Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Tier Of Manga.

Not even close. Despite having a lot of big players involved, Oda still managed to bore me most of the time.
    Too many new characters had the spotlight, only the Luffy vs Doflamingo and Law's flashback entertained me (I didn't care about anyting involving the Coliseum fighters or Donquixote's disappointing family), every strawhat not called Luffy had a very lame fight (Señor vs Franki was specially bad), the almirant was just there, it had dozens of filler chapters (Luffy & Coliseum Warriors vs nameless soldiers took 4 fucking chapters) and despite being a bit better than the horrendous Fisherman Island saga or Punk Hazard it was still pretty bad.
    Doflamingo's character was the best part of this saga.Oda did an excellent job with him.He had it all.He managed to humanize him without having to retort to the bullcrap Kishi does in every arc with villains being talked to the good side by Naruto.He was still this evil bastard that though he was above anyone else yet that still didn't stop him for caring for some people that helped.The parallel with Law was also really well done.Both had lost everything in their childhood yet Law had the right guy to help him move on while Doflamingo just gave in to his madness.His attitude,the way he acted and handled things was just pure awesomeness.

Pink vs Franky was awesome because of Pink's backstory and how manly he was.A fight doesn't have to nuke planets in order to be good.

The Admiral was just there?Do you even pay attention to the chapters?Not only Fujitora has a goal that will completely change the landscape of the world,he actually went ahead and put that plan into motion.He revealed the dirty shit the WG was pulling with the shichibukai.Something that Smoker and other marines were trying to accomplish for years.

With the colloseum fighters you just confirmed what I said.You don't pay attention to anything.Those fighters are now part of the Straw Hat Fleet,a 5,600 fleet that Luffy will need in the future.We got tons of really cool and colorful characters.

http://read.powermanga.org/read/one_.../0/800/page/14

Foreshadowing.Keep those words in your mind

On the other hand I considere post-TS Naruto a decent second part. It had really high highs with the Pain saga and despite becoming boring in the last saga it never bored me for morè than 5 or 6 chapters. OP post TS has been boring me since nearly the beginning with some good moments here and there. It's almost reacing Bleach levels of boringness.
    The Pain Saga turned to shit the moment Naruto got to talk with Nagato.After that every villain was handled like that.Do you want me to mention that Tobi awfulness?Naruto calling him awesome or whatever?Really?All this buildup for Madara just to have him killed by Kaguya who's personality was as dead as a rock?

PD: Oh and a especial mention on how Oda managed to turn one of my favourite characters (Bellamy) into the tenth damsel in distress in Dresrossa. Doflamingo 'killed' him after Luffy came back from Skypea and that would have been perfecte. But no, Oda had to screw it.
    Bellamy became a far more likeable character in Dressrosa and he redeemed himself.He saw the error of his ways,he didn't try to mock other guys for their goals.Heck him sticking to his convictions about wanting to join Doflamingo even though Doflamingo didn't care was awesome.Put any other character in any other manga and they'd suck the protagonist's dick.He acknowledged his mistake but it was too late for him to turn back.His pride as a pirate got in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by froiland View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, as I've said, OP is outright boring to me after the TS. Naruto also suffered a bit because of the TS, but nothing compared to what I'm seeing in One Piece.

[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]I meant the coherency when it comes to energy increases. DB since the saiyan saga is the best manga of that list when it comes to that. Every character powers up according to what he can do, and the power up is never unjustified. I'm speaking of the manga, of course, not the anime which is full of bullshit (it's not Toriyama's fault if Toei can't even understand the most basic rules he established in his work).
    Are you serious?

Shippudden was straight shit. Obito was one of the worst written villains i've ever seen and he was the mastermind behind Akatsuki

The only decent part of Post TS naruto was madara and 8 gates gai. After that the Naruto and Sasuke powerup love story was so cringey and ruined the story completely. Sage was an idiot, plot holes everywhere, Kakashi getting the sharingan and doing sussano. Kaguya was literally the worst villain of the series and forced, Konoha 11 got shafted, Sakura desperately tried to stay relevant only to get overshadowed again. Narutos character being a product of destiny and not genuine hard work, fights were stale, Pain talk no justu'd etc...

