Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess thread !

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So far
    It's so that they get time to prepare. As it appears, Karjakin even withdrew from a few tournaments he was supposed to play this year, which includes a tournament that starts next week with multiple top10 players (including the champ himself - He doesn't need to prepare against such a fly )

So, I know TMF is quite fond of those tier lists, so I'll do one for chess players, starting from bottom to top :

Fodders (F tier) : These guys either don't know the basic rules or just don't care about it. To your eyes, it may appear they play random moves in ANY position handed to them, and it's probably true.

Elo <1000

Begginers (D/low tier)

D- They know the rules, they know it's NOT A GOOD IDEA to give up pieces for nothing, but somehow they think all pieces are of about the same value. 1000<elo<1200

D Same as the tier below them, except that they have now get the idea that a pawn is worth much less than regular pieces. They're not really clear why a rook would be better than a bishop at this point, but hey, it might come someday. 1200<elo<1300

D+ Ok so these guys are no really slouch anymore. They've read somewhere that bishops and knights are worth 3 pawns, rook 5, a queen 9 or 10 depending on who you're listening to, and as opposed to D boys, they somehow use that information for their short trades. They even have begun to read stuff about basic tactics, but once a line ends up being longer than 3 moves long, they get lost. 1300<elo<1500

Club level players (C/mid tier)

C- Here, we finally see players that know more or less how to move their pieces, know how to threaten, to land traps and whatnot. They often miscalcul, but that is the path of a man that tries to beat his opponent, he sometimes get outplayed. He doesn't yet see how a Queen versus 2 minor pieces + 2 pawns could be good, he might underestimate the value of a 7 rank pawn, but he feels like he's getting a grasp on this complicated game. 1500<elo<1700

C Comes a time when one thinks he knows the patterns (mates, tactics, even a grasp on positional play), but he feels like he needs to learn how to get positions he "likes", positions he can harvest. Thus, he studies openings a little, he read (in diagonal) books about endings, about positional play. But what he likes the most is playing, a lot of blitz, whenever he has the occasion. At least the level he's at isn't that bad, he can beat 90% of the other players, which suits him. 1700<elo<1800

C+ Those have learnt all the basics (or so they think) : they know the different pawn structures, the different denominations for pawns (doubled, isolani ...), they know (or, again, think they do), when a bishop is better than a knight, or when it's the other way around, or even when a bishop is better than a rook (!). They can either calculate 10 moves long lines or know their opening theory from move 1 to 15 (if they knew both, they'd be experts). But actually, they are like Jon Snow. You've guessed it : they're indeed still clueless, and they prove it when after a won (or a lost) game, they tell you they understood nothing of it. 1800<elo<2000

Experts (B/high tier)

B- They are simply what a B+ player would be if he were to be well rounded (as well versed in tactics as in opening, strategy and endings ...). They're called experts, and not for no reason, at this level they can understand a position explained to them well enough to find relations between a Bg5 in Shvesnikov and c5 in the Semi-Slav (I'm inventing the names I'm no expert ) 2000<elo<2150

B The more you know, the more you feel clueless. They are on a sad island between the non-masters and the masters : good enough to calculate complicated mates AND understand it actually means nothing, but not strong enough to be called a master. Regardless, if one of those guys advices you against a move, you should listen (as well as to their explanation). 2150<elo<2250

B+ Fide master level. Masters. Let that think in you, because ... they're not really masters. They know almost all there is to know about the game, they can now solve almost any tactical problem you propose them. So why are they not rated higher then you ask ? If I knew I'd be a master myself 2250<elo<2400

Masters (A/top tier)

A- International Masters, that's how you call them. They can beat any club level players after 10 beers with 1' for them and 5' for the other guy with such assurance that they'll even bet money on it. Don't screw with them. 2400<elo<2500

A International GrandMasters, they're at the top of the world. Any guy that gets to this level soon enough in their career can begin to say "my objective is to play a world championship". In most case, they'll never be strong enough to actually qualify for such an event and don't ask me how they're able to play so precisely with such a high regularity, even in blindfolded. 10 sessions of 2 hours of lessons will up you one class in strength they say : maybe 2500<elo<2700

A+ In an informal way, we call them "super GrandMasters". Those are the ones that one can say about : he has a shot at the world title. When you watch they game, you don't actually understand all their games, but then comes the moment of the after game press conference, where they explain their game and it all falls into place. The list of these players as of now can be found here :

http://2700chess.com

World Champion tier (God/S tier)

