Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Pimp of Pimps @Perun @White @Makenzye @baji17 @Ichiryuu @Neko @Crispickle @Wiskodeh @Juan @DreX @Whitebeard @Usopp;

Evolution of english, from old english to middle and then modern english:

I wonder how they sounded when speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdragonstory View Post
    I wonder how they sounded when speaking.
    Germanic. Imagine scandinavian languages today. A mix between them and german would probably be the accent, if not heavier.

@Pimp of Pimps @Perun @White @Makenzye @baji17 @Ichiryuu @Neko @Crispickle @Wiskodeh @Juan @DreX @Whitebeard @Usopp;

This map was compiled in 1513 by the ottoman admiral Piri Reis. What makes it mysterious is the fact that it not only depicts Antarctica 300 years before its discovery, but also shows how the continent would have looked like if it wasn't frozen.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 07-08-2018 at 06:11 PM.

This map was compiled in 1513 by the ottoman admiral Piri Reis. What makes it mysterious is the fact that it not only depicts Antarctica 300 years before its discovery, but also shows how the continent would have looked like if it wasn't frozen.
    map's pretty great to begin with

are we sure down there he mapped antarctica and not something else though?

Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    map's pretty great to begin with

are we sure down there he mapped antarctica and not something else though?
    One historian, Captain Lorenzo W. Burroughs, a U.S. Air Force captain with a background in cartography, claims that the depiction of Antarctica is accurate and that it looks like the continent before it was covered in ice.
    “The Princess Martha Coast of Queen Maud Land, Antarctica, appears to be truly represented on the southern sector of the Piri Reis map,” he wrote in a letter. “The agreement of the Piri Reis map with the seismic profile of this area made by the Norweigan-British-Swedish expedition of 1949 … places beyond a reasonable doubt the conclusion that the original source maps must have been made before the present Antarctic ice cap covered the Queen Maud Land coasts.”
    As for why Antarctica would be connected to South America, another historian has an answer.
    Dr. Charles Hapgood, the professor and historian that Burroughs had sent his letter to, claimed that in the past coastlines were exaggerated in size in order to make details easier to see. In the name of these details, coastal accuracies were often overlooked, resulting in continents that seemed more connected.
    The map was based on other maps previously drawn by greek, portugese or other explorers and was thought to be the most complete map in the world when presented to the sultan.

Simo Hayha, The White Death. Wandered alone in the freezing forests of Finland sniping the soviets one by one. He killed 504 to 542 of them in less than 100 days and entire operations of the Red Army were organized just to catch him. He was wounded during the war, as a bullet went through his mouth leaving him scarred for life, but he lived to tell the tale and died aged 96 in 2002.

Simo Hayha, The White Death. Wandered alone in the freezing forests of Finland sniping the soviets one by one. He killed 504 to 542 of them in less than 100 days and entire operations of the Red Army were organized just to catch him. He was wounded during the war, as a bullet went through his mouth leaving him scarred for life, but he lived to tell the tale and died aged 96 in 2002.

Over 500.
    No.​

yeah dude got shot on his fucking jaw, stayed conscious, killed the enemy units and walked back to his fucking squadron

what a champ

The rhomphaia polearm, used by thracians as early as 400 BC. The romans had to add extra protective layers to their helmets, because it was so powerful.

​That looks pretty crazy.
    No.​

Looks crazy indeed

polearm?

polearm?
    Its blade would be 80 cm and it's tang 50 cm. It is categorized as a polearm.

Its blade would be 80 cm and it's tang 50 cm. It is categorized as a polearm.
    is it like a two handed sica

i've never seen it before

is it like a two handed sica

i've never seen it before
    Neither had I. I knew it was an ancient weapon, but I thought it was an illyrian one, since its name is the origin of our word for thunderbolt, but I was wrong. Looks badass as hell though.

Neither had I. I knew it was an ancient weapon, but I thought it was an illyrian one, since its name is the origin of our word for thunderbolt, but I was wrong. Looks badass as hell though.
    it does. I'd use the shit out of it if i had one

maybe i'll make one

it does. I'd use the shit out of it if i had one

maybe i'll make one
    You make weapons now bolid?

You make weapons now bolid?
    of course man

I reenact, remember