One Piece TS was average with some very good moments in between, FI was eh, Punk hazard dragged alot but had Vergo vs Smoker, Law vs Smoker and Law ending the Arc in one of the most badass and iconic scenes in the entire series.

Dressrosa had Doflamingo which was a well written character, EASILY better than any Naruto character except maybe Madara. Law was also great and his backstory with Corazon was good, there were many good moments in Dressrosa the only thing ruining it was pacing issues and skipping around everywhere.

Naruto had some great moments but they were too far and in between, basically hidden under a sea of unnecessary flashbacks and poor writing.

DB being coherent in power levels is straight horseshit, justified powerups are only good when they are justfied properly, Toriyama sucked at that, just look at the DBS writing, it's horrid, and DBZ? just lmao.
    Last edited by Slayer; 10-14-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Timeskip Naruto was good up until Nagato got talk no jutsu'd by Nardo. Kazekage Retrieval Mission was an awesome arc, Akatsuki Suppression Mission was dope, the Itachi vs Sasuke fight arc managed to live up to the hype and the first 3/4 of the Pain arc was good. Madara, Obito and the war ruined the series tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually really enjoyed the majority of Punk Hazard and the beginning of Dressrosa.

Epic Tier
    Berserk, Vagabond, Kingdom, Wolfsmund, Monster, Kaiji, Slam Dunk, HKN, Mobile suit Gundam Thunderbolt, Blood and Steel

Shitty tier
    One piece , Naruto, bleach, Fairy Tail, Soma shit, SNK, Beelzebub, Nanatsu No Tanzai(except sun dude), Magi, Arslan Senki(shitty version of kingdom), and shit tons more.

You've read that many series?

yeah i read a lot of shitty series

- - - Updated - - -

yeah i read a lot of shitty series

Naruto had awesome fight choreography though

Quote Originally Posted by void
    What did you like about bellamy?

The role he played in the series. I didn't like him because I wanted him to be a Strawhat, but the Jaya sub-saga is my favourite of the whole manga in part thanks to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger
    Doflamingo's character was the best part of this saga.Oda did an excellent job with him.He had it all.He managed to humanize him without having to retort to the bullcrap Kishi does in every arc with villains being talked to the good side by Naruto.
    He gave him a traumatic past like nearly every character in OP that had a flashback dedicated to him. And in order to show how evil Doflamingo was he sacrificed nearly every other character in the saga, even destroying Bellamy and turning him into a damsel in distress.

And speaking of Naruto, I didn't like the "everyone can be talked to bullshit" either but at least had far more interesting characters than anything seen in OP besides BlackBeard like Kabuto, Danzo or Sasuke.

Pink vs Franky was awesome because of Pink's backstory and how manly he was.A fight doesn't have to nuke planets in order to be good.
    Who said a fight has to nuke planets to be good? In fact, the one implying a flashback about one of the characters makes a bad fight good is you.
    The fight was horrible, the "manly" joke was used dozens of times and even if you enjoyed the flashback it's "suplex-punch, suplex-punch, suplex-punch...." was one of the most boring fight coreographies I've ever seen in a manga.

The Admiral was just there?Do you even pay attention to the chapters?Not only Fujitora has a goal that will completely change the landscape of the world,he actually went ahead and put that plan into motion.
    Which could've been done much better and in less than 1/10th the chapters he appeared in. Yeah, he wil play a big role in the future, but in this saga he was only important in the post-saga events. Like Aokigi in Alabasta, he didn't even need to be in the island to do what he did.

With the colloseum fighters you just confirmed what I said.You don't pay attention to anything.Those fighters are now part of the Straw Hat Fleet,a 5,600 fleet that Luffy will need in the future.We got tons of really cool and colorful characters.
    Of course I know they're Luffy's subordinates, that doesn't mean we needed 40+ chapters dedicated to them when the Straw Hat crew was mostly offpaneled.
    And even if they end up being important, that doesn't mean I have to be interested about them and enjoy with everything they do.
    The whole Dresrossa arc could've lasted half the chapters it ended up lasting, the pace was horrible.