S Magnus Carlsen, Prime Vladimir Kramnik, Prime Vishy Anand, Prime world champs from the past. Those guys, at their peak, could take on anyone. They're the legends of the game
    Last edited by Aliasniamor; 04-13-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasniamor View Post
    D+ Ok so these guys are no really slouch anymore. They've read somewhere that bishops and knights are worth 3 pawns, rook 5, a queen 9 or 10 depending on who you're listening to, and as opposed to C boys, they somehow use that information for their short trades. They even have begun to read stuff about basic tactics, but once a line ends up being longer than 3 moves long, they get lost. 1300<elo<1500
    I say hello

I say hello
    elo between 1300 and1500 seems accurate for you

Quote Originally Posted by aliasniamor View Post
    elo between 1300 and1500 seems accurate for you
    Gimme the key to improve. For my beautiful self to be lost in the D tier sounds... improper

Gimme the key to improve. For my beautiful self to be lost in the D tier sounds... improper
    Once I get to the B tier I'll tell you how to get to the C one

The Norway Chess tournament has begun ! On monday was the blitz deciding who will play what round with what color, which Magnus won convincingly (he started with 7.5/8 and played his last round game carelessly to finish with a sweet 7.5/9) :

Magnus Carlsen 7.5/9
    Anish Giri 6.5/9
    Maxime Vachier-Lagrave 6/9
    Vladimir Kramnik 6/9
    Levon Aronian 4.5/9
    Pentala Harikrishna 4/9
    Veselin Topalov 3/9
    Nils Grandelius, Li Chao B and Pavel Eljanov 2.5/9

And yesterday the first round of the classical tournament took place, with 3 white victories and 2 draws :

Magnus Carlsen (2851) 1 - 0 Pentala Harikrishna (2763)
    Vladimir Kramnik (2801) 1 - 0 Nils Grandelius (2649)
    Maxime Vachier-Lagrave (2788) 1/2 - 1/2 Li Chao B (2755)
    Anish Giri 1 - 0 Pavel Eljanov
    Levon Aronian (2784) 1/2 - 1/2 Veselin Topalov (2754)

http://en.chessbase.com/post/norway-...k-and-giri-win

For those interested, as of this moment the US championship is also taking place, with 3 world ten players in it : Fabiano Caruana (2795), Hikaru Nakamura (2787) and Wesley So (2773) http://en.chessbase.com/post/saint-l...-in-round-five

Read in the report of the end of the european chess championship of chessbase :

"

You might be wondering what is special about this image, and why it was chosen here. We
    do not know either. For reasons that baffle the author of this report, and the chess media
    at large, the photographer of the organizers almost never displayed images of any of the
    top boards, but instead posted endless photos of boards 100+ in all the rounds. In fact, the
    picture above was the only chess photo from the round nine gallery. Kind organizers, if you
    are going to hire a photographer, please choose one who knows what the heck he is doing."

Aeons of Misery and Bliss Cosmic Force Aegis's Avatar
    I liked "Majestic Chess" where they had like chapels, roman ceilings, oceanic caves, lava rendered terrain, a bit of glass, wood, dimension, or marble and such pieces, and they had for expert difficulty "Grandmaster, who's like 'spot you a queen'", and Silo, who's like, 'chess is my game', and maybe paris, don't remember, who's like, 'defeat is not logical' harhar a geek, ya, but I couldn't EVER beat beyond past about half difficulty, and you could pull in tips for a best next move, or even have various difficulty servers play each other.

And although the tips and negativities (and even seeing who's near you" gets far beyond fed up, they have that 4 move "I'm not looking" queen disposal, or even the biship and/or rook side diagonal gradually flanking in, or keep having "1 ROOK in FRONT of the OTHER", moving one line down at a time, 2 ahead of its previous position '1 ahead of each rook' and such.

It's very hard for me, and even on regular boards, kind of hard to tell how many queens, witches and barfing, throwing down it all in anger...

even the geeks and wierdos having such difficulty with keeping off board wreckers!
    I, the Legendary Dragon God of time, am the perfect One!

@Cosmic Force Aegis; I didn't know about that game It seems fun (sorry I answer just now, I had let die this thread a bit )

So, there've been a tremendous amount of news that would be worthy to tell, but I'll wrap this all by talking about the upcoming (first round is today !) of the 42d chess olympiad. Here are the lineups of the favorite teams !

