Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    VICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    6,880

    does hype ruin everything it touches?

    or is it better in the long term?

    Thanks to Myst~
    TV Club Interest Thread

  2. #2
    Nekomamushi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,678
    Sometimes hype is bad because it can lead to big disappointment but sometimes it's good too get people excited for something that is actually worth watching.

  3. #3
    More life to the Boss Alex D. Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    12,500
    I'm done with the hype.

  4. #4
    There's the door Spaceman Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,009
    Just depends on what it's hyping. Hype doesn't dissuade or attract me to something, or at least I don't think it does.


    But I've read/watched many a hyped thing I felt was great as well as the opposite.

  5. #5
    It only ruins manga for me if it is used frequently in nearly every chapter trying to create suspense.

  6. #6
    Ichiryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The Parliaments
    Posts
    16,319
    No, it can be good or bad, but it's not always bad.





    The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

  7. #7
    DoflaMihawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    27,801
    I care little for hype. Someone may hype a tv show up because all their friends are doing the same thing and they want to join the popular crowd. Then this builds up until all of Facebook or Twitter or whatever are raving about how amazing this show is and it becomes impossible to ignore them.

    So usually I'll just watch the show before the hype machine can convert me too and come to my own conclusion.

  8. #8
    ◤ wazzup Ozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,228
    it doesn't ruin anything unless you blow your expectations out of proportion

    ''hype'' is only an indication of people's appreciation for a work's content, you either enjoy something or you don't

    also @VICE; you should know better than to post threads of this kind in the Theater, this goes in the main section smh


  9. #9
    There's the door Spaceman Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,009
    Let me back my statement up a bit and clarify.


    I don't mind it when regular old joe types hype up something. I DO mind it when a company does. Hard to sometimes tell when people are being influenced by corporate hype, but the reason I do not like corporate hype has everything to do with how it manipulates someone into feeling like they're missing out with something on an artificial level.


    An example of "good" hype would be a friend or community hyping a continuing ongoing comic like Saga and so I feel like I am actually missing out on something.

    An example of "bad" hype would be Marvel telling me Civil War II is the event of the summer and it's going to be great and it needs to be read and that it has a ton of superstars and complex story.

  10. #10
    Ichiryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The Parliaments
    Posts
    16,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let me back my statement up a bit and clarify.


    I don't mind it when regular old joe types hype up something. I DO mind it when a company does. Hard to sometimes tell when people are being influenced by corporate hype, but the reason I do not like corporate hype has everything to do with how it manipulates someone into feeling like they're missing out with something on an artificial level.


    An example of "good" hype would be a friend or community hyping a continuing ongoing comic like Saga and so I feel like I am actually missing out on something.

    An example of "bad" hype would be Marvel telling me Civil War II is the event of the summer and it's going to be great and it needs to be read and that it has a ton of superstars and complex story.
    but what if said company lives up to the hype?





    The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

  11. #11
    There's the door Spaceman Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but what if said company lives up to the hype?
    I don't mind advertisements delivering as promised but it is a rarity. And I get that companies have to get people hyped up for a series, and you'll see me sharing that with glee from time to time. I ran a thread yesterday basically repeating hype from Marvel about an upcoming Nick Fury series in April. But I don't normally trust when a company tells me it's going to "be good". Mainly because market manipulation works against accurate portrayal in pursuit of dollars and so the best way to do that is to make you feel like you absolutely need something before you know fully what it is.

    And obviously this would depend on the company since some companies can deliver on hype near consistently with minimal to no overhype. It's just not common that advertisement hype delivers as promised, or sometimes even representative of the final product. This is especially so as hype has become one of the biggest methods to sell things, particularly in video games, comics, movies, and television. Shoot, that's the entire business model of infomercials like the slap chop or mighty putty. Like I said, I understand that's what a company must do to garner interest and give its product the best chance it has at success, but I rarely trust it because of how often I've been burned.

