Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 LastLast

Thread: Danganronpa

Quote Originally Posted by Crispinianus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's hardly just chiaki man. DR plays a lot on appealing to all kinds of public with all kinds of fanservices. Some are memes like sayaka, celeste, chihiro, saionji, kirumi or literally all the secondary girls, but you can't tell me kyouko, kaede and maki aren't purposely made to be everyone's waifus. That's every dr game's main girl trope, even if execution changes every time to give them a bit of characterization. So you can't just address the issue for chiaki, because she has reedeming qualities just like the others: for example, she's lighter than kyouko as support in trials, she tries to solve the cases with you instead of reaching the answer before the trial and guiding you like a know-it-all, and she is less "flawless" than kaede by far, who is a messiah since the beginning and becomes a patron saint after her death. Maki is much more of an artificial shit device of appeal than all three so i'm not even throwing her in.

kaito is pretty unique in the series for role, interactions and characterization, and as you said he's far from being a mary sue so the comparison with chiaki doesn't even make sense.

why wouldn't the kaito comparison make sense? they fill very similar roles in their respective games, being the supporting deuteragonist who is there to catch the MC when they're tripped up by the horror of the killing game. even their deaths are similar (kaito is essentially forced to cooperate with ouma because he doesn't want to make harumaki a killer, like chiaki he was executed because of a crime he had little control over before he had to work with ouma). they absolutely fill similar roles just like ouma is budget komaeda, for that reason alone it's worth it to compare him to chiaki. the thing is that kaito is still a dynamic character. he does some questionable stuff and regrets it (his fallout with shuichi after case 4 for example), he has real flaws and he is forced to work with his worst enemy which is imo just the peak of his character development. whereas chiaki is completely static, never does anything wrong, and even her flaws are played only as means for the reader to further like her as i have already explained.

i criticize every DR character that is basically a shoehorn for a certain fetish or type of fanservice, it's one of my main criticisms for the franchise. it's why i think ndrv3 had a horrible female cast, because most girls feel like fetish wish fulfillment by the writers. i also never only stated the issue for chiaki, i explained my view on her because dofla specifically singled her out from the DR2 characters i consider bad. chiaki isn't so bad to the point where she leaves the other shitty DR characters in the dust, there are worse offenders than her. that doesn't make her remotely interesting, compelling or well-written though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin View Post
    dr1 > ndrv3 > dr2 cast-wise

dr1 has the strongest average, what characters actually stick out as bad in that game? in my opinion it's only hifumi, he's a complete waste of space but outside of him no one is a bad character imo. the only one that comes into question is hiro really cuz he is pure comedic relief, but he's still best boy to those who have patrician taste

there are rather forgettable characters (leon though only because he has the misfortune of being disposed of after the very first chapter of the franchise, they jumbled up celes pretty bad too), but dr1's cast was imho far and beyond the strongest one all in all.

explanations for ndrv3 and dr2 in spoiler tags cuz ink hasn't finished those yet, hard spoilers obviously

ndrv3's male cast is easily the best one in the franchise. in my opinion the only mediocre male in it is korekiyo and he is still extremely entertaining cuz of how memeable he is. the problem is that ndrv3's female cast is horrendous. whereas there is no bad male character in ndrv3, i will also say that there's not a single good female character. the only good one is imo kirumi whose motivations and character are ruined by the TDR twist, but outside of her, they're all shit.

angie - had all the setup in the world to actually do something cool with her, then she's thrown away for yet another double murder
    himiko - trash loli bait, also for some reason talks about piss all the damn time
    miu - got old really fast for me
    tsumugi - lol
    tenko - trash yuribait with horrible gimmick
    maki - muh edgelord, started off extremely promising, then her character nosedived after the ultimate assassin reveal
    kaede - gets treated like an innocent cinnamon roll by the game despite her wrongdoings, nothing really to her outside of the protagonist switch which was very obvious

now dr2 has the best peak in the franchise, which is komaeda. kuzuryu is unusually well developed for danganronpa characters, and i personally like nekomaru and ibuki too. i will also say that gundham's antics are pretty entertaining, and that mikan is pretty okay. while i dislike hajime, at least he was noticeably different from makoto

but akane, souda, sonia, hiyoko, peko, chiaki and mahiru are horrible, they are irredeemable tier. there's more mediocre/bad characters than good ones in DR2 which is the only main game where this is the case, in my opinion anyways

Word for word, this is more or less perfect. My only grievances is that Peko doesn't warrant to be there because she's neither offensive enough (Akane/Hiyoko) or quite as forgettable (Mahiru).

