Teen Titans: Rebirth

So first issue dropped this week, and somehow I feel bleh about it. It could be because I feel bleh about Robin in general, but the series didn't have much going on. It was really like the second issue of the Rebirth stand-alone, but with just enough room on the end for a cliffhanger, "We need to work together moment." Let me explain.

I'll put a SPOILER WARNING, not that the issue has anything of great importance to it:

Damian has turned 13, and Alfred made a mention when Tim was younger he joined the Teen Titans so he had friends his age and within his activity circle. Damian discards it, but ultimately decides to seek out the Titans and capture them. The obvious rub is it turns out he left just enough wiggle room to set them free to prove they "work better together, but not strong enough individually," despite the fact that's not at all how they escape and only two members of the Teen Titans were vital to it at all. It also turns out that Damian needs the Titans or else he and Titans will die due to his previous associations with the League of Assassins.

The low down: It was really just a second set up issue. This should have been taken care of in the Rebirth issue. The writers shouldn't have spent any time showing how Robin got them and just showed them tied up in the Rebirth issue so we could just right away into #1 with the Titans broken free and questioning what's going on so we can get a little more explanation for what's going on in Damian's life. But it's completely wasted instead with Damian mugging the group and the group giving the standard, "You don't know me!" nonsense. Ultimately this will lead into a fight in the coming issues where they recognize they can work well together and begrudgingly become a team.

I see some potential for this series, but it was a pretty crap way to start for me. Highlights are definitely the art and less awful character designs. Everything is poppy, curt, and easy to watch/read. Sadly Meyers is only on for three issues and will be replaced by Mark Morales and Koi Pham who are both talented, but maybe not as slick. I also like the big bad they have for their first storyline.

Ehh... Hmmm... Uhhh... Sure. I'll recommend it if you can read it in the store.

is it this?

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Teen.../Full?id=90769

havent you already read and liked me to it 3 weeks ago in your one-liner thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wilde View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    is it this?

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Teen.../Full?id=90769

havent you already read and liked me to it 3 weeks ago in your one-liner thread?
    That's the standalone I was talking about, this thread concerns the ongoing which just came out Wednesday. I used the "wrong" image, but I preferred it to the actual cover since the actual cover decides to tell you how it ends.

Below is that cover for you if you want to see it before the comic itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I really wished they used the second issue cover for the first issue. Here's a smaller picture of it since I can't find a larger one.

it appears to me the entire dc verse gets younger and younger

i mean comparing this to the 2011er version is like comparing the 2011er version to the 1980s version

also: is there already a version online out?

- - - Updated - - -

nvmd. i found it on readcomiconline

- - - Updated - - -

aaaaand my answer gets answered when looking at the first pages

happy 13th birthday?

wtf?

- - - Updated - - -

okay im in the middle of the entire "look i caught you haha" shit and DAMN i hate this version of robin. he just went 13. he shall his energy in the bathroom wanking of to whatever and not trying to impress others via "i followed you muhaha give me attention shit"

gonna read the next pages in a minute

Have you been reading any of his other stories? This is pretty par for the course with Damian.

Does this have anything to do with Teen Titans (2014) which ended with #24? OR rather, where can I see which stuff belongs to which. Taking a detour through "Detective Stories" for "Teen Titans (2014)" is crazy enough (for my manga standards where everything is neatly in one (consecutive) place).

no i dont think i recall any other damian story

- - - Updated - - -

also holy shit

dan abnett writes comics?

i know he wrote the gaunts ghost novel series but he also writes comics? wow

Quote Originally Posted by say-and-sing View Post
    Does this have anything to do with Teen Titans (2014) which ended with #24? OR rather, where can I see which stuff belongs to which. Taking a detour through "Detective Stories" for "Teen Titans (2014)" is crazy enough (for my manga standards where everything is neatly in one (consecutive) place).
    It's another series after that one. Many of the Titans from that series are in this series, but they're a new formation of the team. Sort of like how the Avengers break up but then come together to form a new Avengers later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Wilde View Post
    no i dont think i recall any other damian story

- - - Updated - - -

also holy shit

dan abnett writes comics?

i know he wrote the gaunts ghost novel series but he also writes comics? wow
    Abnett's written a messton of comics.

- - - Updated - - -

also logans description of raven and robin is fucking priceless

"this dude just likes to follow us around"

"her power is unlimited friendlieness" - go away.

I didn't really mind how this comic started I thought it was a funny and unique way to get them all together. I'll let you all know what I think when I get further.

Also I'm taking more interest in this knowing titans the tv show is starting sooner or later.(I hear it's a older version of a somewhat normal roster)

Quote Originally Posted by R View Post

- - - Updated - - -

also logans description of raven and robin is fucking priceless

"this dude just likes to follow us around"

"her power is unlimited friendlieness" - go away.

Beast Boy is a savage in this

Might have to check it out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyri View Post
    I didn't really mind how this comic started I thought it was a funny and unique way to get them all together. I'll let you all know what I think when I get further.

Also I'm taking more interest in this knowing titans the tv show is starting sooner or later.(I hear it's a older version of a somewhat normal roster)
    Basically it's based on Titans, which is the comic about the old Teen Titans as adults on their own team. Well, if it's about the older members.

Either way, a comic I infinitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Basically it's based on Titans, which is the comic about the old Teen Titans as adults on their own team. Well, if it's about the older members.

Either way, a comic I infinitely recommend.
    I've read the older runs on the teen titans and I remember really liking some of it/really loved some characters. Though show me any new DC stuff and I'll seem like I don't know shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyri View Post
    I've read the older runs on the teen titans and I remember really liking some of it/really loved some characters. Though show me any new DC stuff and I'll seem like I don't know shit.
    Comics are great in that history isn't absolutely necessary. You'd be fine jumping into the deep end if you wanted to.