    Can any of us say Suicide Squad lived up to its hype? Duke Nukem Forever? Batman vs Superman? Passengers, Prometheus, pretty much any Aliens game, Ryse, Order: 1866, Playstation VR, Age of Ultron, Watchdogs, Convergence, State of Jones? All hyped to be one of the biggest things ever/return to form/spectacles, and all of them pretty much fell flat. In some cases they were sheer atrocities. All of them hyped through the roof by advert firms.

    Also, this isn't to say that peer to peer hype is some foolproof or pure method. I hype the fuck out of Nextwave to anybody who will listen and I'm pretty sure most people here who have tried it can't figure out why I like it.

  12. #12
    Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bar Eden Hall
    Posts
    800
    It depends on if it is actually good.
    If something is great, no amount of hype can ruin the experience the for.
    If something is mediocre, hype will make me end up hating it because I'd go in with high expectations XDDDDDDDDDDD


    Nika vs. Crispy Assassin Game! Sign Up to play NOW!

    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

  13. #13
    ◤ wazzup Ozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mind advertisements delivering as promised but it is a rarity. And I get that companies have to get people hyped up for a series, and you'll see me sharing that with glee from time to time. I ran a thread yesterday basically repeating hype from Marvel about an upcoming Nick Fury series in April. But I don't normally trust when a company tells me it's going to "be good". Mainly because market manipulation works against accurate portrayal in pursuit of dollars and so the best way to do that is to make you feel like you absolutely need something before you know fully what it is.

    And obviously this would depend on the company since some companies can deliver on hype near consistently with minimal to no overhype. It's just not common that advertisement hype delivers as promised, or sometimes even representative of the final product. This is especially so as hype has become one of the biggest methods to sell things, particularly in video games, comics, movies, and television. Shoot, that's the entire business model of infomercials like the slap chop or mighty putty. Like I said, I understand that's what a company must do to garner interest and give its product the best chance it has at success, but I rarely trust it because of how often I've been burned.

    Can any of us say Suicide Squad lived up to its hype? Duke Nukem Forever? Batman vs Superman? Passengers, Prometheus, pretty much any Aliens game, Ryse, Order: 1866, Playstation VR, Age of Ultron, Watchdogs, Convergence, State of Jones? All hyped to be one of the biggest things ever/return to form/spectacles, and all of them pretty much fell flat. In some cases they were sheer atrocities. All of them hyped through the roof by advert firms.

    Also, this isn't to say that peer to peer hype is some foolproof or pure method. I hype the fuck out of Nextwave to anybody who will listen and I'm pretty sure most people here who have tried it can't figure out why I like it.
    as far as the hype that precedes the release of comic books' crossover events, the only ones to blame are its consummers, I mean at some point people oughta stop being gullible by buying into somthing they know will suck 9 out of 10 times, is spammed every other month, and ruins good stand-alone titles because ''muh shared universe''

    making profit is the only thing that drives corporations, so by default they will always take the easier route unless they're hard-pressed by the consummer to do otherwise, so whoever buys their products has the responsability to be conscious of what it's being fed and make their voice count with their wallets

    all it takes is an ounce of critical thinking, people are just lazy, it's easy to point the blame at corporations but it's not so clear-cut

    just for emphasis, right now the quality of television series is better than it's ever been (and in some cases rivaling feature films), but 12 or 15 years ago this wasn't the case, consummers made a difference by showing appreciation for shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and more recently Breaking Bad, which paved the way and elevated the standard for many shows we enjoy nowadays -- corporate will always follow wherever the demand is


  14. #14
    I think hype is a bad thing, but these days it's probaby mandatory thing to do if you want your work to be noticed by the crowd and actually turn a profit.

    It's a shame I guess we live in a world like that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think crowd hype is a bad thing, but these days it's probaby mandatory thing to do if you want your work to be noticed by the crowd and actually turn a profit.

    But personal hype is a good thing and mouth to mouth commercialism is still teh best.