The Pain Saga turned to shit the moment Naruto got to talk with Nagato.
    Which only was the very last part of the saga vs 3 whole sagas in post-TS One Piece.

After that every villain was handled like that.Do you want me to mention that Tobi awfulness?Naruto calling him awesome or whatever?Really?All this buildup for Madara just to have him killed by Kaguya who's personality was as dead as a rock?
    Yeah, I didn't enjoy the ninja wars in Naruto except for maybe 1 or 2 decent fights thrown in there and the ending which I found quite decent. I still think post-TS Naruto is better than post-TS One Piece.
    I never spent hundreds of chapters in Naruto knowing that no one in the saga was a real threat. In OP and until Doflamingo we spent more than 100 chapters knowing the main antagonists of each saga were fodder to Luffy. Neither Hoddy or Caesar felt relevant (Caesar a bit more, but that's only because he was connected to Doflamingo) and they took 50-100 chapters each to defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer
    DB being coherent in power levels is straight horseshit, justified powerups are only good when they are justfied properly, Toriyama sucked at that, just look at the DBS writing, it's horrid, and DBZ? just lmao.
    I said Toriyama, not Toei animation. DBS's writing is horrible (like DBZ when it wasn't directly adapting the manga), but Toriyama hasn't made DBS.
    The manga of DB has the most studied an coherent Power Scaling I've ever seen in a manga and I stick to that opinion because despite 2 or 3 flaws it was almost perfect.
    One Pice or Naruto are infinitely worse in that sense.

True Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had near-flawless powerscaling compared to any current manga. A character with greater power level (and speed) will never lose to a weaker character, the difficulty of fights may be a bit inconsistent but the outcome of the fights are always consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Guoan
    True Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z had near-flawless powerscaling compared to any current manga. A character with greater power level (and speed) will never lose to a weaker character, the difficulty of fights may be a bit inconsistent but the outcome of the fights are always consistent.
    That, and not only he was consistent but he also played a lot with the power level concept to make original and interesting fights.
    Goku vs Vegeta is a masterpiece of a fight (and Goku vs Nappa is also really good, as it introduces a concept that is later used to evolve the SSJ form) not only because the power levels are always consistent, but because of how they vary according to a set of special rules established by Toriyama that allowed him to explore scenarios otherwise impossible for the series.

And he mantains that coherence from Raditz to Bu, it's a shame that Toei is such a bad studio when it comes to the filler (even the filler dialogues within a canon episode are bullshit) and that the major quality of the series is in the eyes of a lot of fans it's worst mistake.
    The harm Toei has done to this series is so big that I bet almost half of the fanbase thinks A18 could beat Freezer for example, or that Goku was much stronger than Nappa after training with Kaito when in fact he was inferior. Incredible, but true (sadly).

God tier Tower of God, One piece, Magi, Vnland Saga,Berserk,World Trigger, Monster,20th century boy(i think thats the name), Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note

Top tier Toriko, Dragon ball(all types in one) , SNK, SNS, Hajime no ippo, BBoku no Hero Academia, Nanatsu no Taizai,Rurouni Kenshin, Bakuman,Usogui, Kingdom, Hunter X Hunter, Eyeshield 21, One punch man, Ouran highschool host club, Negima,Ribuko

Mid tier Fairy tail, A Certain Scientific Railgun, The Gamer, Trigun, Tokyo Ghoul, Real account, Liar Game 2,Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Noblesse, Love Hina, Sugar sugar rune

Low tier Naruto, Sword Art Online

I tried only using manga I have finished or am caught up on
    Last edited by Cyri; 01-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.

Read through Tokyo Ghoul and its sequel last week. I liked it a lot. The first series is better, lots of good art, characters and memorable moments. Strange decisions have been made for some of the characters (it has a ridiculously massive cast which is both a good and bad thing, focus is poorly spread sometimes) but most of the key ones remain engaging and likeable. If the series ends well it'll rank quite highly for me.

