Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Dedede View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I bore you PoPs?

Anyway, @Akira, had any class about cisterna chyli?
    Yeah, I remembered it when when I dissected the corpse, which served as a model in the regional anatomy class, 3 years ago ( It's been a while now )

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Yeah, I remembered it when when I dissected the corpse, which served as a model in the regional anatomy class, 3 years ago ( It's been a while now )
    So what do you know about it? (embryology, anatomy, physiopathology etc, especially pathologies, I'm taking anything we have a presentation to do in anatomy classes instead of learning about it regularly and finding interesting things on the web seems hard (at least I haven't found much for the last category)

So what do you know about it? (embryology, anatomy, physiopathology etc, especially pathologies, I'm taking anything we have a presentation to do in anatomy classes instead of learning about it regularly and finding interesting things on the web seems hard (at least I haven't found much for the last category)
    Sorry, just a basic " raw " anatomy presentation from the teacher
    The cisterna chyli is found on the right of the aorta at the level of vertebral bones T12, L1, L2 and L3 as lymphatics from the mesentery, intercostal, and lumbar regions ( retroperitoneal space )

Then later in the pathology, crossed the background of the chyle fistula, and then in clinical diagnosis
    Chyle fistula, as indicated by his name, is defined as a leakage or loss of lymphatic fluid from the lymphatic vessels, typically accumulating in the thoracic cavities ( or abdominal ) but also sometimes, manifesting as an enterocutaneous ( external ) fistula.
    ( This is a simple overview of my PPT about the matter during my class in pathology )
    This condition has a relatively low incidence ( very rare ) which explain that we don't have much details than that
    There is also " Chylous ascites " , which is an accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity ( more archaically as abdominal dropsy )
    Well, this is the only two " morbid " conditions that I know from the pathology side
    Last edited by Akira; 02-25-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Yes. There's a coupling that goes between the channel being lit and it letting something go through it.
    I think the first one that was used was Bacteriorhodopsin (if I'm not mistaken it's been used for quite some time, Racker and Stoeckenius used it around 1975 I think but for something else entirely).
    It's capable of pumping an H+ when it's lit at a given wavelength. Well actually it's not a pump but a "mere" channel, as the ions it lets through can only flow in the sense of their electrochemical gradient (don't know if you're familiar with the rules that dictate the flow of species on each sides of the membrane).
    Then someone though that if you could express the gene of the protein into someone its cells would have a channel activated by light. They refined it to put that expression under the control of specific promoters, that are only active in some subtypes of cells (for example you can have it expressed only in GABA neurons and another one in Glutamate neurons). Since the activity of neurons is dictated by ions flows that allows you to control their activation.

And then they decided to refine it even further to be able to use different colors/wavelength to activate various channels so as to be able to act on closely packed populations of neurons and only activate on population. For example Chronos is activated by blue light while Chrimson is activated by red light.
    There is extensive research to modulate the kinetics and the absorption specters of the channels to avoid spectral cross talk etc, that is/was one of the main axis of Ed Boyden's lab in MIT.
    I think (but that's more an hypothesis) that it relies on messing with links that have redox properties (like retinol or DNA photolyase which use either double links or something like flavine to couple energy from light and a movement of a biological structure)

Tried to summarize the whole thing if others are interested too, hope I still answered correctly

Wow, that's amazing stuff right there.

Does it have any real medical uses currently or is it a more experimental thing right now?

Sure, Optogenetics is one of those methods, which can treat epilepsy

http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/02/maj...nding.html?m=1

- - - Updated - - -

Some significant advancement for the treatment of pancreatic cancer, apparently the 4th most lethal type of cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by WILD View Post
    http://nextbigfuture.com/2016/02/maj...nding.html?m=1

- - - Updated - - -

Some significant advancement for the treatment of pancreatic cancer, apparently the 4th most lethal type of cancer.
    The key factor : miR-137, which is a potent tumor suppressor ( can inhibit melanoma cells proliferation for example )
    Restoration of this molecule can also reduce colon cancer by the same process
    But the question is : How restoring this molecule if the zone touched by the " tumor " can't express it again ? ( Sorry, but I don't start Oncology yet lol )
    Last edited by Akira; 02-26-2016 at 02:31 AM.

