Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

General History Discussion

So for now we'll use this thread as a main history thread. Talk about anything history here and if we get enough activity we'll talk about a section.

Remember when PoPs wasn't an Admin?

This will be a great place for @Crispinianus; since he does reenactments and the like.

Halaros gonna drop some alternate history ideas on us.

Let's try and see if we can find some links to good sources to learn about history.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember when PoPs wasn't an Admin?
    A grueling time.

I'll publicize my events here from now on

I thought this was about TMF history, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    I'll publicize my events here from now on
    You can offer some pretty unique perspective on the battles you participate in. Like when giving the background, you could offer what may be going through a soldier's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Makenzye View Post
    You can offer some pretty unique perspective on the battles you participate in. Like when giving the background, you could offer what may be going through a soldier's mind.
    Conveying that would be ideal, because one of our objectives is to experience these kind of insight.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1267322/arc...k-city-in-swat

This is interesting. The remains of an indo-greek city in Pakistan was recently discovered.
    @Halaros 536;

http://www.livescience.com/55168-ant...er-manual.html

I check up on this every once in a while. Saw a documentary about it a few years ago and have been intrigued ever since.

How awesome am I?
    Awesome
    Super Awesome

Alright. We want to discuss something that we've been thinking about a lot recently. The survival of Edward VI of England.

Now Edward VI dying was a major shift for England. Where as the English aristocracy were willing to bend to the authoritarian rule of the Tudors, they were not willing to be ruled like that by their successors. While Mary and Elizabeth are considered Tudors, they were women and as such did not have the same authority. Yes, Bloody Mary had enough power to burn many people but her heir wouldn't have been Tudor. And she died without one. Same with Elizabeth. The Tudor power began to fade.

But what if Edward VI did not die so fast? He was more than likely to be a protestant monarch and would have killed off with him some of the great Protestant/Catholic wars that came with his death and passing of the throne to a Catholic Mary. It probably would not have ended in the English Parliament gaining as much power as it did as soon as it did. How do you think this would have changed English, British and European history? By this time there were several parliamentary bodies in Europe. But none of them held true power. The English parliament was required for the monarch to gain access to any taxes and bills could not be passed without their consent. But under the Tudors, even this body held no power. So what if the Tudors remained? The divine will of God was a really serious matter and many would have stayed loyal to Edward. So it's possible that, at least under his rule, the parliament would continue to have no power. Would this mean that monarchy would be slower to fall in this timeline?

There has also been talk that the French rebellion breaking out had precedent with the English civil war and the glorious revolution which were a direct result of the waning of monarchical power. Like a butterfly effect, we could have seen Europe, and as a result the rest of the world, go down a different route of governing where the monarch was still the most powerful man in the kingdom but not the most powerful 'power' in the kingdom.

Thoughts?

Let's talk about the Masons
    @Pimp of Pimps;

Are the Masons the guys who the Illuminatti guy tried to contact?
    stop harrassing frogs and exposing them on the internet

They rule the world @Demon;

@Alex D. Boss; Bring me more evidence
    stop harrassing frogs and exposing them on the internet

This is something you should look up yourself IMO. It takes time to understand it.

http://www.dailysabah.com/feature/20...ds-of-refugees

Article about refugees under Ottoman rule.

I read a historical fantasy novel that involved the Ottoman Empire. Interesting stuff.

just yesterday watched a documentary about the last front before berlin in ww2 between germans and russians

one german batallion shit with ~30 soldiers of who only 2 lived through the next day.

now decades later the survivor and a group dedicated to history dig at the place of the battlefield, which now is a farmers field or shit.

occasional they found rotten dog tags in the ground from fallen soldiers

and the survivor is like.. " oh yeha that was otto...he was a good sniper. witnessed how he held of about 4 guys with nothing but his rifle. also a good cook. good cook. shame ""

very fascinating. so close but still so far away...

@DoflaMihawk;

What was the name of the novel? And how were the Ottomans involved?