1. USA They might not have the highest average elo of the field, they're still second, and only to Russia. What's more, unlike Russia, they are the only team who sends 3 (!) players currently in the world top 10, all of them being in the previous candidates tournament.

Here's their line up :

Fabiano Caruana (24 yo), 3d in the world with an elo of 2808, he's consistently performing at a very high level, his best achievement being his St-Louis performance last year that allowed him to obtain the 3d highest elo in history behind only Carlsen and Kasparov. Very consistent player, he rarely loses these days, though his winrate isn't as high as the expectations pegged it to be after his staggering performance last september in St-Louis.

Hikaru Nakamura (28 yo), 6th in the world with an elo of 2789, his offensive style is both wild and efficient, especially in blitz and bullet, where he shines the most (3d in the blitz rating list (though Ding Liren is overrated at this hour and day) and 2d in the rapid one). It's been nearly two years that he's been working on his strategical abilities with good results, even ranking 2d in the world during one month.

Wesley So (22 yo), 7th with an elo of 2782, he's rising up the charts right now, each day sees him go a little higher. He's very professional about chess, maybe the hardest worker of the top 3 US players. A star in the becoming. http://en.chessbase.com/post/intervi...ment-wesley-so

Samuel Shankland (24 yo), 58th in the world with 2679 elo, he's had a fantastic 2015-2016 season, entering the top 100 for the first time only a short time ago and still rising up, and usually shines even brighter in team competition.

Sub : Ray Robson (22 yo), 67th with 2674, a young and promising talent too, the second youngest player to earn the GM title after only Caruana, though he's not yet demonstrated all the potential some saw in him early.

As you can see, team USA is also very young, which is very promising for future events as well. What's more, the trend continues down with the younger players. Indeed, they have a program that started some time ago and starts to bear fruits (with the highest players born in the year 2001, 2002 (the first 2 are americans), and 2004), which is highlighted by chessbase in an article about the 2016 junior world Champion Jeffery Xiong "A group of young and promising chess players are assessed and evaluated by Garry Kasparov himself, along with KCF President and FIDE Senior Trainer Michael Khodarkovsky. The lead coach for this program is the world famous Alexander Chernin. This was designed as a 5 year program commenced in 2012. Jeffery's championship is a culmination of the 5 year program. Other stars include Kayden Troff and Sam Sevian, who won the World Youth Championship under 14 and 12 respectively, Awonder, twice World Youth under 8 and 10, Carissa Yip tied for first at the World Youth under 12, and Ashritha Eswaran who was the 2015 Continental Girls Junior champion under 20. "

http://en.chessbase.com/post/jeffery...unior-champion

2. Russia I might put them in second place here, but their lineup is as impressive as ever, with the "weakest" of their players being 28th in the world (anyone would dream for their sub to be that strong)

Line up :

Vladimir Kramnik (41 yo), 4th in the world with 2808 elo, ex world champion, is one whose style inspired Carlsen himself. He's knowledgeable, calculates lines better than most youngster despite being in his forties now. A beast who can beat (and has beaten) anobody.

Karjakin (26 yo), 9th int eh world with 2769 elo, challenger for the world title against Carlsen later this year (november). He qualified by winning the candidates tournament without losing any game in a field including Caruana, Nakamura, So, Giri, Anand (ex world champion), Svidler and Aronian. Without losing any game during the tournament. The best achievement of his career. You can see glimpses of that event above in this very thread.

Grischuk (32 yo), 13th in the world with 2754 elo, 2 times participant in candidates tournaments.

Ian Nepomniachtchi (26 yo), 21th with 2740 elo. He's a second of Carlsen, and even though he sometimes plays weird moves, I just love his style

Evgeny "doctor" Tomashevsky (29 yo), 28th in the world with 2731. He's nicknamed the doctor by his peers for his incredible knowledge when it comes to theory, and openings more particularly. Which could come in handy for his teammates during this competition.

3. China I have not much to say about them, but the most promising talent to bring down Carlsen in the future years is among them, AND they have the third highest average elo, so they're worth talking about !

line up :

Ding Liren (23 yo), 14th in the world with 2753 elo.

Li Chao (27 yo), 17th in the world with 2746 elo.

Wang Yue (29 yo), 24th in the world with 2737 elo.

Yu Yangyi (22 yo), 29th in the world with 2725 elo.

And my favorite youngster : Wei Yi (17!! yo), 25th in the world with 2717 elo.

