Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Chess thread !

And now Carlsen made it 2-0 against Dreev "I'm one of the 100 best chessplayers ever"

Many tournaments started and finished till my last comment, one won by Aronian, one by Carlsen, and this week there's a "champions showdown" going on in rapid and blitz.

Nakamura destroyed Topalov (a previous WC challenger) 60.5-31.5

Caruana managed to beat Grischuck in a close 49-43 match

Wesley so came back and won the closest of the four matches (something like 47.5-44.5) All are top 10 players but Topalov (he's 20th or so)

And now after only 3 days of the 4 days of their match, Carlsen has already won as Ding Liren (a top 10 player and candidate in the coming year) only scored 18 points out of the first 68 to be shared, which means that Magnus leads 50-18, which is quite unreal given that Ding is a candidate next year ...

Btw, here are the players already qualified for the candidates tourney next year :

Qualified as the loser of the last World Championship match :

Karjakin - 14th in the world

Qualified through the World Cup :

Aronian (winner) - second in the world
    Ding Liren (runner-up) - 10th

Qualified through rating :

Fabiano Caruana - 4th
    Wesley So - 6th

Wild card :

Kramnik - 7th

2 more players to be decided trrough the Grand Prix, the 4 possible person to take those two seats are :

Mamedyarov, third in the world, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave, 5th, Grischuk, 11th and Radjabov, 17th. The tournament that will decide who qualifies is this one : https://worldchess.com/

The line up for the candidates already looks quite stacked, I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Aliasniamor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lmao

Surprisingly enough... I used to be like that at some point in time... Tell me there's a good chess match going on at the moment and I'd leave class, girls, food, pretty much everything to watch it or attend it if I could lol

Being an addict to chess was awesome honestly.
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

http://www.chessmaniac.com/ELORating...s_Rating.shtml

Have fun with this "quiz", what elo did you get?

I got 1910... Obviously this is not realistic, do it for fun and read the text above before you start solving.
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post

I got 1910... Obviously this is not realistic, do it for fun and read the text above before you start solving.
    I got 2015, fun little quizz, though I'd like to have some objective assessment about some of those, cuz for like 2 of them I like my ideas much but was completely unsure if they were any good

Quote Originally Posted by Game Master View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post

how come? aren't you supposed to be better than me?

Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post

- - - Updated - - -

how come? aren't you supposed to be better than me?
    i am, in fact

these are just numbers

i am, in fact

these are just numbers
    Doesn't it seem convenient to say so from time to time ?
    @DreX; 1560 is a good number btw ;)

Doesn't it seem convenient to say so from time to time ?
    @DreX; 1560 is a good number btw ;)
    let's see if he's baited

i am, in fact

these are just numbers
    I see. Seems like these lolis helps you convince yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

let's see if he's baited

- - - Updated - - -

why i'm not seeing you challenging me to settle the score, drexel?

are you afraid?

- - - Updated - - -

What's that movie ?

- - - Updated - - -

https://lichess.org/blog/Wh36WiQAAMMApuRb/introducing-shield-tournaments

why i'm not seeing you challenging me to settle the score, drexel?

are you afraid?
    You know me well, lolicon. Indeed, naturally i'll have to beat you, but since you've put it that way, i won't take it to the chess board before the probability of me winning is not under 100%.

look forward to it, crispi.
    - - - Updated - - -

What's that movie ?

- - - Updated - - -

https://lichess.org/blog/Wh36WiQAAMM...ld-tournaments
    idk man. I didn't make it myself.
    https://giphy.com/search/wtf/
    Last edited by DreX; 11-30-2017 at 11:40 AM.

lmao

It's been a while, so I'll analyze here some of my games. I'll start with games played in interclub competition. Thus far, after 5 rounds I've played 3 times for the second team of my club, scoring 3 wins on my board.

Here's the latest one (easiest in my memory since I just played it yesterday).

I had black against Laurent Delescaille, whom I know a bit cuz he's one of the manager of the second most important club in Wallonia (Charleroi). I had never played against him and had prepared nothing whatsoever, so didn't know what to expect. Also he seemed very confident when arriving at the club and greated me with my name as if he'd known beforehand we were gonna play each other.

Enough with the talking now, let's show the game !

1.c4

Why a diagram ?? BECAUSE THIS IS ALREADY FUCKING WITH MY HEAD. I HATE THIS, I HATE IT !

