Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings

Quote Originally Posted by Featherine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welcome to TMF

you read comics?
    @Makenzye;
    Damn you!

What would it take for you to read comics, @Zentos;?

And Welcome to TMF

Welcome.

@Makenzye;

Take my exams for me. Without failing, obviously.

Why would you like me to read them anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Zentos View Post
    @Makenzye;

Take my exams for me. Without failing, obviously.

Why would you like me to read them anyway?
    Everybody should enjoy comics.

Everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Everybody should enjoy comics.

Everybody.
    So many things, so little time!

I'm not sure I'd like them that much though, I don't mind omnipotence/space-time manipulation, but I get a feeling that in DC and Marvel they get thrown around too much. It's what I think would happen to Toriko if it continued, seeing how the jumps in power and hax(even before the introduction of the Gourmet gods) where quite drastic at times.
    "I can warp reality. Ha-ha! But I can warp it HARDER."
    And breaking the 4th wall..don't like that either. Not sure, maybe if it was executed better.

So many things, so little time!

I'm not sure I'd like them that much though, I don't mind omnipotence/space-time manipulation, but I get a feeling that in DC and Marvel they get thrown around too much. It's what I think would happen to Toriko if it continued, seeing how the jumps in power and hax(even before the introduction of the Gourmet gods) where quite drastic at times.
    "I can warp reality. Ha-ha! But I can warp it HARDER."
    And breaking the 4th wall..don't like that either. Not sure, maybe if it was executed better.

What gives you that impression?

@Makenzye;

Most of my knowledge about the comics comes from either movies or reading random wiki articles, like when I wanted to check who the strongest one is. And much like DBZ, every "god" article you open has a whole new set of "gods" above it.

For example you got Thanos who is really powerful, but oh wait he's nothing compared to Galactus, but oh wait, there's Life and Death and Love and Hate, but oh wait, there's Order and Chaos but that's not all, there's the Living tribunal but..wait, did they all just get wrecked by random aliens can come from another multiverse? What?

You got like 5 tiers above a godlike being, so what are they? Champion gods, Ultimate gods, Mega gods..are we in Digimon now? And obviously let's not forget the Author, who is, for an unknown reason, an existing entity within the comics.

Obviously that's only the high-end, and there are plenty of good ol' fights that got fists and spells and stuff flying around, but I still, at this moment, have a feeling that it would leave a really sour taste in my mouth.

I might be wrong and change my opinion completely if I actually went and read them. It's just that it's not a possibility at the moment with college and everything else I'm busy with. Would be easier if someone pointed me where and what to read, with all the different comics and universes flying around. Same goes for good manga, hard to find nowadays.

@Makenzye;

Most of my knowledge about the comics comes from either movies or reading random wiki articles, like when I wanted to check who the strongest one is. And much like DBZ, every "god" article you open has a whole new set of "gods" above it.

For example you got Thanos who is really powerful, but oh wait he's nothing compared to Galactus, but oh wait, there's Life and Death and Love and Hate, but oh wait, there's Order and Chaos but that's not all, there's the Living tribunal but..wait, did they all just get wrecked by random aliens can come from another multiverse? What?

You got like 5 tiers above a godlike being, so what are they? Champion gods, Ultimate gods, Mega gods..are we in Digimon now? And obviously let's not forget the Author, who is, for an unknown reason, an existing entity within the comics.

Obviously that's only the high-end, and there are plenty of good ol' fights that got fists and spells and stuff flying around, but I still, at this moment, have a feeling that it would leave a really sour taste in my mouth.
    That's just more of the hierarchy of the cosmic/super cosmic scene. Things like beings and where they are in the universe, but there's a lot about their function which precludes them from being common in the pages. Like Galactus runs about and such, but he doesn't involve himself in the lives of the regular heroes on Earth unless he's there to eat it, nor do people walk up to his front door after pumping some iron to best him. Death is indeed powerful, but her job is maintaining balance of the universe. The Living Tribunal is second (or third now I guess) to The One Above All, but his job is only to dictate what does and does not happen/work in a given universe. It isn't a formal "tier list" as we might have between other characters since these sorts of characters don't normally get rolled up to and fought. You'll find comics don't do a lot of the "training for strength to fight the next guy" you might be more familiar with in manga. I'm thinking you may have the impression superhero stories work like shonen stories, which would make the confusion understandable since they're not much alike in structure.

