Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess thread !

Chess thread !

So, I guess no one but me will actually be interested in anything I'll post here, but you can't blame me for trying

Here is a thread in which you can talk about high level players, tournaments and such. What made me start this thread is this :

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess...ge=2#kibitzing

18 players with a rating of 2700 elo or more (they're usually called "super grand-masters") are participating in this, so nearly half of the 42 with such a rating at the moment, plus, the World champion, Magnus Carlsen, is in this open tournament (and it's a first since 2007 for him, since it involves more risk if you lose and usually grants less money if you win than the "only SGM tournament" in which he usually plays).

I'm very hyped for this

You want me to move this to gaming HQ perhaps?

Thanks to Myst~

Quote Originally Posted by VICE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You want me to move this to gaming HQ perhaps?
    I don t really know, since chess is considered to be a sport in some countries

But if you think it s more likely to have activity there, then sure !

Well this is about spectating the sport itself. And by sport i mean chess game.

Thanks to Myst~

Well this is about spectating the sport itself. And by sport i mean chess game.
    I guess you're right then

Thx for the proposition ! (I'm not sure it will interest anyone but me anyway, but a man can dream )

Well, @Chess Master; likes this

Do you have a way to watch these chess matches?

Thanks to Myst~

Well, @Chess Master; likes this

Do you have a way to watch these chess matches?
    I usually go on http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/ or, more specifically for this tournament : http://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2015-qatar (maybe there's a live coverage coming from the tournament itself, which would be better since it would support the tournament and thus the players)

As for the ratings, the final results, the upcoming events etc, I use http://2700chess.com/

For nice and thought out reports about the high caliber tournaments, I also use this : http://en.chessbase.com/

Cool! Keep us posted about the events!

Thanks to Myst~

I haven't played chess seriously in over 5 years now... And back when I was doing it all day long, I never liked to watch other people play... I might know a name of a few players, but how they play, their matches etc... Never watched them, never liked to watch them, nor will I probably ever watch them

Basically I am not interested as long as I am not the one playing
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Learn Networking In A Simple Yet Enjoyable Fashion! ↓
    https://chessbrain94.wixsite.com/ifnetworkswerehuman

Quote Originally Posted by Chess Master View Post
    I haven't played chess seriously in over 5 years now... And back when I was doing it all day long, I never liked to watch other people play... I might know a name of a few players, but how they play, their matches etc... Never watched them, never liked to watch them, nor will I probably ever watch them

Basically I am not interested as long as I am not the one playing
    Doesn't it interest you to see how one GM can dispatch a 2300/IM like it's easy for him ? I take it as some lessons, and sometimes there are quite beautifull games out there !

http://www.qatarmastersopen.com/english/#en/welcome

Here's a live coming from the organizers (with commentary by Svidler, who's the best hoster IMO (in the world top20 btw))

Quote Originally Posted by aliasniamor View Post
    Doesn't it interest you to see how one GM can dispatch a 2300/IM like it's easy for him ? I take it as some lessons, and sometimes there are quite beautifull games out there !
    Never interested me... I have seen of course replays of some really famous matches, I was part of a chess club after all... But in 90% of the cases only playing was my interest.
    Stay a while, and listen!

I am the great mighty poo, and Im going to throw my shit at you.

Get over here!

The Game Master, here to create amazing games for everyone!

Learn Networking In A Simple Yet Enjoyable Fashion! ↓
    https://chessbrain94.wixsite.com/ifnetworkswerehuman

Red Regalia Of Fire Rax, The Jurassic Hero's Avatar
    NERRRRRRRRRRRDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rax View Post
    NERRRRRRRRRRRDS
    Says he on a manga forum, with a FT set

Yesterday's round saw many upsets, with the world champion being held to a draw by an IM and with the white pieces !

Others upsets include the star in the becoming Wei Yi losing to a 18 yo IM, a 14yo indian IM drawing yet another grand master ...

Will the WC avenge his yesterday's draw right away ? Or will his morale be lowered because of it ? How will the other top seads fare after their round 1 wins ?

2 rounds more went down, and after 3 days, there remains only 2 men unscattered ! The actual world n2, Anish Giri (russian/nepalese parents but is dutch), and world n14 and China n2 (or something like that) Li Chao.

tied for 3d are a bunch of people, of which some stand out :

- Magnus Carlsen, world n 1 and World champ, who recovered from his day 1 draw quite well
    - Shakyar Mamedyarov (excuse me for the spelling), world top 20, multiple times world candidate
    - Wesley So, world n10, probably (?) wild card at the upcoming 2016 candidates.