1... Nf6 2.g3 g6 3.Nc3 d5

Some sort of a grunfeld (with g3 and Bg2 to come, probably a bit uncommon). I didn't to go into some mainlines where I guessed he would have known what to do. He told me after the game that after asking about me to players who've played me, he was completely expecting something like this

4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.Bg2 Nxc3 (after thinking for 15 minutes. I knew this was a correct decision but I didn't want to play like this. Maybe I should have gone for Nb6) 6.bxc3 Bg7 (what else really?) 7.Rb1

So here white is attacking b7 obviously, but can't we land some trap ? I think 0-0 was playable (7... 0-0 8.Bxb7?? Bxb7 9.Rxb7 Qd5 and black is winning), but instead I went for 7... Nd7!? (after Bxb7, black plays 8... Bxb7 9.Rxb7 Nb6 and the rook is somewhat trapped) He didn't fall into that trap (which is also a usefull developping move) and went for 8.d4 0-0 9.e4?! e5!

Blocking the Bg2's diagonal while disrupting white center, when his king is still in the middle of the board. d5? would be met by moves such as Nc5 supported by b6 and then Bb7/a6 developping the last piece quite harmoniously. Therefore what he played makes sense.

10.Ne2 c5(continuing to put pressure on white's center) 11.Be3 Qa5 12.Qd2?!

Black had equalized before that move, and now black is better I'd say, even if so slightly only. The next moves seem forced on white end. 12... cxd4 13.cxd4 Qxd2+ 14.Kxd2 (forced, else white loses a pawn) exd4 15.Bxd4 Rd8!

After re-evaluating the position, this is probably equal, because of the still inactive Bc8 that prevents black rooks to be linked. White's king being in the middle of the board as well as the pawn on a2 being isolated compensate fully for that though.

16.Rhd1! (good move, x-ray defense of the d4 square) Bxd4?! (a bit dubious, black should keep more pieces for pressure to pile up on white's position) 17.Nxd4 Ne5 18.Ke2 (not the most precise move but not that bad either, white had to move out of the pin, that much is for sure) b6 (the most precise) 19.f4?

The decisive mistake I think. WHite could have gone for 19.a4! with the idea that on 19...Ba6+ white can answer with 20.Nb5, the knight now being supported by a pawn on a4 that, despite being isolated, is hardly a weakness for now. This position would probably be equal.

After that mistake, here's how the game progressed : 19... Ba6+ 20.Kf2 Ng4+ 21.Kg1 Ne3 22.Rd2 (only move)

And now with quite some certainty black is better (close to winning I'd say). 22... Rac8, black now brings his last piece into the game, with the threat of Rc4 for example. 23.Bh3 (so that black doesn't have the possibility of playing Ng4+ after Rd4 Kf2) Rc4 24.Kf2 Rcxd4 25.Rxd4 Rxd4 26.Kxe3

This ending is completely winning for black, thanks to 26... Rd3+ (the reason why I accepted to exchange this much) 27.Kf2 (forced) Rd2+ 28.Kf3

Here I hesitated, unsure if I could take the h2 pawn, because of Bg2 "trapping" my rook which would need 2-3 moves to get out, that white can use to activate his own rook. 28... Rxa2 this seemed good enough, with 2 connected passed pawns supported by the rook. 29.Bf1? I think keeping the bishops on kept more chances of counter play for him, plus I had to move my bishop at some point anyway since it was blocking the a pawn's path till then. 29... Bxf1 30.Rxf1 b5 31.Rb1 a6

At this point I think it's oblectively won for black, but my opponent helped me with his next few moves. 32.h4? Ra3+! quite precise, forcing the king on the second rank, thus cutting himp from helping his own pawns to queen (white can always dream). Plus it attacks the g3 pawn so white needs to keep close to it in order no to lose that one. 33.Kg4?? h5+ 34.Kg5 Kg7 (and not Rxg3+ directly which helps white)

black threatens both f6# and Rxg3#, the only move is 35.f5 Rxg3+ 36.Kf4 Rg4+ 37.Kf3 gxf5! (the most precise once again) 38.exf5 Rxh4 39.Ra1 Ra4 40.Rh1 h4

White could (should ?) have resigned here, but instead he continued until mate was in sight:

41.Ke2 Kf6 42.Rf1 Ra3 43.Kd2 h3 44.Kc2 b4 45.Kb2 a5

46.Kb1 Rg3 47.Rh1 a4 48.Ka1 b3 49.Kb1 a3 50.Ka1 h2

With mate to follow shortly. Here's the lichess study https://lichess.org/study/AfeuM5zx (without commentary as of now). This game is the round 5 one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Alias View Post
    So, I know TMF is quite fond of those tier lists, so I'll do one for chess players, starting from bottom to top :

Fodders (F tier) : These guys either don't know the basic rules or just don't care about it. To your eyes, it may appear they play random moves in ANY position handed to them, and it's probably true.

