Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Danganronpa

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    fucking hell, it's oowada right? i just got done with the crossdress twist and i can see oowada being pissed about it because he made the promise of not screaming again to what he thought to be a girl.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe he even asked her out and she confessed it to him, leaving his pride shattered? he does say he was turned down 10 times already in a free time conversation.
    And you suspected Byakuya, how dare you

Also remember to spoiler tag when you're talking about twists like that

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    And you suspected Byakuya, how dare you

Also remember to spoiler tag when you're talking about twists like that
    yeah, i'm gonna do that in the future.

i have a pretty simple question, can i just spend my coins in the school shop? i don't wanna waste it all for presents and then in the end the coins could become important or something.

EDIT: also, how many chapters are there in total? i'm currently in pre-trail case 3, am i at the half-way point? i feel like there's gonna be 5 cases because that's the norm for games like this but the cast is so big that it could easily have 7 or 8.

if the amount of chapters could spoil a plot point or something (if the game would end soon it would imply something like a killing spree or something) then please tell me beforehand.
    Last edited by Sin; 01-18-2016 at 09:36 PM.

I don't recall the coins doing anything major

I recall it having 6 chapters in total

finished trigger happy havoc, time for goodbye despair.

i enjoyed THH a lot. while i think the game somewhat loses itself after the midway point, it'd be unfair both to the game and myself to act pseudo critical towards the games' "shortcomings" now. i wholly enjoyed the experience and i'm left aching for more. luckily, there's lots of things to look forward to with danganronpa 2 ready for me to play and danganronpa 3 getting released in the near future (i haven't saw a confirmation for a western release but after looking at the more than adequate sales of the first games + the spin-off i am sure it will be released overseas).

my favorite characters all in all are probably hagakure, oogami and monokuma of course. monokuma and hagakure made me smile and laugh a lot while oogami
    just naturally grows on you because of the plot. her design was an obvious eyecatcher too making it clear that she'll be a focal character, and i enjoyed her character a whole lot.

naegi plays his role as MC nicely, nothing more to say. at no point was i ticked off by his character or anything, and even though the cheesiness becomes more and more prevalent over time i embraced it wholeheartedly. not every game needs over-the-edge characters with overly complicated traits, so i appreciated naegi's plainness throughout the whole game.

i could never really warm up to kirigiri, asahina and fukawa/genocider shun. kirigiri surviving was pretty much set in stone from chapter 1 and as soon as fukawa got her twist i was sure she would stand by togami's side till the end and continue nagging him. kirigiri remains largely static and a voice of reason character through and through, there's just not a lot about her character imo. not a whole lot to say about asahina too because i think the point for her existence in the cast is her just being your normal optimistic athlete, so i could never really care about her as a character. at no point was i annoyed by any of these characters though (fukawa was a bit irritating at times at best) which just further reinforces the powerful cast danganronpa has. the characters i like the worst i am more or less indifferent about - as i already mentioned multiple times, i wasn't ticked off at any time of the game by a character but instead spend most of my time just enjoying the nicely executed colorful cast danganronpa has to offer.

i ended up enjoying togami quite a bit and a large part of that can be chalked up to the game just being very open about the characters by virtue of frequently breaking the fourth wall. the game doesn't conceal togami's development as a cliché
    "unsympathetic side character turns into benevolent main character

which is something i greatly enjoyed.

i tried to keep all of this as spoiler free as possible and i tagged anything that could possibly spoil the development of the story. just don't read what's in the spoilers if you haven't played danganronpa yet.

- - - Updated - - -

all that's left for me is to thank you dofla for urging me to play this jewel. white also made me interested in this in the first place so to you both.

EDIT: now it's time to do my due diligence and urge another fella to play this. @Bold;
    Last edited by Sin; 01-19-2016 at 08:45 PM.

O lawd.

brb finding out if Chromebooks can use emulators.

turns out goodbye despair is only on vita my hopes have been fucking shattered. i'm actually tempted to learn japanese and then just play the japanese iso, no matter how long it takes. i'd drop 150-200 bucks on a vita + the game instead but i also don't wanna just watch a playthrough of it because the gameplay in part 1 was real nice. + it just feels different to actually play the game.

i guess i'm gonna wait for a good used vita offer on ebay or something. i doubt i can go below a grand though.
    Last edited by Sin; 01-19-2016 at 09:23 PM.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, friend.

turns out goodbye despair is only on vita my hopes have been fucking shattered. i'm actually tempted to learn japanese and then just play the japanese iso, no matter how long it takes. i'd drop 150-200 bucks on a vita + the game instead but i also don't wanna just watch a playthrough of it because the gameplay in part 1 was real nice. + it just feels different to actually play the game.

i guess i'm gonna wait for a good used vita offer on ebay or something. i doubt i can go below a grand though.
    Damn, that sucks. You sure you can't emulate it?