The key factor : miR-137, which is a potent tumor suppressor ( can inhibit melanoma cells proliferation for example )
    Restoration of this molecule can also reduce colon cancer by the same process
    But the question is : How restoring this molecule if the zone touched by the " tumor " can't express it again ? ( Sorry, but I don't start Oncology yet lol )
    I'm not profient in oncology whatsoever, so I do not know if that article itself elaborated on that. I would just assume the methodology of approaching it would be to prevent the growth of the tumor before it grows enough to adversely affect the area that's being referenced. Not sure, just a random guess

I'm not profient in oncology whatsoever, so I do not know if that article itself elaborated on that. I would just assume the methodology of approaching it would be to prevent the growth of the tumor before it grows enough to adversely affect the area that's being referenced. Not sure, just a random guess
    As far as I read ( and understand ), this article only highlight the solution to induce the senescence of the carcinoma ( Which is pretty damn good, knowing the vital function of this RNA molecule )
    but not how to trigger the restoration of this tumor suppressor ( or maybe it's me who didn't understand correctly the restoration method lol )
    Anyway, isn't more efficient to use " pancreatectomy " to remove the part of the pancreas which has the tumor, and then to prevent his grow ?
    Last edited by Akira; 02-26-2016 at 03:15 AM.

As far as I read ( and understand ), this article only highlight the solution to induce the senescence of the carcinoma
    but not how to trigger the restoration of this tumor suppressor ( or maybe it's me who didn't understand correctly the restoration method lol )
    Anyway, isn't more efficient to use " pancreatectomy " to remove the part of the pancreas which has the tumor, and then to prevent his grow ?
    Like i said, you're asking the wrong person. Dedede is the person to ask when it comes to this, since he's the med student.

Like i said, you're asking the wrong person. Dedede is the person to ask when it comes to this, since he's the med student.
    Fair enough, thanks you anyway for your link

Found that interesting:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/5...mple-yet-found

Maybe we could rename the thread "biology megathread" instead

Damn just realized I hadnt checked the past messages last time I came here

@PoPs it's supposed to be able to lead to medical application someday, but it doesn't have right now I think. Because you would need to include receptive neurons and a precise source of light to activate at the right moments etc. There are pretty interesting experiments on mice already but as to how it's going to be used on men, the question remains unanswered

Since Y posted a thing about Crispr/cas9 I fetched back a video that's pretty clear about it I think
    https://youtu.be/2pp17E4E-O8

Red Hero Rax, The Hero From Beyond's Avatar
    Thought this was about Medic mechanica

Your friendship?
    I'll take it!

@Dai Don Dedede; @Akira;

What nutrients or methods aid in neurological repair?

Heard something about scientists being able to make a 2nd skin layer so you can basically hide your wrinkles.

will share the first link I found on google about it

https://www.newscientist.com/article...r-so-it-seems/

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiryuu View Post
    Heard something about scientists being able to make a 2nd skin layer so you can basically hide your wrinkles.

will share the first link I found on google about it

https://www.newscientist.com/article...r-so-it-seems/

Yeah, I read about that. Awesome stuff.

Best thing about it is that it can be used to insert medicine into your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post

Yeah, I read about that. Awesome stuff.

Best thing about it is that it can be used to insert medicine into your body.
    I hadn't heard about that. That sounds interesting indeed.

RIP Chester, you'll always be loved and missed.

The Gourmet Legion - President Ichiryuu
    Join The Toriko Club, Read Toriko here!

The right side of my teeth hurt sometimes when I eat food or drink something cold. Any ideas why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    why is this even a thread