Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hold for applause (◡‿◡✿) Nikamara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

why her
    huntress that is

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Assassin Game - SIGN UPS! click here!
    Nika's Fairy Tail Reading Log - click here!
    ʕᴥʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    watching this on tuesday

i'm holding tom holland to toby mcguire standards so he better not disappoint
    He exceeded McGuire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post

Thanks, mayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikamara View Post
    why her
    huntress that is
    When you watch the movie you'll see how it fit.

Hold for applause (◡‿◡✿) Nikamara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post

When you watch the movie you'll see how it fit.
    in that case I can't wait

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Assassin Game - SIGN UPS! click here!
    Nika's Fairy Tail Reading Log - click here!
    ʕᴥʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

Formerly named John Wick Mercantilist's Avatar
    Read the plot on wikipedia because I don't want to cash in on cookie-cutter bullshit
    Not worth watching IMO. Seems too safe and too-much-Marvel syndrome's hitting hard

I watched both of the Amazing Spider-Man, and I kind of want to watch this now, but alas, I've got no money so I need to wait for the torrents.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    He exceeded McGuire.
    wicked

Quote Originally Posted by Overhaul View Post
    I watched both of the Amazing Spider-Man, and I kind of want to watch this now, but alas, I've got no money so I need to wait for the torrents.
    I didn't really care for those films. The first one was okay and the second was a jumbled mess. This film was muuuuuuuch better.

Mak got me hyped now.

Alright, so my review of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Spoiler-free Review:

Great film. Acting was excellent, the action was spread out perfectly with humor and character moments sprinkled in at just the right spots. Loved the designs, loved the dialogue, loved the action. Great film. Would recommend. And I'll probably watch this again.

This was the Spider-Man promised in Civil War, and it delivered hard. I'm gonna toss it a 9/10 for me.

This review below will be PACKED with spoilers, so please don't read it if you haven't seen it.

First off, great film. It was fun, with action and humor all sprinkled out through the film so stretch of screentime dwells too long on any one subject.

Beginning? Fantastic. I really loved the whole "reporter/blogger/documentary" aspect of Spidey recording his time during Civil War. It came off as pretty genuine of a kid superhero getting to hang out with his own heroes and wanting to document it all. It was pretty fun and also gave a decent recap to where he his and how he got there without an origin story.

Origin story? Literally a few lines of dialogue with his friend. Well handled. "Did the spider bite hurt?" "Shut up!"

Acting was well done by Holland, Batalon (especially him), Harrier, Tomei, and definitely Keaton. All of them felt pretty great in their roles with maybe Harrier being the weakest but more likely due to what her character was in the movie as opposed to any talent on her behalf. Dunno. Never saw her in anything else, but she did a pretty good job I guess. It was well done enough it wasn't distracting or jarring from the rest of the cast.

This movie was also a comic fan's friend with shout outs to other comics, legendary Spider-Man scenes, and especially that super out of nowhere Huntress Easter Egg.

There was some good setup for future potential in these films. Ned, Peter's friend, is Ned Leeds the Hobgoblin. If you thought Glover was a throwaway criminal character, he is the Prowler in the comics (and has been moonlighting as Spider-Man in the current run). In fact, all of his Academic Decathalon friends are shoutouts to people he knew at some point or another, with Cindy especially being prominent as she's Silk in the comics.

So what did I like?

Well... Pretty much everything. This Spider-Man definitely came off as a brand new superhero with a bit of quirk and a drive to do more and be more. From how he tries to posture himself before a bust to his super hilarious interrogation sequence, it really all worked. You could see the character feels free as Spider-Man and confined as Peter Parker who only wants Spider-Man to be more. This extends to his confidence. He exudes some confidence in both personalities, but you can tell he's still faking a lot of it or blustering his way through things. This was most notable when he thought about using Spider-Man at a party and was trying to come up with lines to bolster his reputation as Peter Parker by trying to make up "cool lines" as Spider-Man.

The suit? Gotta say I'm still not a huge fan of the striping but it looked really good and when certain things come to light about it? It's just a blast. Tension was brilliantly handled in this film. You know he has to survive (as all heroes do) but in this one there's some legitimate tension. Not always just for him, but for the people around him. I'm thinking there's at least two scenes which really struck not only on the, "Oh shit!" meter, but on the, "This is Spider-Man's relation to us," way. When the deli he goes to gets decimated with his friend inside and he rushes in to save him? You actually worry about it, because you know Spidey himself is defined by disaster. And the ferry scene operates very similar to that. Obviously the monument scene was a huge one as we're watching Webs do his absolute best to try and scale something huge, and when he gets to the top we have a gripping moment of realizing that not only would we be terrified of that height ourselves, but it would make sense there would be ballistic glass that Spidey can't just kick through no problem. Thank goodness there was an ex-machina moment there I guess.

No, seriously. Karen was a fun as all get out character. "Should I turn on insta-kill mode?" "Would you stop it with the insta-kill?!"

Spidey's insistence on justice is also brilliantly handled. Especially in the last third of the film. When Peter is threatened by the Vulture, who happens to be Liz's father, and is told to go in and give Liz and good time and forget everything he's scene or the Vulture will kill everybody he knows? Peter hesitates as his dream girl is waiting to dance, but knows he has to don the mask and go after the Vulture. And then later one when the Vulture is in a fire, Peter throws himself into pull the guy out.

