Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shogun View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not really interested in seeing the abilities of the chefs, knowing that their accomplishments will be overshadowed by the 4HK's anyways. If they were part of the actual plot/story and had more screentime I would care more, but at the moment I just don't feel it.
    This is really their first time to show what they've got , you don't think you're being somewhat preemptive considering we haven't even seen anything yet? Don't get me wrong I can understand why you're not bursting out of your shoes with excitement, but I would assume it would be more logical to have a neutral disposition to this part of the arc instead of going in with the mindset that a absolutely nothing will impress you or make you feel enjoyment. At least that's my take on it

The Indomitable Spirit The Shogun of Shoguns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WILD View Post
    This is really their first time to show what they've got , you don't think you're being somewhat preemptive considering we haven't even seen anything yet? Don't get me wrong I can understand why you're not bursting out of your shoes with excitement, but I would assume it would be more logical to have a neutral disposition to this part of the arc instead of going in with the mindset that a absolutely nothing will impress you or make you feel enjoyment. At least that's my take on it
    I am just having a low expectation of these chefs to begin with so I can't be disappointed if they do end up being lackluster.
    Basically reserving judgment on these chefs until I see what they all have done. If Yuda is any indication of what's to come for the following battles i'm not really hyped about this tournament. But as I said I have expectations really low for this tournament anyways, hopefully I will be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shogun View Post
    I am just having a low expectation of these chefs to begin with so I can't be disappointed if they do end up being lackluster.
    Basically reserving judgment on these chefs until I see what they all have done. If Yuda is any indication of what's to come for the following battles i'm not really hyped about this tournament. But as I said I have expectations really low for this tournament anyways, hopefully I will be surprised.
    I think we haven't seen enough to really validate any expectations we have for the tournament just yet, but I can see where you're coming from.

this is getting a bit off topic

I've thought about reading this because it gets high praise from everyone in this forum. But something about the concept of food throws me off

@Loki; believe me, you are not the only one. Many folks decided to skip Toriko just because the food premise sounds silly, but it's not just about that. Give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I've thought about reading this because it gets high praise from everyone in this forum. But something about the concept of food throws me off
    The heart of the manga isn't really in the food, it's the Gourmet age and food plays a big part of the world, but the ingredients are mainly just the reward, the goal they strive for.

The actual heart of the manga is in the adventure. Toriko is a food hunter, the story is more about the journey to acquire the ingredients than actually eating or cooking them, watching him travel and adapt through the most hazardous and unforgiving terrain to reach his goal. The very first ingredient he goes after is a giant Alligator considered too dangerous for a squad of armed men to go after, and the meat of the arc is just hunting it down. Not all of the threats come in the form of environments are beasts either, he goes up against villainous organizations as well.

If you're looking for a manga where they really focus on foods and cooking methods I would recommend Shokugeki no Souma, but if you're looking for a good adventure manga with intense action sequences then Toriko would be my recommendation. The first ingredient with the gator is only two chapters, and can give you a general feel for the manga if you wanted to check it out.
    Last edited by Great Potato; 11-01-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Are the power levels as ridiculous as I've heard? Like characters sneezes being able to destroy a planet or w/e...

@Kanki; yep they are

Quote Originally Posted by Kanki View Post
    Are the power levels as ridiculous as I've heard? Like characters sneezes being able to destroy a planet or w/e...
    Some of the ingredients don't go down so easily, they need a certain degree of power in order to take them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Potato View Post
    The heart of the manga isn't really in the food, it's the Gourmet age and food plays a big part of the world, but the ingredients are mainly just the reward, the goal they strive for.

The actual heart of the manga is in the adventure. Toriko is a food hunter, the story is more about the journey to acquire the ingredients than actually eating or cooking them, watching him travel and adapt through the most hazardous and unforgiving terrain to reach his goal. The very first ingredient he goes after is a giant Alligator considered too dangerous for a squad of armed men to go after, and the meat of the arc is just hunting it down. Not all of the threats come in the form of environments are beasts either, he goes up against villainous organizations as well.

If you're looking for a manga where they really focus on foods and cooking methods I would recommend Shokugeki no Souma, but if you're looking for a good adventure manga with intense action sequences then Toriko would be my recommendation. The first ingredient with the gator is only two chapters, and can give you a general feel for the manga if you wanted to check it out.
    Well this is pretty convincing already. I've always had the notion that it was focused heavily on food. First impressions told me he would only be dealing with animals/beasts when I read the first three chapters a few years ago. It's good to know he goes against villanous organizations as well

Do you recommend the manga or anime? I wouldn't mind watching a long series

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Well this is pretty convincing already. I've always had the notion that it was focused heavily on food. First impressions told me he would only be dealing with animals/beasts when I read the first three chapters a few years ago. It's good to know he goes against villanous organizations as well

Do you recommend the manga or anime? I wouldn't mind watching a long series
    Don't go anywhere near the anime, the Toriko anime is infamous for how bad they butchered the series. They censored all of the gore, inserted their own annoying OC character, and then went off the rails entirely and started making massive changes to the story itself right before it got cancelled.

Because it's completed