The sequel improves on the first game in pretty much every way, so make sure you experience it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, friend.

Damn, that sucks. You sure you can't emulate it?

The sequel improves on the first game in pretty much every way, so make sure you experience it somehow.
    yeah, there's no emulator for the ps vita. while i could pirate the game on PSP, no english version was ever released because the PSP died off completely in it's latter half. the team that localized the first game dropped working on their english patch after it was confirmed for a western release (the same guys that localized trigger happy havoc before it was a thing in the west).

i have no problem with buying the game, i'd actually gladly support spike. but the lowest i can go is 125 bucks for a ps vita + a digital copy of the game or 155 bucks for a vita + the physical copy, and that amount definitely hurts.

i'm gonna go check some second hand shops tomorrow for some cheap vitas, if not i'm just gonna buy one off amazon for 150 bucks. that's a lot of money for me but i then also have the option of playing danganronpa 3 on it once it gets released, so it's probably not a bad investment.

i also need exactly something like this until the new AA gets released in the west.

yeah, there's no emulator for the ps vita. while i could pirate the game on PSP, no english version was ever released because the PSP died off completely in it's latter half. the team that localized the first game dropped working on their english patch after it was confirmed for a western release (the same guys that localized trigger happy havoc before it was a thing in the west).

i have no problem with buying the game, i'd actually gladly support spike. but the lowest i can go is 125 bucks for a ps vita + a digital copy of the game or 155 bucks for a vita + the physical copy, and that amount definitely hurts.

i'm gonna go check some second hand shops tomorrow for some cheap vitas, if not i'm just gonna buy one off amazon for 150 bucks. that's a lot of money for me but i then also have the option of playing danganronpa 3 on it once it gets released, so it's probably not a bad investment.

i also need exactly something like this until the new AA gets released in the west.
    I'm seeing PS Vitas for as little as £50 on ebay, which I think is around $70 so you ought to find some similar deals there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold View Post
    O lawd.

brb finding out if Chromebooks can use emulators.

The game is getting a windows port

Quote Originally Posted by Anna View Post
    The game is getting a windows port
    I don't have Windows though.

I'm using Chrome OS.

I know this has nothing to do with Danganronpa and is probably not comparable but

Umineko >

@White; Quick question about Danganronpa, I don't think it's confirmed in the games so I wanted your take on it.

Which class is older, the DR1 cast or the DR2 cast? I always assumed Naegi's group was older, since it'd be weird IMO for Junko to be able to influence students older than her into despair, but other forums I've checked out seem to disagree. What do you think?

Thats an interesting question

I would assume the DR2 cast would be older since they were the ones that where originally influenced by Junko and they helped start the tragedy which occured when the DR1 cast where in there second year.

So Id guess that when the DR1 cast where all at hopes peak, the other guys where there as well just in the year above. I dont think Junko was younger than the DR2 cast either

If you remember back to the photos in the first game, she wasnt in any of them. Which I assume is the game telling us she wasnt originally in their year

Watch the spoiler bro

I just never thought of it that way. Naegi and co. coming in to save the day at the end of DR2 made them seem older and more competent than the DR2 cast. Guess it's true though.

Junko was in the pictures, you just couldn't see her face

just finished DR2. it was a nice ride but i really feel like the game is both stronger than DR1 but it also bungs up a lot really badly. the gameplay aspect really got shafted imo, machine-gun talk battle was infinitely more fluid and fun than panic talk battle, logic dive was really clunky and improved hangman's gambit just was kind of there. i loved DR1's gimmicks, i have to say i was disappointed talking about gameplay.

where DR2 really shines is in individual cases, especially case 5. they went all out with
    nagitos death
    in terms of creativity. however, case 2 and 3 all had extremely clear twists to them (i was really disappointed after i finished case 2 actually) and imo DR1 had the stronger cast as a whole. nagito carried the cast immensely, but there were a lot more weak characters this time than in the first entry imo.

teruteru, akane, sonia, mikan, hiyoko, peko and mahiru were just soooo uninteresting to me, with the hiyoko/mikan shenanigans being annoying at times.

on the other hand, i really liked nekomaru, gundham and nagito of course. gundham actually made me laugh (similarly to hagakure in DR1) and i just liked nekomaru in general. nagito carried this game really hard
    and his absence after case 5 was definitely noticeable. naegi was a lot cooler as a MC compared to heiji in my opinion, but nagito was also better than kirigiri (and to an extenr byakuya) if i had to compare him to DR1's stars.

might seem like i didn't enjoy this game, but i loved it. i do think DR1 is the better game though (of course my opinion is subject to change seeing how i literally finished DR2 an hour ago). it comes down to despair academy being a lot cooler of a setting, DR1 having a stronger cast as a whole and DR1 having vastly superior gameplay.

to be honest, i spent a lot of case 6 lamenting how much cooler despair academy was than jabberwock island because the game does throw you back into the despair academy for the majority of the case i just really love school settings, especially if they're as well executed as in DR1.
    Last edited by Sin; 01-30-2016 at 05:42 PM.