    Sometimes it detracts from the experience, if the hype is through the roof.

    I personally try to not give in to tit.


    People think it's the alone of being forever alone that hurts the most, but that's not true. Everybody's alone sometimes, whether for periods when they're not dating anyone or just for a weekend while their spouse is at a conference. Alone is part of the human condition. It's the forever that pulls down the corners of your mouth just a little bit when you give someone a smile meant to indicate that everything's okay with you even though you want to scream that nothing's okay and never will be. It's the forever that tastes bitter in the back of your throat when you see a happy couple walking in the park or laughing in a restaurant. It's the forever that has you wide awake staring at your ceiling into the wee hours of the morning.Forever alone.
    There's an ongoing half-serious claim in our culture that men think about sex all the time. Every 17 seconds or so. That may be true for some guys but not a forever alone. After awhile you stop being able to think about sex, at least the way other people do. You can think about it abstractly, or when watching other people perform a stylized version of it alone in your room while you use your hand to joylessly complete a sad shadow of the biological imperative, but you stop being able to imagine sex as something you could be a part of. You see a woman in the springtime, her midriff peeking out from between the soft cotton of a shirt and the rougher waist of a pair of jeans. You start to imagine her naked, constructing a fantasy in detail, the way her breasts would sit against her chest, the soft down or absence thereof on her pubic area, and then you try to insert yourself into her presence and the fantasy crumbles to dust under the weight of its own absurdity. You know there's no chain of events, no course of actions, that could lead to that ill defined imaginary room where the two of you would meet in an act of carnal congress. There's no way to there from where you are, it's not even an alternate universe, it's an inconceivable one. It's like trying to imagine a world where everything else is the same except elephants float around like helium balloons and have to be anchored by their trunks or they'll float away. An inherently absurd thought. That's the idea of you and her being intimate. So you look away from that tiny sliver of skin, trying to keep your face from contorting in pain and bitterness. Where other men might smile at her you don't, because your smile sucks, and you suck. Forever alone.
    Eventually you don't even bother to build the image only to have it blow it away like a sand painting in a tornado. You imagine lesser things. The brush of a cool, soft, feminine hand against yours. Mundane couple bullshit like eating pancakes on a Sunday morning or watching a movie or just sharing your day with someone who gives a fuck and is not your mother. The other party in these pathetic little domestic tableaus is ill defined in your mind, because if you imagined her clearly enough to make her realistic then you know she wouldn't want you. And even with this feminine blur, this placeholder, this blurry silhouette of nothingness you project your emotions onto, the person she's with isn't really you. It's a better version of you, a thinner less obnoxious version who will control his temper before saying something cutting, who doesn't geek out and talk too much, who is free from the flaws who make you who you are and assure that nobody else will ever want to share their life with that person. Then you realize that you're fantasizing about an Archie Comics version of yourself making tomato soup for an undefined feminine projection blob, and you realize that even the part of you that creates these images doesn't want to be with you and can't imagine anyone who might. Forever alone.
    Around you the world stays mostly the same. People fall in love, hit milestones, get married, have kids. You're even jealous of the divorcees because you know that this is just a bump in the road for them, part of their journey. You're still at the starting line watching them recede, wanting to chase them and catch up, knowing you never will. But while the world is almost static, you are aging. Moving through your life alone. You start to get bitter at the milestones you've missed and the chances you'll never have. You see the graying of your hair and the years piling on like rust eating at the hull of a decommissioned ship and you realize that your opportunity for young love is already past. Even if you got it together and got in the game you'd just have a shot at middle aged love. It doesn't matter if you think women age like a fine wine, what wine connoisseur wants to live his life without ever tasting the shocking astringency of the harsh tanins of youth. Even if that's not your thing you don't want to cut it off forever. But you have. You won't even have memories of those very good years, as the song says, to keep you warm as you slide towards your dotage. All you have is your bursting store room of regrets and bitterness, and you can always cram in more. And you know that that rusty battleship will some day have a hole in its hull and be fixable, good for nothing more than salvage scrap. You add up the time it would take to lose the weight, get your teeth fixed, figure out your professional career, the time until you can smile at that woman in the coffee shop with confidence rather than the stomach sickness of self hate, and you realize it all adds up to a very big number. Everyone thinks of themselves as eternally 22 but at some point you are forced to admit that you are 37 and half your life is over and the back nine of the remaining half is not a time when people finally get that whole dating thing right. If the window is not closed its halfway there and sliding fast. Forever alone.
    All this breeds desperation and depression so you shove it back because you need to function, you need to keep eating and staying warm, you can't just stop and feel. But your dam is fragile and it leaks. And when you see that girl whose hand you want to brush against, who could sit with you looking into your eyes through the steam coming off her coffee cup and just be, who could understand you (she probably couldn't, but this is something men like to project on to women) you feel the dam start to buckle and the river behind it start to surge and you don't want to break down crying in the coffee shop because that's not what people do and if you can't have love at least you can have dignity, or the appearance of dignity, or the delusion of the appearance of dignity, so you turn your face to the side, you hope and pray she doesn't try to draw your attention (generally safe on that count, old chum) and you put one fucking foot in front of the other and continue down your sad and barren blighted path. Forever alone.

