Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    T-Rex like dinosaur could work, a normal T-Rex could feel a bit off with Kong battling against 3 T-Rex's and winning in the 2005 movie.

I feel like this is going to be the Guardians of the Galaxy/Suicide Squad of the Kaiju Universe.

I am Ghaul, and your Light is Mine!

Dat Kong size dat waterbuffalo and dem gorilla skulls.

Looks like it's going to much better than Godzilla.

Just saw this movie; it did fix a lot of the issues I had with the Godzilla film.

I went into the movie figuring that the first part might be a bit slow and drag before getting to meat of things, but I was surprised at how quickly the movie actually gets Skull Island. It doesn't drag it's feet at all, quickly gathering together all of the cast and getting their introductions out of the way to move straight into what we want to see, the further characterization happens when they've already touched down on the island.

The movie doesn't tease you with little snippits of Kong either. They know he's the main attraction and they dedicate a lot of screen time to the guy, showing him in all of his glory the very moment they reach the island and giving him stuff to do throughout the movie, when they show an action scene with him they don't cut away until he's wiped out whatever was foolish enough to challenge him. There are other monsters and beasts on the island that get memorable scenes and keep the sense of danger throughout but Kong overshadows them all when he gets going. I enjoyed this iteration of him and he does come across as a more intelligent beast than the previous versions that I've seen.

The cast has a lot more personality, charisma, and screen presence than Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch from Godzilla and that does a lot to help carry the movie; having a large cast to work with also allows them to do a lot more and split up focus between different groups as they end up on different parts of the island facing some of their own obstacles. I didn't think any of the characters were amazing or anything, but they were enjoyable and I still found myself rooting for them to make it out alive and bummed at some of the deaths, which I think is good for a movie like this. Part of the intensity with the group dynamic is that you don't really know who is and isn't going to survive till the end if any of them, and it being set in 1973 lets one know that even the big names will be expendable since they obviously can't reuse them for a modern day sequel. I ended up enjoying the movie overall; it knows what you came for and gives it to you, spending nearly all of the runtime on Skull Island with a lot of King Kong action.

On a side note, Kong really needs to get an upgrade because the ape I saw in this film has no business trying to pick a fight with the Godzilla from the 2014 film.
    Last edited by Great Potato; 03-12-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Finally saw the film and it was a nice bit of fun. The monsters were interesting and going from place to place was fun and there were even some interesting set pieces. The cast was a bit more colorful and honestly, surprising. John Goodman? Samuel L. Jackson? I'm almost sad they were used, to be honest. Since this is set in the 70s, they certainly won't be in any future installments. Heck, no one will. Even the youngest talent who would probably be in their mid 30s in the film would be 70+ years old in present day so none of these actors will be making a return appearance, which is a real bummer.

The film is an action flick, and that fits just fine. If anyone has seen the original film (which I highly reccommend), that's pretty much the entire movie. Seriously, the '33 Kong is almost pure action once pleasantries are gone through. The film also had several nice homages and pretty nice humor throughout. I will say that the script could've been a lot tighter and the dialogue could sometimes be really off. Overall, a decent flick that doesn't try and overextend itself and mostly bypasses some of the issues of the '14 Godzilla. Here's to hoping that they can build off of the success of both films, review what didn't work/what needs to be fixed, and return with a film much better than either in Godzilla: King of the Monsters in a few years.

I loved this movie from the start until the end. I wish we had seen more of the creatures on that island. Great cast, setting and action! Don't think I can describe him better than GP already did.

Really recommend anyone who hasn't watched this to do so. One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen these last 2-3 years.

That secret ending. Really wish one of those was in the first Godzilla movie.

Hope they make the next Godzilla if not as good at least close as good this one was.