Banned

Starting The Books

Going to give reading the books a go. I've watched the first season but know a lot of spoilers from the TV series. Just picked up a box set of the first five books.

Wow..nobody actually cares..
    He stumbled into faith and thought...

Enjoy. I liked reading the first 2. Solid stuff.

"YOURS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!"
    -- Kamina

Enjoy, first book is awesome.

The books are actually very good. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll love them.

I've guilted people into caring.

Your thanks is implied.
    He stumbled into faith and thought...

I have read several parts of the first book, A Storm Of Swords and A Dance Of Dragons. They are very different from the show (well the first one maybe not so much but the latter two definitely are) but they are still great reads and it´s interesting to read some events taking place in different ways like throwing the whole Tysha thing in Tyrion´s reason for killing Tywin when in the show he just kills him because he was such a terrible person to him and also so he can escape.

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to give reading the books a go. I've watched the first season but know a lot of spoilers from the TV series. Just picked up a box set of the first five books.
    let us know what you think

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnarf View Post
    let us know what you think
    The first book is pretty good so far; I'm about halfway done. The book shifts its narrative focus to different characters each chapter and excluding Robb and Rickon, every Stark gets a narrative as well as Tyrion and Daenerys.

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    The first book is pretty good so far; I'm about halfway done. The book shifts its narrative focus to different characters each chapter and excluding Robb and Rickon, every Stark gets a narrative as well as Tyrion and Daenerys.
    whos your favorite pov character so far?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnarf View Post
    whos your favorite pov character so far?
    Tyrion, Jon, and Ned are probably the most fleshed out characters right now and the most enjoyable. The rest are kind of one dimensional at this point.

Banned
    Finished the second book a few days ago and I have to say he puts a lot of unnecessary details in his story. I mean, I don't need to know the name of every single ship that is attacking King's Landing and who the captains are.

@X; Yeah, you're gonna have to get used to that, buddy. I remember seeing an interview with George R.R. Martin talking about his career in writing for TV where he wrote these huge battle scenes which ended being reduced to about two people, so in his books he really indulges into his battle scenes, even if it gets to the points of self-indulgent. Could be worst - try reading Homer; the guy never shuts about who did what with who and when and how and why and then they die two lines later.

What did you think of the second book overall? For a series with such slow pacing, the second book is a particular slow-burner but the final 20% of the book is some of the best writing in the series imo.

Banned
    Yeah, the second book is slow as fuck and definitely not as good as the first one. I kind of got lost a little bit but under stood the gist of it. I think the end definitely sets up everyone's stories now since they were all kind of stuck a little. With Bran and Arya finally embarking out on their own, and some other big events coming up in the third book, I'm looking forward to it.

I have read the first two books the past month and i really enjoyed them both. The first book probably more then the second one since more happened that i were interested in in the first one but the second one was a great one too. The third book is awesome from what i have read and i can´t wait too read the whole thing.

You really notice how the books start to feel more and more different from the show. The first season is quite similar to the first book with some stuff that are different here and there but in the second season they definitely start to diverge from the books. Most of the plotlines are still the same as the book but almost all of them happen in different ways.
    Last edited by Nekomamushi; 08-09-2016 at 02:30 PM.