Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Comics General Convo Thread

Under the suggestion by PoPs, I'm making a general comics thread so we can talk about comics here for those of us who don't want to make threads or just have commentary that doesn't warrant a thread.

Please enjoy!

End well, this thread will not

Psyduck moment but I just found out that DC stands for detective comics

The Glorious Fellowship of the Round Jacuzzi:
    https://i.imgur.com/tDbgtsy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alex D Boss View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    End well, this thread will not
    All things come to an unfortunate end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    Psyduck moment but I just found out that DC stands for detective comics
    We all have that moment.

Oh man. Captain America and Superman this week.

Perhaps

I got into the walking dead comic Mak, its pretty good so far but im struggling to like this version of Rick of it

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    All things come to an unfortunate end.

We all have that moment.

Oh man. Captain America and Superman this week.
    DC comics is detective comics comics

anyways, super surprised they got their start in detective series (heard it was batman) but i expected it to be something more superhero like superman

DC comics is detective comics comics

anyways, super surprised they got their start in detective series (heard it was batman) but i expected it to be something more superhero like superman
    Technically it was DC Publications.

There's a convoluted history of DC's start. It was named after Detective Comics, though Action Comics came first.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add it's just "DC" now and is not an intial anymore.

Ugh. The most recent Justice League hasn't done much to raise my spirits about it's future, or the new JLA coming out next year.

How often do you guys read articles about stuff like "Most shocking things Spiderman has done" or "top x evil things Lex Luthor has done"? Because it's plaguing my facebook and I'm tempted to click.

- - - Updated - - -

and it's usually from sites like Screenrant or what not

I find Screenrant just loves its clickbait. Sometimes their stuff is informative, other times they are just putting something up there to fill internet space.

Sometimes I'll click that stuff, but not as often as I probably should.

Yeah, the only thing that stops me from clicking it is because the site bugs out my browser at work.

Yeah, SR does that a bit to my phone as well.

Some of their stuff is just a rehash of other people's work.

Also, one time Screen Rant said Namor was Marvel's answer to Aquaman and I wanted to blow the Horn of Proteus at them. Namor beat Aquaman to the books by two years.

Come to think of it, from what I've read, Namor straddles the line between villain and ally multiple times right?

Come to think of it, from what I've read, Namor straddles the line between villain and ally multiple times right?
    Namor pretty much was the original anti-villain for the new comics medium. He was a villain, then a hero, then a villain, then a hero, then a villain, then a war buddy, then a hero, then a villain, etc.

Namor pretty much was the original anti-villain for the new comics medium. He was a villain, then a hero, then a villain, then a hero, then a villain, then a war buddy, then a hero, then a villain, etc.
    I assume this is where Captain America came in?

I assume this is where Captain America came in?
    He's been part of like fifteen wars. lol

He's been part of like fifteen wars. lol
    When did they get to know each other?

When did they get to know each other?
    During the Second World War, though back then it wasn't so much Namor and Captain America because Namor was there as a friend of Jim Hammond the Human Torch, his long standing friend/enemy/sparring partner.

Might wanna sticky this.

Of all the comics I read thus far this morning:

Action Comics # 968: What can I say? You sort of sucked, and Jurgens knows better than the whole magic thing. I like the whole contrast with the mysterious Clark and Superman, as well as Jon's presence, but this issue just sort of sucked.

Civil War II #7: You sucked ass. This issue was inserted because it was necessary. The ending didn't make sense, the whole thing made DBZ filler look like the golden age, and since there's zero mystery how this fight ends I just want this done. Unfortunately we have to wait till the end of this year to see it. You know. The part where Iron Man is dead.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps #9: Loved it. Great issue. That tease at the end has me hooked for 10.

The Flash: What can I say? One of my favorite books this year hands down. And the inclusion of the Shade? Love it. A bit exposition heavy, but in the right way.

Batman Beyond: I enjoy it so far. Has a more old school comic book feel to it. Love the dragging out of Matches Malone's M.O. and identity by Terry.

Frostbite: Been digging this series more and more, but I get the feeling it's accelerating towards the end. The art is probably the best part for me. It just has a style which I love in the contrasts.

The Mighty Thor: I GET IT ANGELA! YOU'RE FROM THE 90'S! YOU CAN STOP! One of my more liked titles, but dear lord fucking Angela's dialogue is so fucking awful I wish she was replaced with ANYBODY else in the Marvel universe. I would take Sunset Bain. I would've taken Yelena Belova (not the Adaptoid version), I would have taken anybody. Hell I would have taken Deadpool. Heck. Lady Deadpool, why not.

Wonder Woman: I like this title. A lot. There's not much to say other than it's mystery is really starting to ramp up. It's nice to see a Wonder Woman who isn't all snarl.

Captain Marvel: Not a bad issue. Loved the Master of the World being brought back, and how the Gage crew remembered Carol's important character arc during the Kang Dynasty over a decade ago. It was a shame it gave Carol no pause since how she handled things back then "for the better good" shook her hard, but now she just gloats it? Maybe that's character growth but it seems... less heroic.

ROM: Loving it. Loving it.

Death of X: Great ending, god awful series. I liked the twist, but it didn't require a miniseries. Glad this shit is done.

Blue Beetle: Always on the fence with this. I want this book to stand on it's own merit with as few involved characters as possible. There was some heavy threat dropped in by using Fate, but this title is just so... blah.

Godzilla: Rage Across Time: Just a fun title.

The Hellblazer: It's okay. I'm still invested.

Judge Dredd: Pretty damn enjoyable. Welcome to Mega City Zero!

Deathstroke: Loved the kitchen scene. I'm also digging Joseph as the new Ikon, and just as ruthless as his old man.

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme: Loved this entry so much. Threw a little backstory to Wiccan while emphasizing mystery and characterization (and specialization) of the others. I have to say I'm loving Yao and how the story does a good job of not derailing but enhancing him.