Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kong: Skull Island

I believe this one is part of a shared universe with the 2014 Godzilla.

Yeah. This is the one who is gonna face off with the king of the monsters.

@Pacifista;

What are your thoughts on this?

Trailer looks great, hopefully they don't have something like that bug scene from the previous King Kong movie in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Pacifista;

What are your thoughts on this?
    It's very interesting. It looks like they're shedding the usual King Kong narrative entirely for this film while additionally making the creature much larger than before. The latter was expected since there was no way any normal sized Kong would be able to challenge Godzilla, even though the last I heard was that Kong was going to be 100 ft tall (which was still a ridiculously small size to even dream of fighting Godzilla).

So it's an expedition but they're going in attack helicopters and they'll be running around the island with massive creatures. At the very least, I like that they're going a different route and it looks like they won't try and do a romance plot when Kong would be so much larger than the humans that it'd be ridiculous but otherwise I'm quite curious as to where they're going to go with this. Kong is being portrayed as a pretty huge antagonistic threat to humans---a huge contrast to Godzilla who was pretty passive to humans. So I'm intrigued....especially since they have several really good actors here.
    Quote Originally Posted by #TRIGGERED View Post
    Trailer looks great, hopefully they don't have something like that bug scene from the previous King Kong movie in this one.
    Really? That was my favorite part of the film. I loved the insect pit.

Banned
    This looks more promising than Godzilla.

Hopefully Kong has twenty times more screen time than Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacifista View Post
    It's very interesting. It looks like they're shedding the usual King Kong narrative entirely for this film while additionally making the creature much larger than before. The latter was expected since there was no way any normal sized Kong would be able to challenge Godzilla, even though the last I heard was that Kong was going to be 100 ft tall (which was still a ridiculously small size to even dream of fighting Godzilla).

So it's an expedition but they're going in attack helicopters and they'll be running around the island with massive creatures. At the very least, I like that they're going a different route and it looks like they won't try and do a romance plot when Kong would be so much larger than the humans that it'd be ridiculous but otherwise I'm quite curious as to where they're going to go with this. Kong is being portrayed as a pretty huge antagonistic threat to humans---a huge contrast to Godzilla who was pretty passive to humans. So I'm intrigued....especially since they have several really good actors here.

Really? That was my favorite part of the film. I loved the insect pit.
    I like that Kong is more aggressive in this one, he's the king of Skull Island and he makes it perfectly clear. Early vibes give the impression of a true force of nature, a top of the food chain who won't let anyone challenge that rule, and that's the image he should be giving off if we want to take him as competition for Godzilla.

I figure we're going to get a good few moments showing him in a good light though. They always play these types of things from the Team angle, I imagine the months preceding the movie will have a lot of "Team Kong" and "Team Godzilla" being thrown about, so they're going to want to have it seem like a neutral playing field. I don't think it would work well for them to have one of them playing the de facto villain in that scenario.

I think it would work if instead of the "romance" angle, they just played up his intelligence and curiosity. Establishing him as a rather regal and majestic beast of high understanding, making him more sympathetic creature without going the length of actually making him heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    I think one of the biggest problems with 2014 Godzilla has been fixed just by the setting in this one, whenever Godzilla wasn't on screen it would often feel like dead-time waiting for his next appearance or one of the MUTOs, but with Skull Island there's a sense that nowhere is truly safe. Kong may be the top dog, but whenever he's not around there are still giant insects, natives, and who knows what else that can still provide hell for the main cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Yeah. It was a great idea for Godzilla but they just went too far with it. Once the cat is out of the bag, there's really no use in pretending that it's still in there and/or telling us that the cat is in there when the cat is plainly walking in front of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    I like that Kong is more aggressive in this one, he's the king of Skull Island and he makes it perfectly clear. Early vibes give the impression of a true force of nature, a top of the food chain who won't let anyone challenge that rule, and that's the image he should be giving off if we want to take him as competition for Godzilla.

I figure we're going to get a good few moments showing him in a good light though. They always play these types of things from the Team angle, I imagine the months preceding the movie will have a lot of "Team Kong" and "Team Godzilla" being thrown about, so they're going to want to have it seem like a neutral playing field. I don't think it would work well for them to have one of them playing the de facto villain in that scenario.

I think it would work if instead of the "romance" angle, they just played up his intelligence and curiosity. Establishing him as a rather regal and majestic beast of high understanding, making him more sympathetic creature without going the length of actually making him heroic.

I think one of the biggest problems with 2014 Godzilla has been fixed just by the setting in this one, whenever Godzilla wasn't on screen it would often feel like dead-time waiting for his next appearance or one of the MUTOs, but with Skull Island there's a sense that nowhere is truly safe. Kong may be the top dog, but whenever he's not around there are still giant insects, natives, and who knows what else that can still provide hell for the main cast.
    Yes, I agree. If Kong is to challenge Godzilla, they've already done a great job of making it as different as Godzilla as possible. Whereas Godzilla is mostly passive until his target is in view, Kong is preemptively enraged and hyper aggressive. Where Godzilla is almost methodical, Kong is a berserker. That in and of itself is already an interesting contrast. I wonder though....Godzilla and the MUTOs were already completely immune to modern weaponry and that even includes a good portion of the nuclear options (at least for Godzilla). Kong going up against attack helicopters? They'll be useless. Also, this is set in the 1970s. I'm really curious why they went this route. I'm also a bit sad because that most likely means that people like Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, and others won't be in a sequels since the present is literally 35 or so years in the future.

Now this film is sure to be full of dangers---we've seen a giant spider, there's of course going to be some sort of giant theropod....I wonder what else though. You're right in that this should be a monster blowout though and I'm really curious as to how they'll do it and the angle that they're going for.

Looks great, King Kong vs Godzilla is finally viable.

Although i was really hoping Jack black would be in this, he was the most entertaining in the previous King Kong movie.

- - - Updated - - -

then again that really wouldn't make sense it terms on continuity.

Kong wasnt that intelligent in the films, he was shown to exhibit complex emotions but it seemed like he didnt fully understand whar they where during the time he spent with Rose. It looked more instinctive than anything. He fell completely into the trap the sailors laid for him in the previous films. And the attack jets where shown to hurt Kong, they are the things that inevitably killed him.

King of Explodo-Kills DoflaMihawk's Avatar
    Trailer looks good. Kong using a tree as a freaking harpoon was insane, hope he keeps up that intensity for the whole film.

It's circa 1972 right? Wonder if we'll get kong to the continental US... and what happens between then and after events of godzilla?

Thanks to Cake~

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    It's circa 1972 right? Wonder if we'll get kong to the continental US... and what happens between then and after events of godzilla?
    Yeah, it's certainly a valid question. We may get a glimpse of Kong in Godzilla 2 but who knows. It'd still be over 40 years since this movie will of taken place.

Seasoned veteran kong vs newbie godzilla

Thanks to Cake~

Typical humans, go to an island full of creatures and people minding their own business, wreck havoc and then blame it on ''monsters'' they had to protect themselves from.

I'll be rooting for Kong all the way.

Pretty glad to see Jason Mitchell (and Corey Hawkins) get a blockbuster role after the amazing work they did on ''Straight Outta Compton''.

Perfect timing for all these Harambe memes.
    [2014 - 2017]

I'm surprised by a few things here.

Me too, did not expect the natives to be friendly this time around.

I see a giant spider, I hope they don't have the insect pit scene in this movie.

The "Devil" of the island are the lizards? Or something else?

Anyhow, I'm pretty exited for this one.

I think the "Devil" would be a T-Rex or T-Rex like.