Banned

Ned Stark Vs Oberyn Martell

Fight to the death. This is Ned and Oberyn during there time in series/books, not when they were in their primes.

Scenario two: Prime versions of both.

Oberyn takes both rounds.

Oberyn takes both rounds in a one sided slaughter. Eddard was at best a "competent" swordsman, as GRRM said himself, whereas Oberyn has proven himself to be one of the greatest fighters in the entire ASOIAF universe. I cant stress how utterly easy this will be for him.

Weve seen in the Mereneese fighting pits how people wielding pole weapons have an inherent advantage even against much more skilled and quick opponents with swords, so even if they were comparable in speed oberyn would have the edge. Unfortunaely for Eddard, hes also massively outmatched in speed and skill, so he'll be completely defenceless against oberyn's thrusts and cuts, and will be downed very swiftly

King of Explodo-Kills DoflaMihawk's Avatar
    Rex is right, Oberyn takes both rounds handily. He would've finished the Mountain off easily if he didn't let his grudge get in the way.

TV Ned would have a better chance, since he was fighting off Jaime for a bit, but Oberyn would still win that IMO.

Oberyn wrecks

During the series Oberyn should take this with lower high diff I guess. Ned was still keeping up with Jaime who was one of the best fighters at that time. Prime wise I'd say it can go either way.

Yall got ned fucked up, he was one of tge best in his era.

oberyn takes first round

oberyn takes second round with high diff

Formerly Big Mom Tyrion Lannister's Avatar
    Oberyn wins. He looked very impressive against the mountain and could had won if he just did not waste time on making him admit his crimes. Ned Stark was not bad either but he did not seem as impressive to me as the former.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXDrake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oberyn takes both rounds in a one sided slaughter. Eddard was at best a "competent" swordsman, as GRRM said himself, whereas Oberyn has proven himself to be one of the greatest fighters in the entire ASOIAF universe. I cant stress how utterly easy this will be for him.

Weve seen in the Mereneese fighting pits how people wielding pole weapons have an inherent advantage even against much more skilled and quick opponents with swords, so even if they were comparable in speed oberyn would have the edge. Unfortunaely for Eddard, hes also massively outmatched in speed and skill, so he'll be completely defenceless against oberyn's thrusts and cuts, and will be downed very swiftly
    Wasn't aware George had said that.

Ned was a good military commander, but it was his older brother Brandon who was the good fighter.

Ned can't fight for shit.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    Ned was a good military commander, but it was his older brother Brandon who was the good fighter.

Ned can't fight for shit.
    I wouldn't say he couldn't fight for shit. He and Hoster Tully made waves during the Battle of the Bells and helped turned the tides during Robert's Rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I wouldn't say he couldn't fight for shit. He and Hoster Tully made waves during the Battle of the Bells and helped turned the tides during Robert's Rebellion.
    I recall him and Howland Reed barely winning a 7 versus 3 fight, and him losing a match in Winterfell (homecourt advantage) to Yohn Royce. Wonder how Catelyn felt when he watched her man get wrecked in their own house, bet she still wished Brandon Stark was still alive and she marred him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    I recall him and Howland Reed barely winning a 7 versus 3 fight, and him losing a match in Winterfell (homecourt advantage) to Yohn Royce. Wonder how Catelyn felt when he watched her man get wrecked in their own house, bet she still wished Brandon Stark was still alive and she marred him.
    Yeah, but Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower are no average men. Besides, who was really notable amongst Ned's men?

TV Prime Ned vs TV Prime Oberyn: Oberyn wins 90/100
    TV Ned vs TV Oberyn: Oberyn wins 95/100. Ed still has ice.
    Book Prime Ned vs Book Prime Oberyn: Oberyn stomps 99.9/100.
    Book Ned vs Book Oberyn: Oberyn stomps even more. Ned isn't Robert loving of fat gain, but isn't exactly looking entirely great. Oberyn wins 99.99/100

Overall, why would you pit Oberyn against Ned? I don't think anyone (alive during the books) could beat Oberyn, excluding Prime Ser Barristan and 2-handed Ser Jaime.

Book Ned was capable at best. If he faced other nobles that got the standard swordsmanship training he would win, but against real knights, or anyone who lives for fighting he would probably lose.
    ​​

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Its not ironic View Post
    TV Prime Ned vs TV Prime Oberyn: Oberyn wins 90/100
    TV Ned vs TV Oberyn: Oberyn wins 95/100. Ed still has ice.
    Book Prime Ned vs Book Prime Oberyn: Oberyn stomps 99.9/100.
    Book Ned vs Book Oberyn: Oberyn stomps even more. Ned isn't Robert loving of fat gain, but isn't exactly looking entirely great. Oberyn wins 99.99/100

Overall, why would you pit Oberyn against Ned? I don't think anyone (alive during the books) could beat Oberyn, excluding Prime Ser Barristan and 2-handed Ser Jaime.
    I wouldn't say Oberyn was the strongest.