Elo <1000

Begginers (D/low tier)

D- They know the rules, they know it's NOT A GOOD IDEA to give up pieces for nothing, but somehow they think all pieces are of about the same value. 1000<elo<1200

D Same as the tier below them, except that they have now get the idea that a pawn is worth much less than regular pieces. They're not really clear why a rook would be better than a bishop at this point, but hey, it might come someday. 1200<elo<1300

D+ Ok so these guys are no really slouch anymore. They've read somewhere that bishops and knights are worth 3 pawns, rook 5, a queen 9 or 10 depending on who you're listening to, and as opposed to D boys, they somehow use that information for their short trades. They even have begun to read stuff about basic tactics, but once a line ends up being longer than 3 moves long, they get lost. 1300<elo<1500

Club level players (C/mid tier)

C- Here, we finally see players that know more or less how to move their pieces, know how to threaten, to land traps and whatnot. They often miscalcul, but that is the path of a man that tries to beat his opponent, he sometimes get outplayed. He doesn't yet see how a Queen versus 2 minor pieces + 2 pawns could be good, he might underestimate the value of a 7 rank pawn, but he feels like he's getting a grasp on this complicated game. 1500<elo<1700

C Comes a time when one thinks he knows the patterns (mates, tactics, even a grasp on positional play), but he feels like he needs to learn how to get positions he "likes", positions he can harvest. Thus, he studies openings a little, he read (in diagonal) books about endings, about positional play. But what he likes the most is playing, a lot of blitz, whenever he has the occasion. At least the level he's at isn't that bad, he can beat 90% of the other players, which suits him. 1700<elo<1800

C+ Those have learnt all the basics (or so they think) : they know the different pawn structures, the different denominations for pawns (doubled, isolani ...), they know (or, again, think they do), when a bishop is better than a knight, or when it's the other way around, or even when a bishop is better than a rook (!). They can either calculate 10 moves long lines or know their opening theory from move 1 to 15 (if they knew both, they'd be experts). But actually, they are like Jon Snow. You've guessed it : they're indeed still clueless, and they prove it when after a won (or a lost) game, they tell you they understood nothing of it. 1800<elo<2000

Experts (B/high tier)

B- They are simply what a B+ player would be if he were to be well rounded (as well versed in tactics as in opening, strategy and endings ...). They're called experts, and not for no reason, at this level they can understand a position explained to them well enough to find relations between a Bg5 in Shvesnikov and c5 in the Semi-Slav (I'm inventing the names I'm no expert ) 2000<elo<2150

B The more you know, the more you feel clueless. They are on a sad island between the non-masters and the masters : good enough to calculate complicated mates AND understand it actually means nothing, but not strong enough to be called a master. Regardless, if one of those guys advices you against a move, you should listen (as well as to their explanation). 2150<elo<2250

B+ Fide master level. Masters. Let that think in you, because ... they're not really masters. They know almost all there is to know about the game, they can now solve almost any tactical problem you propose them. So why are they not rated higher then you ask ? If I knew I'd be a master myself 2250<elo<2400

Masters (A/top tier)

A- International Masters, that's how you call them. They can beat any club level players after 10 beers with 1' for them and 5' for the other guy with such assurance that they'll even bet money on it. Don't screw with them. 2400<elo<2500

A International GrandMasters, they're at the top of the world. Any guy that gets to this level soon enough in their career can begin to say "my objective is to play a world championship". In most case, they'll never be strong enough to actually qualify for such an event and don't ask me how they're able to play so precisely with such a high regularity, even in blindfolded. 10 sessions of 2 hours of lessons will up you one class in strength they say : maybe 2500<elo<2700

A+ In an informal way, we call them "super GrandMasters". Those are the ones that one can say about : he has a shot at the world title. When you watch they game, you don't actually understand all their games, but then comes the moment of the after game press conference, where they explain their game and it all falls into place. The list of these players as of now can be found here :

http://2700chess.com

World Champion tier (God/S tier)

S Magnus Carlsen, Prime Vladimir Kramnik, Prime Vishy Anand, Prime world champs from the past. Those guys, at their peak, could take on anyone. They're the legends of the game
    Glad to know I don't need to climb very high to conquer TMF.
    Well I wouldn't want you to lose 5 years of your life only to discover that you'll never beat me
    Meanwhile ... Fab beat me I'm sorry guys

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous View Post
    Glad to know I don't need to climb very high to conquer TMF.
    Back then I wasn't an expert ... now I am

And my english still sucks as much as it did before