View Poll Results: Rate the Chapter

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/5

    0 0%
  • 2/5

    1 6.25%
  • 3/5

    8 50.00%
  • 4/5

    4 25.00%
  • 5/5

    3 18.75%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1. #21
    COV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    5,415
    @Great Potato; trust me I get you, but at this point, unless Chopper does have some super secret ace up his sleeve, then Monster Point is all he is capable of doing since that is his best.
    sigpic8970_3.gif

    I will Take Them All!

  2. #22
    I think there's a serious cognitive dissonance here between how we want to see One Piece being drawn out and how Oda writes his manga.

    See; those fights are supermemorable for us cause our lovable main characters went all out and the hype and delivery was real. It was very emotional.

    Now 2 years later it's all the same shit. But we forget that Oda is juggling a gazillion characters. This isn't Hunter X Hunter, where you have a base core of a few people that get action all the time.

    THis is Oda that wants to draw 100.000 different characters. And in the end none of them will make any emotional impact cause none of them are written in such a way that is emotionally satisfying AT ALL.

    I'm sorry to say guys, but I think the more we want the old One Piece back, the less we will receive.

    SOmetimes I think Oda is deliberately not giving us cool stuff.

    For example, he highlighted the speed of Carrot by NOT showing us her jumping at an insane speed to catch up?

    I think Oda is making it easy for himself by just showing a lot of those close up inzoom shots at strange angles and lots of different characters in choreographed settings.

    I don't feel like this manga has any fluidity anymore, it just feels like a lot of stillshots inbetween, and it feels like because Oda needs to weave all these different storylinese of different characters together so characters don't become obsolete.

    Lots of hyping up, lots of showing off of cool intro, but many of these characters can't have a true battle climax due to the insane amounts of characters.

    It's like you're constantly being teased by something cool, but in the end you're let down every single time.

    THis is in stark contrast with pre-timeskip where ALL the fighters got a good showing.

    I guess we just have to accept that Oda will only save those emotionally satisfying fights once or twice in a whole arc, and even then it seems lackluster.

    I can't get over it tbh. One Piece doesn't satisfy my needs anymore. lOL


    People think it's the alone of being forever alone that hurts the most, but that's not true. Everybody's alone sometimes, whether for periods when they're not dating anyone or just for a weekend while their spouse is at a conference. Alone is part of the human condition. It's the forever that pulls down the corners of your mouth just a little bit when you give someone a smile meant to indicate that everything's okay with you even though you want to scream that nothing's okay and never will be. It's the forever that tastes bitter in the back of your throat when you see a happy couple walking in the park or laughing in a restaurant. It's the forever that has you wide awake staring at your ceiling into the wee hours of the morning.Forever alone.
    There's an ongoing half-serious claim in our culture that men think about sex all the time. Every 17 seconds or so. That may be true for some guys but not a forever alone. After awhile you stop being able to think about sex, at least the way other people do. You can think about it abstractly, or when watching other people perform a stylized version of it alone in your room while you use your hand to joylessly complete a sad shadow of the biological imperative, but you stop being able to imagine sex as something you could be a part of. You see a woman in the springtime, her midriff peeking out from between the soft cotton of a shirt and the rougher waist of a pair of jeans. You start to imagine her naked, constructing a fantasy in detail, the way her breasts would sit against her chest, the soft down or absence thereof on her pubic area, and then you try to insert yourself into her presence and the fantasy crumbles to dust under the weight of its own absurdity. You know there's no chain of events, no course of actions, that could lead to that ill defined imaginary room where the two of you would meet in an act of carnal congress. There's no way to there from where you are, it's not even an alternate universe, it's an inconceivable one. It's like trying to imagine a world where everything else is the same except elephants float around like helium balloons and have to be anchored by their trunks or they'll float away. An inherently absurd thought. That's the idea of you and her being intimate. So you look away from that tiny sliver of skin, trying to keep your face from contorting in pain and bitterness. Where other men might smile at her you don't, because your smile sucks, and you suck. Forever alone.
    Eventually you don't even bother to build the image only to have it blow it away like a sand painting in a tornado. You imagine lesser things. The brush of a cool, soft, feminine hand against yours. Mundane couple bullshit like eating pancakes on a Sunday morning or watching a movie or just sharing your day with someone who gives a fuck and is not your mother. The other party in these pathetic little domestic tableaus is ill defined in your mind, because if you imagined her clearly enough to make her realistic then you know she wouldn't want you. And even with this feminine blur, this placeholder, this blurry silhouette of nothingness you project your emotions onto, the person she's with isn't really you. It's a better version of you, a thinner less obnoxious version who will control his temper before saying something cutting, who doesn't geek out and talk too much, who is free from the flaws who make you who you are and assure that nobody else will ever want to share their life with that person. Then you realize that you're fantasizing about an Archie Comics version of yourself making tomato soup for an undefined feminine projection blob, and you realize that even the part of you that creates these images doesn't want to be with you and can't imagine anyone who might. Forever alone.
    Around you the world stays mostly the same. People fall in love, hit milestones, get married, have kids. You're even jealous of the divorcees because you know that this is just a bump in the road for them, part of their journey. You're still at the starting line watching them recede, wanting to chase them and catch up, knowing you never will. But while the world is almost static, you are aging. Moving through your life alone. You start to get bitter at the milestones you've missed and the chances you'll never have. You see the graying of your hair and the years piling on like rust eating at the hull of a decommissioned ship and you realize that your opportunity for young love is already past. Even if you got it together and got in the game you'd just have a shot at middle aged love. It doesn't matter if you think women age like a fine wine, what wine connoisseur wants to live his life without ever tasting the shocking astringency of the harsh tanins of youth. Even if that's not your thing you don't want to cut it off forever. But you have. You won't even have memories of those very good years, as the song says, to keep you warm as you slide towards your dotage. All you have is your bursting store room of regrets and bitterness, and you can always cram in more. And you know that that rusty battleship will some day have a hole in its hull and be fixable, good for nothing more than salvage scrap. You add up the time it would take to lose the weight, get your teeth fixed, figure out your professional career, the time until you can smile at that woman in the coffee shop with confidence rather than the stomach sickness of self hate, and you realize it all adds up to a very big number. Everyone thinks of themselves as eternally 22 but at some point you are forced to admit that you are 37 and half your life is over and the back nine of the remaining half is not a time when people finally get that whole dating thing right. If the window is not closed its halfway there and sliding fast. Forever alone.
    All this breeds desperation and depression so you shove it back because you need to function, you need to keep eating and staying warm, you can't just stop and feel. But your dam is fragile and it leaks. And when you see that girl whose hand you want to brush against, who could sit with you looking into your eyes through the steam coming off her coffee cup and just be, who could understand you (she probably couldn't, but this is something men like to project on to women) you feel the dam start to buckle and the river behind it start to surge and you don't want to break down crying in the coffee shop because that's not what people do and if you can't have love at least you can have dignity, or the appearance of dignity, or the delusion of the appearance of dignity, so you turn your face to the side, you hope and pray she doesn't try to draw your attention (generally safe on that count, old chum) and you put one fucking foot in front of the other and continue down your sad and barren blighted path. Forever alone.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by COV View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Great Potato; trust me I get you, but at this point, unless Chopper does have some super secret ace up his sleeve, then Monster Point is all he is capable of doing since that is his best.
    It's not all he's capable of doing, he has several other forms to get the job done with and there were occasions where it made a lot more sense to not use Monster Point. He could have taken Dosun without it which would have been much safer since he wouldn't have then been incapacitated in the middle of a War Zone, he used it twice to stall even though he has a form called guard point that doesn't run on a time-limit.

