Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why read Toriko?

There are a lot of manga to read out there, so why pick up Toriko? I suppose the concept of a manga being based around food could be a turn off, but it's a lot more than that.

Discussion
    If you're looking for a manga to discuss on the forum than this is the most popular next to One Piece. If you joined a manga forum chances are you want to discuss manga, and Toriko will have much more activity than those single thread series like Fairy Tail.

Length
    Toriko is less than 200 chapters into the manga; compared to other popular manga like Naruto or One Piece, it will be easy to catch up to and follow along.

Story
    The plot starts out with a gourmet company wanting to capture an old Galala Crocodile, unfortunately it has a capture level over five, which makes it near impossible for a normal human to accomplish. We are introduced to our title character Toriko, when one of the staff reccomends him for the job. This is the pretty much how the story goes about on a basic level, Toriko finds an ingredient he wants to go after, and than goes to eat it.

From this you might get the impression that the manga is some dull story about eating, however the capture level system becomes apparent too. At first glance it appears to be similar to the generic power level ranking for the ingredients. That would be wrong, their capture level can be decided by strength, environment, how hard it is to cook, and even how hard it is to eat. This makes Toriko a great adventure manga, as you watch him travel through a vast amount of crazy environments, from freezing glaciers, to deep crevaces, to the oxygen depleted stratosphere; it becomes apparent that the manga's as much about adventure as it is food.

The ingredients themselves are never easy to cook, such as the Puffer Whale, which instantly becomes poisonous if it gets cut the wrong way. Shima is a master at description and can make even cooking or gambling seem insanely dramatic, this along with the great special effects fortunately carry into the food, which makes the reward of them finally getting it all the more satisfying.

Characters
    Different from a lot of current Shonen because the main characters aren't teenagers. I find it refreshing, and it adds a touch of maturity. The supporting cast offers a wide range of well developed personalities and are easy to grow attached to, and their interactions with eachother are interesting to see.

Battles

The battles are pretty good. Something that sets this aside from some standard shones is that you will visibly see Toriko develop and grow stronger before your very eyes, adapting to his environment, and growing tougher during battles. Despite his progress throughout the series, it's also apparent that he has a gigantic ways to go before he reaches the top. The battles themselves can end up very intense; seeing two mountains of grit and muscle pound on eachother while soaked in blood is pretty cool, and the abilities can be really varied and keep you on the edge of your seat.

Art
    This comes down to personal preference mainly. Though Shima does a lot of stuff to touch up, the beasts can look extremely intimidating, and some of the characters even moreso. The special effects he uses on the ingredients can make them seem that much more delicious.

Feel free to add anything to this if you read the series, just try not to add spoilers.

This deserves a sticky

This looks cool. Great Job Potates.

Awesome thread. Stickied.

King of Explodo-Kills DoflaMihawk's Avatar
    Why not read Toriko is a better question.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why not read Toriko is a better question.
    Because making a thread about why you shouldn't read Toriko wouldn't attract much new readers.

The humor is pretty nice too imo.

A friend of mine has been encouraging me to read it for quite some time now. When I'm not too busy, I'll try giving it a shot. As for now, I'm much too busy trying to catch up to some TV shows.

Becuz Toriko and HxH are the only good shonens running at the moment.If there's manga on One Piece level it's gotta be current Toriko

HunterxHunter is on hiatus, so right now it's just Toriko and One Piece. I highly recommend it Harard.

Even if its on hiatus,it has 340 chapters worth readinG.

Thanks for this! The concept of a cooking manga made me doubt if it's any good. And I wasn't sure where I could get a good description of it without spoilers so this was helpful.

You should definitely check it out, amazing series.

Sounds awesome,
    I think I am gonna check it out soon.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ส็็็ Tendou's Avatar
    Toriko is shit .

Be warned that it has a slow start. The Regal Mammoth Arc is where is starts to get good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    Be warned that it has a slow start. The Regal Mammoth Arc is where is starts to get good.
    Nope. I wasn't bored at all from the beginning. Its very interesting. But Hunter x Hunter on the other hand, Greed Island is booooring and training training training training training training and training. Explanation explanation explanation explanation and explanation. I hope I'll finish Greed Island soon.
    Luffy stomping Crocodile:

In your dreams faggots!

After G.I u got the Chimera Ant arc which is gotta be the best arc after York Shin so keep reading HxH.

^ Yeah I finished GI yesterday and Now I m entering into Chimera Ant arc. I hope its a good arc. Toriko is fucking awesome dude. I remember you and pops recommending me Toriko on NF in a thread Rob Lucci created. Thank you.
    Luffy stomping Crocodile:

In your dreams faggots!

Quote Originally Posted by G-5 View Post
    ^ Yeah I finished GI yesterday and Now I m entering into Chimera Ant arc.I hope its a good arc.
    Gratz.Hope u'll enjoy the Chimera Ant arc as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by G-5 View Post
    Toriko is fucking awesome dude. I remember you and pops recommending me Toriko on NF in a thread Rob Lucci created. Thank you.
    Yeah.It's probably the only current manga on par with One Piece.No problem.