Going back to the costumes, while I did love the AI infused Spidey-Suit with it's insistence of "insta-kill" I have to say there was some real charm to Pete's homemade suit. It really felt like something any of us would try to make at home as kids. It doesn't feel manufactured, like he had someone just make it for him. The primary suit we know was made for him (as is obviously the Iron Spider, which looks more Spider-UK than anything else), but this suit feels like it was his. I loved its design, and why I was pissed off about something else that I won't mention here because it belongs in another thread.

I loved Peter's friend, Ned. He's us if we knew a superhero.

Oh, did I mention how I loved the callback to earlier Spidey comics with how Spidey leaves notes at some of his adventures? Because I loved that. A lot.

What did I not like?
    Some of the effects were...odd. Like with the "half mask/half face" in the water scene. You could almost see the outlines of whatever program the editors used.

I also didn't care for how easily Liz got together with Peter. She liked him all along? I get that it was necessary so Peter could face what really mattered and discovered where the Vulture was going, but it would've almost been nicer if Liz just turned Pete down after he flaked out twice on her. Hard.

The helicopter-ex-machina. I get that a helicopter would show up and probably point a gun at Spider-Man who was trying to break into a crumbling monument or something, despite him functioning on the Avengers and being seen with Stark, but it felt like it was put there just so Spidey could get the leverage necessary to break the window. I also thought it was weird he didn't crash the damn helicopter in the process. Fun scene, but it struck me as odd.

How nobody got hurt in the monument blast. Honestly that was a plot grenade if I've ever seen one.

How Peter gets away with basically designing Spidey stuff in class. Especially the chemistry lab.

What I'm not sure about?

Just the one thing I won't put in a spoiler: The Vulture. See, I was super hyped this wasn't going to be a Green Goblin movie. But somehow... sorta... This still felt like one with all the exotic weaponry and hovering flight harness. Granted, I think this Vulture was much better designed and threatening than the Goblin ever was in film, but I still got a bit of a feeling there. The reason I'm on the fence about this is because not only are the motives much different, but there's only so much you can do with flight based properties. It's not like the Vulture had pumpkin bombs. Just Chituari purple glowing ones.

All in all this was a great film, and it even looked good in 3D. I will admit some of the 3D actually had me moving my head around to try and look past a character in the film to see what was behind them, or even a piece of debris which I thought was propped in my way. So kudos, because generally 3D in live action sucks ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    Mak got me hyped now.
    I'd definitely recommend this film.

I forgot to add that the credits were actually really well done and the after credits were a stroke of genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink Spot View Post
    Gwen isn't his love interest here, Michelle is.

Just checked to see if they were going to use Flash or Eddie. They went with Flash but.....

Hotel Budaphest is a terrific movie and he was amazing. It is weird to see Flash as an indian tho. And yeah I had the question if the girl was Gwen (She wasnt focused but it screamed Gwen)
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

how was donald glovers cameo

Quote Originally Posted by sch View Post
    He appeared in two scenes, drives a shit car.

The movie was... "Cute" it doesnt give you "the feels" of the other spidermab (Andrew's) but this one was adorable to watch, how a little boy wants to show he can be more. I liked how the mixed the today's world (videoblogging, etc) in this. I gotta Keaten acting was and the plot twist got me like fffffufufufufufufufufufu.
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

It was good.

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cake View Post
    Hotel Budaphest is a terrific movie and he was amazing. It is weird to see Flash as an indian tho. And yeah I had the question if the girl was Gwen (She wasnt focused but it screamed Gwen)
    Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed The Grand Hotel Budapest a lot.

From this Petet Parker and Andrew's I guess I preffer Andrew's tbh I mean this one was adorable but maybe the other spiderman's movies had a better story.
    ʕᴥʔ
    My Blog

Retired Legend #3
    18/2/18

Great movie, doesn't quite have the tension like Baby Driver. But of the movies I've seen recently, certainly better than Wonderwoman and GOTG 2.

fairly good movie, villain was ok nothing ground breaking.

They did a good job of incorporating his superhero duties into his everyday life and his interactions with Stark were great.

"Can't you just be a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man?" Best line in the film for me. Can't wait for the sequel.

Homecoming > any other Spiderman. Maguire and Garfield are shhheeiiiiittt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sch View Post
    You wanna know the whole story or just a overview? Because while it was small, his role seems kinda important. Especially his "nephew"
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Honey, you know I love your vagina.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiRo View Post
    I must say i am baffled by the fact that someone would date Tifa, or that someone like Tifa is able to put a dude in a friendzone. Like are you really so depleted on the good looking girls? In my country no one would ever even look at her twice. We have 2/1 (Girl/Boy) ratio, and most of the girls are decent looking or hot. We have obese girls but they mostly die alone because even the ugly looking dudes can find a good looking girl if they are just not poor as fuck..
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    2:1 ratio and you still can't get any ass? Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber View Post
    Dammit I deleted that so I could be saved from your rebuttal.

I regret ever giving you the opportunity to be more right about anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    i used to drink mayonnaise as a kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Masakazu Chiba View Post
    What truth? The fact that you're an annoying dimwit? Most of your posts are cringe. Nothing worse than a cocky asshole who gets proven wrong and lies to save face. The fact that you have a gold bar pretty much exemplifies that rep is worthless. You are the face of awful modern day TMF posters. SpiRo back into whatever cave you crawled out of, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    Just because someone likes dick in their ass doesn't mean they're not your brother.

I enjoyed this movie