Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    yep

that's really warfare for dummies 1.0, as in that's knowledge you can't really go without in certain lines of work

Some of sun tzu's proverbs were applicable to Go if I remember correctly

Although his advices may seem like simple and pretty straightforward in the book, the guy was legit one of the greatest generals in terms of strategising in battle.

@Pimp of Pimps @White @Makenzye @Ichiryuu @Crispickle @Juan @Emperor Whitebeard;

Continuing on the topic of east asian history. The Battle of Jieting is a classic example of relying to much on the books.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jieting

Fought between Shu Han and Cao Wei kingdoms, in the early 3rd century AD. The Wei army attacked the crucial strategic location of Jie Ting in order to cut off supplies for Shu Han's expedition against them. Shu's chancellor Zhuge Liang sent his general Ma Su to counter the enemy and explicitly ordered him not to make camp on high ground, but check the enemy along the road.

Once he arrived on location however, Ma Su thought it was better to capture the hill overlooking the valley, despite his fellow officer Wang Ping urging him to stay close to the water supplies in the city. As he had expected, the Wei army encircled the hill and cut of the water supplies for Ma Su, later setting fire to the hill. Wang Ping's relief force was defeated and Ma Su's force was crushed. After he returned Ma Su was set to be executed, having pledged his life for the defense of Jieting, but died in prison.

After this loss, the Shu Army was nearly cut off and had to abandon their expedition north due to a shortage of supplies.

@Pimp of Pimps @White @Makenzye @Ichiryuu @Crispickle @Juan @Emperor Whitebeard;

download.jpg

The sica knife. Its curved shape was designed so that it can bypass the enemy's shield. Used extensively by the romans, dacians, illyrians and thracians. The etymology of the word is of proto-indo european origin, meaning "to cut." In our language a knife is still called "thika", very similar to sica. A similiar word is used in a couple other languages I think for cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Whitebeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

download.jpg

The sica knife. Its curved shape was designed so that it can bypass the enemy's shield. Used extensively by the romans, dacians, illyrians and thracians. The etymology of the word is of proto-indo european origin, meaning "to cut." In our language a knife is still called "thika", very similar to sica. A similiar word is used in a couple other languages I think for cutting.
    Was it supposed to cut the arm or hand or just anything really?

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

download.jpg

Nice. How big are they, usually? I might get something like this for my collection, if I can find a good quality one.
    No.​

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    Was it supposed to cut the arm or hand or just anything really?
    Mainly the arm holding the shield. It was also used by illyrian assasins called sicarius to carry out stealthy assassinations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    Nice. How big are they, usually? I might get something like this for my collection, if I can find a good quality one.
    Somewhere around 30-40 cm in length and 3 cm in width.

Mainly the arm holding the shield. It was also used by illyrian assasins called sicarius to carry out stealthy assassinations.
    Was the aim for the enemy to drop their shields, or just wound/weaken in general

Was the aim for the enemy to drop their shields, or just wound/weaken in general
    Wound or weaken. This would stab the opponent from the side, causing as much damage as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    they're pretty short, not longer than gladii, so around 50cm or 60cm tops. Haven't seen longer than this.

for what i know, they were not the most efficient weapon in a face to face battle, but it had a large use among gladiators because that's the kind of thing that allowed a lot of blood splattering but with the least risk of being fatal

Wound or weaken. This would stab the opponent from the side, causing as much damage as possible.
    I see, but I imagine if this bypasses shields and cuts the arm (assuming the one holding the shield) the enemy would be forced to drop their shields and they end up way more open.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    they're pretty short, not longer than gladii, so around 50cm or 60cm tops. Haven't seen longer than this.

for what i know, they were not the most efficient weapon in a face to face battle, but it had a large use among gladiators because that's the kind of thing that allowed a lot of blood splattering but with the least risk of being fatal
    True this was used mostly in gladiator fights or assassinations.
    I see, but I imagine if this bypasses shields and cuts the arm (assuming the one holding the shield) the enemy would be forced to drop their shields and they end up way more open.
    Yeah, this would do some nasty damage to the arm holding the shield. It might go as far as immobilizing the army entirely that's true. That's the reason many gladiators used it. Although it doesn't kill you right away, it allows for a lot of blood to be spilled, as Crispy said.
    Last edited by Emperor Whitebeard; Today at 07:00 PM.

While researching some topics, I came across the celtic invasion of the Balkans. After this capaign, many called the tresure of Delphi, the cursed treasure.

The celtic warriors coming from the north, embarked on the Great Expedition, with at least 150.000 troops.
    The celts were able to subdue tribes north of Illyria, the present day Croatia, Bosnia and northern Serbia. They succeded in defeating one of the most powerful tribes of the north, the Autaritae. Their goal was the reach the wealthy greek city-states, mainly the city of Delphi, where there was a famous treasure. In their way there stood the powerful kingdom of Macedonia. Although all the balkan states were very careful and took measures to deal with the celtic invasion, the macedonian king Ptolemy, was largely unfazed by the celts' advance. The Dardanian Kingdom offered as much as 20.000 troops to support Macedonia against the celts, despite the illyrians and macedonians being in a struggle for superiority for centuries, over the province of Paionia, or present day FYROM. Ptolemy rudely rejected the assistance. The dardanian king Monunius, is recorded to have said that the once great kingdom of Macedonia would fall because of a young man's foolishness.

And so did happen. The celtic army under Bolgios routed the macedonians in battle and killed Ptolemy. A macedonian noble under the name of Sosthenes, was able to reorganise the defense and drive back Bolgios, but another celtic general, Brennus, defeated him and raided Macedonia. After that, the celtic troops marched towards the greek city states. They clashed with the athenians in the Battle of Thermopylae, but were badly defeated. Furthermore, the celts retreated into Dardania. The dardanians retaliated hard. It is said that the celtic army was all but wiped out in dardanian lands.

This Great Expedition, as the celts called it, turned disastrous. It is one of the most brutal defeats the celts have suffered.
    Last edited by Emperor Whitebeard; Today at 07:25 PM.