From now on this will be the method for selecting Contributors
1. People will no longer sign up to become Contributors. You are welcome to tell us so that we may take you into consideration or even suggest someone for the spot, but ultimately it is the staff that will nominate a member to become a Contributor based on his or her performance in the site.
2. Once the staff agrees, in private, that so and so should be a Contributor the staff will first ask the member if they are willing to commit. If they are, then a public thread will be made asking if anyone disagrees. If a noticeable chunk of members do not disagree we will go ahead and make that person a Contributor. People may voice their disagreements in public in the specified thread (as long as it's done civilly) or privately.
3. The members reserve the right to complain to the staff about the performance of any Contributor. The staff will evaluate the complaints and see if they are valid. If they are valid the staff may advise the Contributor.
4. If it's determined that the Contributor has taken a long absence without letting the staff know before hand they will be demoted. If they are banned due to rule breaking, they will be demoted. If a large amount of legitimate complaints are given regarding their performance, the staff reserves the right to demote them.
5. It must be stressed that the Contributor position is not a guarantee of becoming staff, although being a Contributor is a requirement to become staff.
I will keep this thread open for questioning regarding the new system, but will most likely delete all posts and lock it later.