    Look at Zoro with Asura, it's his strongest form but he hasn't even busted it out post-timeskip, and Luffy wouldn't end up using Gear 4th until late into the fight with Doflamingo on Dressrosa. That's how Monster Point should be treated, it should be held off until the big guns where he's really forced into using it, not used to deal with every nobody he comes across.

  4. #24
    Murim-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Montreal, CA
    Posts
    777
    I wish Chopper woul've learned Rokushiki during the timeskip instead of just spamming monster point. Rokushiki was supposed to work very well for Zoan df user.
    I miss the old chopper that would struggle and try to dodge situations, now it's juste monster point and smash.

  5. #25
    Holy shit loved this chapter

  6. #26
    Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bar Eden Hall
    Posts
    1,252
    Not a great chapter. What's the point of the new characters? However, I can't wait to see what happens next!!!!!!!! *^* Will Brook become part of Big Mom's collection? And wtf happened to Sanji's sister? *excited*


    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

  7. #27
    Ichiryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    The Parliaments
    Posts
    16,552
    I'm just glad that monster point was a little bit monsterlike again this chapter, not that oh i learned how to control my monster point, so I look more like a big friendly bear rather than a savage monstergod incarnation of a deer.

    Also to whoever said that Carrot had an AoE attack I didn't see one, aside from her knocking this hot soup thingy over the enemies and then using that soup as a conducting thingy by using her electric ability.




    The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

  8. #28
    They're racing against time GP. Why would Chopper think about taking out the enemy while looking cool? MP was done because it was the most efficient. Carrot paralyzes the enemies and Chopper takes them out by suplexing the Croc in MP.

  9. #29
    I loved this chap. The only irritating thing is smoothie not doing anything.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're racing against time GP. Why would Chopper think about taking out the enemy while looking cool? MP was done because it was the most efficient. Carrot paralyzes the enemies and Chopper takes them out by suplexing the Croc in MP.
    If Monster Point makes all of his other forms obsolete then it ruins what made Chopper interesting in the first place, if the form is his ultimate trump card then he shouldn't have Chopper keep busting it out in situations that don't call for it, he doesn't do that with the other Strawhats. He didn't have Luffy whip out Gear 4th to clobber Hodi, Caesar, and Chinjao into paste. He didn't have Zoro whip out Asura to end Hyouzou, Monet, and Pica instantly. For a form to be special and resonate with the readers it has to be treated like such, he used to understand that for Chopper, but now he just hulks out whenever there's danger. He uses Monster Point even when its not the most efficient thing to use.