Part 2 has been a absolute trainwreck honestly
    Every story needs a good old-fashioned villain.

weird coming from Coru, I thought he'd be like a Hyena on a bone for this one

Red Regalia Of Fire Rax, Hero Of Carnage's Avatar
    Anyone else disagree that Temeffia is the best manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    Part 2 has been a absolute trainwreck honestly
    Can't really agree, I thought it started so-so and it was hard to keep up with everything the first time through. But when I re-read both of them back to back things fit into place a lot better and it seemed really obvious that this is one big story. There's been a lot of great moments and some good new characters. The lowest it sunk was in one of the recent arcs where a lot of weird shit started happening and it really hurt that particular arc. Things seem to be picking up well enough again now.

Updating my list so I can keep track of what I read/watched so far

10/10 My own subjective masterpieces:
    FMA
    Ass Class
    Eyeshield 21
    Slam Dunk
    Vagabond
    Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
    Steins;Gate

*9.5/10 Typically ongoing stuff that I'm super hyped about when it updates:
    Gate - Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri
    Nobunaga no Chef
    Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
    Real Account
    Railgun (manga)
    Dungeon Defense
    Rise of the Shield Hero (manga)

9/10 Great, but some flaws hold them back :
    SnS
    OP
    Parasyte
    Vinland Saga
    Genkaku Picasso
    Yokokuhan
    Tower of God
    Log Horizon
    Silver Spoon
    Rise of the Shield Hero (web novel)
    Sengoku Youko
    Shirobako
    Keijo

8/10 Great stuff but not consistently so, could also be just consistently good :
    Drifters
    Prison School
    Darwin's Game
    Barakamon
    Durara!!
    Psycho Pass
    Yowamushi Pedal
    Knights of Sidonia
    Fate/Zero
    Monogatari Series
    Medaka Box
    Yu Yu Hakusho (nostalgia)
    Gintama
    Bakuman
    Death Note
    Hunter X Hunter
    Fate/Apocrypha

7/10 Good stuff that's almost consistent but also series I like that aren't consistent :
    The Irregular at Magic High School
    Terra Formars
    Akatsuki no Yona
    Kingdom
    Akame Ga Kiru
    Magi (and Sinbad no Bouken)
    Berserk
    Kill la Kill
    Psyren
    OPM
    Lone Wolf and Cub
    Toriko (pre-GW, could be an 8)
    Fate/Extra
    Kuromukuro
    Rosario Vampire
    Kekkai Sensen (anime)
    Freezing (leaning towards 6 )
    Tokyo Ghoul

6/10 Series with flashes of good/great or just things that amuse me:
    Michelin Star
    Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai
    Oregairu
    F/SN UBW
    All You Need is Kill
    Seitokai Yakuindomo
    No Game No Life
    Neon Genesis Evangelion (manga)
    Hikaru no Go
    Ravages of Time
    D.Gray Man
    High School of the Dead
    Aldnoah Zero
    Death Parade
    God Eater (anime)
    Danmachi (manga)
    Non Non Biyori (manga)
    Infection
    Konosuba
    Busou Renkin
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Shaman King

5/10 Meh:
    Seven Deadly Sins
    Kuroko no Basket (might be higher because I love basketball)
    Haganai
    Nisekoi
    Fate/Stay Night
    SAO
    Usogui
    Yuru Yuri
    Himouto Umaru chan
    Sengoku (way too early to tell)
    Watamote
    Pokemon Adventures
    Sengoku Basara (not much to judge from though)
    Cromartie High School (dropped)
    Sun Ken Rock
    Index
    IS
    Youkai Shoujo
    Love Live
    Re: Zero
    Monster Musume
    Mob Psycho (anime)
    The Gamer
    Owari no Serafu
    Tokyo Ghoul RE

Fail/10:
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Fairy Tail
    Yu Gi Oh and its spinoffs
    Toriko (GW)
    Last edited by Void; 03-20-2017 at 08:39 PM.