna fall short against a very agile Logia who's armed with what's basically kryptonite to DF users.

This is simply a bad matchup for Urouge. He probably loses with high-diff. His upset victory over Snack won't be reflected in every fight, even if his opponent (Smoker) is weaker than Snack.

Before pre skip he seem'd to be able to handle himself against agile fighters like Killer and have you guys also forgotten that Smoker lost to a brawler like Vergo? While I don't think his haki control is as good Vergo. I doubt a brawler like Urouge would be inferior to Smoker when it comes to CoA.

Uroge mid-diff. Smoker is getting too much credit from you guys.

@Kangsta;

Smoker didn't lose to Vergo. He threw the fight to retrieve Law's heart. Do you even read this manga? Negged.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangsta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Before pre skip he seem'd to be able to handle himself against agile fighters like Killer and have you guys also forgotten that Smoker lost to a brawler like Vergo? While I don't think his haki control is as good Vergo. I doubt a brawler like Urouge would be inferior to Smoker when it comes to CoA.
    Vergo doesn't have a devil fruit, so he can fight Smoker without worrying about that jutte. If Smoker was fighting with a normal jutte I would probably give it to Urouge, but the seastone gives a massive advantage over devil fruit users, getting tagged a single time could be game over for Urouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oannes View Post
    @Kangsta;

Smoker didn't lose to Vergo. He threw the fight to retrieve Law's heart. Do you even read this manga? Negged.
    So you think that Smoker would win with Vergo?

Quote Originally Posted by Oannes View Post
    @Kangsta;

I know you have your stupid moments, but god damn. I've only seen you go full Rax 2-3 times before.

He threw in the towel and went for Laws heart because he coulden't put him down himself. If he was as strong as you want him to be then why didn't he just defeat him and retrieve the heart?

pretty clearly smoker. there's nothing remotely suggesting that urouge deserves the benefit of doubt here. smoker has much greater relevancy in the story (even nowadays) - urouge has always been quite insignificant. he was never even remotely close to being portrayed as one of the most promosing supernovas - smoker, on the other hand, was a roadblock for luffy for a large part of the story, and this roadblock seemed to stretch on endlessly.

you are fooling yourself if you think oda would ever have smoker lose this fight (let alone have urouge manhandle him with something like mid-diff). even though smoker has definitely fallen from grace and is no longer that towering behemoth and luffy's nemesis, oda's respect for the character would never even make him entertain the thought that urouge would take this with mid-diff. this is the guy that matched croc against top tiers at marineford, and had vista tango with mihawk - out of respect for their characters and to give them dynamic entries.

i think the point that urouge defeated a sweet commander is moot when there is quite clearly a gigantic gap between snack and eg. cracker. it's mentioned that big mom sent cracker "to put Urouge in his place" (sic!), which implies that urouge didn't even pose a realistic chance.

until urouge shows anything respectable, i will give it to smoker - somebody that has shown that he can tango with M3-level fighters, and would probably even win against sanji (until sanji pulls out anything new, smoker definitely deserves the benefit of doubt). and if post-TS has reinforced anything, it's that the monster trio truly means something even in the new world. vergo would pummel urouge - smoker would take him for a ride.
    Last edited by Batou; 01-10-2017 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    Vergo doesn't have a devil fruit, so he can fight Smoker without worrying about that jutte. If Smoker was fighting with a normal jutte I would probably give it to Urouge, but the seastone gives a massive advantage over devil fruit users, getting tagged a single time could be game over for Urouge.
    That's very true. Thing is though unless he pins Urogue down like he did Luffy or bash his head in good enough amount of times. I don't see him putting out enough damage to take him down seastone jutte or not. He still seems to have the upper hand in maneuverability but with that huge pillar coated in CoA, I'd give it to Urouge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Batou View Post
    vergo would pummel urouge - smoker would take him for a ride.
    You really believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kangsta View Post
    That's very true. Thing is though unless he pins Urogue down like he did Luffy or bash his head in good enough amount of times. I don't see him putting out enough damage to take him down seastone jutte or not. He still seems to have the upper hand in maneuverability but with that huge pillar coated in CoA, I'd give it to Urouge.

- - - Updated - - -

You really believe that?
    i think that vergo would win the fight due to showing impressive agility and colossal power behind his attacks. we were also made to believe that his haki truly was the real deal - he just had the misfortune of trying to flex on a character who doesn't give a shit about defense essentially.

smoker would win that fight with room to spare, no doubt. he'd rope-a-dope him until no tomorrow - what exactly can urouge do? he's not keeping up with smoker no matter what. i don't think urouge packs enough of a punch either to possibly make one mistake by smoker count more than dozens of successful attacks on smoker's part.

i think that vergo would win the fight due to showing impressive agility and colossal power behind his attacks. we were also made to believe that his haki truly was the real deal - he just had the misfortune of trying to flex on a character who doesn't give a shit about defense essentially.

smoker would win that fight with room to spare, no doubt. he'd rope-a-dope him until no tomorrow - what exactly can urouge do? he's not keeping up with smoker no matter what. i don't think urouge packs enough of a punch either to possibly make one mistake by smoker count more than dozens of successful attacks on smoker's part.
    Urouge will snap Smoker's Jutte like a twig

What makes Urouge slow exactly? The only two times we've seen him not react fast enough was when he got shot by a PX's laser and kicked by Kizaru. He doesn't pack enough punch? He was smashing that Kuma clone left and right, bitch robot cheated with laser. As a supernova that bases his fighting style around brawls. You think he's less than M3 level?

He put down a commander of a yonko. The fact that Cracker came after him. Someone who was beating G2 and 3 Luffy with one cracker soldier already shows he was a threat. While Law is good and all. What exactly makes him so faster then Urouge?

Smoker probably wins. I put Urogue above him in terms of strength but his seastone jutte which he should manage to him him with will cancel out Urouge's powers and make him weaker making the former be able to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Urouge will snap Smoker's Jutte like a twig
    Das it mane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangsta
    I know you have your stupid moments, but god damn. I've only seen you go full Rax 2-3 times before.

He threw in the towel and went for Laws heart because he coulden't put him down himself. If he was as strong as you want him to be then why didn't he just defeat him and retrieve the heart?
    You need to develop some reading comprehension.

Smoker was doing a fine job of matching Vergo in their initial skirmish.

The problem was that they were so close in strength that no winner was assured. Rather than risk losing to Vergo and not only getting himself (but also Law) killed in the process, he decided it was wiser to hand the baton the Law---who already proved to be decisively stronger than either Vice-Admiral.

Why else do you think Oda spent precious dialogue on Vergo saying, "What's the matter, Smoker? This isn't your fighting style. Why increase your volume against a superior Color of Arms user? You're only making yourself a bigger target."

The fact that some people think Oda would ever write Smoker handily losing to Urouge is simply astounding. I don't know why post-Marineford One Piece fans keep getting progressively dumber, but it needs to stop eventually. Smoker is such an integral part of this story that he would never fall behind the Supernovas as a whole.

I think Urouge is a unique case as far as power scaling goes, since his ability would have him getting stronger and stronger the longer the fight progresses. I place him on the lower end of the supernova at base, but he can progressively rise through the ranks the more he amps up, so matchup is important when discussing him. He'd do worse against fighters with hax or lethal abilities to put him down quickly, but shine against more physical fighters who would turn things into a grueling death-match.