  11. #31
    Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bar Eden Hall
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Monster Point makes all of his other forms obsolete then it ruins what made Chopper interesting in the first place, if the form is his ultimate trump card then he shouldn't have Chopper keep busting it out in situations that don't call for it, he doesn't do that with the other Strawhats. He didn't have Luffy whip out Gear 4th to clobber Hodi, Caesar, and Chinjao into paste. He didn't have Zoro whip out Asura to end Hyouzou, Monet, and Pica instantly. For a form to be special and resonate with the readers it has to be treated like such, he used to understand that for Chopper, but now he just hulks out whenever there's danger. He uses Monster Point even when its not the most efficient thing to use.
    I agree with you GP. The impact of monster point has been wearing off. Also, I want to see him use arm point and jumping point more.


    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikamara View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with you GP. The impact of monster point has been wearing off. Also, I want to see him use arm point and jumping point more.
    Arm and jumping point don't exist anymore, he combined them into Kung Fu point.


  13. #33
    Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Bar Eden Hall
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arm and jumping point don't exist anymore, he combined them into Kung Fu point.

    Well I completely forgot that XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. <.< I want them back! Arm point and jumping point were super cool. Kung Fu Point does not have the same visual impact.


    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's lame and he doesn't even save it for the powerful foes, it would be like if Luffy started every fight by going Gear 4th even if he was facing someone he could handle in Gear 2nd.

    -He used Monster Point on Dosun, one of Hodi's garbage fishman that he could already match in just Heavy Point alone.
    -He used Monster Point on drugged out kids to prevent them from going through a door, when he has the much more logical Guard Point that isn't stuck on a time limit.
    -He used Monster Point on Brulee and got captured off-panel.
    -He used Monster Point on the Crocodile when it was clear overkill.
    -Franky whips out Monster Point the second he was in Chopper's body.

    Oda has removed everything that once made Chopper interesting, taking away his unique fighting style is just the final nail in the coffin. No longer are we seeing tactical uses of Chopper's various and creative forms and the great fight choreography that could be done blending them all together into one varied package, instead all we see is him popping a rumble ball and hulking out.

    Not only has it essentially made all of his other forms redundant, but its taken all of the impact out of the Monster Point itself. It used to be the form he would be forced into as a last resort when shit got real, it was a form that left a strong impression, now its his first move to pull out in battle and none of it resonates with the readers who have been watching him bust this out every time he's in combat.
    I empathise with you fully

    Same thing is happening with Luffy's G2/G3/G4 and will likely get worse

  15. #35
    Smoothie desk level confirmed, bitch couldn't even break down a wall

    The pedro vs tamago moment was incredible, surprised people aren't mentioning it.

  16. #36
    DoflaMihawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    28,400
    Yeah, Pedro joining seems pretty unlikely unless he gets those 50 years back somehow.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Monster Point makes all of his other forms obsolete then it ruins what made Chopper interesting in the first place, if the form is his ultimate trump card then he shouldn't have Chopper keep busting it out in situations that don't call for it, he doesn't do that with the other Strawhats. He didn't have Luffy whip out Gear 4th to clobber Hodi, Caesar, and Chinjao into paste. He didn't have Zoro whip out Asura to end Hyouzou, Monet, and Pica instantly. For a form to be special and resonate with the readers it has to be treated like such, he used to understand that for Chopper, but now he just hulks out whenever there's danger. He uses Monster Point even when its not the most efficient thing to use.
    For all the other forms, there's a time and place for everything. Chopper used the correct form for taking out 3 mid boss characters in a tight space. It was the most efficient thing to use so they wouldn't waste more energy being outnumbered. It was an all-or-nothing situation. You've seen Chopper use it once Pre TS and it was just to show off. Right now was the right time. You don't use Kung Fu or Walk to decide a situation like this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    You depend on ingenuity if you had time. They didn't have the luxury of waiting. Chopper's trump card is MP. They had to take them out before they could react fast enough.

  18. #38
    I think Chopper only went for MP here is because Oda just liked the visual of Monster Chopper slamming a giant crocodile on the ground. But to echo the complaints about Chopper overusing MP, I have to agree. Hopefully he gets a full fight using his other points later in this arc, though considering Oda's track record with this kind of stuff post-skip, I wouldn't hold my breath for one.

    Anyway, I'd say that this chapter was a bit weaker than the past few, but still enjoyable none the less. I hope we get a good fight between Pedro and Tamago, as I'm liking them both more and more.

  19. #39
    Master Mirror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,507
    Yeah, this chapter kind of kills the theory that Pedro is spy of Kaidou, but we will see.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Jack > Smoothie confirmed again?

  20. #40
    Master Mirror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,507
    Also, was Oda hinting Eggplant Df?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •