8 18.18%
  • 9/10

3 6.82%
  • 10/10

12 27.27%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Toriko will never get a 10 from me just because of the existence of Komatshit.
    If he had just stopped crying for once and actually learnt how to swing that knife of his he could've been a decent character.

Quote Originally Posted by DreXel View Post
    haha ...
    well, I just think its overrated a bit, or tbf it's already on my top ten personally, the only manga i gaved more than 9 was kingdom anyways.
    will read it again after the exams. Hope I join the so-called Torkio club after that, who knows.
    once again a red rep from a Toriko maniac.
    Well I didn't neg you, but I can't agree with what you've said for the same reason that Ichi stated. Not linking Toriko for the facts that things got really big really fast is like not liking ice cream for being cold and sweet. That's kinda the point.

i would have given it a 9 if it's before cooking fest, afterwards it went downhill..

disappointed a lot in gourment world arc if i compare it to the first part of the series, but it's still enjoyable.

the very last part's quality is pretty sad though imo...

Still give it a 7 since it's still a good read

8/10

If only it had a better main cast.I didn't give a fuck about any of them.Toriko was good at the start but turned into a faggot around Cooking Festival.

btw, what happened to the series anyway?

it looks great, but somehow the ending seems rushed.. is it axed because it's not popular enough or what?

WSJ being dicks.
    It doesn't seem rushed, it is rushed. News, Atom and Earth skipped, the 4HK completely forgotten, as if they do not exist. Space journey completely in the dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    Well, I'm fine with you thinking it's overrated, since that's just an opinion. but giving it a low rating for it being something you didn't expect it to be even though it's that kind of series seems off to me.
    what ... a pain ... in the ass saying that i hate it cuz it didn't go as i expected...
    but just for zentos, i'll go ahead and say okay, thanks for your comment, i know it means a lot to ya but i would appreciate if you respect my judgement, and i don't dislike Toriko in the least, 6 ain't bad from my perspective, i will re-read it later, and just fri.

It's hard to rate as a whole, but as a shounen, I would rate it 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post
    btw, what happened to the series anyway?

it looks great, but somehow the ending seems rushed.. is it axed because it's not popular enough or what?
    Yes. It was not that popular in Japan, so it got rushed

what ... a pain ... in the ass saying that i hate it cuz it didn't go as i expected...
    but just for zentos, i'll go ahead and say okay, thanks for your comment, i know it means a lot to ya but i would appreciate if you respect my judgement, and i don't dislike Toriko in the least, 6 ain't bad from my perspective, i will re-read it later, and just fri.
    I'm just saying, not liking a battle manga for it's overblown battles is like not liking ice cream for being sweet and cold.
    It's completely fine for you to not like Toriko.

What are your favourite manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    A lot of the story got skipped(like the capture of Earth, Atom and News) and many characters got left behind(like Coco, Sanji and Zebra) because the story got rushed.
    Like you said it, we even had very strong hints for a space arc, but we never got it.

It's all WSJ's fault, I'll never forgive them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    The series was a straight 10 up until the Cooking Festival. Like it was almost perfect.

Stupid WSJ.
    I like Shima as much as the next guy but it's not correct to blame everything on WSJ. He did some rushing even when the time skip began like when Toriko was reteriving Komatsu which was later shown in the ANOTHER arc but it wasn't satisfying. I think it was only a couple pages and it could've been a reterival arc then we could've gotten the billion bird arc.

I think Toriko is deserving of an 8. It was very creative and did world building well all through out. There were major skips during the final year but it shouldn't diminish the rating since Toriko brought a lot of good and such a rich world. It's a shame that Toriko could've been like a 10 had it not skipped so I agree there or at least a 9.

The heavenly kings could've used development/flashbacks and I'm not sure if Shima wanted to show their flashbacks during the NEWS-GOD arcs.

Even with the light speed rushing, it still brought entertaining chapters which is something not a lot of series can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    Toriko will never get a 10 from me just because of the existence of Komatshit.
    Komatsu is one of the most developed characters though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luffee View Post

NOPE
    Yes...Toriko is a lot better.
    Last edited by Gift; 05-01-2017 at 05:17 PM.

@Gift;
    Well, there wasn't much left for the retrieval, we've seen it all. He went up to Midora, shown his resolve and continued his training with Komatsu. I don't really need another 10 chapters of him getting to Midora and having a tearful reunion.

That being said, Air and Pair were still extremely good, but after that everything(except the fights) went to the shitter. We should have had 3 more arcs, each dedicated to one of the other HKs and the retrieval of an ingredient. Maybe not even full blown arcs, but at the very least 10-15 chapters of growth for them, as well as a flash back and the very capturing of the menu items.