@Cormag; Glad you enjoyed it

Yeah I agree Nagito is easily the best character in the game, but I wouldn't say he 'carried' it. Guys like Gunham, Ibuki, Kuzuryu etc. I all really enjoyed. There are a few annoying characters but the first game had that too. I also agree the school setting suits this series more than an island, makes for a more intense atmosphere.

What did you think of the twist that the cast were the Remnants of Despair?
    Last edited by DoflaMihawk; 01-30-2016 at 07:20 PM.

@DoflaMihawk;

i liked that twist a whole lot but they didn't go as far with it as they could have. everything you learn about junko is only spatial, you don't actually see her manipulative skills etc. there was one time in case 6 where she tried to manipulate hajime, but i would've appreciated some more insight on how she managed to completely fuck up someone like nekomaru. it's not that i can't believe that someone like nekomaru turned all psycho (mikan showed the player her personality as a remnant of despair after all) but i would've liked a bit more exposure on that topic. i do think the twist is cool though and adds to the characters. while "you were the villain all along" is definitely a trope (the game says this outright too and breaks the fourth wall) i thought it was executed nicely and it had sufficient foreshadowing to be believable.

what was your favorite case and your least favorite case? my favorite one was probably case 5 just because of how gruesome nagito's death was and how they really busted out everything they could in the trial phase. my least favorite case would probably be case 4. i actually really enjoyed the case until it neared its end. the game kind of heavily implies that gundham is actually a good guy for killing mechamaru, but that makes so little sense and even contradicts gundham utilizing the ultimate weapon to such an extent completely. he was extremely close to getting away with it after all, and nothing implies that he actually did what he did for the sake of the other students, yet the game almost outright says that at some points. i thought that was a really, really forced approach to gundham's final moments and it really didn't make any sense all things considered. while i did enjoy the rest of the the case greatly, this just left a sore aftertaste for me.
    Last edited by Sin; 01-31-2016 at 05:59 AM.

@DoflaMihawk;

i liked that twist a whole lot but they didn't go as far with it as they could have. everything you learn about junko is only spatial, you don't actually see her manipulative skills etc. there was one time in case 6 where she tried to manipulate hajime, but i would've appreciated some more insight on how she managed to completely fuck up someone like nekomaru. it's not that i can't believe that someone like nekomaru turned all psycho (mikan showed the player her personality as a remnant of despair after all) but i would've liked a bit more exposure on that topic. i do think the twist is cool though and adds to the characters. while "you were the villain all along" is definitely a trope (the game says this outright too and breaks the fourth wall) i thought it was executed nicely and it had sufficient foreshadowing to be believable.

what was your favorite case and your least favorite case? my favorite one was probably case 5 just because of how gruesome nagito's death was and how they really busted out everything they could in the trial phase. my least favorite case would probably be case 4. i actually really enjoyed the case until it neared its end. the game kind of heavily implies that gundham is actually a good guy for killing mechamaru, but that makes so little sense and even contradicts gundham utilizing the ultimate weapon to such an extent completely. he was extremely close to getting away with it after all, and nothing implies that he actually did what he did for the sake of the other students, yet the game almost outright says that at some points. i thought that was a really, really forced approach to gundham's final moments and it really didn't make any sense all things considered. while i did enjoy the rest of the the case greatly, this just left a sore aftertaste for me.
    I agree it would've been nice to see how Junko turned everyone to despair (I can't even imagine an evil Ibuki). Maybe we'll see in the next game.

Case 5 is my favourite for the reasons you mentioned, and I was just completely floored when I learned Nagito's full plan. But Case 4 is a close second. I get what you mean about Gundham, but the idea is that he believes in fighting for life rather than waiting to starve to death. The only way for anybody to escape was for someone to die, so Gundham sought out the only other student who felt the same way (Nekomaru) and had a fair life-or-death fight with them. I wouldn't call him a 'good guy' since he would've let everyone die, but he's not going to just admit it since that goes against his beliefs. And if it wasn't for him, everyone would've died in the Funhouse, so myah.

My least favourite is probably Case 2. It was enjoyable, but going through that Twilight Syndrome stuff was a drag.

important for anyone looking to get into danganronpa: trigger happy havoc was released on steam around 24 hours ago! i already tried it out and it's a great port. danganronpa 2 has also been confirmed for a PC port, but there's no release date yet. it's gonna be some time though i wager.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/413410/

if you can't afford the game, there's already optimized torrents for it that even include the soundtrack. i think it'd be kind of unfair to the port team though to just outright link it 24h after it was released, so i'm not going to. you can find it extremely easily on kat.cr anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

i also just realized that i never got back to you, dofla. sorry man.