Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    top 3 when it comes to ongoing battle manga imo

its an ok manga. you have to get used to a lot of things, its very classical in a sense of a lot of muscular men.

it has also one of the most annoying shonen main characters in recent times.

Yeah Komatsu needs to cowboy up.
    <a href=http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic689_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.millenniumforums.com/sign...igpic689_5.gif</a>

Is Toriko worth it?

So, I really want to give this show a chance, but for some reason I can't get myself to start reading it.

People say the show is brilliant etc. But a show that concentrates on food? I really don't know....

Are there good reasons to get into it?

http://www.millenniumforums.com/show...hy-read-Toriko

See the above.

The food aspect is actually really well handled. it occasionally gets repetitive, but this soon disappears as fresh new ways of handling it are cooked up.

It's really fun, has excellent world-building, and very likeable characters. It's not brilliant, i won't lie, but if you enter it with a pretty light-hearted mode, you should love it.

Bit too heavy on the bromance sometimes.
    Last edited by Porcelainpot; 05-30-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Is it worth what? The time you spend reading it?

You can't tell till you read it. People have different tastes, and there are plenty that dislike Toriko. But seeing as it's a relatively new series, I don't see why you wouldn't take your chances and give it a go. You got little to lose and another favorite manga to gain.

If you do not like it, you do not like it. There is not much others can do to change that.

As for good reasons:

-action scenes are well done
    -likable characters
    -Shima explains many thing in great detail
    -decent world building
    -creative environments
    -interesting abilities

On the top of my head.

The food thing puts everyone off at first, but the author incorporates it extremely well.

Banned
    Read it. I am currently going through my second read to give it another chance. If I can give it a second chance, you can give it a first chance.

It starts off slow but it picks up real nice towards the regal arc.

Toriko has the combat of Bleach but with a storyline.
    Toriko has the storyline of One Piece with no filler whatsoever (at least half of One Piece is filler material).
    Toriko interesting characters of Naruto with far less flashbacks. Although it has Naruto's melodramatic streak (ie. Naruto-Sasuke = Toriko - Komatsu).

Unique Toriko stuff:
    - Plenty of dark humor
    - Author is not afraid to destroy characters to progress the storyline.

Okay, gonna give it a shot.

Seems like I won't see the outside for a few hours.

IncrediblyUnheteroRainbow Skadi's Avatar
    Whatever you do try the manga, not the anime ♥ (feel free to try the anime, but manga first, please)

I've heard the anime is actually better.

Toriko has the storyline of One Piece with no filler whatsoever

Its funny cause what you are probably imagining is filler is what makes OP's story superior.

Toriko is worth reading if you are into shounen.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard the anime is actually better.
    Eww whoever told you that lied.
    <a href=http://www.millenniumforums.com/signaturepics/sigpic689_5.gif target=_blank>http://www.millenniumforums.com/sign...igpic689_5.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedZeed View Post
    So, I really want to give this show a chance, but for some reason I can't get myself to start reading it.

People say the show is brilliant etc. But a show that concentrates on food? I really don't know....

Are there good reasons to get into it?
    Totally worth it. It starts slow but picks up at Ice Hell arc. Toriko vs Tommyrod is not just the best fight in the manga but one of the best in shounen. The fight was really cool and intense. That's where I truly started caring for the this manga.

After Ice Hell arc you are rewarded with Zebra's introduction. One of the coolest badasses in shounen. It's impossible to dislike the guy.

^Did you know that someone who openly stated that they disliked Zebra and that he was a stupid punk, was found in his room one morning with his eardrums blown out. I wonder what happened there

Quote Originally Posted by Smatterbite View Post
    Toriko has the combat of Bleach but with a storyline.
    Thank God this isn't true seeing as the fights in Bleach are terrible.

Toriko has the storyline of One Piece
    How?

with no filler whatsoever
    There were chapters dedicated to Gourmet Santa and screaming apples....

Toriko interesting characters of Naruto
    No. Don't.

- Plenty of dark humor
    What dark humor? God, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Author is not afraid to destroy characters to progress the storyline.
    I don't even know what this means.

Yeah, in spite of this ridiculous post, I promise you that Toriko is actually worth it.
    Last edited by Ringo; 06-01-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Thank God this isn't true seeing as the fights in Bleach are terrible.
    Bleach is a series of battles all up to end of Aizen arc lol. Bleach is all about matchups. Same with Toriko.

How?
    The whole world is looking for "God" such as the whole world is looking for "One Piece". The adventure plot takes place going towards that goal.

There were chapters dedicated to Gourmet Santa and screaming apples....
    That's part of the LORE. What "filler" i'm talking about is the unnecessary dialogue from One Piece. Go read the silly Punk Hazard arc. There's so much filler 'dialogue' in there. If that was Toriko. Do you think there would be chit-chat? You could literally cut the dialogue in half and the story would be pretty much the same. You're a bit naive if you don't realize the author is trying to stretch the storyline.

No. Don't.
    Don't what? Elaborate lol. And want to know what "awesome" manga you're reading. Seems to be what you're implying LOL.

What dark humor? God, you have no idea what you're talking about.
    You never read the Manga? It's full of dark humor. Remember the Zebra forecast? That's called Dark humor. The president 'teaching' Toriko how to skip on water by punching him out is another example. That's called dark humor.

I don't even know what this means.
    Means you didn't read the Manga.

Yeah, in spite of this ridiculous post, I promise you that Toriko is actually worth it.
    Keep insisting you got the gist of Toriko lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stilzkin View Post

Its funny cause what you are probably imagining is filler is what makes OP's story superior.

Toriko is worth reading if you are into shounen.
    Yeah. I likely stepped on OP fans' tails, but sorry, to me those extra dialogues in One Piece isn't story. Just my opinion. One recurring, repetitive example are characters making "angry/funny" faces at each other.