Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I finally found an interesting thing I could share because it's in english. A video on the ENS youtube channel, there are interesting ones in physics too

Video about fiber preventing strokes.

Had to read an article for class, sort of a review about autophagy (the topic in which the 2016 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine is interested, he's quoted in the artice), figured it may be interesting (to PoPs in particular because they mention it as a possible mechanism of positive effects induced by alimentary regimes )

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22078875

Hope you get access to the full article

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867411012761

Looks interesting. I'll try to read it today.

Here's a link to the PDF: http://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(11)01276-1.pdf

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313321.php

"Wang identified 160 possible protein candidates and stopped each of them being produced one by one in lab-grown human cells, in order to determine whether cell death would be prevented if one protein was eliminated. Of all the 160 proteins, the team identified macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) at the heart of the cell-death process."We're interested in finding out whether MIF is also involved in Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases,"

Potentially huge, especially for irreversible conditions like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. If the macrophage migration inhibitory factor proves to be the single cell that 'deals the final blow' to process of cell death then they can focus their attention on creating medications that inhibits this single protein

I'd imagine it to be ground breaking if that's the case. Ifthey can use the MIF inhibitor during the early the stages of neurodegenerative diseases, it can possibly prevent the condition from worsening. Not to say it'll be ineffective in the later stages, but if it works to prevent further damage then its still beneficial in maintaining function. It'd be most ideal to use earlier
    Last edited by Loki; 11-10-2016 at 01:04 AM.

https://www.statnews.com/2016/11/23/eye-transplant/

Some researchers are aiming for eye transplants within the next decade.

Sharingan, here I come!

That's actually interesting. The normal ACL procedure has some chronic side effects mainly involving pain and stiffness. It'll be a long term problem for most people even after the procedure. If this removes the lingering pain and stiffness from post-op then this is huge especially for athletes who tend to injure their ACL a lot more

Stumbled upon an interesting page with easy to understand videos on physiology

https://www.facebook.com/DrNajeeb/?h...ADS&fref=nf&ft[tn]=kC&ft[qid]=6381965595360037979&ft[mf_story_key]=-7865063955615366778&ft[ei]=AI%40bde96eeddbbe3cf7dde8ae19b9b3988f&ft[top_level_post_id]=10154723359245225&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=11&__md__=1

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313321.php

"Wang identified 160 possible protein candidates and stopped each of them being produced one by one in lab-grown human cells, in order to determine whether cell death would be prevented if one protein was eliminated. Of all the 160 proteins, the team identified macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) at the heart of the cell-death process."We're interested in finding out whether MIF is also involved in Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases,"

Potentially huge, especially for irreversible conditions like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. If the macrophage migration inhibitory factor proves to be the single cell that 'deals the final blow' to process of cell death then they can focus their attention on creating medications that inhibits this single protein

I'd imagine it to be ground breaking if that's the case. Ifthey can use the MIF inhibitor during the early the stages of neurodegenerative diseases, it can possibly prevent the condition from worsening. Not to say it'll be ineffective in the later stages, but if it works to prevent further damage then its still beneficial in maintaining function. It'd be most ideal to use earlier
    Damn this guy is courageous especially if he had to designe over a hundred shRNA and then transfect them sequentially in his neuron cultures

They'll have to find ways to bypass the hematoencephalic barrier for it to work though (unless they get an idea to go around it, something I'd like to explore for things like that would be transplanting a batch of reprogrammed cells that'd secrete what we need in response to a drug known to reach the brain, I'd be a tad bit salty if they did it before )

It would be interesting to see whether it's upregulated in mice and in human-mice chimeric brains

https://www.statnews.com/

Pretty cool website for medical news.

@Dai Don Dedede;

I'm reading a book titled "Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food" and so far it's really good. It seems to mostly cover epigenetics and the effects modern food has on it.

Yeah, people need to cut a lot of stuff from their diet these days there's a lot of garbage that we eat. Anything processed needs to be taken out of the diet.

It's actually how crazy how much of an influence diet has on your health. The saying you are what you eat couldn't be more true. You can solve a lot of medical issues by transforming your diet, getting quality sleep and exercising well.

“With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! Whether it's impossible or laughable, this is the path that ALL great men walk! If there's a wall in our way, we'll break it down! If there's no path, we'll make it with our own hands! The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!Everlasting Combination: Gurren Lagann! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! Believe in you who believes in yourself!! Isn't your Drill the one that will pierce the heavens, the earth and through to tomorrow?”
    -- Kamina

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    Yeah, people need to cut a lot of stuff from their diet these days there's a lot of garbage that we eat. Anything processed needs to be taken out of the diet.