On the 3d day, two surprising events occured :

A GM didn't see a mate in 1 (!) and thus lost a drawn position
    A GM didn't give up in a much losing position and as a reply, the other let run the time so that the other would eat as late as possible

Will Giri and Li Chao continue their winning streak ? Will Magnus come back at top to claim yet another tournament win ?? There's 6 rounds left, so don't miss the action !

After a convincing win against the 2015 junior vice world champ with the black pieces, Magnus Carlsen is back to tied first place and will thus play world n15 Li Chao today (a gruenfeld has appeared on their board)

2d table sees a battle between Giri and So, both in the world top 10.

Once world champion and still world number 3 Vladimir Kramnik has returned to the 3d table too, with 3/4 (2 wins and 2 draws). Playing black against another strong grand master, I could see him "only" getting a draw.

At 3 points actually stand a lot of player (around 15), with the surprise guest being an untitled player !

Surprise guest?
    The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You want to be a hero? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat and survive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nordlending View Post
    Surprise guest?
    I mean, someone who shouldn't be as high in the charts as he actually is at this stage of the tournament given his rating/experience of that level. The World champ game has now finished, and he won quite a nice game, confirming that he's back on his best form, now in the sole lead with 4.5/5, with a bunch of guys trailing him by half a point !

Completely unrelated to the tournament ongoing, I'll present some games of mine which I'll try to comment a bit (since I'm soon to go back to the club, I might as well train my analysis skills a little). The first game I'll review is the very first one I played at the club, it was played at the time control of 1 hour per player for all the game. I was on the white side of what soon became a crazy game :

Note : for those who are not familiar with algebric notation of chess moves, K means king, Q for queen, R for rook, B for bishop, N for knight. The "d4" letter/number denote the square on which the piece lands (and if there's nothing before that then it's a pawn that has been moved), while the x means there's a capture.

1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.Nf3

I'm quite confident that at that time, I wasn't aware of how to react to 4... dxc4, but fortunately for me, she apparently thought I did knew how to deal with that sort of things.

4... e6 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Bd3 dxc4 7.Bxc4

I kinda lost a tempo by being forced to recapture the c4 pawn with my bishop after already moving it earlier, which could have been avoided by playing cxd5 my self and then only playing my bishop, but this is completely theoretical, and the reason for that is simply that , sure, I lost a tempo, but my opponent gave up some of his central control by giving up on this d pawn.

7... Bd6 8.e4 (with the threat of e5 forking the knight on f6 and the bishop on d6) Bc7 9.Bg5

At this moment, white position's seems quite superior honestly. having more pieces out and on more active squares, and also keeping the pressure with the last move (which threatens e5 again, pinning the knight on f6 as the queen lies still on d8)

9... h6 (saying to the bishop "GO AWAY") 10.Bh4 g5

This is a moment when I went crazy. I could have just played normal chess and gone for 11.Bg3 Bxg3 12.hxg3, leaving black with a terrible kingside, white's h file already being open. And a long castle would take some time before being possible. But I went somewhat crazy

11. Nxg5 hxg5 12.Bxg5 e5

e5's idea is pretty straight forward : they white can NOT play e5, or they would get back their piece with tempo. At the same time, black's queen has nowhere to go at this very moment (I mean, she can't escape the h4-d8 diagonal for the time being, without moving either the knight on d7 or the bishop on c7)

13.f4 (the idea behind this move is not completely wrong, since, if white could play yet another move, they would gain their piece back. not quite what happened tho) exd4 (of course) 14.Qxd4 Bb6 15.Qd1 Qc7

And now we see the problem : black's queen has effectively escaped from the terrible h4-d8 diagonal

16.Qb3 (hitting the f7 pawn with check threat, not bad an idea either, but 16... Nc5 would have ended all my dreams of attack certainly) Rh7?

But now white has some ideas that could work again ! I indeed continued pressing

17.e5 Ng4 18.Bxf7+ Rxf7

Being 2 pieces down for only 3 pawns doesn't often look that promising !

19. Qe6+ Kf8 20.Qxg4 (that's one piece down less I guess !) Nxe5?!

21. Bh6+ Ke8 ?? (Ke7 kept some tension, now it's all over I think) 22.Qg8+ Ke7 23.Bg5+ Ke6

24.f5+!? (not the best move, but quite funny to play in all honesty) Kxf5 25.Rf1+ Ke6

And here the finisher is quite nice I think again

26.Rf6+ Kd7(only move, since Ke7 loses in nearly exactly the same fashion) 27.O-O-O+ !