NDRV3 especially was accurate. The male cast was by far the best and I enjoyed how they all held some degree of competence. The previous games had 3 characters at most capable of formulating intelligent thought whereas I actually felt Memekiyo, Ryoma, Rantaro and Kiibo could contribute to trials without being part of the main cast.

Fuck Ouma though. His character is the biggest fucking mess in all 3 games.

The girls by comparison were JUST. Maki was a massive disappointment. She was essentially Kyoko without any of the traits that could have made the latter likable. It doesn't help that some horrendous actions on her part are brushed off. Himiko was also a waste of development and time. Even Tenko, despite her shitty gimmick, was becoming half-way okay until the writers decided to uses her as fodder for an even less impressive character.

I don't even know where they were going with Angie and Shirogane.

Overall, I'd still count DR1 as my favorite of the 3 but DR2 ultimately the best. DR1 did atmosphere better than any of it's successors; 2's expansive island was great visually but being trapped in the school while having zero fucking clue about the overarching plot fit the horror genre better and the inevitable Junko reveal was decent.

DR1's cast were also the most charming - They weren't as obnoxious as DR2's (Chiaki) nor did the writers try to be so intricate with their development/murder schemes that they ended up going over the rails and fucking up like NDRV3's (Ouma). Motives like Sayaka's, Mondo's, Sakura's and even Celes (depending on if you think she went off the deep end) were simple but effective. The only problem, imo, was Kyoko, whose plot armor and heavy focus did not belong in a horror setting. While I do like her, she's ultimately one of the most destructive components in the series and the game would have been a lot better without her because the others could actually contribute something.

Though, I'll admit that the transition from Chapter 5 - Chapter 6 was strongest in V3's. Keeboy nuking the school was pretty hype. Shame it got ruined by literally the worst character in all the games acting as the mastermind.

Also, Hajime is the worst protag.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to correct their taste.

Read if and liked it.

I'm about to be sorely disappointed am I not.

IF is great

and yeah you are

Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    IF is great

and yeah you are
    yeah, IF was a really great read. Legitimately enjoyed it. Shame its a pretty short one.

oh well,
    after I soldiered through this and the other path-thing I'll pick up V3.

if you really want to watch it, watch it with future arc as well

they were meant to be watched together, and one of the few things the show does well is the info trade between the two series.

episodes order is supposed to be future 1, despair 1, future 2, despair 2, etc etc

oh.

Okay.

Will be doing it like that then.

Here goes

didn't take long to give up on the anime

lol

Y's gonna wrap it up?

i guess i better finish 2 at least

Quote Originally Posted by Crispickle View Post
    didn't take long to give up on the anime

lol
    I ended up skimming it.

I've made a terrible mistake

Nr1 Tired Dad of TMF Featherine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Y View Post
    This doesn't sound good

Started danganronpa 2.. Let's hope it's fun

Quote Originally Posted by gn_x00 View Post
    Started danganronpa 2.. Let's hope it's fun
    played dr1?

Did you quit on DRV3?

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post
    Did you quit on DRV3?
    I'm on case 5

I'm on case 5

Thoughts so far?

And Kiyo was basically Crispy, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by DoflaMihawk View Post

Thoughts so far?

And Kiyo was basically Crispy, amirite?
    He is Crispy.

Kokichi is the reason I keep playing honestly

He is Crispy.

Kokichi is the reason I keep playing honestly
    He even got offended when I made the comparison. Can't imagine why.

Yeah it was the same with Nagito last game, pretty much carrying the cast post-case 4.