Even after all that, there was plenty of room for a space arc and more.

It really is a shame, Shima has actually shown us that he had things in mind but did not get the means to execute them. Maybe it's not 100% WSJ's fault, but they are certainly the ones who "contributed" most to it.

@Zentos;
    thnx
    that would be KINGDOM - 9.25/10
    and lol, i don't dislike toriko, never did ...

@Zentos;
    thnx
    that would be KINGDOM - 9.25/10
    and lol, i don't dislike toriko, never did ...
    I know, just saying.
    Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Yes...Toriko is a lot better.

DBZ is an iconic series that influenced several others. Was a a trendsetter and one of the most unique things in not just anime but tv shows in general. Toriko is just another series that didn't even see completion because it wasn't good enough.

I agree that Toriko is incomparably better than DragonBall.

I also think that the order to rush things started well before the last few weeks of the series. Maybe even as early as the Cooking Festival. At the very least, I think WSJ started clamping down on Shima during that time.

I wonder if his history has anything to do with why the series never achieved much popularity?

Over half the series skipped with literally none of the characters completing their story arcs and character arcs.

"Infinitely better than DBZ"

@Pimp of Pimps; If I remember correctly, Toriko wasn't even in top 40 in ranking of sales. It wasn't that popular in Japan, so WSJ wanted to finish this series as fast as possible. The same problem was with Bleach, however this series was 14th.

DBZ is an iconic series that influenced several others.
    That's as far as DBZ goes. It was one of the first to hit it big and it created a path for others to follow. Everything else falls short when compared to other manga. Hence why I couldn't even bring myself to finish DBZ, dropped it on the episode when Buu was about to hatch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jörmungandr View Post
    @Pimp of Pimps; If I remember correctly, Toriko wasn't even in top 40 in ranking of sales. It wasn't that popular in Japan, so WSJ wanted to finish this series as fast as possible. The same problem was with Bleach, however this series was 14th.
    Japs and their lust for lolis and shotas.

@Featherine;
    Explain yourself.

Over half the series skipped with literally none of the characters completing their story arcs and character arcs.

"Infinitely better than DBZ"

DB is extremely iconic and doesn't make the mistake of taking itself seriously. Doesn't make it an amazing series though. Toriko had both better storytelling and worldbuilding.

DB lacked a lot when it came to really good storytelling or world building. It was also pretty repetitive.

I love DB as much as the next guy, but the main thing it has going to it is the nostalgia factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    @Gift;
    Well, there wasn't much left for the retrieval, we've seen it all. He went up to Midora, shown his resolve and continued his training with Komatsu. I don't really need another 10 chapters of him getting to Midora and having a tearful reunion.

That being said, Air and Pair were still extremely good, but after that everything(except the fights) went to the shitter. We should have had 3 more arcs, each dedicated to one of the other HKs and the retrieval of an ingredient. Maybe not even full blown arcs, but at the very least 10-15 chapters of growth for them, as well as a flash back and the very capturing of the menu items.

Even after all that, there was plenty of room for a space arc and more.

It really is a shame, Shima has actually shown us that he had things in mind but did not get the means to execute them. Maybe it's not 100% WSJ's fault, but they are certainly the ones who "contributed" most to it.
    It just felt rushed and there was already setup for an arc before the timeskip so why skip out?

GOD arc was still fun and the fights were nice and I liked the clossal fights. He did the best he can with the rushing but yeah could've been a lot better had there not been a lot of skipping. I wasn't saying it's all Shima's fault and yeah WSJ is more to blame but what I was saying is that it's not all their fault.

DBZ is an iconic series that influenced several others. Was a a trendsetter and one of the most unique things in not just anime but tv shows in general. Toriko is just another series that didn't even see completion because it wasn't good enough.
    What does the series legacy have to do with this? I don't care about their success when I'm comparing series with each other. DBZ/Dragon Ball is like a 6 for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    I agree that Toriko is incomparably better than DragonBall.

I also think that the order to rush things started well before the last few weeks of the series. Maybe even as early as the Cooking Festival. At the very least, I think WSJ started clamping down on Shima during that time.

I wonder if his history has anything to do with why the series never achieved much popularity?
    IMO the big rushing started after Yuda's cooking match in blue grill. Which makes sense since that was around a year before Toriko ended so I would assume they gave Shima a heads up to finish his series and gave him 1 year to work with.

The series did reach popularity and it still sold pretty well even after the anime ended. It's just that it declined a lot after the skipping with Yuda's match.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörmungandr View Post
    2014 - 31st
    2015 - 42nd
    2016 - ?