I might be wrong and change my opinion completely if I actually went and read them. It's just that it's not a possibility at the moment with college and everything else I'm busy with. Would be easier if someone pointed me where and what to read, with all the different comics and universes flying around. Same goes for good manga, hard to find nowadays.

My friend, why did you not just say so? I find Ultimate Spider-Man from 2000 is a wonderful start for new readers since there's no historical baggage but still gives all the reader needs in terms of plotting, pacing, etc. It's sort of a learning course of some things you can expect from a superhero story. I'd recommend just heading to a local comic shop as it can use the cash, but http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Ulti...ssue-1?id=7872 should work just as well.

If you want to read it of course. If you ever have any questions and such, let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

@Makenzye;

I've been introduced to comics way before mangas, and I don't really like most shonen either. However, they still might've influenced me in a way that made me look at comics that way. Alternate timelines are also..uhh..mostly poorly executed I believe.
    But again, I'm writing all of this without giving it a proper shot myself, so I might be completely wrong.

I'll be sure to give it a shot thanks to you, but it'll be put on hold for the moment, because I'm in the middle of exams.

@Makenzye;

I've been introduced to comics way before mangas, and I don't really like most shonen either. However, they still might've influenced me in a way that made me look at comics that way. Alternate timelines are also..uhh..mostly poorly executed I believe.
    But again, I'm writing all of this without giving it a proper shot myself, so I might be completely wrong.

I'll be sure to give it a shot thanks to you, but it'll be put on hold for the moment, because I'm in the middle of exams.
    Exams suck, man. Badly.

But yeah. Give comics a try if you are interested and have some free time. I'm always happy to help a new reader along the way.

@Makenzye;

I read the first ~15 chapters of spiderman. I'm not too excited just yet, but I'm going to keep reading some more. Can't even tell what exactly bothers me. It might even be the fact that it's colored. Or I just need to keep reading to get more into the story.
    Peter finally pulled himself together and realised that he needs to step up his game unless he wants to get killed, that's a good thing.
    That cock block by aunt May though

Now I've got a question for you, have you read the Breaker? Go check http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...ad-The-Breaker if you haven't.

W..w...welcome ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Katyusha View Post
    W..w...welcome ._.
    Hah, we joined at the same time. Welcome to you too

@Makenzye;

I read the first ~15 chapters of spiderman. I'm not too excited just yet, but I'm going to keep reading some more. Can't even tell what exactly bothers me. It might even be the fact that it's colored. Or I just need to keep reading to get more into the story.
    Peter finally pulled himself together and realised that he needs to step up his game unless he wants to get killed, that's a good thing.
    That cock block by aunt May though

Now I've got a question for you, have you read the Breaker? Go check http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...ad-The-Breaker if you haven't.
    Superhero story structure is a lot different and tends to have greater focus on the character as a person as opposed to the character in regard to their goal. Many superheroes would probably be considered "aimless" as a consequence. That tends to trip up a lot of manga-first readers.

I have. I dropped off somewhere in New Waves, though.

Hah, we joined at the same time. Welcome to you too
    I was more active.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Superhero story structure is a lot different and tends to have greater focus on the character as a person as opposed to the character in regard to their goal. Many superheroes would probably be considered "aimless" as a consequence. That tends to trip up a lot of manga-first readers.

I have. I dropped off somewhere in New Waves, though.
    That might, in fact, be it. I'm reading something while not having the slightest clue where it's heading, or even where it's supposed to head.

That's a shame.

- - - Updated - - -

I was more active.
    True, I haven't really been actively posting until like a month ago or so. I'll catch up soon enough

I was more active.
    Hey there.

Noobs.

"Who are you to change the world?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jjcb View Post
    Noobs.
    No lifer.