  15. #15
    There's the door Spaceman Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as far as the hype that precedes the release of comic books' crossover events, the only ones to blame are its consummers, I mean at some point people oughta stop being gullible by buying into somthing they know will suck 9 out of 10 times, is spammed every other month, and ruins good stand-alone titles because ''muh shared universe''

    making profit is the only thing that drives corporations, so by default they will always take the easier route unless they're hard-pressed by the consummer to do otherwise, so whoever buys their products has the responsability to be conscious of what it's being fed and make their voice count with their wallets

    all it takes is an ounce of critical thinking, people are just lazy, it's easy to point the blame at corporations but it's not so clear-cut

    just for emphasis, right now the quality of television series is better than it's ever been (and in some cases rivaling feature films), but 12 or 15 years ago this wasn't the case, consummers made a difference by showing appreciation for shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, and more recently Breaking Bad, which paved the way and elevated the standard for many shows we enjoy nowadays -- corporate will always follow wherever the demand is
    I halfway agree.

    I would completely agree if humans weren't hard wired to not want to "miss out" or be excitable. The same thing that creates road warriors, people who buy up ammunition they don't need, and overeat causes a lot of the same behaviors we see when people fall to hype. Most people understand they're often being duped or when something is directly bad for them, but continue to fall for it because when they're given the idea they are making the decision they don't notice it as easily. Nowhere was that more evident than in video games or movies (many would argue food) where hype tends to make people forget their more critical thoughts. Excitement overwhelms us into ignoring some of our red flags. Despite how we joke about it: Most people aren't dumb. We need look no further than our fellow temeffians for an example of how hype can build some up, repel some, and leave a lot of people let down. Or how hype sometimes changes how they even perceive the end product. By no means are most temeffians dumb people.

    Comics are the same way. When, let's say Marvel (because nobody does it more), goes out of its way to advertise like crazy and try to build excitement the reader has an increased interest and attached names can really drive hype up before since advertisement plays directly on how humans interpret critical information and interest. This is compounded by the execs and selected leaked information generating interest amongst the influential, which in turn drives up hype and interest further. This is how hype starts, and since none of us are psychic only a few people who are just that cynical tend to not anticipate a purely awful time. It isn't by entire accident hype is generated.

