Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Norman probably just making sure Ray isn't a rat.

i've started giving this chance and i quite like it. what i really dislike though is how norman and ray instantly 'get' everything. there's little actual thinking/concluding going on - they often postulate a theory about something instantaneously (why mama did this or that for example), and they just file those conclusions away. they pretty much never doubt themselves either - somehow, they see it as absolutely correct even though they are in a situation where they'd need to look at stuff from multiple angles, scrutinize the state of things and then (hopefully) arrive at the correct conclusion.

and they are pretty much always 100% correct with the theories they make up on the fly, and as such their conclusions never really resurface because they discovered something new that could make them rethink how they approached the situation (since they are pretty much never wrong).

now, i understand that norman and ray especially are supposed to be absolute prodigies, but i personally think this is simply cheap writing. there's not a whole lot of psychological warfare going on because there aren't really any conundrums that make the children ponder on one problem for an extensive period of time. it comes off as awfully contrived and i feel like the author is simply too lazy to explain the different line of thoughts in the manga. things simply are the way they are because all of the clever people say so, and that's the end of it. again, little to no scrutiny going on.

while it might seem that norman getting outsmarted by mama in chapter 10 is an exception to this, it actually isn't.

even though norman says this and it seems like this is the start of a fresh perspective, the next time we see norman he has already concluded everything off-panel. it's the exact same thing - even though norman says that he won't lose to mama anymore/needs to look at things from different angles, we literally learn nothing about how he approaches this dilemma afterwards and how he even arrives at solutions.
    Last edited by Sin; 11-01-2016 at 01:35 AM.

Chapter 13 is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Juzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i've started giving this chance and i quite like it. what i really dislike though is how norman and ray instantly 'get' everything. there's little actual thinking/concluding going on - they often postulate a theory about something instantaneously (why mama did this or that for example), and they just file those conclusions away. they pretty much never doubt themselves either - somehow, they see it as absolutely correct even though they are in a situation where they'd need to look at stuff from multiple angles, scrutinize the state of things and then (hopefully) arrive at the correct conclusion.

and they are pretty much always 100% correct with the theories they make up on the fly, and as such their conclusions never really resurface because they discovered something new that could make them rethink how they approached the situation simply (since they are pretty much never wrong).

now, i understand that norman and ray especially are supposed to be absolute prodigies, but i personally think this is simply cheap writing. there's not a whole lot of psychological warfare going on because there aren't really any conundrums that make the children ponder on one problem for an extensive period of time. it comes off as awfully contrived and i feel like the author is simply too lazy to explain the different line of thoughts in the manga. things simply are the way they are because all of the clever people say so, and that's the end of it. again, little to no scrutiny going on.

while it might seem that norman getting outsmarted by mama in chapter 10 is an exception to this, it actually isn't.

even though norman says this and it seems like this is the start of a fresh perspective, the next time we see norman he has already concluded everything off-panel. it's the exact same thing - even though norman says that he won't lose to mama anymore/needs to look at things from different angles, we literally learn nothing about how he approaches this dilemma afterwards and how he even arrives at solutions.
    A lot of fair criticisms. Some smaller mistakes (rather than big dramatic ones that are presumably coming) and vulnerability from Ray and Norman would help build the tension in this. I haven't read the latest chapter, but I'd like to think with Mama's portrayal of being one step ahead of them, we'll see a few errors in their theories.

I like how they've been portrayed so far, but as you and Mak have said, being too perfect will hurt this. Hopefully we'll see another few layers on their characters in the coming chapters.

Can't wait to hear Ray's motivations. Some people are speculating that he's mama's son.

Good chapter. Obviously the real challenge lies outside of the orphanage.

I really want to know what Ray's up to. To me, it kinda looks like he's intentionally playing for both sides, and will side with whichever one seems most likely to win in the end.

New chapter:
    http://mangastream.com/read/neverland/014/3784/1

And Ray continues to be great.

I love the cunningness and intelligence of Ray, Norman and Mama, and then Emma is more overly wishful than logical.

You know, considering this is a shonen, I would normally assume that somehow, all the kids actually make it, but I can definitely see this manga pulling the brakes on bullshit and all the kids (maybe not a few, excluding Don and Gilda, cause they're somewhat likely) all actually being left behind. Though, they may come back with them.

Ray's faces this chapter were great. The artist really knows what he's doing when it comes to exaggerating facial expressions.

Chapter's out: http://mangastream.com/r/neverland/015/3802/1

Someone needs to explain to me what the fuck this is. The artist is a god in making these horrifying and/or creepy ass scenes.

I can't get enough of this manga.

Good stuff as usual. Every chapter of this has been getting me more and more excited to see how the escape will unfold. Between Krone's scheming, whatever Mama has planned, and Emma and Ray being at odds with Norman stuck in the middle, there's alot of ways that this could pan out, and I'm pretty hyped to see what direction that the series ends up going in.

http://mangastream.com/r/neverland/016/3822/1

I get the feeling that not telling Don and Gilda the truth is going to backfire soon...

Wow that kid is dumber than bricks. He might find out the truth. I don't think he is going to live once he does.

Welp, R.I.P. Don and Gilda, maybe. I actually liked Gilda.

http://mangastream.com/r/neverland/023/3968/1

This manga is great.

Wow i feel slightly bad for krone here

Damn, Grandma isn't playing around.

That was really great though, I can't believe that I actually feel bad for Krone. I really like how her last act was one big "fuck you" to Mama and the system, can't help but wonder what that pen will do.

It seems like the writer just wanted to put that there while getting rid of Krone, since she really had no reason to assume she was being pulled off the case/killed.

Looks like the story is about to kick into a higher gear, though.

Looks like mama also tried to escape but she did it solo and with less knowledge

Shit is going down potential death flag for Norman?

What do you guys think is going to happen when they finally escape? What do you think the story will become?

(I haven't read the manga yet - I'm waiting for that to happen first before I give it a go)