As you can see, they're the youngest team too, with still the 3d highest average elo. They've already won the gold medal in this event once, they can do it again.

Other stars are playing (only 3 or 4 players from the 20 best in the world aren't playing in this event), such as the world champion himself, Magnus Carlsen, who cannot hope for great things here since the Norway team doesn't stack up (only one other player in the top 100 beside the world Champ), Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, currently 2d in the world, with a French team averaging near the 2700 elo and 3 players in the top 100 (they could be trouble makers). And many more !

Here's a list of the top players : http://2700chess.com/?per-page=100

Here's the tournament page on chessgames : http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=88008

On chessbomb (to follow the games live) : http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/-/201...-olympiad-baku

Wei Yi scored quite quickly

http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2016-...i-Sadiku_Bedri

- - - Updated - - -

his opponent wasn't even an IM though, so nothing to be ashamed of for the loser of that game. But still

Is getting an epithet a rare thing in chess.

Remember my last Nuzlocke. Well, I lost the cartridge somewhere and that one won't be finished. Lucky for You I will start a new one soon.

Coming to the entertainment section soon.

The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

It is. Magnus Carlsen is know as "The Mozart of Chess", Tomas as "the doctor" but besides them I cannot think of others from the current gen. Kaspy was called a "monster with a thousand eyes who sees all", Anand "The lightning kid" for his propension to play very good moves very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post
    Is getting an epithet a rare thing in chess.
    there have been a bunch over the last century... mostly world champions.

Morphy - Pride and Sorrow of Chess (think he got this after his death)
    Capablanca - Human Chess Machine
    Petrosian - "Iron Tigran"
    Kasparov - Beast of Baku
    Anand - Tiger of Madras
    Blackburne - The Black Death
    Kramnik - Iceman
    Botvinnik - The Great Stone Face
    Carl Schlechter - The Drawing Master
    Viktor Korchnoi (who passed away this summer) - Viktor The Terrible
    Topalov - Battling Bulgarian (Kasparov called him this in How Life Imitates Chess)

and of course, Tal.

The Magician from Riga

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2016-ba...-draw-by-sudan

As the title of the chessbase article suggests, the most surprising result in r1 was the draw tha Sudan managed to snatch from Bulgaria, with a 400 elo difference per board. Magnificient performance. Apart from that, mainly it was 4-0 crushes this round.

Also, I wondered why Aronian, 5th player in the world, wasn't playing in this event, and it appears Armenia isn't taking part because the event is being held in Baku (and we all know the geopolitical issues between Azerbaidjan and Armenia). Armenia's absence is quite sad, they would have been a contender for a medal, seeing how they snatched 3 golds in their last 5 participations !

Round 2's pairing are already more interesting, and we'll have the first GM vs GM matches : http://chess-results.com/tnr232875.a...flag=30&wi=821

Belgium playing on board 3 against China

Also, Carlsen, MVL and Caruana are entering the tournament today (along with other first board players who were kept at bay for round 1)

The second round was mainly only 4-0 victories for the favorites, though USA dropped a draw to their opponent (with black), as did China on board 3 against Belgium (with Capone managing to draw Wei Yi in a nice ending !). Though there was a 2.5-1.5 upset from the Filipinos against the georgian 4th seed in the women section (as well as a draw managed by the teenage iranian team against Georgia again.)

In the 3d round though, we have the first "Super GM" match ups, with Rapport - Mamedyarov and Giri - Le Quang Liem

Round 2 : http://en.chessbase.com/post/2016-ba...climb-steepens

Pairings for round 3, which include England - Canada @Ava; invite your fellow canadians comrades here )

- - - Updated - - -

http://chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=3&rd=3&flag=30&wi=821

Mfw Crispy/Allara posts The Bald Headed Negro's Avatar
    We playing another game or what?

Not that this thread is about TMF's chess tournaments, but last time I tried to launch one, there wasn't that much enthousiasm Well, maybe I could try again once more soon @The Bald Headed Negro;

Regarding the chess olympiad, the USA are leading as of now and face Ukraine today ! (or so I think) check chessbase.com for more precise informations if you're interested !

Since I returned to the club yesterday for the first round of a tourney, a review of this first game is coming soon. My opponent wasn't very worthy though But it was a nice little warm up for the rounds to come @Crispinianus; You told me to say to you when this was coming, right ? Well, soon enough

Not very worthy