Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast
    Adviser

Rate the Last Movie you saw

I have a feeling that I will be carrying this thread by myself but here goes.

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Well, this movie was breathtaking and had great visuals that really seemed very accurate. Alec Guinness was superb as Colonel Nicholson and is one of my all time favorites and Hayakawa did a great job as the Japanese Colonel Saito. Had some glorious moments such as Nicholson's life speech. It explores many concepts, such as morality, a sense of duty, righteousness, and of course, plain old bravery and defiance.

Nonetheless, this movie did suffer from dragging and simply being too long. I did find certain segments boring and simply could not get into other characters besides Guiness' and Hayakawa's.

An 8/10.

The Sitter

I choose to watch this with a group of friends so it made it slightly more entertaining then it was. Overall this movie was rather boring but with a few moments where it was slightly funny especially with the little mexican kid. Looking past that the movie was rather short and dull and had a quite predictable plot with nothing that kept you hooked. I fell it could have been longer and a lot more entertaining with some different choices in both characters and story line.

6.5/10 And this is generous. This movie was not good.

It's got Wahlberg in it so you right there off the bat is 15 points..

Everything about this movie just keeps you on your toes. Don't wanna spoil for those haven't seen it, but I highly suggest seeing it if you're into thriller action movies with drama in between.

9/10...loses one point cause no one important died and made it more emotional

Adviser
    Full Metal Jacket

Felt like I watched 2 different movies all in one title. The first half was mind blowing, and really showed just how far some people are able to endure constant pressure, ridicule and stress from marine recruitment training before they delve into insanity. The second half was good, but definitely not on par with its first act. I did enjoy the constant symbolism and irony that this film indulges itself in, and the ending was quite fitting.

An 8/10.

He got game

In the movie he has game.
    7/10

Adviser
    Pan's Labyrinth

Sorry but what is up with the praise this movie gets? Captain Vidal was truly menacing and the visuals/costume design was very good, but the story itself was boring. Just couldn't get into it at all. The film itself was so predictable and the ending was ruined because I practically guessed everything that was going to happen. It did have some tense moments, which was again, because of Captain Vidal. However, this movie overall was a bore fest.

4.5/10.

Adviser
    The Night of the Hunter

Felt like this movie was trying to go for too much here. The tense parts were tense, but then it just shifts to a cheesy, kidd-ish atmosphere. It didn't fluctuate properly and I felt they would've been better off with the movie consistently being dark and scary. They should have expanded more on Powell's ruthlessness to get the money. Sometimes, he just comes off as a joke.

5/10.
    Last edited by Z; 01-18-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Adviser
    Chinatown

Gorgeous soundtrack. Mixed in perfect harmony with the noir/thriller atmosphere of the film, which I adored as well. Jack Nicholson is the man and it's just awesome to watch him investigate what was once a spying on spouse case, turning into full blown murder and then escalating to a city wide crises. Chemsitry between Nicholson and Dunaway was good too, and damn the ending had me sad.

But, this movie is not flawless. The villain was pretty meh (his despicable colors really shined in the ending scene though), and the plot/case became overly complex, to the point of confusion.

7.5/10.

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN

Pretty good movie. The art and animation were all top notch. The story itself was amazing, this movie showed the real reason why Superman is a hero. It's not because of his powers, it's because of his heart.

8.5/10

Baby Boy

9/10

I wouldn't give this ratting to a movie even if it had great directing, acting or etc. I've never seen a 10/10 movie and i doubt I ever will. But when I say this is nice portrayal and emotion I mean it. Whether something changed my life or not or changed my perspective or even made me cry that doesn't interest me. What this movie has is something I can't even explain. This movie is unbelievable entertaining; it's thought provoking but I could care less. To me this movie is real!

The Tournament

7.5/10

If you want to watch a fast pace action movie that does not shy away from blood then watch this. It has some cool story lines that develop in the movie however what this movie lacked was a true fight scene which is ironic considering it is named "the tournament". If you have nothing better to do go ahead and watch it.
    ---------

IP Man

9/10

What I feel lacks now is a true Martial arts movie, but this movie and IP man 2 have filled this hole for me. This movie was extremly well done in my opinion. The Protagonist is a master that is trying to teach the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun. A movie filled with Honor and drama it will keep you hooked and the fight scenes are extremely well done. This is my kind of movie
    Last edited by V; 01-18-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Adviser
    I hated Ip Man.

Adviser
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Gary Oldman was fantastic and once again, blended into his role as the calm, composed George Smiley who is deep in thought and less for words. The atmosphere of this film was very fitting, compatible with the fact that an informant for the Soviets in British intelligence is being sought after. The ending was a great twist and wrapped up very satisfyingly.

This movie was very confusing at times though, and you really, really have to pay attention to the dialogue or else you'd be left clueless. Maybe that's what was intended, what with code words and all. I felt this film could have been a lot more clear and more tense as well. Decent film overall; shame its brilliant elements did not combine together to from real cinematic greatness as I wanted it to though.

7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hated Ip Man.
    Z I love you (no homo) but

You also watch a lot of movies.

Adviser
    Quote Originally Posted by V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Z I love you (no homo) but

You also watch a lot of movies.
    Yes, I usually watch one film per day. I'm a movie guy man. And Ip Man was so cliche and tried so obviously to play an emotional game with the audience that it turned out pathetic. Sorry V.

I can at best get like 1 movie in a month, holy shit you watch a lot.

and again

Adviser
    I watch online lol. I'm on break from college for 1-2 more weeks and I'm not working either.

Good times I guess lol

Adviser
    The Searchers

Okay so after the bore fest that was Unforgiven, I became discouraged when it came to westerns for a while. I decided to pick up the genre again and try one of their supposed greats, The Searchers. I have mixed feelings.

This film is beautifully shot, and John Wayne is clearly the definitive western cowboy. I mean, it feels like I'm out in nature or something. Loved the snow and loved the desert. There was a great fight scene in this movie too, in which the characters just let out all their built up tension, ending on a good note with everyone happy. Funny characters in here too, and the film does show how far vengeance can take someone. To the point that the vengeance can be totally and utterly mislead, yet one can be too blind to see that.

With that said, this movie dragged on and I grew bored. It really started packing around the last 30 minutes. Before that, it only had the great visuals. This film also has two extremely fatal flaws, to the point of absurdity, and I will not go into specifics.

So overall, much better than Unforgiven, but still just okay.

6/10.

The Departed

First off, what a cast, Matt Damon, Dicaprio, Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Jack Nicholsen, Alec Baldwin. Great, great film, with fantastic twists at the end of the movie. I loved that emotions ran high all through the film and it felt like there was danger around every corner. Honestly, it's one of the best movies I think I've ever seen.

9.5/10