Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sengoku, hands down

Sangoku and WW2 come second

What's Sangoku?

Three Kingdoms

Forgot the Mongols too

Oh man, Mongol history is awesome.

I read a book that went into detailed history of the Mongols called "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World."

Portuguese Empire >>>>>

John V of Portugal destroyed the empire. Worse King since Salazar imo.
    stop harrassing frogs and exposing them on the internet

@Pimp of Pimps;

Shed tears after reading the Bosnian genocide.

What would happen if you used the wrong one?

Well, that'd be awkward.

What sites do you guys go to for your history fix?

Wikipedia, easy to read and easy to access

i visit the governmental library from our country i can reach via my father. its inside the ministry of justice

awesome stuff in there

There were feral camels in Southwestern USA from the late 1850's to the early 1940's.

I read that soldiers in ww1 soaked stuff in piss and wrapped it around their faces to protect from gas attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Void View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read that soldiers in ww1 soaked stuff in piss and wrapped it around their faces to protect from gas attacks
    Yeah. In chlorine gas attacks.

Doesn't help with mustard gas. That still killed people with the added insult they had no socks on their feet since it was wrapped around their faces and soaked with urine.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    Yeah. In chlorine gas attacks.

Doesn't help with mustard gas. That still killed people with the added insult they had no socks on their feet since it was wrapped around their faces and soaked with urine.
    Yeah, and they also said some people soaked their stuff in feces instead of piss. What a hell that must've been.

Since I currently am reading a history magazine figured I could mention something I forgot learning in school. The French revolution was messed up. Last time I checked up on this the material was kept child friendly. Everyone got their head cut of and their head put on a stake.

Remember my last Nuzlocke. Well, I lost the cartridge somewhere and that one won't be finished. Lucky for You I will start a new one soon.

Coming to the entertainment section soon.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post
    Since I currently am reading a history magazine figured I could mention something I forgot learning in school. The French revolution was messed up. Last time I checked up on this the material was kept child friendly. Everyone got their head cut of and their head put on a stake.
    How did they do this?

It might just be my memory that is failing me. From what I remember we learned most about why it happened, and what the result was. People was unsatisfied and went to war to get human rights and affordable bread. The result was that a bunch of people lost their head. The people took control and Napoleon rised to power by fixing the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

What I didn't know a lot about was the period in between these two events. The people made their own government that "worked" for 4 years. It went from a disaster to corrupt pig house. Around 40 000 was executed during this period.

Remember my last Nuzlocke. Well, I lost the cartridge somewhere and that one won't be finished. Lucky for You I will start a new one soon.

Coming to the entertainment section soon.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Was reading a book about Vietnamese history just prior to the first Indochina War with the French. Interesting things such as:

"There were also many African soldiers from France’s colonial empire who served in Vietnam including Jean-Bedel Bokassa, later emperor of the Central African Empire; Christophe Soglo, later president of Dahomey; Saye Zerbo, laterpresident of Upper Volta; and Mohammed Oufkir, later Moroccan defense minister, executed in 1972 after a failed assassination attempt on King Hassan II of Morocco. While he was in Vietnam, Bokassa, later to rise to in famy for
    his lavish lifestyle in his impoverished country, fathered a Vietnamese child. In 1970, when Bokassa was at the height of his power, the girl, Martine, and her mother contacted him and he acknowledged his paternity, bringing both of them to Bangui."

Both the domestic and foreign politics of this time is interesting involving almost all of the major global world players. There were even pirates and gangsters involved. And I like that this book is pretty fair and balance in term of portrayal of all sides involved. Like for example, it did mentioned horrendous massacre of land owners in the North under Ho Chi Minh's regime (something you probably would not find in the Vietnamese history text book back in Vietnam). But it also point out the complexity of the causes of that (human's resentment especially that of the peasants- who themselves create a witch hunt environment, the complex politics with the party that even Ho Chi Minh cannot control). And that Ho Chi Minh stopped it from spiraling out even further and stand in front of the party to admit his own failure (something avid Ho Chi Minh critics also don't really care to mentioned). And also the USA back South also had a land reform that equally horrid, and the human right of the South is also non existent.

I supposed in the larger sense, the beginning of decolonization period. And different way in which nationalists tried to approach such a solution. The historical meeting of all the newly independent countries leaders must be a sight to behold. I am sadly couldn't recalled what that meeting was called but I think it took place in Malaysia or Indonesia.

- - - Updated - - -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also found the gay right movement in Britain after WW2 and their so called buggery laws interesting with some prominent people like Peter Wildeblood and Alan Turing.

Alan Turing, "widely considered to be the father of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence." Someone, who I am sure PoP would appreciate due to PoP's own profession.

Lately I feel especially depress visiting the story of Alan Turing. To fell in love at a young age, and to lose that love so very soon (his classmate died who probably would have gone on to be an equally impressive scientist). That is driven him to obsession about artificial intelligent. And then tragically die latter on.

But that is life, not everyone have happy ending. Millions are still suffering at this moment. And millions will probably die without achieve some self worth, love, or happiness.

Learning about him, I am afraid that one day I will die alone without love. And at the same time, I am afraid to fall in love only to lose it. Sigh.