7 19.44%
  • 4/5

3 8.33%
  • 5/5

23 63.89%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Here's to Don Luffy and a great moment

Bad times don't last, but bad guys do

I've read a really good post on AP about Sanji that might shed some light on why he's acting the way he is and where Oda is going with his character arc.

Sanji has some issues deeply rooted in his past and needs to deal with them, just like any other SH did in the past.
    Recent events brought back his past demons that are telling him that he is worthless, and his family is once again continously drilling that idea into his head.

That's why Luffy's comment at the end of this chapter is so important - Sanji deosn't believe he is worthy of being in Luffy's crew. That's why he wants to let them go without him and talks about how they are dogs and trash, when the truth is he considers himself a trash not worthy of Pirate King's attention.

And it looks like that this is what Sanji's character arc is going to be - to realize he is not worthless like his family tells him he is. After all, this is a SH-centric arc, which means Sanji IS GOING TO go through some character development. There has not been a single instance of SH-focused arc that did not lead to that. His lack of self-worth is currently the only thing that really makes sense, because nothing else is going on with Sanji as far as emotional sturggles go. It fits, it has its roots in his past. I mean, sure, it can be just "ok lets deal with the family so they won't harass me anymore" but Oda has proven us time and again that he can go deeper, especially when SH's are concerned. Sanji needs his cathartic moment, just like any other SH had, and the simple "my family has been dealt with" solution will not be enough. That would be comparable to an Enies Lobby arc where Robin simply gets saved from the WG and does not have "I want to live" moment.

So yeah, given Oda's patterns, dialogue of the current chapter and Sanji's flashback, I do think Sanji's lack of self-worth from his past might have come back to haunt him and be the reason for his behaviour. But I guess time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was half-expecting Sanji to sneak in a whisper about Zeff while he was hitting Luffy.

Honestly though, I'm just so happy we see this side of Luffy again. His ability to look through a person's character and make decisions on the fly, even if they originally seem foolish, was one of his beast features during part one and I hope to see that aspect of his character more and more.
    In this case, I don't see it as being particularly insightful. I mean, with Robin it was one thing since she was a new crewmember that hadn't spent much time with the others and was a former enemy to boot and full of mystery as to her allegiances. But in this case? It's blatantly obvious that Sanji is putting on a show as he's been here since half of East Blue. We've never had any reason to doubt Sanji's character or commitment to the crew and neither has any of the Straw Hats as far as we've seen. It seems to me that Luffy doing this---making a huge scene, forcing Sanji to make an immediate decision (or at least one a lot faster than otherwise), and refusing to eat unless it's from Sanji himself (and Sanji wouldn't even let an enemy go hungry) makes the situation infinitely worse for Sanji.

So what do you guys think is going to happen this week?

Maybe some light on Jinbe?Also this is a good time to introduce more Big Mom kids.

@Pimp of Pimps;

We'll meet Katakuri and Smoothie, and hopefully get a conclusion to the Chopper/Carrot/Brûlée conundrum.

I reckon we won't be seeing Luffy for a long time after last week

A lot of focus will be on the mirror world, Big Mom's rage and hopefully a reveal of the remaining sweet commanders

Bobbins will get introduce properly as Vice-Captain of the crew.

In memento of Poopy Dindong.

God of Emotions (1st Class God)

I guess we finally learn what happened to Jinbie. Either progress or conclude the Carrot/Chopper VS Brulee plot and we get some focus on Sanji and Vinsmokes too. I don't think we will see Katakuri and Smoothie just yet.

@Nightfall;

I'm afraid the Bobbin ship sailed a long time ago.

But here's to hoping Three-eyes is Katakuri or Smoothie.

But who am I kidding?

As long as the ship hasn't sunk yet, we still got hope.

In memento of Poopy Dindong.

God of Emotions (1st Class God)

I won't give up hope for Bobbins until he is actually shown and not mentioned as a first mate or top crew member.