    And that's not to say buyers have no say in it, but often enough a corporation pushes to normalize certain behavior and trends which rearranges how we feel we should buy stuff/interpret information and so we actually believe it gets better despite never actually seeing better. That's why Big Events in comics sells so well. Most people who just came off the last big event didn't really care for it, knowing full well another big event is coming, but will continue to buy since that Big Event will encompass the entirety of that imprint once again and the stories will make lesser sense without the larger series also being bought with the promise that mistakes and lessons are learned and improvements are being made. Brevoort comes out, talks about what made the last Big Event rough and talks about what is being redressed, which in turn drives interest and the cycle starts anew with select leaks. A method to keep comic book readers from simply quitting that imprint altogether? Mediocre and sometimes rewarding returns and promises of greater and more bold directions. Small deliveries sometimes returns more trust than should be. Because we know we can't simply disprove a company is already screwing something up, and the promise just has to sound good for interest to be peaked and some of their other products aren't that bad or are sometimes great. When a company has been known to do good and bad, we don't really have a way to accurately gauge what their products may be, and if they have our interest they very well may have the benefit of the doubt from us as well. And they know how to do this. This is the entire Gearbox Software method of doing things. Speaking of which, this is also how Aliens: Colonial Marines even made sales. Sheer lies. We also don't tend to "vote with our wallet," nor sometimes is even effective if just enough people continue to buy a product. And when it comes to hobbies, like religion, we tend to relapse if things don't change our way. We as humans tend to give in. And with comics? Comics have developed such a completionist and collector's mindset that it is damn near impossible for many readers to stop reading entire lines of comics since they need to finish them. At least to an arcs end.

    The best way to accomplish getting away with substandard performances through sales? Hyping it to high heaven. Because we just sometimes do not recognize when we are being duped, or like I said flat out ignore the warning signs if there's just enough confusion in ourselves to trigger a warning. So I don't place the blame solely on the consumer because the consumer is running solo against a campaign organized and built with tremendous amounts of time, effort, research, and man hours whose only interest is in manipulating how you feel about something. It isn't that the consumer shouldn't be smart or keeping an eye on things they're looking to plunk a lot of money down on, but buyer beware only works when you can basically see the product before you get it and not when the consumer works on the promises/displays of the product. Especially if the consumer is new to the type of product or just doesn't have the down time to get into the nitty gritty details. And sometimes that doesn't guarantee successful deflection. Even when it comes to comics I sometimes can't tell for sure when a series is going to be good, really good, garbage, or just sort of mediocre sometimes, and I have a pretty intricate knowledge of the internal functions and creators in that industry. Heck, even the bigger names in that industry can't be absolutely sure.

    Going back to Aliens: CM, a lot of critics and gamers were taken aback since the actual product was far different from what they were being offered. And you can't really blame the consumer for those sorts of things when they have to make the assumption what they see is what they get, and on the inside of the cherry scented chocolate box is anything but what was being advertised.

    I did want to talk about television for a moment since I have thoughts on that, but television is a whole other box of worms.

  16. #16
    ◤ wazzup Ozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    3,228
    jesus Mak, what d'you have to write an essay lol

    this is punishment for someone with a short attention span like myself

    I will read this later, maybe


  17. #17
    There's the door Spaceman Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    jesus Mak, what d'you have to write an essay lol

    this is punishment for someone with a short attention span like myself

    I will read it later lmao
    lol I actually blew a third out of there. Originally I also talked about television but I got way off track.

    But it's more I just have strong opinions about adverts and how they affect people.

    I got to work for the advertising side of my company once, and it was by far the worst job I was ever part of when I got to start sitting in on some of their stuff.

  18. #18
    VICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    6,880
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it doesn't ruin anything unless you blow your expectations out of proportion

    ''hype'' is only an indication of people's appreciation for a work's content, you either enjoy something or you don't

    also @VICE; you should know better than to post threads of this kind in the Theater, this goes in the main section smh
    bruh I know, was just thinking bout tv in general, nothing related to other hype-related things.

    Thanks to Myst~
    TV Club Interest Thread

  19. #19
    COV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    5,010
    All I can say is that I like Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad
    sigpic8970_3.gif

    I will Take Them All!

  20. #20
    There's the door Spaceman Makenzye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,009
    You say that in jest, right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •