• 8/10

8 18.18%
  • 9/10

3 6.82%
  • 10/10

12 27.27%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @Luffee;
    Need to go, I'll watch it later. I doubt dub would make it better, I find them atrocious.

@Luffee;
    First video doesn't work.

As for the second, I'm gonna have to repeat myself; atrocious. It's not, however, entirely the dubs fault, the scene is just shit. I don't watch anime because of shit like that. That's 5min of my life gone when nothing happened. That's why I prefer manga.

I miss the music, voicing and the general feel you get from anime, but mostly it's not worth it, for me. A dub making it all the more worse.

Hey, at least you tried.

i prefer english dub for db as well.

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

Quote Originally Posted by Luffee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DBZ didn't hit it big or become iconic just randomly out of nowhere. It took fighting to a whole new level with large scale space battles, transformations, powerlevels, fusions, energy beams and martial arts tournaments with extremely larger than life and relatable characters. And it's direct influence can be seen in several other series including Toriko that borrowed from it.
    It's just battles. The fights themselves aren't that great and are repetitive.

DB has infinitely better characters and story(or plot Atleast). World building I'll get to in a sec. You were asking a few posts ago why Toriko didn't become very popular. That's exactly the reason why. Toriko's main cast was extremely dull, underdeveloped and the plot
    from arc to arc was much dull as well.
    Huh. DB had better characters?

Lol. By your logic then Toriko's main cast would've scored poorly on the popularity polls which was never the case. The series wouldn't have hit 100 chapters either if that was the case.

I mean when you compare characters like Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Trunks to the 4hk or Komtasu, you can see the level of difference in quality. Vegeta has one of the longest character arcs in the series where we see him go from villain to antihero to hero. We discover his past. We see his relationship develop with Goku, his son and his family and his conflict with his saiyan pride. Then you got Gohan. Another character with a character arc spanning multiple arcs. We see him from a kid to literally the saviour of the series. We see relationships develop between him and piccolo. I can go on about other characters such as Piccolo, trunks etc as well.
    Vegeta is probably the best out of the bunch you mentioned and even then his character cannot hold a candle to the development/characterization of Midora. Midora's was written on a higher tier than any of DB characters. Komatsu's development literally spans throughout the entirety of the series.

In comparison you have the 4hk and Komatsu probably one of the worst manga characters ever. I remember when Coco was first introduced, he was one of my first favourite characters. But as the series progressed I stopped caring because shims literally made him irrelevant. He was actually supposed to be relevant but we never saw him do anything or have any character progression. The only thing that developed was the of his poison.
    What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Worst manga characters ever? You must be exaggerating or haven't paid attention. Komatsu is one of the most developed characters in the series. It's funny how the bitch characters like Komatsu or Usopp from One Piece get hate (Komatsu more so than Usopp) but end up being one of the most developed characters in their respective series. I'll list highlights or some off the top of my head

Komatsu's development (reinforced again during the ANOTHER arc flashbacks too)

-Sunny's development during his fight with Tommyrod. He showed respect to someone that he finds as disgusting.
    -Toriko's development with him realizing he needs Komatsu, his training during the temple arc (learning to control his anger and emotions) & his realizing his dream.

Coco/Zebra may or may not gotten development but it's been a long time since I read Toriko's earlier arcs. Coco is by no means irrelevant. That's absurd.

-Helped with the meteor garlic arc
    -Saved Komatsu's life during the cooking festival
    -Saved the heavenly king's lives during the Bambina encounter
    -Saw through Kaka's plans
    -Learned how to do the monkey dance, which enabled the HK's to get PAIR.

Coco is probably one of the most relevant HK's.

What toriko had was an interesting overarching story of the series. This is where his overall wolrdbuilding gets praise as well. But The actual story from arc to arc was pretty one dimensional and dull. And guess what? For all that world building and all that story, we never really even got to explore the world or see the overall plot unfold properly. The series didn't have good enough characters(apart from disciples) to carry it's story and good enough plot for individual arcs. Cooking fest was the first time I was personally pulled into an arc's plot.
    Toriko was a good character. He wasn't bad but wasn't amazing like the disciples. Trust me, if the characters are as bad as you claim they are then it would've been not worth reading since they're like focused on 90% of the time. How was story one dimensional? And how is DB's not one dimensional?

In comparison DBZ had much more relatable, memorable and effective protagonists and antagonists. I mean I'm not even saying it's the best thing ever. DBZ has its flaws as well. But to brush it off as just an iconic without acknowledging why it was that iconic in the first place is just under rating the series. When it comes to it, DB had better characters, better plot, was more unique, transcending and above effective at what it did. Toriko on the other hand indisputably never reached its full potential as half of the series was skipped, rushed and trimmed down to a few chapters. And the reason why that happened is because in my opinion the characters and arc to arc plot wasn't good enough.
    Purely subjective but I found Toriko far more relatable. Who can't relate to the feeling of having a meal with your friends/family? Or a meal meaning a lot to you? I know I won't speak for myself here but Toriko gave me more appreciation towards food. Toriko covered far more better themes. Toriko had superior world building. Toriko had superior story-telling (foreshadowing, unpredictable events, narrations, etc.), Toriko had a superior cast of characters & IMO Toriko had superior fights.

Toriko never reached it's full potential, therefore it wasn't good enough isn't good logic. You're undermining the world building of literally the entirety of the first act. There was plenty of world building in gourmet world act too (area 8, area 7, area 6, multiverses and literally the entire last chapter with the Blue Nitro history). Remember, world building isn't only just about exploring areas but what builds upon the verse of the series. So the soul world, NEO's past, PANGEA, Multiverse, formation of the Toriko world, gourmet cells, etc are all incredible forms of world building. DB doesn't really have much to brag about in comparison to Toriko.

The second act of Toriko had some of the best chapters in the entire series. Midora's full course was packed with a lot of feels and ended up being great development for him. The wedding was an amazing send off to the last chapter and it was genius of Shima to include the entire journey. That sort of writing quality isn't present at all in DB.

So yeah, Toriko as a series is vastly superior.
    Last edited by Gift; 05-02-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    It's just battles. The fights themselves aren't that great and are repetitive.

So your own logic is that Toriko's characters ranked high in popularity polls so therefore they are great but DBZ the quintessential fighting series that has fighting as its main theme doesn't have great fights even though it's literally one of the most popular fighting shows ever?

Anyway, the point here was that DBZ is influential exactly because of its large scale fighting battles taken to next level with larger than life characters. A lot of its tropes influenced several popular fighting series. This is not a matter of opinion. This is FACT. Doesn't mean everyone has to like it. But denying its influence and saying that it had nothing to offer besides being popular is what I was refuting in that specific post.

Huh. DB had better characters?

Lol. By your logic then Toriko's main cast would've scored poorly on the popularity polls which was never the case. The series wouldn't have hit 100 chapters either if that was the case.

Toriko is a long series. Not a 13 episode anime. Let me list out the positives of the series for you. It had a great setting, great action, great world building potential, great art and the characters had fairly good introductions as well. It's why I said that Coco WAS one of my favourite characters. The series did show great potential. But the reason it couldn't carry on all of that potential is because of lack of good written characters, lack of character progression and lack of top tier arcs.

Vegeta is probably the best out of the bunch you mentioned and even then his character cannot hold a candle to the development/characterization of Midora. Midora's was written on a higher tier than any of DB characters. Komatsu's development literally spans throughout the entirety of the series.

The fact that you had to bring up midora literally kills your argument lol. When was the first chapter when we caught a glimpse of Midora? What was the chapter when we actually saw him do anything and get his backstory? Exactly, he didn't get focus until something like 200 chapters into the series. And he was only around for a short time.

And the funny thing is that I'm not really gonna dispute how good Midora is. He's my favourite char in the series and easily Toriko's best. I'm not gonna say he's better than DBZ chars but I'm not gonna say he's worse either. But Midora isn't even in the series for more than half of the series lol. He's not the backbone of the series. It's like if all the strawhats were completely bad chars and someone said that op had better characters simply because Mihawk who rarely appears turns out be a great character in ch.500 lol.

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Worst manga characters ever? You must be exaggerating or haven't paid attention. Komatsu is one of the most developed characters in the series. It's funny how the bitch characters like Komatsu or Usopp from One Piece get hate (Komatsu more so than Usopp) but end up being one of the most developed characters in their respective series. I'll list highlights or some off the top of my head

Komatsu's development (reinforced again during the ANOTHER arc flashbacks too)

-Sunny's development during his fight with Tommyrod. He showed respect to someone that he finds as disgusting.
    -Toriko's development with him realizing he needs Komatsu, his training during the temple arc (learning to control his anger and emotions) & his realizing his dream.

Coco/Zebra may or may not gotten development but it's been a long time since I read Toriko's earlier arcs. Coco is by no means irrelevant. That's absurd.

-Helped with the meteor garlic arc
    -Saved Komatsu's life during the cooking festival
    -Saved the heavenly king's lives during the Bambina encounter
    -Saw through Kaka's plans
    -Learned how to do the monkey dance, which enabled the HK's to get PAIR.

Coco is probably one of the most relevant HK's.