It's actually how crazy how much of an influence diet has on your health. The saying you are what you eat couldn't be more true. You can solve a lot of medical issues by transforming your diet, getting quality sleep and exercising well.
    According to this book I'm reading, the main culprits are vegetable oils (canola oil, grapeseed oil etc) and refined sugars. The former seems to generate trans fats when heated. If we ate the same foods, but used olive oil or peanut oil or butter we'd likely be a lot healthier.The book also talks a lot about how Ancel Keys purposefully led people to believe that ALL fats were bad.

It even talks about the effect poor nutrition can have on future generations by changing a person's epigenetic makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimp of Pimps View Post
    According to this book I'm reading, the main culprits are vegetable oils (canola oil, grapeseed oil etc) and refined sugars. The former seems to generate trans fats when heated. If we ate the same foods, but used olive oil or peanut oil or butter we'd likely be a lot healthier.The book also talks a lot about how Ancel Keys purposefully led people to believe that ALL fats were bad.

It even talks about the effect poor nutrition can have on future generations by changing a person's epigenetic makeup.
    Yes, vegetable oils are a big problem. They tend to be a form of soy (something guys should completley avoid) which raises estrogen levels, leading to manboobs, less energy and weakening the effect testosterone has on you. And yes, there are definitely healthy fats you can use instead like coconut oil (which is immensely useful, you can even use it for your hair, oil pulling or moisturiser) and avocado oil. The good fats are very important to our survival. Very helpful for anyone looking to build a better physique as well.

It definitely does affect our sperm and eggs so this makes sense. Eat a lot of greens (or juice them so it's more effectively absorbed in your body) and you'll see great gains. It's incredibly fascinating. You can also build up your energy levels significantly and slow the effects of aging.

“With a man's soul and a strong back, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! Whether it's impossible or laughable, this is the path that ALL great men walk! If there's a wall in our way, we'll break it down! If there's no path, we'll make it with our own hands! The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!Everlasting Combination: Gurren Lagann! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE?! Believe in you who believes in yourself!! Isn't your Drill the one that will pierce the heavens, the earth and through to tomorrow?”
    -- Kamina

Yes, vegetable oils are a big problem. They tend to be a form of soy (something guys should completley avoid) which raises estrogen levels, leading to manboobs, less energy and weakening the effect testosterone has on you. And yes, there are definitely healthy fats you can use instead like coconut oil (which is immensely useful, you can even use it for your hair, oil pulling or moisturiser) and avocado oil. The good fats are very important to our survival. Very helpful for anyone looking to build a better physique as well.

It definitely does affect our sperm and eggs so this makes sense. Eat a lot of greens (or juice them so it's more effectively absorbed in your body) and you'll see great gains. It's incredibly fascinating. You can also build up your energy levels significantly and slow the effects of aging.
    Let us begin project superhealth.

And its crazy how overlooked diet is when it comes to health. Its arguably just as bad, if not, worse than smoking cigarettes and drinking. Excessive sugar destroys your blood vessels overtime, much like smoking does to our lungs. It leads to high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and heart disease. As far as I know, those are all in the top ten and when combined kills more people than alcohol, smoking, and car accidents.

I tried sugar fasting a couple summers ago. It was pretty difficult to do but this mental fogness get lifted and all the bloatness, lack of energy and overall shitty feeling you normally get disappear. Its like I was on a natural high.

Looking to do that again soon.

- - - Updated - - -

According to this book I'm reading, the main culprits are vegetable oils (canola oil, grapeseed oil etc) and refined sugars
    That's interesting. Didn't think it was up there with refined sugars.

Always doing it better Nikamara's Avatar

coconut is great! It's mainly what we use here at home for cooking. I mix it with tea tree oil for acne. And I also shave with it. It's better than any shaving cream money can buy. You get a close, clean shave. I just sit on the edge of the tub so I don't slip down and die lol.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ The real world is for those who can't imagine anything better.

Hunter x Hunter - Assassin Game! Click here and sign up today!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    That's interesting. Didn't think it was up there with refined sugars.

I was surprised too, I would have never known how bad for you the stuff is.

@Loki; Could you give more details about your sugar fast? I'm gonna work on cutting down on sugars again, so I'm interested in how it benefited you.
    Last edited by Pimp of Pimps; 02-16-2017 at 02:19 AM.

I was surprised too, I would have never known how bad for you the stuff is.

@Loki; Could you give more details about your sugar fast? I'm gonna work on cutting down on sugars again, so I'm interested in how it benefited you.
    Nothing special. I started sugar fasting around the same time I decided to shred some weight. My diet consisted of brown rice, vegetables and some form of protein like tuna, baked chicken and beef. I made several substitutes to avoid sugar. For example, instead of fruit juices, I drank water strictly and healthier alternative snacks like whole wheat crackers instead of cookies. I did this for a few months and the effects were noticeable. Its a huge commitment though because I found myself craving sugar for the first few weeks. You'll really notice how addicted you are to this substance. Once you stick to it though, you'll reap the benefits of higher energy level and cleared mental fogness.