Toriko was a good character. He wasn't bad but wasn't amazing like the disciples. Trust me, if the characters are as bad as you claim they are then it would've been not worth reading since they're like focused on 90% of the time. How was story one dimensional? And how is DB's not one dimensional

Yes Komatsu is literally one of the worst chars ever. I'm not one to dislike "bitch" characters because ussop is actually my 2nd fav Strawhat. Komatsu on the other hand almost singlehandedly made me drop the series at one point. This dude is literally a walking talking plot device. Always unnessarily crying. His literally the best chef in the series because fuck everyone else that's why. There's no logic to how good he is, he just is. He just happens to find a solution to every cooking mystery because he is lolkomatsu and because he is food luck on steroids for unexplainable reason. Everyone's happens to like him and he can talk so no wrong. More panel time or even bad character development isn't nessecarily a good thing.

The 4hk making cameo appearances here and there and doing the equivalent of passing around senzu beans in DBZ is not some great character defining moment. It doesn't compare to Piccolo taking over his enemy's son, teaching him and sacrificing himself for him during saiyan saga. It doesn't compare to Piccolo becoming the strongest Z Warrior twice in the series and challenging frieza toe to toe and making him transform which is a huge deal at the time or fighting toe to to toe with 17. It doesn't compare to Gohan who was just little kid during saiyan that froze during midbattle and eventually grew strong enough to challenge the strongest android and beat him.

Purely subjective but I found Toriko far more relatable. Who can't relate to the feeling of having a meal with your friends/family? Or a meal meaning a lot to you? I know I won't speak for myself here but Toriko gave me more appreciation towards food. Toriko covered far more better themes. Toriko had superior world building. Toriko had superior story-telling (foreshadowing, unpredictable events, narrations, etc.), Toriko had a superior cast of characters & IMO Toriko had superior fights.

Toriko never reached it's full potential, therefore it wasn't good enough isn't good logic. You're undermining the world building of literally the entirety of the first act. There was plenty of world building in gourmet world act too (area 8, area 7, area 6, multiverses and literally the entire last chapter with the Blue Nitro history). Remember, world building isn't only just about exploring areas but what builds upon the verse of the series. So the soul world, NEO's past, PANGEA, Multiverse, formation of the Toriko world, gourmet cells, etc are all incredible forms of world building. DB doesn't really have much to brag about in comparison to Toriko.

The second act of Toriko had some of the best chapters in the entire series. Midora's full course was packed with a lot of feels and ended up being great development for him. The wedding was an amazing send off to the last chapter and it was genius of Shima to include the entire journey. That sort of writing quality isn't present at all in DB.

So yeah, Toriko as a series is vastly superior.

Yes, Piccolo's mentor/student, brotherly relationship with Gohan is more relatable to me. Vegeta's struggle with his pride, his past, his rivalry with Goku and quest to surpass someone who he inherently considers inferior and eventually coming to terms with it is more relatable. Vegeta accepting his son and becoming a family man is more relatable. Gohan's fear as a kid of someone much bigger and badder and eventually overcoming that fear throughout the series and becoming the strongest is more relatable. Trunks getting to know his father that never was is more relatable.

On the other hand you the 4hk's boner for Komatsu which is quite awkward at times and I cant relate to that lol. The disciples had much better defined relationships and we actually knew more about them and their interactions than we did about 4hk.

Eating meals is not something that makes me know the character better or root for them more.

As for the rest of the parts you mentioned here, for me DBZ has better characters, better humour, better plot, much better moments. It's much more complete.

Toriko for all good it has, also has huge negatives as well. The fact that fact part 2 was entirely skipped being one of them. You chose to ignore this huge flaw but it doesn't change the fact that it's there. Toriko's strongest points being it's world and overarching story were incomplete, rushed and trimmed down. And in a lot of other departments DBZ is much better in my eyes. If The lolwedding at the end of series is something that you constitute as better writing then I don't know what to say. It's a makeshift rushed and forgettable ending. The existence of ideas such as soul world or other ideas doesn't mean much when they are not well executed and just thrown together. DB as a series is more effective at what it does.

I've said my piece on this. We'll have to agree to disagree on this matter.

7/10

Was pretty enjoyable, had nice ability concepts and world building but dislike how everyone was literally gay for Komatsu.

Toriko got married to Ren (I think that's her name, also very annoying), just because, yet he seemed to care a whole lot more for Komatsu.

Also didn't like how most of the major characters at the end literally became irrelevant.
    Last edited by Reality; 05-02-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Bigger world doesn't mean better world building.

7/10

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    ?

fuq

Quote Originally Posted by Reality View Post
    7/10

Was pretty enjoyable, had nice ability concepts and world building but dislike how everyone was literally gay for Komatsu.

Toriko got married to Ren (I think that's her name, also very annoying), just because, yet he seemed to care a whole lot more for Komatsu.

Also didn't like how most of the major characters at the end literally became irrelevant.
    It was implied that he married Rin because she helped him when he got depressed after his fight with Starjun.